List Mgmt. 2020 Trade/FA TARGETS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade hypotheticals and discussion of how you think or want a trade to happen go here - 2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread.

If you want to talk about a current Hawthorn player and if they’re staying on the list, it goes here - Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Trade/FA targets thread is for discussion of News about players we are to target via trade of FA. It’s not for “Kane Cornes says we should get this player”.

Wasn't Frost despised by Melbourne fan base?

But I do agree on Atkins, do not touch

I know a couple of Melbourne supporters, and not one was happy to get rid of Frost. They all felt that he should stay ahead of McDonald, who has the poor kicking skills of Frost without the ability to take the game on at pace.

I just did a quick count and small forwards have kicked 28 goals against Adelaide so far this year. Obviously that isn’t all Laird’s fault but if you think he would be able to come in and fill Stratton’s defensive role then you will be severely let down. Laird is an accumulator who doesn’t damage opposition teams, not a lock down defender.

Hardwick offers more defensive capability and effective rebounding than Laird and I have the stats to prove this. Laird has lost 75% of his defensive 1v1’s in 2020 compared to Hardwick who has lost 42.9%, despite Hardwick contesting twice as many contests. Hardwick also makes 3.5 times more spoils that Laird per game. Hardwick’s kick efficiency (81.9%) is 14.2% better than Laird (67.7%) which is a very significant difference. Hardwick also gains significantly more ground with his disposals. Don’t forget that Hardwick is 3 years younger too so he has more room for growth and improvement than Laird.

I’m quite strong in my opinion that Laird is overrated and I know that is jarring because of the public and media perception of him. I’d honestly rather play Impey, Hardwick, Scrimshaw, Frost or Day on smalls and continue to persist with CJ, Morrison, Greaves etc. than pay the exorbitant price it would cost for Laird. Anyway that’s my rant on that topic.
Lairds had 2 goals kicked on him by direct opponents this year, while hardwick has had 7. I’d love to see where you got those stats because anyone who loses 75% of their one on ones would probably not be getting a game, unless he’s had 4 contests and they were all against key forwards I can’t really see that being true. The fact he’s also only had 2 goals kicked on him directly doesn’t really back up that claim. As I said, I’d rather Williams, by a mile, but if laird wanted out of Adelaide and could be had for a reasonable price, we’d be stupid not to look.

Last edited:

Laird is a decent defender IMO. I think that's an underrated part of his game because everyone focuses (and lauds) his ability to accumulate and rebound.

Again though, Williams is a much better option for us as he does more with his touches, is a better kick and is quicker. Most importantly, he won't cost any draft capital.

What we've seen historically is that teams don't succeed by trying to imitate the most successful sides of the era. There's nothing to be gained by trying to build our team to be Richmond, the key is to build a team that beats Richmond.

Yep, Hardwick eventually learned this.
Think of the changes they underwent in a pre season, it was phenomenal. No one rated their list, 12 mths later they were a benchmark, still are.

Last edited:
Lairds had 2 goals kicked on him by direct opponents this year, while hardwick has had 5. I’d love to see where you got those stats because anyone who loses 75% of their one on ones would probably not be getting a game, unless he’s had 4 contests and they were all against key forwards I can’t really see that being true. The fact he’s also only had 2 goals kicked on him directly doesn’t really back up that claim. As I said, I’d rather Williams, by a mile, but if laird wanted out of Adelaide and could be had for a reasonable price, we’d be stupid not to look.

Obviously I wouldn't read too much into the stat as they are such small sample sizes & also don't properly take into account who had the advantage in the contest.

I will say however that Laird is not a good defender. He may have 'fewer' goals kicked on him than some others but he plays on the 'least dangerous' half forwards every game. I know for a fact that team mates in defence get frustrated by his lack of accountability which opens them up. He is a very good attacking defender, I just don't think that is what we need at all right now, we need a lock down small defender, although I think in time Greaves/Pepper are being groomed for that & a lock down small defender is not something you're going to pay much for.

Extremely soft. Poor kick for an outside player. Not a line breaker for an outside player.

And isn't getting a game for a team that's locked on the bottom of the ladder.
Same club that didn't want Lyons, Henderson and Greenwood. He would be a good get and would be in our best 22. He's not a star but not every free agent needs to be.

Obviously I wouldn't read too much into the stat as they are such small sample sizes & also don't properly take into account who had the advantage in the contest.

I will say however that Laird is not a good defender. He may have 'fewer' goals kicked on him than some others but he plays on the 'least dangerous' half forwards every game. I know for a fact that team mates in defence get frustrated by his lack of accountability which opens them up. He is a very good attacking defender, I just don't think that is what we need at all right now, we need a lock down small defender, although I think in time Greaves/Pepper are being groomed for that & a lock down small defender is not something you're going to pay much for.
Ahhh ok so his career one on one loss is around 30% which makes a lot more sense and puts him right around where hardwick is. We’ve lamented our poor ball movement from the back half all year, so ideally we could use both a lockdown to cover Stratton when he finishes up and a run and carry, link up defender as I get the feeling day will be moved into the middle when his body permits.

I seem to recall that there was a lot of talk on here regarding Karl Amon a few years back. Was there any substance to that? He seems to have raised his a game a few levels this year - feel like it would have been a great get! Anyone know his contract situation?

I seem to recall that there was a lot of talk on here regarding Karl Amon a few years back. Was there any substance to that? He seems to have raised his a game a few levels this year - feel like it would have been a great get! Anyone know his contract situation?
He explored his options back in Victoria but there were no takers.

He's now developed into a handy player. Think we missed a trick there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we want cheap speed then Jayden Hunt is out of contract this year. Not getting a game at Melbourne. Can't remember if his disposal is any good or not

If we want cheap speed then Jayden Hunt is out of contract this year. Not getting a game at Melbourne. Can't remember if his disposal is any good or not
Poor kick with a low footy IQ.

Wouldn't be totally against it on the cheap and hoping he can be turned around once you wipe the Melbourne stench off him but jeez he is a flawed player.

I know it’s not trade or free agency Related but cbf starting a thread for it, but can anyone access the article in the Herald sun on the champion data top 25 vic kids coming through?

Same club that didn't want Lyons, Henderson and Greenwood. He would be a good get and would be in our best 22. He's not a star but not every free agent needs to be.
If Rory Atkins is in our best 22 then we are not in a good space.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

I like the sound of some of these players - but I'd much prefer we try and trade WBD's first rounder and go with two firsts and potentially a second (unless if it's used to acquire WBD's first) and stack points for Downie.

if they miss the finals (which is looking more likely by the week) this would be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back