List Mgmt. 2021 Trade Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

Rowey opened the show saying that Dawson has picked the Crows on AA.

What's left in the market to add some midfield talent to our mix?
Day after Ollie wins the Brownlow he opens the show with this? Not sure why I stopped listening to him.

Playing for the team your family supports and your favorite player as a kid being a board member are both pretty piss weak reasons for joining a footy club

I would have thought other actual football reasons might have a bigger bearing on a pretty big decision like that

Let's hope he can see the forest from the trees

Not if he’s perfectly happy with the presentation and offer from both clubs. Seems like a very reasonable tie breaker to me.

No ******* way. Mitchell is 28 and we would struggle to get more than 5 years out of him, and you are giving away Ladhams who turns 24 in January who potentially is 4-5 years away from his peak and a decent pick 16 delivers 10-12 years of service. If Mitchell accumulated more meaningful possessions I'd give it some consideration.

Saw it on Twitter today;

And yeah that was my reaction when I first read it too.

Dont believe its true but I have to admit I find the idea of Titch somewhat compelling. He’s a genuine premo midfielder it’s hard to argue that he wouldnt improve our midfield for the 3-4 years we would get out of him.

I probably dont rate Ladhams quite as highly as some here, for me is value is inflated by scarcity rather than potential to be a genuine A grader. Pick 16 is also still speculative and never guaranteed to give you 10-12 years of service.

I think its a matter of whether we see ourselves contending again next year. If we do then a risky trade like that could be exactly what takes us to the next level while also allowing the chance to blood Hayes.

Id want to be getting something coming back our way in that scenario though.

Last edited:
CD - "We believe our players represent the club well publicly and that makes it attractive to players from other teams"

Nek minut Dawson signs with crom after a BBQ at Roooopert's house with The Big (Racist) Texan.

The last time Hayes and Ladhams played together at Adelaide Oval, The first SANFL showdown this season.

Hayes 40 hitouts in the ruck, Ladhams 15 hitouts and 3 goals as the fwd/ruck. How can we not develop this into a good ruck tandem at AFL level?
I don't think its an issue with Port making it work, but whether Ladhams is happy in that role. I mean, at the moment Port's future seems to be pretty clearly Lycett first ruck, Ladhams as a Forward/2nd Ruck.

We'll then move to Hayes as first ruck, Ladhams continuing as forward/2nd ruck. I guess its just that Pete's position is a bit tenuous because of the amount of ruck work up forward that Charlie does.

The big problem with trading out Ladhams is that a Lycett/Hayes tandem doesn't really feel like something that would work.

So if we let Lil Pisty go then who are we targeting to replace him? Because going into a season trying to win a flag with your ruck depth chart reading Lycett --> Hayes --> nobody is not pretty reading.
Back to 2016, 2017 thinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ladhams has his down days but he really came of age in the last 4-6 weeks of the season. Very valuable. I’d want a lot for him
It’s the fact that he provides a point of difference to genuine first ruck and still has a lot of development in him.

Feel he is not that popular to our head coach who wants him out for his own reasons. This one could hurt for years to come if we don’t get equal value Coming back.

It was already pretty surprising when St Kilda decided to part ways with Luke Dunstan; now it’s just baffling.

The midfielder had an excellent end to the season, breaking back into the Saints’ side at Round 11 and holding his spot from there, averaging 26 disposals.

For whatever reason Brett Ratten doesn’t see a long-term spot for him at the club, and Dunstan will now look for a new team - and he’s got a pretty good argument to be signed as a free agent.

After all, Dunstan finished second in the Saints’ Brownlow count, polling 11 votes including two best-on-grounds.
I believe he would add to our rotation but not to our best 22 on the ground.

I mean moving Ladhams opens the door for Finlayson in the forward line does it not?
It does not.
Cause Ladhams could play with 3 kfs was because he’s a 2nd ruck and cause of his mobility and ground level play.

finlayson has zero ground level game. He might just be one of the worst ground level kfs in the comp.

There’s no way no how you can play him with 3 kfs.

I'm not Pistols biggest fan but we shouldn't be trading rucks
it would make zero sense to trade a contracted player out for a draft pick.

we end up short on rucks, a useful forward and would then have to waste picks trying to replace him, which likely would fail.

The only way I would deal Ladhams is if it gets us a high level young player in return. Otherwise it would need to be a future draft pick that’s too tempting to say no to and I doubt we get that.

