25. Dean Kent - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Trade Period
Players: Monday October 4 – Wednesday October 13
Picks: Monday October 4 – tbc (approx. Friday November 19)

List Lodgement 1
tbc (approx. Thursday October 28)

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
tbc (approx. Friday October 29 - Monday November 8)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
tbc (approx. Tuesday November 9)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
tbc (approx. Wednesday November 10 - Friday November 19)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ben king gets done for this years pick 9 and our future first and battle.
With essendons prospects being perceived to be better than ours in 2022, Gold Coast should take that.

One of two things would need to happen for this eventuality:

1. Bing requests a trade or advises the Suns that he will not seek a new contract with them.

2. Gold Coast cannot reduce their playing list to accommodate the mandatory 3 draft selections.

The first point is uncertain, but the second point is a distinct possibility. Contracted players like Will Brodie cannot find new homes, nobody is interested in them. The Suns will be struggling to reduce their list prior to the draft. They also have a bursting salary cap.

I agree.

I also think it suits our club to go to the draft this year with many mids available, hopefully get our two NGAs, then we’re pretty stocked. Get Ben next year, when the picks we’re giving up are hopefully nowhere near as good as pick 9.

Still got Ben’s brother, Sharman and Membrey as our main forwards this year.
Plus Marshall

Please remind me - what was it that the WCE and us took a drop in last season that the rest of the clubs have to do this year? Was it salary cap spend?

Did you get to the GF?
Spot on!

Nah didn't get tickets. I got up early. 30 minutes before they went on sale went to the site. 10 mins later they opened the waiting room. Joined that instantly.

Then tickets open up and I'm 35k in the queue. Have other devices that are 110k.

Turns out they just randomly assigned a position in the waiting room. So was lotto.

Knew a person who was 2k in the queue and didn't get tickets.

I think Ben lost the ambassadors money last year because of COVID. The longer he stays there, the more time GC and the AFL will try and keep him there. Clarkson will be there next year too.
It really comes down to what Ben wants, all speculation until then.
I think there's other things happening behind the scenes that are going to shake up the AFL massively.

I think clarko is tassie bound.

I think Ben lost the ambassadors money last year because of COVID. The longer he stays there, the more time GC and the AFL will try and keep him there. Clarkson will be there next year too.

He didn’t lose it - GC had to pay it instead of the AFL I believe.

Not questioning you at all gringo. It is disappointing for young men when they are treated like meat at trade time.

Probably at our end we didn't know what to do when both offers looked like coming to fruition so stalled while we tried to move things around to pay for them....then it got taken out of our hands. You probably have to put out lots of offers hoping one of them comes good. Sometimes two come good unexpectedly.

Clarkson isn’t going to GC, he will play for a Tassie team and coach them.

I think there's other things happening behind the scenes that are going to shake up the AFL massively.

I think clarko is tassie bound.
He'll be freshened up then. Even if it gets approved next year, aTassie team will be years away.

Not questioning you at all gringo. It is disappointing for young men when they are treated like meat at trade time.
Totally agree with this , if they try to leave and they are any good they get harassed , however if they are performing average they out the door.
So loyalty is only shown if your any good - this is why Ross is most probably feels jilted , from being dual club champion , fill in captain and one of the main leaders in the team to now being basically unwanted in most probably the age he should be at his best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t believe people are trying to convince themselves that having two Kings is a bad thing 😂😂

No-one thinks it's a bad thing. Quite the opposite, it takes discipline not grab at exciting things. We have neglected the midfield for 20 years and while we might be able to compete with Richmond we now have two dominant teams that are playing superior midfields. Naughton was nearly irrelevant and Fritsch was the only forward who has kicked 6 since Jarman in 97.

The sides we are going to have to beat to win a premiership have insane mids. We have adequate mids and hope that a couple of guys might step up. The best mids come high in the draft. Even the freaks that defy the draft order like Touk Miller, Steele and Merret are taken early 20s. Stepping out of the first and second rounds for years sounds like a gamble not a plan.

2020 Picks 26 and 45. Highmore looks a bargain so far. Cooper Sharman and Heath in the mid season. Sharman looks amazing so far. Zero mids.
2019 Picks 52 and 64. Byrnes and Connolly. Byrnes looks like he's a best 22 future player, Connolly good traits. 1 Mid.
2018 Picks 4,41,47,51, 67. King future star, Bytel could be anything. Hind, Young and Parker gone. 1 mid.
2017 Picks 6, 7, 35, 46. Clark, Coff, Clavarino and Paton. 1 mid.
2016 Picks 25, 39, 56. Long, Battle and Phillips. I midfielder -delisted.
2015 Picks 18, 40, 49. Gresham, Brandon White and Bailey Rice. 1 mid.
2014 Picks 1, 21, 22, 41. McCartin, Goddard, McKenzie and Lonie. Zero mids.
2013 Picks 3, 18, 19, 83. Billings, Dunstan, Acres and Curren. 3 mids. One HFF likely left in 2022.
2012 Picks 24, 25, 40, 43,75, 90. Wright, White, Murdoch, Saunders, Dunnell. 1 mid.
2011 Picks 25, 35, 37, 60, 68. Ross, Markworth, Newnes, Lever, Maister. 1 mid.
2010 Picks 24, 43, 59,75, 90. Cripps, Crocker, Ledger, Sipposs, Gamble. 2 mids.

We have traded in Steele, Jones, Crouch though.

Our mids in 2021.
Inside mids- Crouch, Steele, Dunstan, Bytel.
Inside/outside mids- Jones, Ross, Byrnes, Gresham.
Wingmen- Hill, Billings, Dmac
Potential to become mids Clark maybe Higgins.

