45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Billings will either find his mojo or fall by the wayside.
However, regardless of our opinions he's clearly well regarded internally and will get another 2 year contract on less $$$.

If Steele has signed for the mooted 650K then JB coming off a big overs contract should not be looking at anything with a 5 in front of it, unless he becomes a gun at HF which he's still quite capable of doing.

With a smaller contract and the team on the up, he becomes very easily dispensable if he's not performing, but hopefully he can catch the wave as our onfield attitude becomes dominant.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Parker doesn't make a lot of sense to me, we'd be better off chasing Kelly or Merrett.

We've just brought in Crouch to go with Steele as big bodied inside mids, neither have a burst of speed and have Clark and Bytel developing.
Agreed.
I just don't think there's any point chasing FA mids, especially when we're not in the position to win a bidding war.
$1M+ x 5 years for Kelly, no thanks.
$800+ x 5 years for Merritt, no thanks.

Personally l want to see Bytel, Byrnes and a KPD slotted in to the team before we go and break the bank on FA's.
In 2 more years Steele, Hunts, Coff, Ming and others will all be on proper money, and the contracts of Robbo, Hanners, Jweb, Dmac will be off the books and the picture of player payments will be fairly clear for several years in advance.
That's our prime FA window IMO. 2023 and onwards.

Agreed.
I just don't think there's any point chasing FA mids, especially when we're not in the position to win a bidding war.
$1M+ x 5 years for Kelly, no thanks.
$800+ x 5 years for Merritt, no thanks.

Personally l want to see Bytel, Byrnes and a KPD slotted in to the team before we go and break the bank on FA's.
In 2 more years Steele, Hunts, Coff, Ming and others will all be on proper money, and the contracts of Robbo, Hanners, Jweb, Dmac will be off the books and the picture of player payments will be fairly clear for several years in advance.
That's our prime FA window IMO. 2023 and onwards.

I like that idea too but it's a bit arrogant to suggest we have a side capable of winning a flag and all we need to do is chuck a couple of kids with a few games to their name in instead of a top flight star. Even Richmond went for more top talent after winning a flag. Getting to the top finally gives us access to free agents at not over the top cost. If we start playing top 4 footy guys will sign for less to be part of it. Our window is just opening but it can slam shut pretty quickly as well. We still have less stars than the average top 4 side with more of an even spread and some high potential. Probably the opposite to Melbourne who are more like we were in the Lyon years with some top line stars and some junk down the bottom. 2023 might not have any quality there, this is a bumper crop and we'd be crazy not to sniff around it.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
I like that idea too but it's a bit arrogant to suggest we have a side capable of winning a flag and all we need to do is chuck a couple of kids with a few games to their name in instead of a top flight star. Even Richmond went for more top talent after winning a flag. Getting to the top finally gives us access to free agents at not over the top cost. If we start playing top 4 footy guys will sign for less to be part of it. Our window is just opening but it can slam shut pretty quickly as well. We still have less stars than the average top 4 side with more of an even spread and some high potential. Probably the opposite to Melbourne who are more like we were in the Lyon years with some top line stars and some junk down the bottom. 2023 might not have any quality there, this is a bumper crop and we'd be crazy not to sniff around it.
Each of the modern day successful clubs have first won one with a traditionally built list before attracting FA's to extend their window.
I'm all for sniffing around but there's a world of difference between a RFA and a FA, and it's the latter that we want.

Lets say in 2 years our midfield group is Steele, Crouch, Clark, Coff, Jones, Bytel, Byrnes, Gresh.

I have faith that internal growth will be the biggest factor from here on.

Each of the modern day successful clubs have first won one with a traditionally built list before attracting FA's to extend their window.
I'm all for sniffing around but there's a world of difference between a RFA and a FA, and it's the latter that we want.

Lets say in 2 years our midfield group is Steele, Crouch, Clark, Coff, Jones, Bytel, Byrnes, Gresh.

I have faith that internal growth will be the biggest factor from here on.

Richmond finished outside the 8 then went and grabbed Dion Prestia against what everyone was telling them. Nankervis and Caddy were also bought into the club and they won a premiership with all 3 of those guys playing outstanding footy. They also grabbed Shai Bolton and Graham that year at the draft. Tyson Stengle Crouch's mate who's at Adelaide too.

Armoooo

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Richmond finished outside the 8 then went and grabbed Dion Prestia against what everyone was telling them. Nankervis and Caddy were also bought into the club and they won a premiership with all 3 of those guys playing outstanding footy. They also grabbed Shai Bolton and Graham that year at the draft. Tyson Stengle Crouch's mate who's at Adelaide too.

They lost Lids at the same time they brought in Prestia and Nank was completely unestablished.

Richmond won their first flag without any marquee poachings, even if they didn't do it with an entirely homegrown list.

The way i see it, bringing in a Merrett type improves our premiership prospects for 2022-2023 but hamper our long term sustainability from 2024 onwards.

Should we win a flag in those first two years it would be worth it, but it is no guarantee.

For mine, it would be poor resource management to spend big on a FA mid, unless they were a perennial AA.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda

Sure, but what has any of that got to do with the discussion over high priced premium RFA's and FA's?

I'm pretty sure Prestia, Nanks and Caddy are not tracking around the $1M mark. Perhaps between them..

