List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think Sturt is the most exciting player on our list for a number of reasons if we can only keep him on the park.

One of only a couple who can kick a goal from outside 50 (along with Treacy and maybe Darcy)
Good overhead and hard to match up on.
One of the quickest players on our list.
And that special lead up in between player we are all crying out for.
Add JVR, Rachele and Motlop and we'd have 5 players in our forward line who could kick goals from outside 50 (not including Darcy). Also a lot less stressful thinking they are more likely to goal than to miss like our current forward line.

An available Sturt would be huge. Would be good timing if we draft heavily with forwards as well.

How does JVR compare to Oscar Allen in his draft year?

Sturt certainly isn't a small. I also don't think Switta is a small forward - I think he is a half forward/mid. Probably unfair on Schultz though - however there are reasons he was a late pick - in his case maybe not next year but the year after?

If we are picking Rachele using our pick #6 then I'd kind of hope he had the potential to become our best small forward using such a high pick. He was one of the best in the Academy v Geelong VFL game which is the main reason I rate him. Similarly Motlop, who certainly has the talent and could go one of two ways in a professional environment. Both talented with ball in hand. The fact that both can kick goals from outside 50 and know how to tackle against senior bodies is a bonus.

If we had drafted Kysaiah Pickett do you think he would he be our best small forward this year? That is what I'd be hoping for from picking up Rachele and/or Motlop.

Don’t think it really matters what height Sturt is. He’s quick enough to play as a small but has height to be a danger in the air. He’d be in direct competition for them for a spot with height only helping his cause.

Pickett would’ve been our best small forward this year but it was his second season not his first. Can’t really remember how he went in 2020 tbh.

Sure you’d be drafting them because you think they’ll be an upgrade on what we currently have in the future but expecting them to do it next season is unreasonable. At the same time though if they’re good enough to play, they play and them making a significant contribution isn’t beyond the realms of possibility.

Don’t think it really matters what height Sturt is. He’s quick enough to play as a small but has height to be a danger in the air. He’d be in direct competition for them for a spot with height only helping his cause.

Pickett would’ve been our best small forward this year but it was his second season not his first. Can’t really remember how he went in 2020 tbh.

Sure you’d be drafting them because you think they’ll be an upgrade on what we currently have in the future but expecting them to do it next season is unreasonable. At the same time though if they’re good enough to play, they play and them making a significant contribution isn’t beyond the realms of possibility.
I know you like to argue with me for the sake of it but this really isn't a very constructive discussion. I could crap on about why Schultz isn't a genuine small forward either because I don't ever remember him crumbing off a pack and he plays more like a medium forward, just to justify my perspective but I've already declared I was probably being unfair on him saying a draftee would over take him next year.

It is all moot to the main point I was making though... I think Rachele would likely make our forward line better and be good a piece to the future. I also think Motlop has the talent to (if he has the desire). I'm not convinced loading up on other short people who can't kick goals helps our cause. That's really all that matters in my post. Whether they become our best in 2022 or 2024 doesn't really matter.

Watched the first three quarts of the game today. Didn’t see anyone on either side I thought ‘must get him’. Certainly wouldn’t spend a top 10 pick on anyone who played.

I now have a better understanding of Belly’s comments about not restricting ourselves to WA players.

I liked both benning and Motlop but I wouldn’t reach for either. Disposal out of the midfield seemed to let us down frequently. Left me with question marks over many.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watched the first three quarts of the game today. Didn’t see anyone on either side I thought ‘must get him’. Certainly wouldn’t spend a top 10 pick on anyone who played.

I now have a better understanding of Belly’s comments about not restricting ourselves to WA players.

I liked both benning and Motlop but I wouldn’t reach for either. Disposal out of the midfield seemed to let us down frequently. Left me with question marks over many.
The problem is if you go and watch the Academy v Geelong VFL game you probably don't want anyone else in the draft pool based on their skills either. I rewatched it the other day and was appalled. Rachele was the only one who seemed to be able to hit the side of a barn. And the defensive running by most of the midfielders was so bad that if I were coaching them I'm not sure any of them would still be on the field. On a related note, I have no idea who was coaching them but it did not look good either. Get that they are pulled together from all over Australia (and don't train often as a group) but they are supposed to be the best players for their age group. Poor back line was left out to dry and the forward line had no supply at all. I don't remember getting so pissed off watching it at the time but I was f'in annoyed when I saw players that did zero defensive work were listed in the bests.

You need to consider our most likely top 20 weren’t playing! Erasmus, Amiss, Johnston

Think it depends on what he costs. I see a heap of development potential particularly around his fitness - the talent is there in spades. If he somehow lasted past #40 we'd be laughing imo because he'd effectively be a free hit. Increase his endurance and speed (both possible) and he'd impact more often. He still bobs up for a goal a game at League level at only 17 without being in peak shape. If I wasn't in Freo's position (NGA linked) I'm not so sure I'd spend a top 40 pick on him though. Is the risk/reward worth it for other clubs?

Say we draft Rachele would you still match a bid on Motlop?

Looking at how far pick 61 may come in, this question may not be as dumb as it seems on the surface. Will be somewhere in 40s if we use that selection.

The disposal errors didn’t improve in the last. It did seem a bit windy.

The SA boy Blayne O’Loughlin played well as did Sheldrick for WA and Roberts for SA.

WA were the better team but untidy is the nicest way describe their play; handballs to the feet of taller guys, too many handballs in general. In fact you generally don’t get the best vision on a screen of what is happening around the play but I could see WA players telegraphing their handballs to another WA player with SA players sweating on the player to receive like there was no awareness of a red jumper at times.

