List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, I'm not anti-all trades. Aish most probably worked out ok. I think the Clark trade was ok. The Lobb trade was a bit of a draw so I don't have strong feelings about that either way. I'm all for trading for the icing on top players. They rarely cost a first rounder though.

Otherwise in the last 20 years or so trades that has involved a first rounder the player we targeted and got in that trade has very rarely made us a significantly better team? Brad Hill maybe?

Otherwise all our best trades largely have been due to someone wanting to leave and us making the most of it (Brad Hill going the other way or the Weller trade). Or we have used the picks in the trade to draft well but the actual player we have traded in has been largely disappointing.

Maybe things might be different but unless they are free agents I'm not keen in home run trade deals. Certainly not for players under contract or that cost (possibly multiple) first rounders.
MacPharlin has been the best traded in player we have had.

Did we? If the club rated Polak as the best player in the draft, we won it. It wasn't the trade that we stuffed up.

Even if you take that into account we traded for someone that needed to be under the influence of general anaesthetic for the deal to be done. The Hawks plan was to trade Croad back and we got played.

Even if you take that into account we traded for someone that needed to be under the influence of general anaesthetic for the deal to be done. The Hawks plan was to trade Croad back and we got played.

I can see your point, but McPharlin turned out to be worthy of a #1 pick by himself. Especially if we were going to just take Polak and Sampi (as I suspect would have happened). Hodge has been a hall of fame champion ... unlike most #1 picks ... so that muddies the argument. And we also gave up the pick which Hawthorn used on Mitchell. But I don't think we were ever going to take those players and we did better with the trade than we would have if we had kept the picks.

We then traded Croad back for pick 10. So we essentially traded #1 and #36 for McPharlin and #10. Which (again ignoring Hodge/Mitchell because we wouldn't have picked them) is a good deal. Unfortunately we had #10 (Drum) in a draft that had maybe the worst ever talent pool, with only Cooney (when fit) and Mundy being genuinely elite players. Heath Shaw the next best, and maybe half a dozen other good players of Jed Adcock quality.

It might also get lost amongst the McPharlin/Croad trade, but that same year we also traded Pick 17 (on-traded to Geelong who selected James Kelly) for the Wizard. I personally would take the enjoyment that Farmer provided, but won't argue with those who would choose Kelly.

I can see your point, but McPharlin turned out to be worthy of a #1 pick by himself. Especially if we were going to just take Polak and Sampi (as I suspect would have happened). Hodge has been a hall of fame champion ... unlike most #1 picks ... so that muddies the argument. And we also gave up the pick which Hawthorn used on Mitchell. But I don't think we were ever going to take those players and we did better with the trade than we would have if we had kept the picks.

We then traded Croad back for pick 10. So we essentially traded #1 and #36 for McPharlin and #10. Which (again ignoring Hodge/Mitchell because we wouldn't have picked them) is a good deal. Unfortunately we had #10 (Drum) in a draft that had maybe the worst ever talent pool, with only Cooney (when fit) and Mundy being genuinely elite players. Heath Shaw the next best, and maybe half a dozen other good players of Jed Adcock quality.

It might also get lost amongst the McPharlin/Croad trade, but that same year we also traded Pick 17 (on-traded to Geelong who selected James Kelly) for the Wizard. I personally would take the enjoyment that Farmer provided, but won't argue with those who would choose Kelly.
Id take the Wiz over Kelly. Man Farmer was awesome to watch. Our team was so bloody fun in that era. Under achieved in the end but footy was a blast.

You seem to assume we would have taken one of the big 3 with that pick #1?

If we ranked Polak at #1 then we got him + Croad (and the MacPharlin package) for pick #1. Similar to what WC did with Cesser and what we had the opportunity to do with pick 21.

It is a case of bad talent identification, and good trading.

If we ranked Polak at #1 then we got him + Croad (and the MacPharlin package) for pick #1. Similar to what WC did with Cesser and what we had the opportunity to do with pick 21.