They lost Lids at the same time they brought in Prestia and Nank was completely unestablished.

Richmond won their first flag without any marquee poachings, even if they didn't do it with an entirely homegrown list.

The way i see it, bringing in a Merrett type improves our premiership prospects for 2022-2023 but hamper our long term sustainability from 2024 onwards.

Should we win a flag in those first two years it would be worth it, but it is no guarantee.

For mine, it would be poor resource management to spend big on a FA mid, unless they were a perennial AA.
I will take a premiership in 22 or 23 and worry about 24 and onwards after that

You take the best player you can afford when they are available

Armoooo

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I will take a premiership in 22 or 23 and worry about 24 and onwards after that

You take the best player you can afford when they are available

I think how Ryder and Carlisle/Frawley go will impact on the decision we make.

If Ryder's 2021 was like his 2020 and he looks good to go again and we have at least one of our key backs playing good footy it makes a lot more sense to try and capitalise while they're there.

If we need a new ruck and key back at the end of the year, I think we'd be less likely of winning a flag with this group if we go all out on a 27 year mid.

Lids was on a an injury cycle at the Tigers where he never played pretty much Hanners. If you read that article Lids wasn't impressed with chasing Prestia who was a gun mid.

We should just try to win one, not start fretting about keeping players. winning makes players stay and other come.

Jade Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
Roberton will be off the list at seasons end and he is by far the highest paid player on that list.

Jones should re-sign and take a little hair cut.

Dunstan is well paid and that should be another clogger gone.

Kent is decently paid and will either leave or take a hair cut.

Ross will go to the highest bidder or a significant hair cut.

I am led to believe there should be further re-signings soon and it was indicated that it would be one of coff or Hunter. They will get an increase but it shouldn’t be top 2 tiers at our club money.
Lot of haircuts there. St. Kilda barbers?

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Billings to Essendon for the 5th year in a row 😅

Won't go anywhere, one of our most important players and wants to stay.

If we need the cap space (we don't but let's say we do) plodders like Kent and Dunstan (with the retirement of Roberton) will come well before someone with the quality of Billings being traded.
If Merrett wanted to come to us but we had to let billing’s go to make it happen would we do it ?

Aug 9, 2006
Level 2 Bar, Coventry End
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Packers, Detroit Tigers
Neither was Fiora really but once people see you as soft there's nothing you can do about it. He looks flaky in front of goal and you can see his brain playing tricks on his confidence.

V true about Fiora. Was not afraid to put his body on the line but got called all sorts of names.

If Merrett wanted to come to us but we had to let billing’s go to make it happen would we do it ?
Hard to say, JB now has the ability to play this year at his natural position with Crouch and Higgins coming across. Wait and see.

That’s an easy yes. Merrett is what we thought Billings would be.

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
Roberton will be off the list at seasons end and he is by far the highest paid player on that list.

Jones should re-sign and take a little hair cut.

Dunstan is well paid and that should be another clogger gone.

Kent is decently paid and will either leave or take a hair cut.

Ross will go to the highest bidder or a significant hair cut.

I am led to believe there should be further re-signings soon and it was indicated that it would be one of coff or Hunter. They will get an increase but it shouldn’t be top 2 tiers at our club money.

FC6081BB-079D-4F05-AFA6-561D2D3BB61E.jpeg

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Some folks getting triggered by the mere suggestion that Jack might be "soft", or hear footsteps, or fumble when there's someone near him way too often, but it's not like this is some sort of secret.

I mean wasn't it reported a year or two ago that Jack had been having some sort of martial arts training outside the club, to get him more used to the physicality you face in AFL footy?

In other words, he was basically scared of physical contact, and had to get outside help to improve that side of his game (to his credit) and while I agree that he's definitely made significant progress in that area, I just have no doubt that he's not all the way there yet.

Hoping he will be by this year though, as it's clearly something that he and the club identified as an issue and that he has gone above and beyond to remedy (to his credit).

And some are triggered when their ridiculous calls that JB is soft are questioned.

It's funny how this wasn't mentioned once in the first half of last season.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I can't remember seeing it but then I can't say I overly noticed him after the first quarter of the season when he was flying toward AA standard then dropped away. His first part of the season looked his best yet. I think he was playing pure wing opposite Hill and he looked like what we hoped Hill would be. We seemed to move him around from there and he looked a lot less effective.

Gresh's injury caused some shuffling in the midfield and one of those was JB. As we spoke about numerous times last year, JB wasn't the only bloke in the league who's form nosedived after months away in the hub. Sadly he's an easy target for anyone who doesn't want to consider what influences some players to lose their touch.

OxSaint

All Australian
Oct 7, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Are the individuals potting Billings for being soft the same denoting Coffield as the second coming? I find that interesting.

If Coffield attacked the footy and the man like Billings he would be a significantly better footballer Not saying Billings is a bull, but he has adequate physicality for the roles he plays. Hopefully Coffield can get there but has some improvement in that area to go yet.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Davies-Uniacke OOC at the end of the year. He might want to be at a club that has a chance of seeing some success in the next few years.

I'd be having a red hot crack at joining him up with Coff, Hunter and Higgo.
He'll get twice the money from Norff and will walk in to the captain's job pretty soonish.
But yes, lets have a serious dip..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back