Strategy 2021 Draft and Hypothetical pick trade proposals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol seriously can we just have a ban on posting things ol clickbait Kornes says…

none of it is interesting and it’s all designed to just stir people up.

Hodgey wants a new rule! Hodgey gets a new rule.

No more clickbait s**t from Cornes in here.

Also:
Can we also threadban Rendell quotes. The bloke is senile.
Done ✔️

Neither does stupidly overpaying for Big Boy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ok, someon
I was responding to a post that suggested the Bulldogs should piss away a first round pick on a ruckman who is absolutey on his last legs. Casboult was a stupid option I’ll admit - but honestly if I was a Bulldogs supporter and the list management folk gave away a first round pick on a ruckman who is turning 33 and isn’t even the first choice ruck at his club any more I’d be incensed.

When we got Lake it cost us pick 43 and a 6 pick upgrade for the Bulldogs in the second round. Lake played for 3 years and was still one of the dominant players in his position. Same can not be said for McEvoy, as good as he was.
This seems to be getting out of hand. I think I replied to the wrong person which has started all this. There was a post about trading Ceglar to the dogs for pick 17. I was saying if I was the dogs and I was willing to trade 17 for a ruckman, I’d take McEvoy over Ceglar and have a red hot crack at it next year.

Losing one of Jaeger or Tom is absolutely something we need to consider depending on what currency is gained from the trade. My thinking is that due to Jaeger’s injury history and much lower ceiling from his early career is that he wouldn’t get much back at the trade table.

Doesn't that suggest... the opposite?

Hawthorn will have a hole in the 26-29 age range of the list. So get rid of the best players in that range?

Seems like one of the weaker arguments for Hawthorn to trade out senior players.
I read it as Mitch is giving both Jaeger and Tom a massive back hander.
That's gunna piss people off.

I quite like Clark and have suggested Hawthorn trade for him.

But if Geelong are going to insist that a decent second round pick isn't nearly enough for a bloke who was kicked out of the backline, just to stagnate outside their best 22 for two seasons, it was never worth thinking about.
Looks like Clark is going to Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, someon

This seems to be getting out of hand. I think I replied to the wrong person which has started all this. There was a post about trading Ceglar to the dogs for pick 17. I was saying if I was the dogs and I was willing to trade 17 for a ruckman, I’d take McEvoy over Ceglar and have a red hot crack at it next year.

Yes and I still think, having read that twice, that’s a stupid thing to do from a list management perspective being that McEvoy is fairly well cooked. As stupid as me bringing Casboult into it.

WTF? Hawthorn have the most salary cap so we should trade out our best players? Mitch must have had a big weekend!
This guy has been on a bit of a crusade to make a story out of nothing at the Hawks...
I do find it surprising that no Hawk seems to be putting their hand up for a move after Clarko's departure. I thought we'd have quite a bit of movement because of that but nothing has materialized as yet. Probably suggests we're creating a good environment in our post Clarko era.

He is one of the best in the business, possibly the best actually.

He has good mail, which means when something is going to happen he has a good idea in advance - but this isn't based on mail it's just speculation.

Doesn't seem like leadership is the big issue for us either, we're well drilled and they both set high standards for preparation and behaviour off field.

He said we had a void in leadership between 25-30 so we should trade our only leaders in that age bracket
Its a stupid take, one that shows no balance

You might like him, but its a s*** take
I think he slightly misspoke but his main point was more centred around using our cap space to move on some of the older guys for an extra first round pick, Gunston was his main example.

A thought shared by most in here

Pretty sure you can't trade/sell player payments with the player not making up pay of the trade.
Future 4th?
😂
I actually still like the idea of trading for GilWS' Pick 2 & using the Cogs money as part of the deal:

Cogs + Pick 2 for Pick 21 + 24.

Heavily weighted in our favour & they'll never do it? Sweet, keep your Captain - that doesn't want to be there - for the next 5+ years on $1m.

I think he slightly misspoke but his main point was more centred around using our cap space to move on some of the older guys for an extra first round pick, Gunston was his main example.

I didn’t listen, I’ll grant you. And maybe it’s my lack of morning coffee talking - but why does cap space have any bearing on moving on experienced players? If we had a cap squeeze, sure - but we have ample cap space and there’s no real free agents to go for and we’ll likely not give up picks to acquire a big fish on big money. So, why does our cap space have anything to do with moving experienced players for draft currency?

"

Wouldnt that more look like say taking a Coniglios contract and getting a good pick with him? So you're getting the good pick and the win for GWS is clearing a heap of cap to then be able to retain some of their better young players in the next couple of years?

Isn't that how you would use your cap room to move forward? (Aside from free signing free agents)... Rather than trading out another decent sized contract to just create more cap space?

His point now and has been for most of the year has been that we should trade out Mitchell, O'Meara, wingard, Gunston for picks

The Gunston idea im down with

But if you start trading players who dont want to leave, trust becomes broken with the playing group, an idea that the AFL.com media team dont understand

I didn’t listen, I’ll grant you. And maybe it’s my lack of morning coffee talking - but why does cap space have any bearing on moving on experienced players? If we had a cap squeeze, sure - but we have ample cap space and there’s no real free agents to go for and we’ll likely not give up picks to acquire a big fish on big money. So, why does our cap space have anything to do with moving experienced players for draft currency?
The assumption is that we’ll move a player on, pay half their salary and get a much better Pick in return.

I actually still like the idea of trading for GilWS' Pick 2 & using the Cogs money as part of the deal:

Cogs + Pick 2 for Pick 21 + 24.

Heavily weighted in our favour & they'll never do it? Sweet, keep your Captain - that doesn't want to be there - for the next 5+ years on $1m.

Can we just make that deal contingent on Cogs never being allowed to address the side in a group setting? Those scenes from Making Their Mark still make me cringe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back