I know people don't rate Ross and Dunny but our already light on midfield will get thinner next year.

Totally agree with this , if they try to leave and they are any good they get harassed , however if they are performing average they out the door.
So loyalty is only shown if your any good - this is why Ross is most probably feels jilted , from being dual club champion , fill in captain and one of the main leaders in the team to now being basically unwanted in most probably the age he should be at his best.

Ross is playing a similar role to what Brayshaw is doing and a similar trajectory. High in the side but pushed back to a supporting role as better mids came in. He's still a decent player. I think people might realise what those guys did when they're gone.

Can almost guarantee 1 of 2 things will happen:

Owens will get selected in the top 20 and this place will lose its sh*t,

Or

Owens will get selected at pick 21 or deeper and we won’t even match and this place will lose its sh*t.

Either way we’re losing our sh*t
Or, Owens gets through to pick 46 and we use it to redraft Dunstan.

No-one thinks it's a bad thing. Quite the opposite, it takes discipline not grab at exciting things. We have neglected the midfield for 20 years and while we might be able to compete with Richmond we now have two dominant teams that are playing superior midfields. Naughton was nearly irrelevant and Fritsch was the only forward who has kicked 6 since Jarman in 97.

The sides we are going to have to beat to win a premiership have insane mids. We have adequate mids and hope that a couple of guys might step up. The best mids come high in the draft. Even the freaks that defy the draft order like Touk Miller, Steele and Merret are taken early 20s. Stepping out of the first and second rounds for years sounds like a gamble not a plan.

2020 Picks 26 and 45. Highmore looks a bargain so far. Cooper Sharman and Heath in the mid season. Sharman looks amazing so far. Zero mids.
2019 Picks 52 and 64. Byrnes and Connolly. Byrnes looks like he's a best 22 future player, Connolly good traits. 1 Mid.
2018 Picks 4,41,47,51, 67. King future star, Bytel could be anything. Hind, Young and Parker gone. 1 mid.
2017 Picks 6, 7, 35, 46. Clark, Coff, Clavarino and Paton. 1 mid.
2016 Picks 25, 39, 56. Long, Battle and Phillips. I midfielder -delisted.
2015 Picks 18, 40, 49. Gresham, Brandon White and Bailey Rice. 1 mid.
2014 Picks 1, 21, 22, 41. McCartin, Goddard, McKenzie and Lonie. Zero mids.
2013 Picks 3, 18, 19, 83. Billings, Dunstan, Acres and Curren. 3 mids. One HFF likely left in 2022.
2012 Picks 24, 25, 40, 43,75, 90. Wright, White, Murdoch, Saunders, Dunnell. 1 mid.
2011 Picks 25, 35, 37, 60, 68. Ross, Markworth, Newnes, Lever, Maister. 1 mid.
2010 Picks 24, 43, 59,75, 90. Cripps, Crocker, Ledger, Sipposs, Gamble. 2 mids.

We have traded in Steele, Jones, Crouch though.

Our mids in 2021.
Inside mids- Crouch, Steele, Dunstan, Bytel.
Inside/outside mids- Jones, Ross, Byrnes, Gresham.
Wingmen- Hill, Billings, Dmac
Potential to become mids Clark maybe Higgins.

I know people don't rate Ross and Dunny but our already light on midfield will get thinner next year.
Petracca dominated the GF like no other and had plenty of assistance. But there were other reasons Dees won easy in the end. Melbourne were more efficient going into the forward 50 which means better skill level and not much pressure from the Dogs. Dees got a lot of easy ball forward and were quicker than the dogs backs who were poor IMO. Dogs struggled in attack and beaten by the Dees defence. Melbourne had superior rucks.

My points are that in the recruiting list supplied, I dont see a good key backman nor ruckman drafted either let alone a top midfielder. King stands out like a beacon and the jury is out a bit on 2017. There is the odd player who will play 150-200 games. It is a damning indictment of our drafting for sure. No real high skill level amongst the recruits drafted & no great speed either. Most of the good recruits have been traded in as mentioned. As seen by the GF result , it goes a bit deeper than Petracca, Oliver and Bont. The midfielders are not the be all and end all.

We have the rucks at this stage, a competent forward line that may be elite in 2022 but that is where it stops. Yes, need 2 good midfielders but also need a good CHB and a good spare ruck who can take a mark. Even then, maybe 6th in 22 or 23. Need at least 3 current AA to compete against the best.

Ross is playing a similar role to what Brayshaw is doing and a similar trajectory. High in the side but pushed back to a supporting role as better mids came in. He's still a decent player. I think people might realise what those guys did when they're gone.
Would much rather Brayshaw though. Gets a lot of hard ball and disposal is better. Ross is getting close to past it. If the club gets 2 midfielders of any quality . Ross is in the magoos.

People are very harsh and view Clark with the opposite of rose coloured glasses. I think he suffered from being out of sight out of mind. Watch his games against Hawthorn and his final last year. It didn’t help that he was severely injured this year. We desperately need to play him on the ball. With Sinclair’s down back hopefully we can leave him there as he adds a different dynamic to our midfield. Also if we can get him averagin 28 touches plus we’ll be in a good state. Plus we need him challenging for all Australian because that his level at a minimum.

Yeah big ask for both Paton and Gresh but still would float that option of trading Webster well before Wilke.
I agree that it's Wilkie over Webster but I'm definitely keeping both. Webster has had an awful recent run of injury but before that he was one of our most important players and there's no reason he can't be that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back