Play Nice 2022 AFL/AFLW Crowds/TV Ratings/Stream thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You asked for it*, so here is the list of how good each team's highest crowd against every other team is.

*You almost certainly did not ask for it

i.e.
  • if you read down the column for Adelaide you can see that West Coast has the best highest crowd against them (number 1), followed by Richmond (no 2), then Collingwood etc.

• if you read across the rows you can see how each team ranks against every other team, including their average position at the end (the lower the number the better)

View attachment 1483729

You know it's a good table/graph when you have to include a lot of explanation :rolleyes:

After a good look at the table, what caught my intrigue was North Melbourne being No.2 for Bulldogs, and Bulldogs being No.4 for North Melbourne. Thanks to AFL Tables I looked it up.

It was Rd 22 1998 with 68,050.

Going into that round, North Melbourne were top of the ladder and Bulldogs second, both with 15 wins and only 0.3 percent separating them. They were two games clear of Sydney in third spot. Bulldogs lead at every break but North Melbourne won 113-108

It's a bit of a quirk that Collingwood/Carlton is the 'Big 4' matchup that is the most durable and has the biggest base line for attendances yet it has the lowest record crowd of any of those matchups:

Collingwood/Essendon - 94,825 (1995)
Collingwood/Richmond - 92,436 (1977)
Carlton/Essendon - 91,571 (2000)
Richmond/Essendon - 90,564 (1982)
Richmond/Carlton - 90,151 (2018)
Collingwood/Carlton - 88,181 (2011)

In addition Collingwood has a higher record against both Melbourne (99,256 - 1958) and Hawthorn (92,935 - 1981) than against Carlton, so Carlton are only #5 on our list at the moment.

Would be great to see the head to head record fall. It is however always a big ask to get over 85k at any time.

I know it's a big ask and happens very rarely, but surely the Collingwood/Carlton record will go this weekend. The match couldn't be any more anticipated.

After a good look at the table, what caught my intrigue was North Melbourne being No.2 for Bulldogs, and Bulldogs being No.4 for North Melbourne. Thanks to AFL Tables I looked it up.

It was Rd 22 1998 with 68,050.

Going into that round, North Melbourne were top of the ladder and Bulldogs second, both with 15 wins and only 0.3 percent separating them. They were two games clear of Sydney in third spot. Bulldogs lead at every break but North Melbourne won 113-108

That round is still the biggest round in history by average.

I know it's a big ask and happens very rarely, but surely the Collingwood/Carlton record will go this weekend. The match couldn't be any more anticipated.
It's the reserved members not showing up that will drop it below 90k and there's not alot you can do about that. We've only had 1 non Anzac day game reach 90k in the last 20 years. The way memberships work these days I don't think it can be done.

It's the reserved members not showing up that will drop it below 90k and there's not alot you can do about that. We've only had 1 non Anzac day game reach 90k in the last 20 years. The way memberships work these days I don't think it can be done.

That’s the sad truth about the memberships and reserved seats.

But these crowds do happen on ANZAC Day and there’s no reason it can’t happen for another H&A game if people are sufficiently motivated to attend. Hopefully this game provides that motivation.

I understand, I think the reserved seat member turnout would be pretty high though.

Any ideas how many reserved seat memberships clubs have at the MCG?

You asked for it*, so here is the list of how good each team's highest crowd against every other team is.

*You almost certainly did not ask for it

i.e.
  • if you read down the column for Adelaide you can see that West Coast has the best highest crowd against them (number 1), followed by Richmond (no 2), then Collingwood etc.

• if you read across the rows you can see how each team ranks against every other team, including their average position at the end (the lower the number the better)

View attachment 1483729

View attachment 1483734

You know it's a good table/graph when you have to include a lot of explanation :rolleyes:
Great work. Does this include this year's attendances? I would have thought Freo's 46K against the Swans this year pushes it a few places up the Swans' highest attendance list.

Sorry to be "that guy" looking for verification of particular items.

Great work. Does this include this year's attendances? I would have thought Freo's 46K against the Swans this year pushes it a few places up the Swans' highest attendance list.

Sorry to be "that guy" looking for verification of particular items.

It wasn’t fully updated for games this year. I did update Freo’s list because I knew they had quite a few bests this year, but I don’t think I did the reverse and update where Freo stand on Sydney’s (& others e.g. Brisbane’s) list.

i.e. Sydney ranking 4th best for Freo is accurate but Freo only being 15th best for Sydney is not. They should be 10th.

No need to apologise for finding an error!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The debacle is finally over. Good riddance.

Yeah it was a tough week for our club and tough year. I’m glad we got a few to tonight’s game. Just goes to show we have bloody resilient supporters.

I just hope round 1 next year when we will probably be fixtured with Norf Melbourne, our team turns up on the field and sets the tone for a big year. The crowds will come back then!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back