Roast 2021 Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got my 2021 membership card in the mail. I get that the club is in a tough spot financially, but given that I spent over $1k on memberships this year that I received nothing from, and have committed to spending another $1k next year with no guarantee I will receive anything, you'd think the club could do better than two stickers. Oh, and a $20 store credit.

Our membership packs have been a joke for years, but now they're even rationing the stickers?

Maybe they'll send something out once we actually pay for the membership?

Thus is just the renewal letter I think.

Agree 100% Vikingnz

I didn't even get a voucher for mine or my Son's membership. Was that a paper voucher in the letter?

I didn't get one either, they should send it once we pay the first installment on Dec 1.

Edit: Just noticed this in the membership letter. $20 voucher will be emailed. 20201102_091144.jpg

Last edited:
Lol we just won a flag and there is covid staff cuts

give them time and chill

Sure, but this has been a trend over the past few years. Seems like the more members we have, the worse it gets. Hell, we don't even get a lanyard anymore. And it looks like they've done away with the membership tiers (Bronze, Silver etc)?

Different sport I know, but here's the Canberra Raiders membership pack at the same tier/price.

1604273223467.png

Years ago we got bottle openers, coasters etc. As we've gotten better the stuff members get is worse. Doesn't bother me much. But this year I reckon they've tried to get ahead of the problems coming in 2021. But I reckon they were a bit vague about it all, and created a poor impression that you'll nothing much as a member in 2021. Chrystal clarity is isn't.

We'll see. they'll get my memberships and off we go.

Sure, but this has been a trend over the past few years. Seems like the more members we have, the worse it gets. Hell, we don't even get a lanyard anymore. And it looks like they've done away with the membership tiers (Bronze, Silver etc)?

Different sport I know, but here's the Canberra Raiders membership pack at the same tier/price.

View attachment 1001038

The key difference is people can go watch the Raiders today. The MCG is only being allowed 25k in just for Boxing Day Test - no advice on capacity and rules for 2021 are yet to be announced.

Its possible some provision for spectator sport will be advised on Nov 8, but unlikely. More likely is that changes won't happen until Step 4 (which we need 14 days of zero cases to trigger)

As per Gale's video, they are already budgeting for ballots to decide who gets to go on match day. This is because at best the AFL is budgeting for 50% capacity at the G (last I heard). That means only 25k members per game, and thats by killing general admin.

until the club knows how many people they can get in per game, they cannot know how many games a H11 membership will be reduced to. There is a big gap between 3 and 8 games for example. This number will directly effect how much some people pay under the "pay if you go" model.

Also worth noting the club has surveyed members numerous times about this, and one consistent message we have given them is we prefer club reinvest money in the club over trinkets. Its why the scarf/cap stopped being mailed out - members complaining they didnt want it anyway, so dont waste money making it and posting it

I agree, we're no longer in debt, soft cap means we can't use reserves of cash on the footy department, personally I don't think they should be offering membership packages until there's more clarity on what the packages can actually offer

They have to because many people give memberships for Christmas, so that means getting them out in November. We are at least 11 days away from hitting the eligibility for Step 4 (and its highly unlikely we will rock 11 more donuts in a row, the stuff is still in our sewerage). If they waited until Step 4 is confirmed, they will miss the window for Christmas presents

I pay my membership to support the club and attend games. Not really fussed about the other stuff. It’s just a bonus, really. Happy to get it, don’t mind if I don’t.

I can see why others may be upset, though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1001038

That member pack looks amazing, I agree. But lets be honest, We have 95,000 more members than Canberra Raiders, so this isn't realistic, at all.

The $20 voucher they will be giving, is enough in the store for a members hat, or scarf. Or you can use it to purchase something else, which I will do.

Almost all clubs are cutting back.
I think North are fully digital with no member cards. Essendon have gone to 1 scarf every 5 years.
Unfortunately these things are so expensive. Stuff like the lanyards cost the clubs $1 or $2 ea, so for a membership base like us that's $100k-$200k. Couple this with extra shipping difficulties for covid and it's hard to avoid

They’re probably saving $1 million on the crappy lanyards. Good decision. Can we still get a scarf?
Everyone gets a $20 Superstore voucher. Superstore will stock members scarves and beanies (I take it for $20). So essentially you can choose if you want the scarf, beanie, or something else.

Then from a club persepctive, most people would spend over the $20 as well.

They'd also not need to over-order on the scarves to ensure they have one for absolutely every member, which will save some dollars.

Given the level of uncertainty with what 2021 will look like, in all of the circumstances, the club could not have handled the situation better. Conservative, measured, sensible.

The information in the membership pack is “vague” because that’s the reality of the situation.

When you have 100,000 members, that does not give a licence to blow money away and waste it. The consequence would not be just one unnecessary expense made, it would be one unnecessary expense made 100,000 times over.

I mean, at the end of the day, this Brendon Gale campaigner who sent the letter out to members, what would he know. 3 flags by 2020? Yeah right? ;)

transparency needs to be made as to were exactly each dollar is spent. If cutting membership items means someone keeps there job then I would be stoked to know that.

I get this thread is a bit 'old man yells at cloud' (which scares me; I'm only just in my 30s), and I know no one, least of all me, is going to cancel or renew a membership on the basis of a missing lanyard or scarf, but it was a bit like '...is that it?'

don't mind it this year, makes sense, but they were so tight after '17 and '19.

They could have given something back to members after those years, instead they doubled down on pushing more merch on us.

The was an article earlier this year talking about how the clubs are bloated operations (non-playing staff-wise) that live to spend money for the now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back