Position 2020 Rucks

What is your Ruck lineup?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

wonder how many that finished lets say, top 20, started with Gawndy
To be fair, I didn't have Gawn until round 14 last year and was the top ranked team for most of the year up until round 17. I fell a part afterwards but one player won't make or break it, it's more the collective. If the net gain is higher without Gawn then go for it but it is painfull not having him, particularly due to captain potential.

Hopefully I can fit him in this year :moustache:

Thoughts on Sam Naismith?

He has had a horror run with injuries, but from all reports is over them and running/ training well.

Is the only Swans No.1 ruckman on the list and will play every game he is available. At 27 is coming into his prime as a ruckman.

I know it's stupid, but I think I'm going to pick him for R2.

Mods, can we get a large scale down here to weigh the size of the balls on this bloke. I’m thinking about 8kg.

Same here, had Gawndy all pre-season. But paying $700k for someone who currently has a knee injury, has had an interrupted pre-season and can barely do light jogging at the moment... just doesn't strike me as a good idea.

Will be keeping an eye on Gawn's progress, but I'll probably be going Grundy and Nic Nat.

Naitanui has literally had one really good year. And that was 7 years ago. He just doesn’t play enough time. I don’t know the stats but he must play 10-15 minutes less than other rucks.

Naitanui has literally had one really good year. And that was 7 years ago. He just doesn’t play enough time. I don’t know the stats but he must play 10-15 minutes less than other rucks.
You get what you pay for.

Want better go Lycett or Marshall but for that amount of spend might as well just grab Gawn and save a trade.
100k won't cover not having him but 250k definitely can.

Sexy Steph at 500k. I went to him from Gawn which allowed me to do Jack Steven > Neale. I’ve been desperate to get Neale in and get Steven out so it worked out well. He plugs away, missed 4 games in 5 years. Was down a bit last year but played very well against Port. It gives me a lot more stability because who knows if Steven is even going to play and if he does, will he be any good?

This Gawn debacle is killing me!

I currently have Marshall at R2 but if Gawn is good to go for Rd1 i am going to be chopping and changing my whole team to get him back in.

If you don't start with Max it will be just to hard to get him in i think if your R2 is doing ok which most will be except for if injury strikes or unless you go mega risky at R2 with a Nic Nat or Ceglar type option which could do anything!

Marshall should be everyones R2 if you are not taking Gawn with Grundy IMO.
Don’t discount Goldy. A very solid option behind Gawn.

Mods, can we get a large scale down here to weigh the size of the balls on this bloke. I’m thinking about 8kg.

As I've already said in this thread earlier, Naismith is a very sound pick if you have a backup r/f in the forward line. Should go 80+, nailed down the number 1 spot at the Swans, and is 450k cheaper than Gawn. Only needs to demonstrate a sound preseason for mine.

All these people taking about starting English, Naitanui, Goldy etc, what are you going to do if Gawn is clearly better than these guys (a likely scenario)? Eventually you'll need to trade to upgrade or just put up with losing 20-30 points each week? You basically have to hope you select the right guy who is going to have a big year or you'll be behind from the start and have to trade eventually anyway.

And if you start Gawn, what happens if he has a slow start after getting over his knee injury? That's 700k you're spending remember.

With Naismith it's almost like starting a rookie at R2, you get cash generation and you get to see which of the big ticket rucks is performing before settling on your R2 around round 8 or 9. Plus the extra 450k helps shore up other lines especially now the rookie situation is looking weak in defence.

So to summarise, if you pick Naismith you should win or at least break even with other choices if he can string together 7 or more games averaging 80+ (you would expect better). You lose if Gawn starts pumping out 130+ from R1 or one of the other cheaper rucks improves enough to be a season long keeper or you burn a trade if Naismith goes down.

As things stand at present I'm happy to take the chance.

As I've already said in this thread earlier, Naismith is a very sound pick if you have a backup r/f in the forward line. Should go 80+, nailed down the number 1 spot at the Swans, and is 450k cheaper than Gawn. Only needs to demonstrate a sound preseason for mine.

All these people taking about starting English, Naitanui, Goldy etc, what are you going to do if Gawn is clearly better than these guys (a likely scenario)? Eventually you'll need to trade to upgrade or just put up with losing 20-30 points each week? You basically have to hope you select the right guy who is going to have a big year or you'll be behind from the start and have to trade eventually anyway.

And if you start Gawn, what happens if he has a slow start after getting over his knee injury? That's 700k you're spending remember.

With Naismith it's almost like starting a rookie at R2, you get cash generation and you get to see which of the big ticket rucks is performing before settling on your R2 around round 8 or 9. Plus the extra 450k helps shore up other lines especially now the rookie situation is looking weak in defence.

So to summarise, if you pick Naismith you should win or at least break even with other choices if he can string together 7 or more games averaging 80+ (you would expect better). You lose if Gawn starts pumping out 130+ from R1 or one of the other cheaper rucks improves enough to be a season long keeper or you burn a trade if Naismith goes down.

Courage

I don't understand why you say this. More courage involved in picking Naitanui for mine because Naismith is so cheap. The downside to Naismith is certainly there but it's fairly small so long as you have backup if he misses a game. If he breaks down again it just costs you a trade.
Because the risk you run is that Grundy and Gawn go 150/150 and Grundy and Naismith go 150/80

I haven’t totally rejected the idea and put Naismith in for Gawn to see how it looked
Enabled me to upgrade 2 premiums towards and defence so it certainly looks nice on that score

You'd want to wait until the end of the marsh series to see if Naismith can get through at a decent TOG %. Jacobs too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a look at him be hes played like 22 games of some s**t and I was like * that. Then I had a look at guys like Marshall and ROB who broke out last year and Marshall had played 13 and ROB only 2 :think:
Naismith could potentially average 90+ as Sydneys main ruck

Would take a massive set of plums though

whens the last time he actually played a game?

Umm yep. No thanks.

As much as people dissin on NicNat in here. The thing he offers that the other rucks dont is more cash to spend (250k) on your team than the dearer rucks like ROB and Marshall but also hes closer to Gawns price than Sauce or Naismith when it comes time to grab the bearded one.

If you start Nic or Sauce who I still reckon is acceptable risk you do it with a plan to upgrade them to Gawn either ASAP, at their bye or when Gawn bottoms out, if he does at all.

Nics a decent option due to Telly Shuey Yeo Gaff Redden Sheed at his feet.
Sauce because of Jelly Ward Cogs Whitfield Williams Punchable and because he has his bye the week after Gawn.:rainbow:

Back