Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Introductory Comments:
  • This is the most Thylacine list I’ve ever seen. DEPTH. It’s amazing. Just bow at the alter of SOS and pray.
  • The amount of ‘gee that was good’ moments I had today was simply off the charts.
  • The overall fitness of this group is just superb. An amazing improvement in 12 months. Fair play to Soapy- he called it a year ago.
  • The number of disappointments were, well it was probably only one and I don’t want to hammer him so I won’t feature it too much.
  • The balance is so good. Mature. Middle age. Developing youth. The brand new kids can just take their time.
  • They just really like each other this group. They have fun.

Let’s clear off the protocols. Injuries etc.
  • rehab group was SPS (who did no running at all), Kennedy (who did slow running and had a knee strap), Kemp, then 3 who did a fair bit. MCG, Jack and McKay. McKay is flying. And huge. Did more running today than last time. And kicking which is great to see for someone coming back from groin problems.
  • Jack is in great shape. He kept giving MCG a 10m head start in 150m runs and ran him down. Not that MCG looked bad either.
  • Macreadie and Marchy still in rehab. I timed Marchy at a 20 sec 150 which is the fastest I’ve clocked anyone this summer. In superb shape running wise. Must be close to rejoining. Macreadie also fit.
  • Ed C seemed to be there at the start of training then left and I don’t know at what stage (but def early) or why
  • Kreuzer, Murphy, Newman, Gibbo: all players with question marks from previous sessions all participated fully the whole day. No issues. Great to see. Kreuzer looking super lean and fit.

———
The main group had a number of players I don’t know attend. Johnson from the Northern Blues was def one so I gather the others are also from there. Maybe 5? Making up numbers for the game simulation.

—-
They started drills in three groups. Agility drills.

One on one marking drills. Tackling and evasion drills. Not much to report here. Quite liked the first drill: lead and mark, then leading player push back and defend on a lead back to goal square. Newman way too good for Honey was about all that stood out.

—-

Then the real excitement began. 3 x 15 mins of match play. I’d say they went at 90 percent. No bone jarring hits etc but pretty full on.

It was simply outstanding play. Keep in mind no McKay, CC or MCG. Yet some of the play was breathtaking. Elite.

The first quarter was largely Possibles Vs Probables. Dow and LOB were in the Possibles which was interesting. And for my only real negative of the day: LOB showed why. He was fumbly, his body was a bit weak in the tackle, and his kicking was average. I’m going to pass it off as rust, but it was a shame as he’s had such a good preseason. The other two quarters the teams were thrown around.

Positionally the players were as expected: Weiters, Newman, Jones, Plow, Simmo and Doc the backline. Crippa only played mid. Ed started mid then I lost him. Eddie and Martin forward with Levi. Murph a bit forward and mid. Dow the same. Cunners Mid in the ‘Probables’ and that will never happen again....more on him later. Setters and Lob on a wing. Walsh played mid, wing and forward. Newnes wing and half back. Kreuzer Pittonet and TDk all shares the ruck. Casboult no ruck time.

Just a quick notes dump for you...

1st quarter quick thoughts:
Backline looked immense. Walsh and Cripps amazing. Hard to see how they can keep Cunners out of the side. A long way in front of Dow this quarter.
——-
Q2: Walsh to a wing. Super Impressive Fisher, Murphy, Cripps, Casboult chain.

Play of the day Cunners break tackle and 50m goal. He’s on FIRE. Fisher terrific. Hands. Standing up in tackles. Skills. Pressure

Newnes solid. Martin solid. Cunners. Amazing. Honey showed up well! Walsh strength in a tackle terrific. Overall just amazing.

Like this is the single best session I’ve ever seen. SO much to like. Especially Harry McKay running so powerfully.

Kennedy sore knee not at full pace. Macreadie who must be 37 years old now.

LOB disappointing so far.
——

Third quarter

Willo on wing now. Cunners showing same again. Dow a nice burst. LOB fumbled. Honey lots of power.

Stocker looks fit. Really nice centre clearance by stocker. Walsh looks super. Stronger. TDK actually looking good in ruck. Winning Hitouts. Lang moving the best he has at he club.

Philp showing nice signs. Nice size. Good pace. Stocker showing great signs.Weitering too good for Levi.

Dow showing good signs. Kicking is fine. Maybe needs more of it. Stocker good hands in close. Martin nice mark.

Newman continually running off half back. Fantastic Paddy Wow moment. Crumbed. Burst from a pack. Snap goal.

Dow burst. Gosh Finbar hasn’t been.....too bad???

