Analysis 2023 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s no way we’re getting a decent KP prospect picking 18th in an MSrD.
I wouldn't say no way. If they had it back then, you would have been able to take Mihocek about 5 years in a row.

But it's not a free hit. We're not going to draft someone for 4 months with an eye to cutting him at the end of the year. It costs us a list spot next year and thus an end of year recruiting or retention opportunity.

List spots are going to be tight Even if we have a MSD pick, I doubt someone will be there that they rate high enough to forego other recruiting or retention options at the end of the year.

Howe will return with a pigeon chest and spaghetti arms. Put him in mothballs. Start him an extended pre-season and tonnes of chicken breasts and tuna steaks. Get the best available key forward, defender or ruck in Australia … preferably ruck.
He broke his arm, he hasn’t been bedridden in a coma for the last 7 weeks…

It's not hawkish. It's prioritising a list spot for a player you feel can step in, over one that can't. And imo won't ever in the role.

I say this reluctantly because I expect a bunch of derision for it and I've discussed it previously a bunch, however, Crossley is the one I'd have looked at. He is AFL quality and can play forward at a pinch. I know there's this group think that collectively he's a *-up and/or isn't interested in an AFL career, but as far as I can tell that is pure speculation dressed up as fact.
Fair enough do you think those other clubs have erred? You won’t get derision from me because he’s one I’ve speculated on previously, but I think we’re splitting hairs if having Crossley on the list is the difference between being left short and not. He’s undersized, inexperienced, has never shown he can ruck at the top level to a competent standard and has effectively been out of the system for 4 years. I’d personally be just as confident in Steene or Begg.

Last edited:
He broke his arm, he hasn’t been bedridden in a coma for the last 7 weeks…
Further to this I often wonder how many on here have actually met AFL footballers? Very few of them carry bulk during the season because they can’t hit the gym to maintain the mass they put on over summer. Howe would be on a maintenance program to ensure he’s ready to go in all areas once he’s cleared to play.

Fair enough do you think those other clubs have erred? You won’t get derision from me because he’s one I’ve speculated on previously, but I think we’re splitting hairs if having Crossley on the list is the difference between being left
Without any boundary line at half time?
1683181289742.jpeg

Fair enough do you think those other clubs have erred? You won’t get derision from me because he’s one I’ve speculated on previously, but I think we’re splitting hairs if having Crossley on the list is the difference between being left short and not. He’s undersized, inexperienced, has never shown he can ruck at the top level to a competent standard and has effectively been out of the system for 4 years. I’d personally be just as confident in Steene or Begg.

Crossley based on his AFL record that's fair, however, his VFL form as a ruck was league best. I'd be confident he'd do better than Begg/Steene at ruck. He also offers a tall forward option if needed. I saw him as better depth and fitting into an age/development gap between established and totally green.

If Krueger’s injury is season ending what type of player do you target in MSD?

A ruck like Naismith ?
Mid like Mundy ?
Key defender like Ethan Phillips or Oscar McDonald ?
A wild card like Nev Jetta?

A ruck like Naismith ?
Mid like Mundy ?
Mundy or Nev interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A ruck like Naismith ?
Mid like Mundy ?
I think ruck we are ok with cox , Cameron and frampton. You’d hope there no chance we have the bad luck we’ve had there.

I’d go for a KPD. We are lacking there.

We don’t use the MSD as a stop gap measure.
We select players who we feel can enhance to our program and stay on the list beyond the short term stop gap model that some other clubs use it for.
So if we are to take part this year, it will be because we feel there’s a player of interest there for us.

We don’t use the MSD as a stop gap measure.
We select players who we feel can enhance to our program and stay on the list beyond the short term stop gap model that some other clubs use it for.
So if we are to take part this year, it will be because we feel there’s a player of interest there for us.
Absolutely
But with a flag possibility strong it must be tempting to change tack this year as a one off

We will be in absolutely no hurry to secure a spot in this year’s mid season draft and posters should be mindful of that when rushing into calling for us to write Howe or Kreugs off for the year just for the sake of a pick.

If we do get an actual season ender, then sure, but as it stands we are likely to have a pick in the 16 to 18 ballpark in this draft and the chances of us securing a player anywhere remotely near good enough to add depth to our needed areas (key position) is astronomically low with that pick.

We will be in absolutely no hurry to secure a spot in this year’s mid season draft and posters should be mindful of that when rushing into calling for us to write Howe or Kreugs off for the year just for the sake of a pick.

If we do get an actual season ender, then sure, but as it stands we are likely to have a pick in the 16 to 18 ballpark in this draft and the chances of us securing a player anywhere remotely near good enough to add depth to our needed areas (key position) is astronomically low with that pick.

Pick be better the Kreuger at Moment as can't play a Full Game without getting Injured

I'm not a huge fan of Hine but he picks rippers in the mid season draft

You forgetting all of Noble, Johnson and Carmichael have come from the MSD?

When we have such poor KPP depth due to injury and kids like Begg and Steene still developing…

I for one don’t want Frampton or Johnson to be 3rd ruck option coming into a finals game.

An in form Sam Naismith is the perfect pick up for us

I'm not a huge fan of Hine but he picks rippers in the mid season draft
You forgetting all of Noble, Johnson and Carmichael have come from the MSD?

When we have such poor KPP depth due to injury and kids like Begg and Steene still developing…

I for one don’t want Frampton or Johnson to be 3rd ruck option coming into a finals game.

An in form Sam Naismith is the perfect pick up for us
Johnson and Carmichael were much higher picks in the mid season draft (#3 and #9) . If we were likely to have a pick in that range then absolutely, that's where the value of the MSD is, and it would be a different story. It was also a massive surprise to many that Carmichael made it to pick nine.

Noble at 14 was an outlier as most clubs pass on picks around that range, let alone beyond but frankly the chances of finding a key position size player any good at at that pick or later, like this year? Just not going to happen. See Callow, who was a bust despite everyone on here carrying on about him.

If we get a season ender (I bloodeh hope not!) then sure, we will explore options with our pick but talk of standing injury strapped players down for the year to take a random pot shot with that low of a pick in a MSD is not how list management works, mind we'll have to delist an extra player for this raffle pick at the end of the year in order to free up Draft/FA spots.

A ruck like Naismith ?
Mid like Mundy ?

I can see us looking at one of two player types if they're are any likely options available. A tall defender who can intercept or an outside runner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back