List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I always thought he was a forward. At least that's where he plays in nab league.
He was a defender at Wesley in year 11 in 2019 in his one year at the school
playing as a small forward (187cm) at Oakleigh this yeaf
Had 2 possessions against Essendon in vfl

He was a defender at Wesley in year 11 in 2019 in his one year at the school
playing as a small forward (187cm) at Oakleigh this yeaf
Had 2 possessions against Essendon in vfl
Yeah, I was there at the game. It was a tough day for our team. He struggled in the forward line. Very wet day.

Just throwing out something from left field (apologies if I am way off, or it has been brought up).
We all know that we traded away our picks for the draft.
My question is, is there a way we can utilize our inevitable early pick in the PSD to get a decent out of contract player (as we have no trade value).
If so, who would/could we target?

Just throwing out something from left field (apologies if I am way off, or it has been brought up).
We all know that we traded away our picks for the draft.
My question is, is there a way we can utilize our inevitable early pick in the PSD to get a decent out of contract player (as we have no trade value).
If so, who would/could we target?
No

I noticed a few people questioning if players will chose to nominate for mid season draft or wait for ND.
What’s the downside in nominating for the MD, or conversely the upside in waiting for the ND?

I noticed a few people questioning if players will chose to nominate for mid season draft or wait for ND.
What’s the downside in nominating for the MD, or conversely the upside in waiting for the ND?

Not sure. If it was me, I'd look for any available opportunity.

It depends how certain you are that you’ll get taken in the ND.

If you are someone like Edwards who looks fairly certain, you may consider to go that way, given the contract is better in terms of $ and length.

Plus he is finishing school anyway.

If you are someone like Edwards who looks fairly certain, you may consider to go that way, given the contract is better in terms of $ and length.

thanks - so how do the contract lengths and $’s differ.

Mid year draftee are rookie listed for the remainder of this year without any guarantee of anything beyond that. ND draftees are guaranteed 2 years. Difference in salary as well.

EDIT: pre-CV19, 2021 1st round draftees were to earn $100k if taken 1-20, $90k 21-40, $85k 41+ with $5k match payments. Rookies $80k with $4k match payments.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Players who are eligible for the mid-season draft can nominate for either a six-month short-term contract or an 18-month contract that ends at the close of the following season.

A short-term contract ending in October this year is worth $50,000 to a player (and an extra $20,000 if they are delisted and don't find another AFL spot elsewhere) under the AFL's rules.
Under the nomination form sent out by the AFL, other terms can be nominated by the player but only within the scope of the League's rules, meaning a player such as Edwards who has never been on a list will still be considered a first-year player if selected mid-season so cannot ask for terms above the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

A first-round contract for Edwards at the end of the season would lock him in at his club until the end of 2023 – longer than the 18-month deal in the mid-season terms – and at a better financial rate. But being selected mid-season would remove the risk of an injury in the second half of the season damaging his draft plans. - Callum Twomey

But you can nominate for a 6 month contract. In this situation he could just nominate telling clubs that he'll expect a 2 year extension at national draftee rates. Gains you dollars as it gets you an extra 6 months of pay.

1 name that I’ll throw in the ring mate. Jack Hayes from WWT, I think he deserves a chance.

Yeah Hayes looks good. I could definitely support that pick. It wouldn't be a popular choice picking up an inbetween size marking forward. He's 192cm and 24yo but his production is good. Guys with his production at SANFL level are as safe a bet as you get in a draft like this.

Smaller guaranteed contract size and length. Also might affect the team you end up at.

Yeah Hayes looks good. I could definitely support that pick. It wouldn't be a popular choice picking up an inbetween size marking forward. He's 192cm and 24yo but his production is good. Guys with his production at SANFL level are as safe a bet as you get in a draft like this.
Has crazy numbers playing as a small ruck/on baller. Obviously wouldn’t be that at AFL level but could definitely play across the HF line.

“Players who are eligible for the mid-season draft can nominate for either a six-month short-term contract or an 18-month contract that ends at the close of the following season.

A short-term contract ending in October this year is worth $50,000 to a player (and an extra $20,000 if they are delisted and don't find another AFL spot elsewhere) under the AFL's rules.
Under the nomination form sent out by the AFL, other terms can be nominated by the player but only within the scope of the League's rules, meaning a player such as Edwards who has never been on a list will still be considered a first-year player if selected mid-season so cannot ask for terms above the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

A first-round contract for Edwards at the end of the season would lock him in at his club until the end of 2023 – longer than the 18-month deal in the mid-season terms – and at a better financial rate. But being selected mid-season would remove the risk of an injury in the second half of the season damaging his draft plans. - Callum Twomey

thanks for taking the trouble to find that information- it’s more complex than I thought.

thanks for taking the trouble to find that information- it’s more complex than I thought.

Yeah it is. I reckon it’s more for smokies than players who are certainties to be drafted in the ND.

Personally I wouldn’t be nominating if I was Edwards.

Yeah it is. I reckon it’s more for smokies than players who are certainties to be drafted in the ND.

Personally I wouldn’t be nominating if I was Edwards.
I would. When you factor in that he'll get paid for an extra 6 months, how much less would he earn? Is the difference for 2022 between a national draftee and a rookie draftee really more than the $50,000 he'll miss out on if he forgoes the mid-season draft? Then factor in that he could be paid more in 2023 when he re-signs. Factor in he could lock in 18 months, when a knee injury in the second half of the year may stop him getting any months. Factor in that he's more likely to get to stay in Melbourne.

I can't see why he wouldn't nominate.

Last edited:
6 month rookie contract vs 2 year senior list contract. A lot more security in the ND

Remove this Banner Ad

Back