List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Here's the Phase 2 GWS Academy list for 2021:

View attachment 1099908

Josh Green obviously carried over from his non-selection by either GWS or Richmond last year. Josh Fahey back after a year on the Gold Coast - the indications from the AFL are that he remains eligible for GWS to select (I don't understand how, but happy to accept!). Sam Stening was an U16 AA player, so high hopes he has continued to develop. Patrick Voss mentioned by PMBangers yesterday playing for Oakleigh Chargers (obviously at boarding school in Victoria). Not too many possibilities from Western Sydney - Kai Watts was a good performer at the U16 championships, but seems to have dropped off a touch since then.
Fahey moving back to remain eligible is possibly the smartest move the club has ever made. Watts I'm guessing will be a non-selection, Voss and Stenning are similar heights in the forward line, so I'd guess we only take 1 unless we lose a couple

Am I correct in saying Fahey is our best and a likely late first round selection??
He's relying on his champs performances more than Voss, as it stands he's back end top 20 for me

Last edited:

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Call me nostalgic but wouldn’t it be great if we picked up kade Simpson in the mid season draft

love him

Call me nostalgic but wouldn’t it be great if we picked up kade Simpson in the mid season draft

love him
Short term solution for a short term problem. Isnt the worst idea.

Poor Buntine is really struggling.

Less so this week, but still, it seems we need to find a better option.

Both Perryman and Whitfield to come into the side the next few weeks

Both Perryman and Whitfield to come into the side the next few weeks
2 of the top 3 in last years BnF have to help.

I was more thinking of this week, assuming they are unavailable. (Hopefully one or both are back)

2 of the top 3 in last years BnF have to help.

I was more thinking of this week, assuming they are unavailable. (Hopefully one or both are back)
Reid will come in for Buntine

Buntine to play VFL on Saturday

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Watching the Swans re-sign their youth....

giphy.gif

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
A bit of an update on the Josh Fahey situation:

JOSH Fahey looms as the best Northern Academy talent for this year's NAB AFL Draft and is tied to Greater Western Sydney, but that hasn't been without some conjecture from rival clubs. Fahey, a poised and attacking half-back who some recruiters view as a possible top-20 pick, joined the Giants Academy when he was 13 and was part of their development programs before relocating to Queensland in 2020 with his family due to his father's work.

While there, he joined Gold Coast's Academy while playing for Broadbeach in the local competition, and also played for the Suns' Academy. However, at the end of last year Fahey moved back to Canberra (where he is living with a family member) and he returned to the Giants' Academy, spending time with the club over summer and playing in some VFL practice matches for GWS.

Under AFL rules, a player is eligible to join a club under the northern Academy system if they have spent five years in a row in its region leading into the draft, with Fahey's time in the Gold Coast Academy breaking that run. However, earlier this year the Giants sought approval from the AFL to have first rights over Fahey and were granted permission, with the League ticking off on his eligibility given over a period of time he has spent five years – and a vast majority of his development – within the Giants' Academy.

Inside Trading: Cats to lock in young guns, why GWS wants Magpies to keep losing (afl.com.au)

Also came across this if anyone is interested

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
A bit of an update on the Josh Fahey situation:
An interesting decision from the AFL. On the face of the info, he should have dropped out of the academy program and be in the open draft pool. But the circumstances - essentially GWS academy for 6 years out of 7, including the first 5 years in a row, and a one year absence due to family reasons - make it a reasonable decision, if you take a broad view of non-AFL state development goals. But that's my point - the AFL normally doesn't make reasonable decisions regarding the GWS academy. Perhaps last year's situation where we lost two top 14 picks (i.e. Caldwell & Hately) for bugger all recompense after just 2 years has made them wake up to the reality of GWS' situation - they need to actually help the home-grown talent prosper or the club will become what the Victorians have always wanted - a feeder club being picked apart by Vic clubs paying less to bring them home. And it's not like we keep all of our academy kids anyway (Setterfield, Kennedy, Steele).

Glad to see an intelligent decision, although we'll now have to put up with Victorian whinging about the decision.

Glad also to see him selected in the VFL team today, it will be interesting to see how he goes both today and for the remainder of the season (hopefully!). Ideal for us if we get the two early draft picks (Pies & ours) and could grab him by matching a second round pick ... depending on how the season and trade period end up for us!

An interesting decision from the AFL. On the face of the info, he should have dropped out of the academy program and be in the open draft pool. But the circumstances - essentially GWS academy for 6 years out of 7, including the first 5 years in a row, and a one year absence due to family reasons - make it a reasonable decision, if you take a broad view of non-AFL state development goals. But that's my point - the AFL normally doesn't make reasonable decisions regarding the GWS academy. Perhaps last year's situation where we lost two top 14 picks (i.e. Caldwell & Hately) for bugger all recompense after just 2 years has made them wake up to the reality of GWS' situation - they need to actually help the home-grown talent prosper or the club will become what the Victorians have always wanted - a feeder club being picked apart by Vic clubs paying less to bring them home. And it's not like we keep all of our academy kids anyway (Setterfield, Kennedy, Steele).

Glad to see an intelligent decision, although we'll now have to put up with Victorian whinging about the decision.

Glad also to see him selected in the VFL team today, it will be interesting to see how he goes both today and for the remainder of the season (hopefully!). Ideal for us if we get the two early draft picks (Pies & ours) and could grab him by matching a second round pick ... depending on how the season and trade period end up for us!
Hopefully we have 1 (Collingwood) and 18 (ours) and Fahey gets called at 19 as a surprising drifter after a terrific year in the VFL.
That Vic clubs blow up after we as premiers bring in more amazing talent.
I can dream right 😀

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Chesser and Sinn selected so far with 2 late picks to go, thinking I'll go a KPD at some point but apart from that might just do a best available

Hi GWS dudes, likelyhood of Josh Kelly leaving? Cameron's move of him to half forward suggests he's well and truly out of favour. Can definitely see him moving at years end to a premiership contender, depends if he's willing to take a pay cut to win a flag.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Hi GWS dudes, likelyhood of Josh Kelly leaving? Cameron's move of him to half forward suggests he's well and truly out of favour. Can definitely see him moving at years end to a premiership contender, depends if he's willing to take a pay cut to win a flag.

He isn’t out of favour. He is being used where he can benefit the team in Cameron’s eyes.
He is racking up touches.

As for will he go?

I can’t see him going to Victoria for less so unless a North or Carlton throw in a mega deal then I can’t see him going.

He isn’t out of favour. He is being used where he can benefit the team in Cameron’s eyes.
He is racking up touches.

As for will he go?

I can’t see him going to Victoria for less so unless a North or Carlton throw in a mega deal then I can’t see him going.
Ok thanks, playing your best mid IMO on the half forward flank though is a waste. He's a top 5 mid in the AFL when he's up and about. That's my 2c anyways.

So the tigers playing Dusty forward is a waste? Very similar split forward/mid...
Except Josh Kelly is getting pushed out of centre bounces by Brent Daniels, Kelly isn't getting any mid time at all.

Put some respect on that name. Binga is great.
Agree, I think he's a great little player but the fact that he gets 5+ centre bounces a game when Kelly gets 0 is bewildering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back