Training 2021 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Worth remembering that going into 2010 the narrative was that Collingwood "didn't have any stars". Fast forward to the end of the season they've won the flag and have 4 or 5 of them.

Things can change quickly.

We finished fifth last year, despite losing multiple games that we were in to the death (two of which we threw away, after leading by five goals) and were generally very competitive with Richmond in that final- despite being crunched by injuries/suspension going into that game, while they were almost full strength- and we did all that despite Hill, Ross, Membrey and Billings generally all playing well below their best for the season, Hanners hardly playing and Gresh missing half the season.

So think of how much better we could be if they all returned to their best (or near enough to it), or played more, and then with the additions of Crouch, Higgins and maybe Frawley/Highmore, plus the continued natural development from the young ones?

If the Bulldogs could steal a flag in 2016 I don't see why we couldn't this year, if everything went right.

We have so much scope for improvement, don't look to have an obvious weakness area on the field and have probably the best, most ready-to-play depth in the comp.

Not saying I think it will happen, but I certainly wouldn't be completely shocked if it did. Our depth additions suggest we're having a full on crack at it.

Last edited:
To say we are not even in the conversation for top 4 is harsh. We finished 5th last year and we have improved our list.

Also think they're ignoring Clark who showed signs of being a gun midfielder last year. Not to mention Crouch.

Having said that I think it's good that we're still going under the radar.

Yep, like this post. We have a good spread of talent , not all of whom can be manned up during a game.
Our perceived lack of stars seems to ignore the potential stardom of several of our young guys that have serious ability and are only a season or two away from being elite.

The player I would like to steal from Gold Coast has red hair and only played about 4 games. Future best player in the comp in my opinion.

His best mate isn't too bad either. Might not be quite as good, but will be a star regardless. I'd be happy with one or the other.

Surprised to see Frawley in after he didn't seem to have trained for a couple of weeks. No Carlisle. Very interesting.

Glad to see Webster named.
Would be good to know if Carlisle not in the squad is a management thing or if he is that far on the outer - and it's likely the 2nd since he was put in the 'seconds' team last week even with no Frawley or Howard participating.

Would be good to know if Carlisle not in the squad is a management thing or if he is that far on the outer - and it's likely the 2nd since he was put in the 'seconds' team last week even with no Frawley or Howard participating.
Yeah fair chance it's the latter I'd say. There's enough indications over the past six months or so to infer that Carlisle is not a player Ratten particularly wants in his best 22. The non selections last year, the happiness for him to explore his options, the recruitment of Frawley, Ratten's comments in the podcast a few days ago, Carlisle playing in the yellows last week and now this non selection. I said at the time of us recruiting Frawley that I wouldn't be surprised to see him overtake Carlisle and I'd now be very surprised if Carlisle did play ahead of Frawley in round one.

Last edited:
Yeah fair chance it's the latter I'd say. There's enough indications over the past six months or so to infer that Carlisle is not a player Ratten particularly wants in his best 22. The non selections last year, the happiness for him to explore his options, the recruitment of Frawley, Ratten's comments in the podcast a few days ago, Carlisle playing in the yellows last week and now this non selection. I said at the time of us recruiting Frawley that I wouldn't be surprised to see him overtake Carlisle and I'd now be very surprised now if Carlisle did play ahead of Frawley in round one.
There is obviously something going on behind the scenes because Carlisle being dropped made no sense at the time based off his performances, and his non-selection at vital times was even worse - namely the West Coast game where it was painfully obvious not selecting him from the second the teams were released was a huge mistake. Some more transparency on this would be great but its never going to happen.

I do find it interesting that Frawley is instantly ahead of Carlisle based off how both of them played last year so hopefully Frawley has had a huge off season to warrant this choice.

There is obviously something going on behind the scenes because Carlisle being dropped made no sense at the time based off his performances, and his non-selection at vital times was even worse - namely the West Coast game where it was painfully obvious not selecting him from the second the teams were released was a huge mistake. Some more transparency on this would be great but its never going to happen.

I do find it interesting that Frawley is instantly ahead of Carlisle based off how both of them played last year so hopefully Frawley has had a huge off season to warrant this choice.
Agreed. That West Coast game was infuriating. Darling kicking goals on Coffield while Carlisle sat in the stands and Battle couldn't get a touch on the wing. Was definitley the most bizarre coaching moment we've seen from Ratts.

With Jones, Gresh and Hanners out it's a great opportunity for the likes of Clark, Bytel and Higgo to get some good midfield minutes in.

Apparently Cunnington won't be playing, on top of Higgins having departed, so their midfield will presumably be very young/inexperienced.

Dom Tyson (if he plays) might be about the only experienced guy in there.

How can any real supporter forget our Premierships of 96/04/08?
If it was only about the midfields Geelong should have won the last 4 grannies. Midfields deep enough, forward structure potentially the best in the league - tighten up the defence and then watch out!!!!

Yeah, the club is now very hawthorn centric in regards to personnel. It's working well but I hope it's not clouding judgements on what is best for a winning team when the season starts.
I will reserve judgements for now though...it's not the real deal yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Find it particularly interesting given Carlisle seems to have been injury free for once this preseason where as Frawley has nursed a hammy at times.
Would have thought that Carlisle would have played this game and Frawley the next.

Suspect you are right that he is very far on the outer. Which is a shame as I thought he had a pretty good season last year and we certainly looked a far better team with him in it.

The way it played out, I’d say he waited as long as possible to see if any clubs were interested and when the offers didn’t come, he settled for the one year with us.

So that proves that it's not just ratts that has question marks over him.

The whole league in fact share those concerns.
The market has spoken- carlisle is a fringe AFL footballer.
No wonder frawley has seemingly been able to easily move past him?

I see Butler being the player huge with kids. Between the way he plays and his hair, he really has that quality which helps him stand out.

It will help when they can see him live and at clinics and stuff.

FB: Webster - Frawley - Wilkie
HB: Coffield - Howard - Clark
C: Hill - Ross - Sinclair
HF: Billings - Battle - Butler
FF: Higgins - King - Membrey
Foll: Ryder - Crouch - Steele

IC: Dunstan Lonie Long Bytel Wood Highmore McKenzie Hunter

Jones came sixth in our b&f last year and is still on track to play round one. His hamstring issues are concerning, but he shouldn't be lumped together with Hannebery. Jones would be on a reasonable deal that doesn't threaten our salary cap at all and has already played some really solid footy with us.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back