Of the WA players that went ok:
- Sheldrick
- Warner
- Hough

And I thought big Jack Williams did quite well. Looked a bit slow and rusty early doors but took some nice marks in the backline, did ok in the ruck and kicked two goals.

Motlop showed his talent at times and went ok in the last quarter. I’m with WTG that I’m not sure that I would pull the trigger in the top 40 but someone may do so in the late 30’s to avoid a free hit to Freo.

I’m not sure why Twomey has rated Motlop so highly, but even he has had him dropping to the 25-30 range of his phantom drafts. I’ve generally seen Motlop around 30-40 but from what I’ve seen the past month probably now around 35-45 and a similar range to Sheldrick, Hough and Warner.

I’d love a free hit but at the same time I’m not going to be devastated if he gets called out between 30-39. If he does get called out at 39 it will be a case of SOS back from the grave.

Benning will be available for us as a Cat-B.

Looking at how far pick 61 may come in, this question may not be as dumb as it seems on the surface. Will be somewhere in 40s if we use that selection.
No for me if we draft Rachelle unless it’s outside #40

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Motlop once spending a year or two in the system will be a gun. Don't think he will reach Kozzy levels but you never know. Henry can learn a thing or two from his attack on the ball and two way running.

I still think Sturt is the most exciting player on our list for a number of reasons if we can only keep him on the park.

One of only a couple who can kick a goal from outside 50 (along with Treacy and maybe Darcy)
Good overhead and hard to match up on.
One of the quickest players on our list.
And that special lead up in between player we are all crying out for.

so exciting but a long wait between ecstatic moments - four games in three years. Never was keen for us to draft him because of exactly what has happened. But happy to be proved wrong in 2022.

No for me if we draft Rachelle unless it’s outside #40

We can only match a Motlop bid outside 40.

Pick 61 is likely to drop down into the mid 40s, once you consider all the picks that’ll disappear matching f/s and academy bids.

Last edited:
We can only use a Motlop bid outside 40.

Pick 61 is likely to drop down into the mid 40s, once you consider all the picks that’ll disappear matching f/s and academy bids.
Yes already corrected my faceplant post

I'd only count ten or so picks that will disappear before our current #61 and #69

At the moment…

There’s more to play out with St Kilda and GWS unless they want to go into deficit next year.

I think GWS will hold their current position until they know Fahey gets past pick 15 (13). Pick 53 (will come in a bit) on it’s own isn’t enough to match a bid likely in the late teens or early 20s.

St Kilda have two NGA players likely to go between 20 and 30 and likely only have points for one of them. They probably don’t have the list spots to hold many more picks so the best strategy is probably trading in more points after matching the first bid.

There’s clubs with picks in the 50s they won’t use. I’m looking at Brisbane for a start.

It won’t become clear until draft night.

We may still trade the picks in the 60s after they come down after the two bids so I'm not assuming anything on what picks we end up with yet.

But if Motlop lasts past 40 I'd happily match a bid irrespective if we got Rachele earlier or not. I'd hesitate using a pick inside 40 to get him depending on who else was available. For instance if we trade #19 for a pick in the mid to late 20s it would depend a lot on who else is still available. The dream is Motlop lasts to Cat B along with Benning :)

Didn’t see Benning in that final quarter, must have been resting him.

There was one ruck contest late in Q3 where I caught a glimpse of him maybe getting a knock. Possibly knee-on-knee when jumping at a centre bounce. The camera went away and couldn't really tell for sure. Didn't really notice him after that.

With the likelihood that Lobb is going ,I think it is imperative that we get Mac Andrew with our first pick. Twomey has him rated at position 9 ,so hopefully our first pick should get him. I've looked at his highlights and his athleticism is out of this world, he's everything Ruck, midfielder, outside run, contested mark etc

So my picks would be:-

Mac Andrew
Neil Erasmus
Josh Sin ( outside run, speed )

Jacob Van Rooyen : Juggle what ever we get for Lobb
Jack Williams :

Jesse Motlop
Eric Benning

Rookies I would look at:-
James Tunstill (docker supporter )
Luke Polson
Gregory Clark ( Barlow Clone ? maybe, you never know )

Added to above we'd already have Brodie and Jordon Clark, all up plenty of midfielders and speed
I know it's a bit of a stretch to get both Rooyen and Williams, I would hope to get at least one.

Last edited:
With the likelihood that Lobb is going ,I think it is imperative that we get Mac Andrew with our first pick. Twomey has him rated at position 9 ,so hopefully our first pick should get him. I've looked at his highlights and his athleticism is out of this world, he's everything Ruck, midfielder, outside run, contested mark etc

So my picks would be:-

Mac Andrew
Neil Erasmus
Josh Sin ( outside run, speed )

Jacob Van Rooyen : Juggle what ever we get for Lobb
Jack Williams :

Jesse Motlop
Eric Benning

Rookies I would look at:-
James Tunstill (docker supporter )
Luke Polson
Gregory Clark ( Barlow Clone ? maybe, you never know )

Added to above we'd already have Brodie and Jordon Clark, all up plenty of midfielders and speed
I know it's a bit of a stretch to get both Rooyen and Williams, I would hope to get at least one.

I don’t think Andrew will get to freo pick. GWS hawks and even the crows need a ruckman. I think he’ll go 2 GWS will play Lobb forward

sin over wanganeen-milera??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back