MRP / Trib. 2021 MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

I am a little surprised at the penalty. On the one hand it is significant in that if GWS managed to win next 3 games, Toby would miss out on a Premiership. On the other had, 4 weeks would have certainly carried over into next year and been a reminder to all players.
they are still talking about player's missing grand finals through suspension 50 years after the facts and rightly so - the most infamous being neville crowe from richmond who was unfortunate enough to have big nick faint on him in the second semi final of 1967............tiges went on to win the flag beating geelong by 9 points but without crowe who got 4 weeks - to his credit, big nick did his best to get him off

Nicholls said in evidence: “I don’t remember the incident very clearly at all. From what I remember I think there was a scramble and a free kick or mark was given. I remember him (Crowe) on the ground and I grabbed his arms. I’m not too sure what happened after that. My memory is not too clear. I remember clearly I was *ing Crowe to stop him handballing.”

hilarious the offensive term filter removes (drater backwards) and leaves nick sounding like he had fully mounted crowe..........

Last edited:
I am a little surprised at the penalty. On the one hand it is significant in that if GWS managed to win next 3 games, Toby would miss out on a Premiership. On the other had, 4 weeks would have certainly carried over into next year and been a reminder to all players.

Three will carry over into next season anyway - can't see them getting through Geelong and Melbourne back to back without Greene.

Agree. However, as someone else has suggested in another thread, it makes it hard for GWS to appeal and argue penalty was excessive.
Agree with all above and note that it all but kills off GWS in 2021.

Great player, really stupid act. I don't think it was particularly aggressive or forceful but it was absolutely intentional and disrespectful. Had to go and was and I expecting at least 4. Greene had no place walking towards an umpire and making avoidable contact. For once I say to the AFL, stand your ground and make sure a message is sent to ALL who play and watch the game.

poor gws supporters just now starting to understand how things work................
They've only just realised there's no such thing as a try in AFL, so yep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hope the AFL look at this in the off season and let clubs know that any deliberate touching of an umpre, aggressive or not, will receive at the very least a minumum of a week suspension. $1200 fines are a joke.
Time for players to think about 'social distancing' from umpires...

Greene suspended for 3 weeks/matches.

Happy with that, actually seems about right.
This issue for me fundamentally is not so much about Toby and his own lack of self-control/anger management issues (which is something the Giants obviously still need to keep working with hiknon) but creating a safe working environment for all umpires.

Toby could have chosen to avoid contact, and whilst I believe the contact was accidental, he had too much blood rushing to his head, and let his temper over rule his common sense.

Think he has matured quite a lot in the last few years, but still needs work on trying to calm him farm on field, so to speak.

From what I read, his father was an alcoholic, abusive monster, now I am not condoning anything Toby has done wrong, esp off field, but I believe it can go some way in explaining why Toby is prone to moments of madness/anger, and I why I don't think this media witchunt against Toby every time he is reported/pinged for an on field incident is very helpful or productive.

Hopefully Toby can learn from this over summer and does learn from it, cause I I think most of us enjoy watching him play when he is in top form, very talented player.

This might have already been covered but * what an awful decision. People carrying on about kids copying Toby Greene is a load of shite. You've got *in thugs like the Richmond forwards that throw punches and illegal shoulder blocks and nothing happens, why kids could just as easily copy them. I know my points aint that strong or convincing but it was hardly aggressive. This rant is more ******* aggressive tbh. I feel sorry for him and for the game. He just has that arrogant walk and strut but nothing aggressive in my opinion. Matt didn't feel threatened and could have easily moved out of the way as well?

This might have already been covered but fu** what an awful decision. People carrying on about kids copying Toby Greene is a load of sh*te. You've got fu**in thugs like the Richmond forwards that throw punches and illegal shoulder blocks and nothing happens, why kids could just as easily copy them. I know my points aint that strong or convincing but it was hardly aggressive. This rant is more ******* aggressive tbh. I feel sorry for him and for the game. He just has that arrogant walk and strut but nothing aggressive in my opinion. Matt didn't feel threatened and could have easily moved out of the way as well?

Respectfully disagree. Just because other things are let go, doesn’t mean this should. He shouldered an umpire - not okay in any sport. Aggressive action, and Toby made no effort to avoid contact.

they are still talking about player's missing grand finals through suspension 50 years after the facts and rightly so - the most infamous being neville crowe from richmond who was unfortunate enough to have big nick faint on him in the second semi final of 1967............tiges went on to win the flag beating geelong by 9 points but without crowe who got 4 weeks - to his credit, big nick did his best to get him off

Nicholls said in evidence: “I don’t remember the incident very clearly at all. From what I remember I think there was a scramble and a free kick or mark was given. I remember him (Crowe) on the ground and I grabbed his arms. I’m not too sure what happened after that. My memory is not too clear. I remember clearly I was ******ing Crowe to stop him handballing.”

hilarious the offensive term filter removes (drater backwards) and leaves nick sounding like he had fully mounted crowe..........

The filter’s action and the ensuing explanation made my day. I was only able to interpolate those asterisks one way and was left scratching my head. Thanks Thy!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He's a very lucky boy to only get 3. I reckon the Tribunal had the baggage of completely botching the Lachie Neale incident earlier in the season...he clearly needed at least a week for that. Would have made this far easier to prosecute and apply at least a 5 week sanction.

Bottom line...NEVER deliberately touch an umpire under any circumstances.

Yeah but didn't you read? It's only the Carlton juniors they're worried about, hence the suspensions on Williams, Stocker, et al. for the same behaviours.

It doesn't matter if you play for another club - it's Carlton that has to made an example of.

FMD :rolleyes:

No room left in Christians back pocket for any of our money

Remove this Banner Ad

Back