List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Girlfriend has to want to live in WA for four years.
The four year contract thing is a bit of a red herring TBH. Contracts are almost worthless when a player asks to leave nowadays. Just gives freo a bit of extra leverage at the trade table if he asked for a trade while still contracted.
He could easily sign it then ask to be traded in 2023 or so while still contracted.

Max King in contract talks with Saints. Would we rather be paying Cerra 750k a year or Max King 850k a year? Would it be worth trading Cerra out for a king?
That would be like us trying to lure a player from Victoria and from the team he supported growing up that he already plays for.

Max King in contract talks with Saints. Would we rather be paying Cerra 750k a year or Max King 850k a year? Would it be worth trading Cerra out for a king?
Thought I read the other day that he’d signed on. No chance of him coming here. Though watching his goal kicking last night - he’d slot in very nicely at the dockers.

That would be like us trying to lure a player from Victoria and from the team he supported growing up that he already plays for.
$$$ talks but you are right probbaly impossible.

Last edited:
$$$ talks but you are right probbaly impossible.
If money talked that much then North would be fighting off free agents. I can safely say there is more chance of Thorne from Peel becoming the best contested mark in the AFL then either King coming to Freo

Thinking about the Cerra speculation a bit more. We have reportedly put $700-750k on the table over 4 years for him. A very decent offer for a guy who is tracking to be elite by the age of 23/24 or so but still a lot of $$ in the context of what most players are paid at his age and output.
So who in Melbourne are serious contenders for him? Let’s go through them:

1. Richmond - they have a bulging cap as it is. Bolton to be signed as a priority and tracking to be worth $800k plus. Hard to see how they could pay Cez more than $550k without upsetting existing tigers like Balta, Graham and Short who are looking for big paydays too. Will find it hard to get the picks required too without selling the farm.

2. Carlton - same issue. Cripps and Mackay to be paid $800k plus by end of year. Likely to have more attractive picks for freo than Richmond but a decent player would surely have to fall out of their list to fit Cez in for $700k plus on a 4 year deal.

3. Bulldogs - stacked midfield already. Bont needs his $1.2 or $1.3 million per annum pound of flesh out of them too by next season. Smith will also need to be paid the big bucks soon and we haven’t even seen JUH - the number 1 pick yet. Not a realistic option IMO.

4. Geelong - technically not in Melbourne. Renowned for not overpaying stars. Hard to see legends like Danger, Hawkins etc being too happy if that strategy was broken for a kid like cerra. The Cameron addition would also have tightened their cap a lot too. Not a runner for anything more than $550k pa either IMO.

5. Hawthorn - now we are talking a live possibility. Plenty of cap space with Patton and Scully off the books. However they have openly said recently they are targeting the next 2 drafts hard. Are they willing to hand over pick 2 or 3 in a deal for Cez? Would be a departure from the declared club strategy. A possibility at this stage.

6. St Kilda - have traded hard for stars recently. Cap would have to be bulging. Could really use Cerras class in the midfield. Already paying big $$ to Hill, Hannebery, crouch, Steele. If they paid Cez $700k plus, Hunter Clark and Nick Coffields managers would be rightly be banging on James Gallagher’s door after the exact same deals for their men. Just can’t see it.

7. North Melbourne - loads of $$ to spend. However would surely have to have pick 1 involved in any deal as second rounders wouldn’t cut it with Freo. Long way off success. Would be a damming indictment of our club if we lost him to north for less money than we are offering.

8. Essendon - a dark horse in my opinion. Would have the cap space and the picks to satisfy freo. Were into Dunkley last year and if that trail was cold then Cerra would be a live option instead. Big club, big history, could be very attractive to Cerra. I think they would have to match Freo’s offer to Cez to get him across but it could happen.

9. Melbourne - riding high at top of the ladder. Unlikely to have the picks to be in the ballpark. Petracca on elite $$ and Oliver probably not far behind him. Probably could squeeze him in at $700k but players like Pickett and Jackson will be looking for big money soon enough too. Less likely IMO.

10. Collingwood - not an option in my view. They simply don’t have the picks and are already struggling to get Daicos in the door without a big deficit in the 2022 first round. Would need to trade completely out of the draft in 2021 and 2022 to get Daicos and Cerra in the door and likely to still be left with a first round deficit in 2023. Unless a big fish like Moore or Degoey fell out and got them some draft currency but I can’t see that happening.

So there you have it. For me hawthorn and Essendon are the most likely realistic options if he really wants to get to Melbourne on similar money to what he is being offered here. Other clubs could be in the picture but I’d be very disappointed if he took significantly less $$ than we are offering to go to the likes of Richmond or Carlton.
Overall my instinct is that he will sign with Freo in the end.
I read that Bulldogs were resigned to the fact that Essendon would come hard again for Dunkley. That may well be the focus for Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s Wil Powell’s contract situation?

He’s not a dire need but I think he’s a much better player than what we’re currently seeing and if he wants to come home and we can get him cheaply, he’d be worthwhile being on our list.