In case you’re wondering...Eddie is stilll afreak. He kicked 3?

Setters just consistently good. Keeps getting the ball. Using it well.

——

After the game play finished they did more work.

5 min 3/4 field work x 3 I think? Transition practice. Some random guy showed a bit. Number 7. NFI who he is.

Cripps fitness is sensational. What stood out for me in the game and in general was that his running to contest has gone up a level. He’s SO fit now.

Philp really showed somehting then stuffed his kicks. Weitering looks sensational. Everything about Dow kicking is better. Refusing to be rushed. No more exaggerated ball drop. Neat low and punch.
——
Then they finished off with running of course. The painful 2 min, 90 sec, 30 sec and repeat drill they do.

Order:
Walsh and Cottrell killed it.
Doc
Newnes
Simmo
Goddard
Setters
Ramsay
Murph
Fish
Martin
Dow
Lang
Polson

——
That’s a notes dump. Now a collection of my general thoughts. I may do a Player By Player Year on Year review later.

Generally we are SO impressive now. Here’s why:
  • Fisher, Walsh and Cunners can all stand up in tackles now. Especially the second two.
  • The balance of the midfield group is outstanding. Want a bit of grunt? No problem. Cripps and Ed can get in there and get it. Stocker a watch here too! A few times in the midfield today he showed clean hands, a strong body and an ability to make sharp decisions.
  • Want inside / outside? No drama. Cunners (I’m coming to him), Walsh, Setters can all do it.
  • I love our link up play. It started to show up last year and I really see it being a strength this year. These guys are all great in a chain: Martin, Gibbo, Simmo, Doc, Walsh, Fish, Cunners, Setters, Crippa. Just super decision makers in close. Great users. They will string the ball together brilliantly as a group this year.
  • Weitering and Jones in tandem is a sight to behold. Casboult destroyed Goddard in Q1 of the match play. But in Q3 they put Weiters on him and he was simply too good. I feel so safe with him on anyone now. Fantastic.
  • We feel so much stronger all over the ground. Add the big three into the forward line and I feel we have no material weaknesses.

Some player thoughts. In order of ‘blew me away’.....Ok fine, it’s not a Sam Walsh moment....but Jesus H Christ Cunners is impressive. It’s not just his burst. Please I beg you to watch the hands. It happens WAY too often. He has the best hands at the club. Single best. No doubt. His reflexes are freakish. His hands at his feet are sublime. Then after the gather he can side step a small cargo ship. Then straight speed forward. He’s unstoppable. Then what? Lace put delivery that’s what. He’s strong in a tackle. Let’s stop kicking around here. fu** the forward pocket sh*t. Screw the high half forward rubbish. Put the kid in the guts and get the fu** out of his way. This is breakout city here. Like there is too much data on his positive attributes now. He has one residual weakness: he gets lost. Stanton called out at one point “what are you thinking Cunners?” A telltale sign of what they discuss and what he is still working on. He was just ‘watching’ the game at the time. Doesn’t worry me at all. I’ve said it before: Kouta had the same problem and it’s overcome by taking thinking out of it.

Go get it son!!!!!! Off my head excited at what he showed me today. And has all summer. Massive fan. Massive fan.

Crippa. He’s number two on the Windows Hall of Holy sh*t. He’s......better. Yep. He’s better. His running and agility are 10 percent up. He’s overlap running- never seen that before. Numbers to the contest stuff. Getting on the outside. Pushing back hard to defence. He’s not Walsh like but shittttt.

Jacob Weitering is the AA CHB Locked in. Just forget it. He’s bigger. He’s stronger. He doesn’t look slow. His kicking, marking, general footy play is all off the leash. I can’t think of a defender I’d prefer. If the ball comes slow into our backline this year just forget it. He will halve it or win it back. He was too strong for LEVI today. Read that again. He was too strong for LEVI.

Sam Walsh comes in at number 4 on Windows’ Why We Can Make the Top 4 List. He’s got the body strength of a 25 year old now. You can’t bring him to ground. I thought his running had dropped off a tad. Nope. He pushed Cottrell ALL the way in the runs today. His kicking is better. His contested ball is better. This off his outstanding year last year. I wouldn’t swap him for any player under 25 in the game. Please don’t think of him as a ‘good young player’. He’s just a fu**en gun NOW. He’s elite NOW. He just makes me smile repeatedly. He does everything so so well. Clean hands. Smart decisions. Of course my fave is the slalom runs. At one point today he literally ran around in a circle inside 4 opponents and then mysteriously popped out on his own. Calm in the moment.

