Training 2021 - Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those more agile medium defenders seem to play Jack better than the bigger, taller defenders.
Alan Toovey was his kryptonite. Avoid the wrestle and the body. Leap late and high and spoil. Which suggests...
Wouldn't Shepp chop JD? I reckon he'd be a good match up. Depends on the quality of ball coming in
... Shep would also be a very effective foil.

Let's be honest, Darling still occasionally comes across as custard soft.

Just like he occasionally does some ridiculously dumb things, which include brain fades and dropping of elementary marks.

I dont think any of that will ever just disappear from his game. He's 29 this year and it's yet to happen after a decade.

You'd still take his 45+ goals a season every day of the week and twice on 2.40pm slot Sunday.

Just like he occasionally does some ridiculously dumb things, which include brain fades and dropping of elementary marks.

I dont think any of that will ever just disappear from his game. He's 29 this year and it's yet to happen after a decade.

You'd still take his 45+ goals a season every day of the week and twice on 2.40pm slot Sunday.
I'm still pissed he missed a simple goal that would have put us into the top 4, against the dogs.

What are the odds Yeo's 'I hope to play round 1' keeps getting predictably delayed and becomes 'I hope to play after the bye'?

With the front half of the season looking far tougher than the rest of the fixture, any ongoing delays with Yeo's recovery could potentially eliminate hopes of a top 4 finish well before the bye even comes along.

Yes yes yes darling crap etc etc hate to think what this darling frenzy would turn into if barrass actual managed to spoil it.

Now, can witherden defend yet and has it been nailed down how tall he is?

With the front half of the season looking far tougher than the rest of the fixture, any ongoing delays with Yeo's recovery could potentially eliminate hopes of a top 4 finish well before the bye even comes along.

I’ve been pretty consistent with the Yeo’s our best player beat, but this is especially problematic because not only are we losing our best player, but we’re losing time to get our midfield to function properly together.

Even when we were relatively fit early last year, our mids couldn’t click. A midfield of Yeo, Kelly, Shuey, Redden, Sheed and Nic Nat doesn’t want for anything and should be world beating. But it requires defined roles and cohesion. If we don’t get that sorted we aren’t going forward.

Ainsworth to step up and fill the void.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People need to look at missed games as a positive not just a negative. Sure we need to finish top 2 top 4 but we all know that if a player plays 22 games chances are they are cooked by finals. In 2018 we rode some luck that key players missed several games, some 6 games, and they got back and were reasonably fresh come September.

Thats why squads win flags not just your best 22.

His restart to last season really annoyed me, he's in his prime and a leader and was soft as butter.

If Yeo isn't getting up I'd legit give Trew or Edwards a crack at senior footy rather than have to play Ainsworth again.
Agreed. Ainsworth was so bad last year he would probably have served us better if we put an oppo jumper on him.

We know what we are getting with Ainsworth and its not great. If we have to carry an inexperienced mid then lets cycle some of the kids through and see what we find.

EDIT: Next time it’s a day off. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
If Yeo isn't getting up I'd legit give Trew or Edwards a crack at senior footy rather than have to play Ainsworth again.

Agreed. Ainsworth was so bad last year he would probably have served us better if we put an oppo jumper on him.

We know what we are getting with Ainsworth and its not great. If we have to carry an inexperienced mid then lets cycle some of the kids through and see what we find.

My concern with Ainsworth is that the club have effectively trained him out of a position.

He can run all day now, but has trimmed down so much that he gets manhandled like a twig around contests, eliminating any kind of impact he can have as an inside midfielder.

He is too thin to even operate as a midfield tagger.

At the same time his disposal is not of a high enough standard to play as a wing or running half back.

Unless he adds a substantial amount of bulk or improves his disposal markedly, I don't see much of a future for him at the club.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless he adds a substantial amount of bulk or improves his disposal markedly, I don't see much of a future for him at the club.
Grooming him for a long and successful career at the Beagles?

Its a knock on his game for sure. If he played with, say, Duggan's ferocity he would be a HOF at the end of his career.

If he gets to 300 games and 500+ goals he'll be in the HOF anyway. At the rate he's going if he gets to 300 games (with his durability it's quite likely) he'll end up around 600 or so goals.

When you consider guys like derm kicked 460 odd, brown 590 odd (with multiple years playing as FF and only real forward target), Tredrea 549 goals, Pavlich 700 goals (353 games so less than 2 goals a game), Nick Riewoldt 718 goals (336 games) every single one of those players should and will make the HOF and the only one who really played second fiddle goals wise his entire career was Derm. A few years with Jack as the primary F50 target to come and he could well get to 600 odd goals.

The only other player to really be in a similar situation of being stuck behind one of their era's great primary forward targets is Scotty Lucas and just so people know he finished up at 271 games and 471 goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back