Review 2021 AFL National Draft (Part 2) | NM - JHF, GOAT, PCurtis, MBergman, JArcher

Remove this Banner Ad

It's very obvious they did not rate any of the KPD's outside Gibcus & likely Aleer.

How do we know that?

He could have been rated just after Goater, hence why we traded up to potentially get him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Souup thoughts on Ned Long and Charlie Dean going as a rookies?

We obviously had the choice of not listing Lynch at all and punting on one of these guys.

I think rookie range was right for both of them - hype around Charlie Dean in particular leading into the draft was a bit much.

It's hard to rank them against Lynch. From a purely a picking players that might improve our side 2-3 years from now, clearly Dean and Long can make that happen, Lynch cannot. However, it's no secret we see Lynch as more than a player in the long-term. I do need to say that picking up Long made absolutely no sense for us, whereas picking up Dean with a rookie would make some sense.

Anyway, Lynch will be valuable in the short term after we lost guys like Tarrant and Tom Campbell with their seasoned heads and leadership. I've rated Lynch's career and I think he still has something to offer in the short-term as well as the long-term with the idea of him joining the club as a coach.

Last edited:
I'm in the camp that Lynch is a good get as both a player and coach. He's only turned 31 and is an aerobic beast so great depth when the mid season slog is on. Great transition player who will be invaluable to our high half forwards like Sleevo, TT and Mahony to learn from.

Good experienced players like Lynch and Greenwood who train hard, are good clubmen and set excellent standards will be invaluable to our young list over the next couple of years.

Why?

We didn’t have a pick from 23 to 30. We could have rated him 23 for all we know.

Unlikely - we had a pick one pick before he was taken by the eagles and didn't take him.

CBF reading 90 pages.

Someone give it to me in a nutshell, did we win the draft or did we dun goof it ?

Seems first two picks were solid and bargains, the rest we paid overs for.
JHF is an anti vaxxer and Goater is currently protesting PizzaGate in the CBD.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luffs comments in the Q&A make that very clear.

Unlikely - we had a pick one pick before he was taken by the eagles and didn't take him.

Fair call. I forgot about the Curtis pick before Bazzo.

I wonder if Bazzo’s personal issues played a part in us passing on him.

I wonder if Bazzo’s personal issues played a part in us passing on him.

I dunno. Curtis seems like a very good prospect. Maybe they would have gone Bazzo if they had the next pick tho.

Interesting in reflecting on this about what we did as far as trading picks on night 2. Bundling up picks 42 and 47 for 32 and 52 from the Dogs made a lot of sense and enabled us to get Curtis. At the time it seemed like the price we paid for the pick we used to get Bergman was a bit steep (a future 3rd rounder tied to the Dogs plus 52 to the Pies for 38) given we have no second round pick next year either. But you sort of see that at that pick we had the choice of Howes, Warner, Taylor, Draper etc. as well who seemed to be reasonable prospects but if we stuck with 52 (which became 49 I think) those blokes are gone and some left field names start appearing. Also the Pies traded away a future 3rd to Geelong move up two spots in the mid-40's as well to get Draper (they had ones to spare) so on the surface we seem to have got better value with our trade in terms of turning two 3rd round picks into a 2nd round one instead of a higher 3rd round one.

So the list of about 30 names they mentioned in the Q&A resonates with what was done on the night and just holding on to the later pick (52/49) meant a decent chance that those names were all gone and instead they were able to their pick of one of the targeted players instead of hoping one slid through which probably was the correct call at this early stage. it'll be interesting to see what happens next year given we only have our first rounder and a couple of 4ths (the Liam Anthony's of the pick world). If we're terrible again we might at least be able to get a compensation pick but hopefully that's a moot point.

View attachment 1292985

So in the end net results:

#1 -> Jason Horne-Francis
#22 -> Josh Goater
#40 + 2022 R3 -> Paul Curtis + Miller Bergman
2022 R2 -> Callum Coleman-Jones
Robbie Tarrant -> 2022 R4
#56 -> Jackson Archer

Interesting in reflecting on this about what we did as far as trading picks on night 2. Bundling up picks 42 and 47 for 32 and 52 from the Dogs made a lot of sense and enabled us to get Curtis. At the time it seemed like the price we paid for the pick we used to get Bergman was a bit steep (a future 3rd rounder tied to the Dogs plus 52 to the Pies for 38) given we have no second round pick next year either. But you sort of see that at that pick we had the choice of Howes, Warner, Taylor, Draper etc. as well who seemed to be reasonable prospects but if we stuck with 52 (which became 49 I think) those blokes are gone and some left field names start appearing. Also the Pies traded away a future 3rd to Geelong move up two spots in the mid-40's as well to get Draper (they had ones to spare) so on the surface we seem to have got better value with our trade in terms of turning two 3rd round picks into a 2nd round one instead of a higher 3rd round one.

So the list of about 30 names they mentioned in the Q&A resonates with what was done on the night and just holding on to the later pick (52/49) meant a decent chance that those names were all gone and instead they were able to their pick of one of the targeted players instead of hoping one slid through which probably was the correct call at this early stage. it'll be interesting to see what happens next year given we only have our first rounder and a couple of 4ths (the Liam Anthony's of the pick world). If we're terrible again we might at least be able to get a compensation pick but hopefully that's a moot point.

View attachment 1292985
I guess Bergman will be the question mark until he starts to fill out a lot more.

I guess Bergman will be the question mark until he starts to fill out a lot more.

Beegman was in our plans and rated at the mark by the club - ahead of some other on here would have preferred but that means nil.

He’s a good 18-24 months off playing weight I would think so yes you are right we won’t know much about him for a bit but I’m not sure that makes him more a question mark than others tbh. Everyone needs to prove themselves don’t you think?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back