Universal Love 2022-24 Random Chat - BBQ, Other Food, Cats, Whatever

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah, the yearly Alice game.

Can't wait to listen to BT repeatedly talking about that ******* tree.
probably still better than the rest of the ****ing dribble that comes out of his mouth

Advice requested ...

I invited some old work colleagues (8 in total) round for 'afternoon tea' on Sun-dy arvo. I'm not a posh person.

So, what to serve? Cake/tea/coffee/fancy biscuits obviously.

A friend said I should buy some posh sandwiches. The ones with the crusts cut off. Hmm, not sure about that.

I was thinking sushi, dips, chippins. Perhaps some spring rolls?

I don't wanna look like a try hard. But I want to look like I've made some effort.

Thoughts?

Advice requested ...

I invited some old work colleagues (8 in total) round for 'afternoon tea' on Sun-dy arvo. I'm not a posh person.

A friend said I should buy some posh sandwiches. The ones with the crusts cut off. Hmm, not sure about that.

I don't wanna look like a try hard. But I want to look like I've made some effort.

Thoughts?
Bit of charcuterie never goes astray (don't think it makes you 'posh', per se). Some cold meats (prosciutto, salami, ham etc), some cheeses (think brie and maybe some sharper cheddar or something), crackers and some fruit. Then yeah, maybe add something sweet and something hot (like the spring rolls, or some spinach pastries).

Sandwiches feel a bit like corporate catering to me, personally.

Advice requested ...

Thoughts?
party pies and sausage rolls

I matched with this chick on a dating app, and I don’t think she remembers that we actually hooked up several years ago, classic, wonder if I should tell her.
I once matched with a girl and went on 2 dates with her before she told me we lived in the same building for 2 years and we'd talked before 😂

Bit of charcuterie never goes astray (don't think it makes you 'posh', per se). Some cold meats (prosciutto, salami, ham etc), some cheeses (think brie and maybe some sharper cheddar or something), crackers and some fruit. Then yeah, maybe add something sweet and something hot (like the spring rolls, or some spinach pastries).

Sandwiches feel a bit like corporate catering to me, personally.

Thanks all for the suggestions re my afternoon tea on Sunday.

I've pretty much bought the ingredients to run with Scythe94's suggestions.

Shall I report back as to the success or otherwise of the event?

Thanks all for the suggestions re my afternoon tea on Sunday.

I've pretty much bought the ingredients to run with Scythe94's suggestions.

Shall I report back as to the success or otherwise of the event?
Absolutely – hope it goes well!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doritos and dips is perfect afternoon tea imo.
I just go to the bakery and buy a bunch of whatever and chuck it on a plate.
You could do worse.

For me it’s about the timing. If you’ve decided it’s late enough in the day for beers to play a role, than charcuterie board, antipasto perfect. Lots of salt.

If it’s more a tea thing then find a nice bakery with nice sweet things and chop them into bits so everyone gets a go at everything. Lux bite good for this if you want to go trendy. I used to use them for deserts if I was entertaining because I love cooking, but don’t really bake or do sweets at all.

TBH I shouldn't be answering a question about social occasions, I don't really have friends and the people I spend time with are degenerates who I don't invite over because they're likely to steal something.

TBH I shouldn't be answering a question about social occasions, I don't really have friends and the people I spend time with are degenerates who I don't invite over because they're likely to steal something.
Me neither.

I like to cook but it’s this household alone. Anything else would scare me to death. My entertaining advice comes for the once a year dinner where my partners brother and wife come over as a payback for them asking us over. Any other people I get together with are interstate so I see them when they float through as visitors, and they seem happy enough to just have me recommend a good bar for a hook up.

I’ve got some real social anxiety about entertaining

You could do worse.

For me it’s about the timing. If you’ve decided it’s late enough in the day for beers to play a role, than charcuterie board, antipasto perfect. Lots of salt.

If it’s more a tea thing then find a nice bakery with nice sweet things and chop them into bits so everyone gets a go at everything. Lux bite good for this if you want to go trendy. I used to use them for deserts if I was entertaining because I love cooking, but don’t really bake or do sweets at all.
If it's in the afternoon it's beer.

The morning bloody marys

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

If it's in the afternoon it's beer.

The morning bloody marys

It's in the afternoon. I've got beer (normal + alcohol free), wine, ginger beer, champagne, prosecco, mineral water, fruit juice at the ready.

Unfortunately one of the invitees has just pulled out. Issues with her baby.

And then there were 7 ...

There is a possibility that another couple will come. Hope so.

Thanks again all*.

*exception/s apply!

Last edited:
Fancy hanks bbq at Welcome to Thornbury

Chicken and spice salsa absolutely fantastic
0b6095470d5020e4668526ee9c6c311c.jpg

The afternoon tea went very well. I also served spring rolls, which were very popular.

In the end my cakes weren't required as my guests brought such items.

Drinks were wine, water and tea.

A good time was had by all.

Attachments

• 1716111171565.png
    1716111171565.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
The afternoon tea went very well. I also served spring rolls, which were very popular.

In the end my cakes weren't required as my guests brought such items.

Drinks were wine, water and tea.

A good time was had by all.
Looks really good North. I’ll put my hand up as a fill-in guest for your next effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back