List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
it is, but not as specific as some of the weird stuff Swamp comes up with - but anytime you’re put in the same category as Leigh Matthews you gotta be happy.

That's why I'm always a fan of "lists of people who had lunch at a Lebanese cafe in Moorooka".

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
Or it means with all the spare cap with the players that have left past season that they could redo Greene’s contract to take advantage.
Hopefully he stays for a couple more years at least. I don't want a drawn out trade like with jeremy cameron. It might be pick 2 and Kelly for pick 1 and norths 2022r1. If we get pick 2 from Collingwood, it will be bumped down to pick 3 after Collingwood match bid on daicos

Last edited:

bossman111

Team Captain
Feb 18, 2008
Syd
AFL Club
GWS
Hopefully he stays for a couple more years at least. I don't want a drawn out trade like with jeremy cameron. It might be pick 2 and Kelly for pick 1 and norths 2022r1. If we get pick 2 from Collingwood, it will be bumped down to pick 3 after Collingwood match bid on daicos
He’s a free agent if he opts out of his option, we’d get a first rounder after our own pick if he walks.

tbh $1m back in the cap and a third first rounder not a bad result

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
He’s a free agent if he opts out of his option, we’d get a first rounder after our own pick if he walks.

tbh $1m back in the cap and a third first rounder not a bad result
But if I asked you who would be harder to replace in our current list out of kelly and cogs....?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Keeffe going down really leaves us thin in the KPD department currently, and once again highlights our need for another young KPD imo.

The most immediate solution is the MSD, although I'm not overly happy with the options around the traps we could look at Jack Johnston from GCS VFL, he's one I thought was an outside chance in last year's draft, physically mature but won't really do much greater than lock down on opposition.

At trade period I'd be looking at a 21-23 year old option that's on the fringes (or best 22 if we can convince someone like that across). I was recently reminded of Oscar Clavarino from the saints, 22 this year and has been close to debuting a few times, as a quicker solution end of the year, I like it

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
By my thinking, we have 8 KPDs on the books - Davis, Taylor, Haynes, Keeffe, Buckley, Stein, Buntine & Fleeton.

That ignores Idun, putting him in with the medium/small defenders, which by my view also total 8: Ash, Cumming, Idun, Reid, Kennedy, Wehr, Brown & Shaw.

That also ignores guys such as Perryman & Whitfield who play in defence at times.

So the issue is not a shortage of KPDs (or defenders more generally) on the books, just the massive injury toll with 4 out - any club will struggle with that toll.

Last trade/draft period we went with Fleeton, who to mine is closer to a Haynes replacement than a fist or second KPD, and not really able to replace Keeffe/Davis.

So the question is, do we select someone in the MSD with a view to extra backup in a position of shortage ... but then what do we do at end of year? Do we look at a delisted back - such as Macreadie or Goddard - to provide an injection of someone experienced, or go for someone who has just missed on recent drafts like Jack Johnston, Dyson Hilder (SA) or Daniel Sparks-Fahey (SA)? Or are we prepared to thrown HH and/or Riccardi back if required (noting we still have Briggs & Flynn who could play forward if we're really short of bodies. An interesting question for the club to ponder.

By my thinking, we have 8 KPDs on the books - Davis, Taylor, Haynes, Keeffe, Buckley, Stein, Buntine & Fleeton.

That ignores Idun, putting him in with the medium/small defenders, which by my view also total 8: Ash, Cumming, Idun, Reid, Kennedy, Wehr, Brown & Shaw.

That also ignores guys such as Perryman & Whitfield who play in defence at times.

So the issue is not a shortage of KPDs (or defenders more generally) on the books, just the massive injury toll with 4 out - any club will struggle with that toll.

Last trade/draft period we went with Fleeton, who to mine is closer to a Haynes replacement than a fist or second KPD, and not really able to replace Keeffe/Davis.

So the question is, do we select someone in the MSD with a view to extra backup in a position of shortage ... but then what do we do at end of year? Do we look at a delisted back - such as Macreadie or Goddard - to provide an injection of someone experienced, or go for someone who has just missed on recent drafts like Jack Johnston, Dyson Hilder (SA) or Daniel Sparks-Fahey (SA)? Or are we prepared to thrown HH and/or Riccardi back if required (noting we still have Briggs & Flynn who could play forward if we're really short of bodies. An interesting question for the club to ponder.
I actually believe that the KPD issue is overstated for the reasons you state.
Only difference, I see Idun as a a defender who can take tall or small. He seems to get the 3rd tall. He'd struggle with a genuine key forward though. He'll probably get 1 this week though.
With our injuries, not adverse to picking up a state league key defender in the MSD.
Short term solution for a short term problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I actually believe that the KPD issue is overstated for the reasons you state.
Only difference, I see Idun as a a defender who can take tall or small. He seems to get the 3rd tall. He'd struggle with a genuine key forward though. He'll probably get 1 this week though.
With our injuries, not adverse to picking up a state league key defender in the MSD.
Short term solution for a short term problem.
For the ease of demonstrating my point on numbers I ignored the ''middle category'' (able to take tall & small), into which you could put Buntine, Idun ... and possibly Haynes & Fleeton too. My point with Idun taking tall & small, though, is that I haven't seen him jump much ... or at all from recollection. He seems to do everything at ground level, hence why I categorised him as I did. But he may get the job this week, or Buntine. If Richmond bring in a third tall in CCJ, though, I'd hope we would consider Riccardi to be a closer match in height (and also inexperienced) rather than use Bunts at 11 cm shorter!

It's a no Faheys club, were only allowed one 😛
He could warm the seat up!

And a correction, it's Daniel Fahey-Sparks!

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
My issue is less so stocks, but more so quality youth in the KPD spots, or even quality depth. Stein and Buntine are not guys you want in the AFL side really, and Davis/ Keeffe aren't getting any younger, I think we should be looking for replacements, whether that's through trading or drafting

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
My issue is less so stocks, but more so quality youth in the KPD spots, or even quality depth. Stein and Buntine are not guys you want in the AFL side really, and Davis/ Keeffe aren't getting any younger, I think we should be looking for replacements, whether that's through trading or drafting
I do agree, but you always have to manage numbers within a balanced list - which is why getting Fleeton last year when we'd lost Corr to my mind unbalanced our numbers (and agreeing with you that Stein is limited). We've now got a compounded problem for next year that one of our true KPDs in Keeffe will be sidelined for the whole year.

This year, I'd let Buntine go (or Stein if they want to keep experience around), and hopefully get someone like Josh Gibcus or Rhett Bazzo to develop as that next KPD alongside Sam Taylor ... if we got a short term guy we could probably keep Keeffe on the LTI list for most or all of next year.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
With the LTI to Keefe the club has the potential to place him on the inactive list and pick up someone in the mid season draft and with plenty of non listed players seeing game time in the EAFL it will be good to see a few standout performances although it is a KPD the club is short off with all the injuries it could be a different type of player the club picks up
Peatling is one that could have been considered a few years ago and Josh Green if they feel he could benefit from spending the rest of the year full time in the afl program

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Harrison Macreadie at Williamstown (on that list) also has a GWS connection. Not sure how or if he is progressing at Willy.
Haven't watched any Williamstown admittedly, but stats wise show he's not too crash hot even at that level

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back