What’s Wil Powell’s contract situation?

He’s not a dire need but I think he’s a much better player than what we’re currently seeing and if he wants to come home and we can get him cheaply, he’d be worthwhile being on our list.
Kinda reminds me of a taller lachie Weller silky as they come

Ignoring his birth certificate and the fact he's been overlooked by the every AFL club for 5 years. I want us to give Jye Bolton half a season on a list.

Had 29 possessions yesterday in the state match doing all the grunt work.

We have all said in the last fortnight we need more players to be like Cunnington and do the hard stuff. We need more workers in the middle. Give the guy a chance ffs as he can at least play that extractor role.

We have plenty of Thornes on the list...we've got a fwd line full of little guys.

Ignoring his birth certificate and the fact he's been overlooked by the every AFL club for 5 years. I want us to give Jye Bolton half a season on a list.

We have all said in the last fortnight we need more players to be like Cunnington and do the hard stuff. We need more workers in the middle. Give the guy a chance ffs as he can at least play that extractor role.

We have plenty of Thornes on the list...we've got a fwd line full of little guys.
I see it the other way. We have plenty of inside mids but no outside class

We have small forwards on our list but they are all b graders at best.

Fyi. Walters and Henry are both half forwards, not small forwards in my opinion.

FWIW I was told by an ex-AFL scout a couple years ago that he thought Bolton could possibly be AFL standard.

His age (even a few years ago) and the fact he had nothing that really stood out to recruiters worked against him. He might be able to come in and be 20-30 on an AFL list but recruiters are more interested in recruiting younger mids who may end up being a bit more than that. Tbf in our conversation he said similar about Marlion Pickett.

The same guy didn’t speak overly highly of the draft prospects of most other mature aged WAFL players at the time (flat out rejected the chance for most of them tbh). Btw Kelly, Ryan etc. were on AFL lists by then.

The guy had worked for a Victorian AFL club (think it was Hawthorn) for years and had only just given it up. Probably wouldn’t know much about younger blokes like Thorne and would tell you as such.

FWIW I was told by an ex-AFL scout a couple years ago that he thought Bolton could possibly be AFL standard.

His age (even a few years ago) and the fact he had nothing that really stood out to recruiters worked against him. He might be able to come in and be 20-30 on an AFL list but recruiters are more interested in recruiting younger mids who may end up being a bit more than that. Tbf in our conversation he said similar about Marlion Pickett.

The same guy didn’t speak overly highly of the draft prospects of most other mature aged WAFL players at the time (flat out rejected the chance for most of them tbh). Btw Kelly, Ryan etc. were on AFL lists by then.

The guy had worked for a Victorian AFL club (think it was Hawthorn) for years and had only just given it up. Probably wouldn’t know much about younger blokes like Thorne and would tell you as such.
Thanks for post and very interesting.

Basketball especially NBL won't do any long term development and will make decisions year by year.

Way different contests and AFL recruiters and list managers look long term with non star talent. Guys like Bolton are disregarded.

Geelong has a different approach and each year top up with short term players since their last premierships. They have stayed in contention for years with this list management style.

Hawthorn tried to do the same thing and have failed. Maybe, they just recruited the wrong players.

Getting back to Bolton, a team can get him for 20-30 games for 3 or 4 seasons with very little cost is better than a rookie 18 kid who has 10% chance of making 50 games.

Pickett, and Kelly would have been a list earlier.

Thanks for post and very interesting.

Basketball especially NBL won't do any long term development and will make decisions year by year.

Way different contests and AFL recruiters and list managers look long term with non star talent. Guys like Bolton are disregarded.

Geelong has a different approach and each year top up with short term players since their last premierships. They have stayed in contention for years with this list management style.

Hawthorn tried to do the same thing and have failed. Maybe, they just recruited the wrong players.

Getting back to Bolton, a team can get him for 20-30 games for 3 or 4 seasons with very little cost is better than a rookie 18 kid who has 10% chance of making 50 games.

Pickett, and Kelly would have been a list earlier.
I’ve watched him a fair bit unfortunately not being an athlete counts against him, to me he’s in the same mould as Lyons at Brisbane imo would be a solid contributor at AFL level.

I’ve watched him a fair bit unfortunately not being an athlete counts against him, to me he’s in the same mould as Lyons at Brisbane imo would be a solid contributor at AFL level.
Remember Barlow, overlooked in a few draft because he wasn't athletic .

Never seen Bolton play but his numbers seems outstanding in the WAFL.

Kane Mitchell had great numbers as well and played 35 games as a foot soldier at Port.

Remember Barlow, overlooked in a few draft because he wasn't athletic .

Never seen Bolton play but his numbers seems outstanding in the WAFL.

Kane Mitchell had great numbers as well and played 35 games as a foot soldier at Port.
Yeah it is interesting how they tell. Hard to pick sitting here why some non-athletes make it and some never get close. Sam Mitchell wasn't much of an athlete either.

NFL fans is it true that Brady isn't physically great which is why he went at 199?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back