I think the club is on record as saying we would have taken Polak at 1. However it was because of a fear of losing the vic talent after 2 years, not because we thought he was genuinely the best talent.
A perfect example of why drafting WA only is a folly in the long run.

I think the club is on record as saying we would have taken Polak at 1. However it was because of a fear of losing the vic talent after 2 years, not because we thought he was genuinely the best talent.
A perfect example of why drafting WA only is a folly in the long run.
We rated Polak at 1, but I think the rest is revisionist conjecture. A players commitment to staying at a club is a legitimate criteria in drafting decisions.

We were a shitshow back then. We had no idea what we were doing. We threatened the Hawks with the PSD so really McPharlin was a token add in because there was no reason why we couldn't have just taken him in the PSD.

Except of course we found out a month later that we'd blown our total player payments and lost our PSD pick. So we missed out on Fabian Francis instead.

That's why even if you take out the fact that the Hawks got two hall of famers (which I don't think you can personally) it was still a complete amateur hour display by our team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

16 and 35 for Bennell and 22... For someone of Bennell's talent and where we thought our list was at the time, I'd do that trade every day of the week.
Isn't that the point though? I would do that trade, and I would've done the McCarthy and Hogan trades. The pattern is that these trades have given us nothing in return.

That trade was 20 years ago. We got rorted by the Hawks.

I remember Croad got dropped in his second year. I think the club knew he was checked out.
He did kick 7 in a game against Melbourne. Farmer after the siren. That was fun

That trade was 20 years ago. We got rorted by the Hawks.

I remember Croad got dropped in his second year. I think the club knew he was checked out.
He did kick 7 in a game against Melbourne. Farmer after the siren. That was fun
Remember that game well..I jagged a spot in Connellys coaches box...Chris is so laid back...Cant imagine RL letting a sponsor into the box
Of course Cameron Schwab was pretty excited about Croad

In regards to Lachie Neale...My understanding is that Lachie expressed an interest in coming back, and the club were keen. Thinking he's a bit older now, will probably cost the equivalent of a pick in the early teens. Then the media ran with 6 and 8 for Lachie so the club pulled out, with many assuming we'd have another crack next year.

But with Erasmus and Johnson landing at the club, where does that leave Lachie? If either of the rookies play well in 2022 are we still interested in Neale? Surely if they both look comfortable at AFL level next year we don't want/need Lachie?

Thoughts?

In regards to Lachie Neale...My understanding is that Lachie expressed an interest in coming back, and the club were keen. Thinking he's a bit older now, will probably cost the equivalent of a pick in the early teens. Then the media ran with 6 and 8 for Lachie so the club pulled out, with many assuming we'd have another crack next year.

But with Erasmus and Johnson landing at the club, where does that leave Lachie? If either of the rookies play well in 2022 are we still interested in Neale? Surely if they both look comfortable at AFL level next year we don't want/need Lachie?

Thoughts?
We’ll know a lot more at the end of the year. Firstly whether we actually need him positional wise, where we are in regards to being serious final contenders & does bringing him in put us in that window? & also the extra year allows us to judge his form, fitness & generally how his body is holding up.

The other thing to consider is Fyfe, Mundy & to a lesser extent Walters. With Fyfes injury concerns, Mundy most likely playing his last season & Walters playing very limited midfield time, whether we’re in that flag window or not, we may need an experienced mid for a couple of years whilst our still relatively young mids gain more experience, particularly if Fyfe has further injury issues & is playing limited midfield minutes.

Tbh, I’m just very relieved that it didn’t happen this year & we were able to get Amiss & Erasmus with those picks that were being thrown around. The extra year will make things a lot clearer IMO.

Last edited:
We have a first round pick next year, then nothing. I want us to take that first round to the draft.

There's good reason to be bullish about the first round prospects next year in terms of quality and list fit. Neale chasing a retirement package has far less appeal. Game time to Erasmus, Johnson and O'Driscoll is a much better investment to our on ball options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back