List Mgmt. 2021 NAB National AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We know why they give the 5 mins. Especially once they introduced live trading. But 5 mins def feels too long.

So make it two minutes, then clubs can ask for a 3 minute extension if there's a trade going. Last year teams milked the clock just for lols.

Keep it to one night.

I was under the impression that this was only possible after the draft.
No, if a player was delisted the previous year they’re automatically eligible as a FA the next trade/FA period which is before the ND

No, if a player was delisted the previous year they’re automatically eligible as a FA the next trade/FA period which is before the ND

Yeah that’s right. They are just able to be signed up as a delisted agent during that free agency period prior to the draft.

Just a worthwhile chance to get talent like his on our list given we will only have backend picks in the draft.

Yeah that’s right. They are just able to be signed up as a delisted agent during that free agency period prior to the draft.

Just a worthwhile chance to get talent like his on our list given we will only have backend picks in the draft.
Problem will be the need to have picks available for draft points.

I expect a couple of guys like Murphy and Thomas will be delisted and rookie.

I heard we are still going to take Stengle as a delisted free agent provided he doesn't fu** up for thr remainder of the year

I’m definitely up for that.

Watched a few of his games since the PSD and he is definitely what we lack. His crumbing is way beyond anything else on our list.

To be honest it would be very smart to sign both those guys up like that.

Problem will be the need to have picks available for draft points.

I expect a couple of guys like Murphy and Thomas will be delisted and rookie.

I expect us to be fairly ruthless with our list.

I understand the club probably doesn’t want to completely strip the list of its experience all together. But I reckon anyone with only a 1-2 years left other than Pendles should be moved on. Let’s face it we are in full rebuild mode.

It will be up to guys like Adams, Moore, Maynard, Crisp and even Josh Daicos/Quaynor to step up and help guide the young guys.

There should be plenty of mechanisations by which we can either bundle up picks to reduce the number of picks (and corresponding list spots) to match bids on Dib and Daicos.

I heard we are still going to take Stengle as a delisted free agent provided he doesn't fu** up for thr remainder of the year

We need to keep transforming our forward line.
Henry, McCreery, Elliott, Ginnivan and Stengle would give us good medium and small options. Hopefully Johnson can be a player in time too next season

We also need to start getting games into Kelly (injury permitting) and McMahon.
Look at every other young key forwards in the game—they take a lot of time and games to mature....it’s imperative that we begin this ASAP

Last edited:
[QUOTE

A lot of the players they picked up during the 2020 draft were mid-sized forwards that have the capability to pinch-hit in the midfield.

Huh?!

Henry is a lot?
(At least the writer knows that a lot is 2 words so small mercies I guess)

Reef / Macrae / Poulter/ McMahon mid sized forwards that are pinch hitting as mids???
[/QUOTE]
In fairness to the journo, Macrae and Reef were exactly that in u18s, as they missed their final year when they probably would have played mid.

Huh?!

Henry is a lot?
(At least the writer knows that a lot is 2 words so small mercies I guess)

Reef / Macrae / Poulter/ McMahon mid sized forwards that are pinch hitting as mids???
In fairness to the journo, Macrae and Reef were exactly that in u18s, as they missed their final year when they probably would have played mid.
[/QUOTE]
Hmm fair enough but still think it’s a pretty lazy comment when Reef was developed all over the field, Poulter always bw the arcs, and Macrae simply forced out of the middle bc of the stars that were there the year before - and the journo would have realised that Macrae was destined for the centre (and McMahon a tall)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can just see the look of disappointment on the kid's face on draft night when North call out his name.
He'll give the Crows a wink on his way to the stage to collect his guernsey. "I'll be back home in a couple of years"

We just threw away our chance of getting Horne last night for a game that meant nothing which is pretty frustrating and stupid in my opinion.
I hope you guys beat hawthorn and avoid the spoon otherwise I reckon you might be haunted for a long time.

We just threw away our chance of getting Horne last night for a game that meant nothing which is pretty frustrating and stupid in my opinion.
I hope you guys beat hawthorn and avoid the spoon otherwise I reckon you might be haunted for a long time.
That’s true. If we finish last we would have wasted a massive opportunity. Got to admit I was wrong. Others here from the start thought we were crazy trading our 1st for 2x2nd round picks in 2020

Also, I’m not convinced Horne is necessarily the best. The past has shown the best midfielders playing in Victoria have been better than the best playing seniors in WAFL etc. Is Horne better than guys like Sonsie?

Adelaide and Freo have slipped a little recently which helps our cause, but Doggies being on top and looking like they'll stay there balances that out.

This currently leaves us with picks 36 (502), 39 (446), 40 (429) and 44 (362), which equates to 1,739 points or enough to effectively match a bid on Daicos at pick 3 (2,234) with the 20% F/S discount (1,787 points required) with minimal to no impact on our 2022 first round pick if we miss finals again next year.

If we have additional later round draft picks (ie. as insurance against a top 3 bid and/or to help grab Dib as well) then the deficit from the bid match at pick 3 would push the first of those back 1-2 spots.

Looking ahead the remaining schedules for Freo, Adelaide and the Bulldogs respectively probably point to them staying somewhere around where they are now on the ladder, so we're probably looking at ending up with something close to what we are projected to have now in terms of picks heading into the FA / trade period, maybe with a couple of those picks shuffling up or down a spot depending on results over the final month of the season.

Edit: These figures are based on the premise that the Suns will lose that supplemental 2nd round pick this year which appears to be the most likely outcome.

Last edited:
A question for the draft watchers out there. On exposed form, where would our recruits from the 2020 draft have been picked up in this year's draft if they were in it? Or put simply, what is their value if we traded them for picks now?
PMBangers eDPS thoughts?

A question for the draft watchers out there. On exposed form, where would our recruits from the 2020 draft have been picked up in this year's draft if they were in it? Or put simply, what is their value if we traded them for picks now?
Around the same range I'd speculate, no one's really done anything unexpected enough to jump up or slide down. Ginnivan had interest from a few clubs in the ND so he may get taken there if redone.
On a side note, excellent to see Ollie Henry putting in some good performances, my mother supports Collingwood and was given him some stick earlier this year =(

Around the same range I'd speculate, no one's really done anything unexpected enough to jump up or slide down. Ginnivan had interest from a few clubs in the ND so he may get taken there if redone.
On a side note, excellent to see Ollie Henry putting in some good performances, my mother supports Collingwood and was given him some stick earlier this year =(
Tough crowd haha. He clearly wasn't ready, so we can give him some leeway. But seems to be finding his feet now.

Tough crowd haha. He clearly wasn't ready, so we can give him some leeway. But seems to be finding his feet now.
I love my mother, but if you're not immediately a star you're a failed draft pick in her eyes, possibly why my career never took off =P

I love my mother, but if you're not immediately a star you're a failed draft pick in her eyes, possibly why my career never took off =P
Haha damn. I can only imagine how many players she wrote off. The failed careers in Shaz and Freeman. She has high expectations it seems. lol

Haha damn. I can only imagine how many players she wrote off. The failed careers in Shaz and Freeman. She has high expectations it seems. lol
Been down that road too Jen both my parents were state level athletes and knew when I was 'doing the hard yards' or not lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back