Game Day Round 6 v Richmond, @ MCG ANZAC Eve 24 April

Remove this Banner Ad

GameDay! Some big ins this week with Gawn and Lever back. Hopefully settles the defence and gives some stronger leadership this week.

Last week was piss poor all round so will need everyone lifting. Team below:

Team-Selection-Insta-Scroll-_02 (1).jpeg

Also this year's ANZAC kit honours Bluey Truscott, story:

I hope you do honour his legacy , and the many others that gave their life . Lest We Forget !

Impressed with Goodwin that he dropped McDonald again. Hopefully Petty forward and Gawn spending a lot of time resting down back. Presumably Schache is the late change if Gawn doesn’t get up.

Now for a potentially unpopular opinion: I don’t buy too much into the Anzac Day symbolism. It’s nice they light the flame and sing both anthems, but the rest all feels a bit parochial. The guernsey leaves a sour taste in the mouth personally, especially given fans can buy them and not with 100% proceeds going to charity. War isn’t glorious. Bluey Truscott was an unbelievably brave man, but I bet he wished he could have just played footy rather than having to fight. Same with all of those brave men who went to war and never played VFL again. A simple nod to them on the jumper would be enough, like we used to do, instead of a plane flying through the stars.

Impressed with Goodwin that he dropped McDonald again. Hopefully Petty forward and Gawn spending a lot of time resting down back. Presumably Schache is the late change if Gawn doesn’t get up.

Now for a potentially unpopular opinion: I don’t buy too much into the Anzac Day symbolism. It’s nice they light the flame and sing both anthems, but the rest all feels a bit parochial. The guernsey leaves a sour taste in the mouth personally, especially given fans can buy them and not with 100% proceeds going to charity. War isn’t glorious. Bluey Truscott was an unbelievably brave man, but I bet he wished he could have just played footy rather than having to fight. Same with all of those brave men who went to war and never played VFL again. A simple nod to them on the jumper would be enough, like we used to do, instead of a plane flying through the stars.
I share the cynicism about turning it into a merch opportunity. If it was all to support a veterans charity or something sure, but otherwise feels kinda opportunistic.

I share the cynicism about turning it into a merch opportunity. If it was all to support a veterans charity or something sure, but otherwise feels kinda opportunistic.
Absolutely.

One thing I'm glad about – there's seemingly been less cringey war analogies in the lead-up to and commentary of ANZAC round games over the past few years.

There was nothing worse than the tripe some journos and commentators (even players on the odd occasion) would lead with, i.e. 'going to battle', 'supporting your brothers', 'in the trenches', etc.

It's a game of football. By all means, pay your respects, but similarities between the two don't exist.

Petty trained with the forwards yesterday apparently so reckon that's a high chance. I'd be more surprised if Gawn plays than if he doesn't, reckon we'll see the Shaq Attack in for his first game with Laurie as sub.

Absolutely.

One thing I'm glad about – there's seemingly been less cringey war analogies in the lead-up to and commentary of ANZAC round games over the past few years.

There was nothing worse than the tripe some journos and commentators (even players on the odd occasion) would lead with, i.e. 'going to battle', 'supporting your brothers', 'in the trenches', etc.

It's a game of football. By all means, pay your respects, but similarities between the two don't exist.
Absolute hate that. Nick Maxwell dropped the ‘we went to war today’ line after the drawn GF. It was so out of context and beyond pathetic he should have apologised.

There’s no trenches, war or battles.

Stop the goddam overcooking of the occasion with ridiculous footballing comparisons. It’s absolutely nothing like it. Respect them, pay tributes, and if you’re going to make money from it then cover your costs but donate the profit to veterans in need.

Hoping for a better showing than we saw against Essendon, Richmond are pretty shite, well coached but shite.

JVR BOG with 6.

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF by The Taboo Group

We're gonna win and win BIG
I'd love to believe this, but time and time again we play down to rubbish opposition.

I'd almost rather Richmond coming into this game with a bit of form, but in reality, they look bottom-six standard at the moment (at times, worse).

Undermanned, poor side coming off a bad loss, with a game style that tends to make our players nervy, and we have a few guys coming back from injury – I've seen this script before lol.

That being said, still think we win, but not expecting the gratification of a drubbing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

* that I love cringe war s**t.
Dig a trench around the G and put these campaigners in facepaint. Blow s**t out of cannons. I’m going to scream “FREEEEDDDOOOMMM!!!!” after every goal and salute to the stars whenever there’s a htb.

* yeah! War!!!!!!! Whoop whooop!!!!

I'd love to believe this, but time and time again we play down to rubbish opposition.

I'd almost rather Richmond coming into this game with a bit of form, but in reality, they look bottom-six standard at the moment (at times, worse).

Undermanned, poor side coming off a bad loss, with a game style that tends to make our players nervy, and we have a few guys coming back from injury – I've seen this script before lol.

That being said, still think we win, but not expecting the gratification of a drubbing.
I looked Goody in the eyes out the back of AAMI park the other day and told him we had to do it for the diggers.

I looked Goody in the eyes out the back of AAMI park the other day and told him we had to do it for the diggers.
Imagine Goody as a general in the war…

“We have to respect the war.”

Telecommunications get cut: “we’re still working on our connection.”

When war crimes occur: “it just wasn’t us out there…”

Christian Salem steps on a land mine: “he’s going to be off legs for the next few weeks.”

When Australia gets colonised: “there’s plenty of learnings to come out of this.”

Christian Salem steps on a land mine: “he’s going to be off legs for the next few weeks.”

When Australia gets colonised: “there’s plenty of learnings to come out of this.”
Hahaha, ‘off *en legs because you’ve stepped on a bomb’

"we know that they're a strong team in the contest"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back