They see Hayes as a first ruck but as much as like him he's unproven, plus if you see him in that light he's not getting picked in Pete's role. The problem I see is that Lycett needs a good chop out & Pete despite his flaws also gives our forward line a different dynamic.

You move on Pete they are probably abandoning the two ruck philosophy & workhorsing Lycett all next year (unless Hayes displaces him on form) with Chuck, Aliir & Marshall as part time chop outs. It's not that appealing.

Taheny age 20 worth looking at in a year where there appears little value after pick 30:

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “Cameron Taheny is a crafty medium forward, with superb marking skills and many traits to impact straight into the AFL level.”

THE 2019 season saw Eyre Peninsula-born Cameron Taheny impact at every level he played in. Taheny competed in First XVII with Rostrevor College, a SANFL Reserves premiership and League debut with Norwood, and also the Under-18 National Championships with South Australia. He made his SANFL league debut in Round 2 against Port Adelaide, and stunned with a fantastic performance kicking three goals. Taheny continued to kick goals with regularity – booting 15 goals in four games – and exhibited his brilliant goal sense and ability to take strong contested marks at senior level, he finished with 25 goals for the season across both grades. Taheny can make an impact immediately in his first season at the senior AFL level and is able to play a role as a pressure forward early in his career with the aim to move into a midfield-forward split role in the future.
STRENGTHS:
Marking
Elite speed
Scoreboard impact
Decision making
Leadership skills
X-factor
IMPROVEMENTS:
Consistency
Versatility

I probably dont rate Ladhams quite as highly as some here, for me is value is inflated by scarcity rather than potential to be a genuine A grader. Pick 16 is also still speculative and never guaranteed to give you 10-12 years of service.
All picks are fundamentally speculative.

Port's picks at 16
2002 Gilham last AFL game 2014
2007 Lobbe last AFL game 2019
2009 Pittard last AFL game 2020
2010 Jacobs last AFL game 2020
2016 Marshall

They might not be great footballers, but most had solid careers, 100 game type careers.

So why are we going down to 2 ruckmen?

Who says we are.

We should replace him with another 2nd ruck/forward (say Finlayson) or play Charlie in the 2nd ruck role and focus on Georgiades and Marshall as our 2 forwards. Plus another 18 yo on the rookie list.

He wants to be a #1 ruck and we need to develop Hayes there every chance we get.

On draft picks alone what would Ladhams' value be roughly worth?
Really hard to say.

he’s way more proven and has higher upside than those fringe rucks that get moved for picks 30-50,

but teams don’t often part with top draft picks for rucks.

his current peers (first 22 rucks under 24) are Jackson, English, Darcy, Draper, Marshall dekoning and Flynn. The better of those guys you wouldn’t pry out of their clubs in a million years and if you did would cost a top 10 pick + easily.

So somewhere in the wide range of 10-25? Maybe?

but realistically why would you move a first 22 contracted tall for low value?

Who says we are.

We should replace him with another 2nd ruck/forward (say Finlayson) plus another 18 yo on the rookie list.

He wants to be a #1 ruck and we need to develop Hayes there every chance we get.
Finlayson at 195cm isn't a 2nd ruck. Get another 18 year old kid and you watch him spend 4 or 5 years in the SANFL. That only makes sense if you have one around 30 and one around 26, one progressing in that 22-25 range, and then you can have one developing in the 18-21 range.

You don't want Lycett and Hayes and they both get injured or are struggling with injuries and you are dependent on an 18 year picked in the 70's or the rookie draft. Ken wont play him and they will then do another Trengove and Howard bits and pieces stuff, like we saw in 2016 and 2017.

Finlayson at 195cm isn't a 2nd ruck. Get another 18 year old kid and you watch him spend 4 or 5 years in the SANFL. That only makes sense if you have one around 30 and one around 26, one progressing in that 22-25 range, and then you can have one developing in the 18-21 range.

You don't want Lycett and Hayes and they both get injured or are struggling with injuries and you are dependent on an 18 year picked in the 70's or the rookie draft. Ken wont play him and they will then do another Trengove and Howard bits and pieces stuff, like we saw in 2016 and 2017.
Id risk both rucks getting injured if it nails us a quality mid. Worst comes to worst we play Charlie in the ruck and get to see what the forward lined looks like without him.

But if you don't want to do that then just also rookie the best and youngest state league ruck that is ready to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back