Live Event 2021 AFL National Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We now have two players who have brothers at other teams. The last time we had this the two players won 6 premierships for Hawthorn between them.

(Note* I know Peter retired before Shaun came to Hawthorn.)

Bremner20

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2012
Sale Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We really should have traded JOM, Mitchell, Breust and Gunston.

Not sure how any of them are going to get a game next year with Ward, MacDonald, Butler and Serong coming straight in for Round 1.

🤷‍♂️
Bit of a statement this draft IYAM that our current midfield group particularly the ones we traded in at the expense of all those draft picks don’t really have the confidence of the new coaching group anymore to bring us any success in the immediate to mid term future that’s for sure .

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Not sure if it has been mentioned (probably has)

But reminder that the Suns traded pick 19 (Johnson) just to dump Will Brodie...

Embarrassing club

Embarrassing club
No, the AFL are the joke. They handed GC 19 so they could dump a player. Absolute farce

Scrads

Club Legend
May 31, 2009
South Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Atlanta Hawks

Embarrassing club

After last night I asked what we would have had to give GC during the trade period to end up with Matt Johnson and Darcy MacPherson/Will Brodie...

We really should have traded JOM, Mitchell, Breust and Gunston.

Not sure how any of them are going to get a game next year with Ward, MacDonald, Butler and Serong coming straight in for Round 1.

🤷‍♂️
They'll get games in 2022, but I think we'll follow a similar trade week plan for 2022 where we attempt to move a player or two from the 28+ brigade out for picks or pick upgrades.

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Definitely looks a really good draft haul for us. 4 mids all with different skill sets. A lovely increase of talent in our weakest area of the ground (imo).

Would think Ward gets good game time next year. Plus I’d like to see MacDonald and Butler play some games. Serong will take time but looks a likely type.

Our future midfield is looking a lot more promising now.

Adding a Wardlaw, Tsatas or Holland next year will really cap it off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Going by the player comparisons that must have been some sort of draft, a Tom Hawkins comparison went at Pick 57.

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
First to admit , I dont follow the draft and under 18s players as much as others .
See highlights hear the chat , all that stuff.

Our recruiters have done really well in the last few drafts , so I'll back them in again.
Love we loaded on mids and love they all seem ripping kids too .

Wards composure ( only highlights ) looks absolute class , heard enough from people who know that Butler and Macdonald are great gets for us .
Serong ill back our recruiters in with , but looks a nice size .

Exciting stuff

RIOLINWITPUNCHS

Big Footy Member
Sep 30, 2009
Back Of My Kombi
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I found a replay of Longmuir and Bells' reaction when we picked Serong a pick before them:

tenor-4.gif

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
They'll get games in 2022, but I think we'll follow a similar trade week plan for 2022 where we attempt to move a player or two from the 28+ brigade out for picks or pick upgrades.
Omeara Hartley O’Brien are 27 and next year only Sicily moves into that category

Adding a Wardlaw, Tsatas or Holland next year will really cap it off.
We’re not finishing bottom 3 though.

daniel23

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
After last night I asked what we would have had to give GC during the trade period to end up with Matt Johnson and Darcy MacPherson/Will Brodie...

It's a good deal for freo but they also had to take on brodie's 500 k a contract which we would never have done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back