Think about this centre square setup and tell me you’re not excited: Kreuzer, Crippa, Walsh and Cunners. I’d back that group against ANY four in the Comp.

Like Zaccy Fisher is standing up in tackles. He’s getting to the outside. He is hitting up targets. And I’m not sure how to fit him in! Murph is Murph. Simmo is Simmo. Kreuzer is Kreuzer. Jones is (the new) Jones.

Newman just dispelled any rubbish thoughts I had about him not being best 22 today. Forget that sh*t. Laser left leg. Good one on one. Ran hard and created. Forget it. He’s a lock. Willo was good but has a bit to go. Btw willo murdered Kreuzer in their 150s.

I will do a player by player later but I’ve never been happier with our list. Sorry I just have too much to say. I have a lot on today so it’s hard to make this concise and I’ll add more later.
Nice post. Particularly like the Cunners stuff there mate.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1593392312001

Some nice highlights
LOB looks to have some serious wheels running from HB Would be a good addition to the side with that run and long kicking
Stockers snap from 45 that sails through
Honey just running through the indigenous opponent on the mark on the wing

Would be good to see the * goals to see the flaws as well.

You missed the best bit!

How about the pressure applied by Fisher at the 2:00 minute mark, which led to an Owies goal?

We're all about pressure at senior level at the moment, particularly across half forward. Fisher will love it and that bit of play with multiple terrific efforts won't go unnoticed, I'm sure.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1593392312001

Some nice highlights
LOB looks to have some serious wheels running from HB Would be a good addition to the side with that run and long kicking
Stockers snap from 45 that sails through
Honey just running through the indigenous opponent on the mark on the wing

Would be good to see the * goals to see the flaws as well.

Anyone know why the scratch match is only 12 v 12? Do we not have enough players available?

Would make structures very different and afford a lot more space, making offensive plays that look impressive far easier. I'm sure Essendon also got many similar open goals.

Still, some nice highlights that showcase some of the ability of our younger players.

Love Fish, but geez I wish he'd develop at least a basic ability to kick on his right. He is completely one-sided and reliant on his left.

Fisher looked great. Pressure but also clean ball-handling.

Honey not too bad either, although some of his positioning around the ball looked a little....wrong.

Love Fish, but geez I wish he'd develop at least a basic ability to kick on his right. He is completely one-sided and reliant on his left.

I know what you're saying and it will undo him every now and then, but in the most he's quick enough to get onto his favoured leg.
There will be times it will present an issue....I just don't think it will be too often though.

there's another skinny runt at the club I've been saying the same thing about for 15 years............
I don't know if you've noticed but I reckon he's used the right more in the last 2 years than he has for the previous 16 combined.

He's not exactly hitting up targets with it but he's been getting plenty of clearances with it, though he has hit 1 or 2 on the right when he has had to recently. Be good if Fisher could at least get to the point where he could get a clearance or 2 with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love how the shots that don't score get swept under the rug in the official stats. Seems like a fairly simple oversight.

Still though, Levi is shooting at 100% ;)
that goal from the boundary cut a curling arc through the night sky like a planet on its orbit...........a beautiful, beautiful thing...................

I don't know if you've noticed but I reckon he's used the right more in the last 2 years than he has for the previous 16 combined.

He's not exactly hitting up targets with it but he's been getting plenty of clearances with it, though he has hit 1 or 2 on the right when he has had to recently. Be good if Fisher could at least get to the point where he could get a clearance or 2 with it.
simmo gets out of trouble with it more often these day - used to be if he was trapped on his right, the whistle would go and the ump would say "come on, kade, hand it over........."

that goal from the boundary cut a curling arc through the night sky like a planet on its orbit...........a beautiful, beautiful thing...................
I believe I squealed oh my god

You missed the best bit!

How about the pressure applied by Fisher at the 2:00 minute mark, which led to an Owies goal?

We're all about pressure at senior level at the moment, particularly across half forward. Fisher will love it and that bit of play with multiple terrific efforts won't go unnoticed, I'm sure.

The back to back pressure in the clip you mentioned was so encouraging. There’s hardly anything of Fish, but if he can be a pest like that he’ll cause some real havoc.
Overall like the highlights here. Have to say I’m loving the look of Owies. Quite a latecomer to footy but seems to have some real football IQ. Positioning in marking contests is usually excellent, and his goal sense is impressive. Might be hard to crack into the seniors if we keep playing well, but could do a lot worse than giving him an opportunity.
It is nice to have options - plenty of guys right there pushing for spots.

Did cost a goal on the weekend when he hit the wrong side of the ball and it went straight up in the year towards the middle of the ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Back