List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would a Cerra Cripps trade look? Anything needed to be thrown in from Freo? Cripps is obviously better but he’s pretty banged up and older

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It wouldn’t look like anything because Freo don’t want or need him.

His manager is leaking stories and telling everyman and his dog that WA clubs are interested so Carlton will offer more money. Truth is nobody wants him except for Carlton, he hasn’t signed yet because Carlton is low balling him which they’re right to do given his performance the last 2 years. The guy can’t bend over to pick up the ball, my grandma in a wheelchair in mud can beat him in a race.

Cripps is 25, Mundy is 35. Let’s say the Grand Final
is tomorrow and you could only pick one to play who would you pick?

As steak knives? Neither worth much more than 30, if at all. Also, Geelong isn't in Melbourne, so any trade for those blokes would not be involved for Cerra.

Also, bit early on Neale isn't it?

If Saad is going for 7 we are getting a top 10+ or equivalent.
If the club rates Neale and wants a developing forward/ruck on the books why is it early? If they don’t rate him don’t get him.

His manager is leaking stories and telling everyman and his dog that WA clubs are interested so Carlton will offer more money. Truth is nobody wants him except for Carlton, he hasn’t signed yet because Carlton is low balling him which they’re right to do given his performance the last 2 years. The guy can’t bend over to pick up the ball, my grandma in a wheelchair in mud can beat him in a race.

I’d pick both if Cripps played for Freo. I would drop Acres and select Cripps and our team would be better

I don’t know what else would be factored into a trade, but those two would be of interest to me in a trade. I wouldn’t expect top trade value should Cerra leave, and I don’t see us moving forward with continually playing in development mode.
Cerra for Clark and Neale, or any variation of it, is a pretty damn crap deal IMO unless there’s also a first round pick in there.
I saw Neale play recently for the Geelong VFL side against the AFL academy. He looked miles off AFL level to be honest against a bunch of children and would be nothing more than token steak knives in any deal. Sure he could turn into a good player but it’s a speculative possibility at best.
Clark seems to be in the 22nd to 26th best player range at the cats.
Some difference between that and Cerra with a top 3 B&F under his belt before age 21.
Pick 12 (or thereabouts), Clark and maybe toss Neale in as a bit of cherry on the top and then you’d be in the ballpark in terms of a trade for Adam Cerra. The Adam Saad deal shows that uncontracted players are still worth a lot at the trade table.

For what it’s worth I can’t see any promising melbourne club matching the kind of $$ we have reportedly on the table for him.
So I expect he will sign. Money talks at the end of the day.

IF Cerra was to return to Victoria I would be looking at a trade involving Geelong’s Neale and Clark.

Jesus that would be bad. Clark pretty rubbish, has kicked one decent goal this year but otherwise been a passenger.

Neale ok sure but you'd be looking for a lot more quality.

Rather have a few picks from the Tigers than that

Are we playing in a GF tmrrw?
Possibly the most bewildering hypothetical I've read on this forum all season.

Are we trading Cerra and (something extra) to Carlton for a free agent Cripps?

That was the post I was replying to

Getting paid based on potential and the fact that he is Victorian.
And one more - the clubs image ...potential damage to the brand (Alcock and bell have already proven its high on their list of priorities.
- if cerra was to leave it would look very poorly on the club and the local media would have a field day with it

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Throw enough to Cripps that Carlton get first round compo. Trade cerra (if he wants to leave) for that compo pick and a 2nd rounder.
Trade 2x 2nd rounders for late first.
pick up key forward, bazillion and Williams
🎤 drop

If we had to reluctantly accept a Cerra trade, I’d take a straight swap with J Clark in a heart beat.
lol and so would Geelong before we finished the sentence. They are worlds apart. I wouldn’t let Cerra go to Geelong for their first pick and future first pick, and Jordan Clark.

Your Grandma in a wheelchair in Mud sounds pretty handy 😉

Thinking about the Cerra speculation a bit more. We have reportedly put $700-750k on the table over 4 years for him. A very decent offer for a guy who is tracking to be elite by the age of 23/24 or so but still a lot of $$ in the context of what most players are paid at his age and output.
So who in Melbourne are serious contenders for him? Let’s go through them:

1. Richmond - they have a bulging cap as it is. Bolton to be signed as a priority and tracking to be worth $800k plus. Hard to see how they could pay Cez more than $550k without upsetting existing tigers like Balta, Graham and Short who are looking for big paydays too. Will find it hard to get the picks required too without selling the farm.

2. Carlton - same issue. Cripps and Mackay to be paid $800k plus by end of year. Likely to have more attractive picks for freo than Richmond but a decent player would surely have to fall out of their list to fit Cez in for $700k plus on a 4 year deal.

3. Bulldogs - stacked midfield already. Bont needs his $1.2 or $1.3 million per annum pound of flesh out of them too by next season. Smith will also need to be paid the big bucks soon and we haven’t even seen JUH - the number 1 pick yet. Not a realistic option IMO.

