List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming we take Clark for a pick in the 20’s, I think I’d still like to use out first next year for something significant this year…could get us a couple of the talls in the late teens allowing us to use 6 and 8 on best mid and maybe someone like Rachele.

for those advocating NWM, do you think Clark changes that?

what do we expect of Freddy?

No Clark should not change being interested in NWM because we lack real speed from the wing and one player is not going to change that. NWM+Amiss+Clark+Benning is still a solid takeout of the D&T period.

Individually I think Tabs and Lobb are ok forwards. Looking at the 'team' that won last night, I don't think either will be part of a premiership team though. They don't have the necessary forward smarts or ability to coordinate as part of a team from what I have seen.

We have no choice to play them because some draftee is unlikely to pass them in their first couple of years but it really feels like we are just delaying the inevitable. We need forwards that are not only dangerous individually with ball in hand but that also bring their fellow forwards into the game through coordinated patterns, pressure, coordination, blocking, creating space etc.

To be honest, Brown and Jackson are only "okay" forwards as well; Jackson is a touch more mobile than Lobb, but Lobb is taller and also has his moments.

What makes them look good is the speed of the ball movement from the centre, as well as the quality of Pickett and Fritsch. McDonald and Spargo and the like are also okay players - they are the Treacy and Shultz/Switta level talent of the team that we already have.

I would be gobsmacked if JVR lasts past 10. Genuine swingmen are gold in this business. The only knock on him is his height which is more around that 3rd tall category - not the monster 200cm that goes so well these days
No one is drafting JVR to play him in defence. He's only playing there if he doesn't make it as a forward.

Max Chipper, Ben Hewett and Joshua Browne getting good number in Colts Prelim, Williams with 1 goal.

I think both Amiss and JVR are good chances of making it as forwards in the AFL. Benning an outside chance of being a good to great fwd ruck.
With only Treacy under 28 and over 190cm I don't believe it would be an over investment to select all 3, even if it meant using 2 top 10 picks for Amiss and JVR.

I hope we get Amiss. I know he hasn't played against men yet but:
- Good size @ 195cm ish
- Natural forward with good hands
- Kicks straight
- Leads at ball carrier
- Team player
- Good @ ground level
- Has upside / bit of a rough diamond.
Ideally we hedge our bets & somehow get him & JVR (one out of two should become a good forward + a bit of competition is good).
Williams I'm not so sold on - looks like a WAFL player to me - would rather go for Benning as a Ruck/forward.

Sent from my RMX2111 using Tapatalk

Williams kicks three in the pouring rain to nearly drag EF over the line v SD....end result SD are off to the GF winning by 2 points......usual culprits winning plenty of the footy in Chipper and Browne....let's see if JVR can replicate his goalkicking heroics for a third week on the trot.....gonna be another wet one apparently.....

Williams kicks three in the pouring rain to nearly drag EF over the line v SD....end result SD are off to the GF winning by 2 points......usual culprits winning plenty of the footy in Chipper and Browne....let's see if JVR can replicate his goalkicking heroics for a third week on the trot.....gonna be another wet one apparently.....

Who's coaching Swans? Seems to have done a good job.

I would be gobsmacked if JVR lasts past 10. Genuine swingmen are gold in this business. The only knock on him is his height which is more around that 3rd tall category - not the monster 200cm that goes so well these days
You could of said the same thing about Oscar Allen, and Brander was the taller option😜

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect like every year we'll spend the next few weeks going through that usual phase of thinking we need to be just like (insert GF winner) Melbourne to win a premiership and people will point to the midfield (eg Petracca) who were immense and deserving of the plaudits...

But they'll ignore that 15 of their 21 goals yesterday were kicked by their forward line. I'd be pretty confident (without checking) that Freo's forward line hasn't kicked 15 goals in a single game in the past 5 years. Unlikely they've even kicked 10+ against a top 8 team. And why not when at one stage you could argue our midfield was every bit as good, if not better?

BHill ~ Sandi ~ Fyfe ~ Mundy ~ Neale ~ Langdon
Brayshaw ~ Gawn ~ Petracca ~ Oliver ~ Viney ~ Langdon

What is different between those two teams?

Hill was an attacking runner. Brayshaw plays defensively and is much harder/stronger. Viney and Oliver are right up there in tackle averages across the league. There is an enormous difference in the defensive traits of those midfields you have listed. We also used to play S.Hill, Walters and Weller at times. Melbourne have Harmes, Neal-Bullen and Sparrow ... all hard/tough/defensive. Our midfield has been soft and weak ever since we moved on Barlow, DeBoer, Suban, Mzungu, Crowley.

I totally agree our forward line has been a shambles and needs fixing as a priority. Both personnel and coaching/training. But if we can somehow achieve that, it won't solve all our problems.

Hill was an attacking runner. Brayshaw plays defensively and is much harder/stronger. Viney and Oliver are right up there in tackle averages across the league. There is an enormous difference in the defensive traits of those midfields you have listed. We also used to play S.Hill, Walters and Weller at times. Melbourne have Harmes, Neal-Bullen and Sparrow ... all hard/tough/defensive. Our midfield has been soft and weak ever since we moved on Barlow, DeBoer, Suban, Mzungu, Crowley.

I totally agree our forward line has been a shambles and needs fixing as a priority. Both personnel and coaching/training. But if we can somehow achieve that, it won't solve all our problems.
I agree that we need to add a defensive mid to the centre. Our options atm are Banners and Noddy which fit that mould. We could also draft someone like Kade Dittmar who looks like would be the perfect campaigner for us. He also kicks goals which is nice.

I'm still on the Rachele bandwagon with one of our firsts.

I reckon he could play round one and have an instant, positive effect on our forward line.
I really understand the attraction to Rachele and if he is in purple next year that's all good by me. However your post highlights why I would prioritise other positions.

Small forwards often impact early in their careers, however a player like Wanganeen-Millera will take time to develop his body and his tank. Wing/midfield is significantly more complex and takes time to develop into.

I really understand the attraction to Rachele and if he is in purple next year that's all good by me. However your post highlights why I would prioritise other positions.

Small forwards often impact early in their careers, however a player like Wanganeen-Millera will take time to develop his body and his tank. Wing/midfield is significantly more complex and takes time to develop into.
My liking for him extends to the belief that he can play mid down the track as well.

He just seems to be a clever, talented footballer and the comparison to Toby Green seems close to the mark for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back