List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve got 2 ways they go about it and I’m not bothered either way.
6. Erasmus
8. Wanganeen-milera
19. Williams
Or
6. Amiss
8. Wanganeen-milera
19. Best available.

just think wanganeen-milera is best fit for freo as he is hill’s replacement

I feel like the Cats and Tigers would have invested heavily in zoom calls and meetings, and are well placed with their local Vic knowledge. Their picks between 20-35 this year could all be quality Victorian gems and would not be surprised if there’s quite a few that become A grade players.

Only benefit for Freo is we hold pick 19 which I’m sure will be a very good talent if we deal with the Cats/ Tigers for their 2nd rounders so must draft quality WA kids to remove risk here.

I feel like the Cats and Tigers would have invested heavily in zoom calls and meetings, and are well placed with their local Vic knowledge. Their picks between 20-35 this year could all be quality Victorian gems and would not be surprised if there’s quite a few that become A grade players.

Only benefit for Freo is we hold pick 19 which I’m sure will be a very good talent if we deal with the Cats/ Tigers for their 2nd rounders so must draft quality WA kids to remove risk here.
We also have Walls' storage locker.

I just want to throw Ben Hobbs into the conversation.

Bit of a beast - would be handy in our annual drubbings by bigger bodied midfields.

Just like Caleb Serong isn’t he.
nothing wrong that that.
looks like a tackling machine too and high tackle counts win flags

Doubt the Cats will be interested in an upgrade they have pick 22 only 3 spots below us and likely to be happy to wait a couple selections.

Richmond a big show for an upgrade. They have picks 26,27,28 and two F2’s.

Sydney with pick 31 and two F1’s (ie willing to trade out their F2).

19 (21) > 28 (30) and F2
19 (21) > 31 (33) and F2

We still have access to a good draftee like Williams, Bazzo, Sheldrick, Hough or a Vic slider and a desperately needed second round pick for 2022.

I would take anything less. I would accept higher (ie a future first and a later pick maybe) but otherwise we use the selection ourselves.

JLo is looking for more speed and Clark has added some of that, with a later pick( maybe trading an early pick for second round picks)we could look at
Corey Warner, the guy is seriously quick and talented athletically, looking at his combine results. He is a ball magnet as well.

I think we keep 19 and use it ....JVR or Williams.

Take Amiss plus whoever is there to add to our midfield in Erasmus or Johnson ....or add elite kick & mover in Wanganeen-Milera.

I'd be stoked with Amiss, NWM/Johnson & JVR/Williams...throw in Benning and that is a good bloody draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve got 2 ways they go about it and I’m not bothered either way.
6. Erasmus
8. Wanganeen-milera
19. Williams
Or
6. Amiss
8. Wanganeen-milera
19. Best available.

just think wanganeen-milera is best fit for freo as he is hill’s replacement
I think Clark portrays as the Hill replacement.

I think Clark portrays as the Hill replacement.

I'd rather Clark off a HBF to be honest....having NWM delivering that ball into the forward line would be belissimo

If anyone needs any proof that I've got no clue how to assess draft talent (yes, I'm sure you've all be wondering), it's in this vid, courtesy of wayToGo_ :

I think this guy is a good alternative to check out as an alternative to NWM (although he might not last to the rookie list):

I look at this and wonder how on earth he's not spoken about more frequently. Speed; agility; amazing one-hand pick-ups and grabs; quick, smart decision-making; and decent skills... About the only thing he doesn't seem to have is a left foot (and I'm sure another 5-10 cm wouldn't go astray).

At 20, he's obviously been assessed and dismissed in earlier years, but I wonder about the Tim Kelly potential. If any of our resident draft-watchers (Ysaye ? Chris25 ?) could shed some light, I'd be very grateful.

Zoom calls and local knowledge didn't turn up Treacy for them last year.

Zoom calls and local knowledge didn't turn up Treacy for them last year.

To be fair Treacy ate his webcam and headset during the interview

Why not haha? Who would you have us take
Not a ruckman when we already have the best young ruckman in the comp. And not an undersized key forward . Name me one leading goal kicker in the WAFL colts who has gone on to be a good AFL forward?
Maybe Medhurst? Did he lead the colts goal kicking?

Not a ruckman when we already have the best young ruckman in the comp. And not an undersized key forward . Name me one leading goal kicker in the WAFL colts who has gone on to be a good AFL forward?
Most of the very good forwards just went straight to seniors.
But they had the U18 championships to highlight their ability.
McDonald is the last to go from colts. But he had the chance due to playing beforehand at U18’s as a 17 year old.
The good ones at least debut at wafl.
Interesting that JVR, I think Polson and Hough did for Peel?
Not many though are like Jakovich, then you have guys like Sumich, Kennedy, Darling, OE.
Most just showed glimpses, but we’re too good for colts.

Here's a list of who led the colts goalkicking based off stats from the WAFL site:

YearPlayerClubGoalsBehinds
2011Mason ShawSouth Freo6632
2012Alex HowsonEast Freo5827
2013Rhys McAlisterSubiaco5821
2014Cameron LoerschSouth Freo5728
2015Brett MilwardPeel Thunder5826
2016Shai BoltonSouth Freo3723
2017Dillon O'ReillyEast Freo4619
2018Jack MayoSubiaco5044
2019Ben MiddletonPeel Thunder3021
=2020Sandon PageSubiaco247
=2020Corey RundleWest Perth2418
2021Jye AmissEast Perth5115

Name me one leading goal kicker in the WAFL colts who has gone on to be a good AFL forward?
Shai Bolton in 2016. Jake Waterman was 3rd that year (he was 5th in his bottom age year).

It's generally hard though because in most years they don't play many Colts games due to other commitments like the National champs. Or they get promoted to League/Reserves games. Both of these things happened less the past two years due to Covid.

I still think JVR is the best key forward in the pool but Amiss is quality also. I keep coming back to wanting both thinking that if Hawthorn can win 3 premierships in a row with both Roughhead and Gunston key to those only a few years ago then why can't we have both JVR and Amiss on our list?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back