4. Geelong - technically not in Melbourne. Renowned for not overpaying stars. Hard to see legends like Danger, Hawkins etc being too happy if that strategy was broken for a kid like cerra. The Cameron addition would also have tightened their cap a lot too. Not a runner for anything more than $550k pa either IMO.

5. Hawthorn - now we are talking a live possibility. Plenty of cap space with Patton and Scully off the books. However they have openly said recently they are targeting the next 2 drafts hard. Are they willing to hand over pick 2 or 3 in a deal for Cez? Would be a departure from the declared club strategy. A possibility at this stage.

6. St Kilda - have traded hard for stars recently. Cap would have to be bulging. Could really use Cerras class in the midfield. Already paying big $$ to Hill, Hannebery, crouch, Steele. If they paid Cez $700k plus, Hunter Clark and Nick Coffields managers would be rightly be banging on James Gallagher’s door after the exact same deals for their men. Just can’t see it.

7. North Melbourne - loads of $$ to spend. However would surely have to have pick 1 involved in any deal as second rounders wouldn’t cut it with Freo. Long way off success. Would be a damming indictment of our club if we lost him to north for less money than we are offering.

8. Essendon - a dark horse in my opinion. Would have the cap space and the picks to satisfy freo. Were into Dunkley last year and if that trail was cold then Cerra would be a live option instead. Big club, big history, could be very attractive to Cerra. I think they would have to match Freo’s offer to Cez to get him across but it could happen.

9. Melbourne - riding high at top of the ladder. Unlikely to have the picks to be in the ballpark. Petracca on elite $$ and Oliver probably not far behind him. Probably could squeeze him in at $700k but players like Pickett and Jackson will be looking for big money soon enough too. Less likely IMO.

10. Collingwood - not an option in my view. They simply don’t have the picks and are already struggling to get Daicos in the door without a big deficit in the 2022 first round. Would need to trade completely out of the draft in 2021 and 2022 to get Daicos and Cerra in the door and likely to still be left with a first round deficit in 2023. Unless a big fish like Moore or Degoey fell out and got them some draft currency but I can’t see that happening.

So there you have it. For me hawthorn and Essendon are the most likely realistic options if he really wants to get to Melbourne on similar money to what he is being offered here. Other clubs could be in the picture but I’d be very disappointed if he took significantly less $$ than we are offering to go to the likes of Richmond or Carlton.
Overall my instinct is that he will sign with Freo in the end.

Are you feeling ok? That’s a ridiculous suggestion!
Swap a top 3 B&F mid for a Geelong fringe HBF. How very early 2000s Freo
This is not suggesting they are of equivalent quality or standard. What you're not factoring is us having to take a haircut of some sort given our player wants out. And JC is younger with more development left to go (also plays as a fringe player in a side with far more depth).

Go and have a look at last night's Rohan goal where he runs deep into the F50 before kicking a soda - then look at how how he was put into that space.

If the club rates Neale and wants a developing forward/ruck on the books why is it early? If they don’t rate him don’t get him.
I feel like if we rated enough to chase him from another club in his first year we would have just drafted him when we had the chance.
I’d pick both if Cripps played for Freo. I would drop Acres and select Cripps and our team would be better

It doesn't though. The only inside player that plays wing is Andy and he's worse than Acres at it. He's also in better form than Cripps is this year as an inside mid, so remarkably it probably makes us worse and all it would costs is probably 500k per year.
I can definitely see the club going after a player like SPS for some positive PR.
None of the people who would be impressed by that would know who he is.
If we had to reluctantly accept a Cerra trade, I’d take a straight swap with J Clark in a heart beat.
JCF, Clark has some nice traits but would be lucky to fetch an early 2nd rounder at this stage. Even if you were happy with the idea, you'd still at least ask for a couple of decent picks with him.

Tigers, Bolton for Cerra. Blues Cripps or SPS and pick. Hawks or Bombers will have picks.
Looking at the Bulldogs, who wouldn’t love a stacked midfield?
Problem is without the talls stacked midfields don’t get the job done.
Tigers, Freo equal trade.
Blues lose SPS plus draft pick for
A Rolls Royce engine.
Don’t think Cripps would come here. Freo maybe break even?
Hawks, Bombers our development has gone backwards for picks.
If I were Cerra it’s us or Tigers, Blues.

Tigers, Bolton for Cerra. Blues Cripps or SPS and pick. Hawks or Bombers will have picks.
Looking at the Bulldogs, who wouldn’t love a stacked midfield?
Problem is without the talls stacked midfields don’t get the job done.
Tigers, Freo equal trade.
Blues lose SPS plus draft pick for
A Rolls Royce engine.
Don’t think Cripps would come here. Freo maybe break even?
Hawks, Bombers our development has gone backwards for picks.
If I were Cerra it’s us or Tigers, Blues.
Why though? He wouldn't get the same money we are offering him and Carlton are a basket case.

Max King in contract talks with Saints. Would we rather be paying Cerra 750k a year or Max King 850k a year? Would it be worth trading Cerra out for a king?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back