List Mgmt. 2022 AFL Draft & Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Cowan looks the most AFL ready in terms of his physique, but he plays in one of the most loaded parts of the ground for us at half back. He’s going to start behind Doc, Saad, Williams, Newman and Boyd. That’s a good problem to have and shows the depth in this part of the list.

Hollands I can see breaking in to the side as Acres is probably the only player locked in for a wing role. I still expect one of Cottrell, LOB or maybe even Ed to start on the wing opposite Acres for round 1 but could see Hollands working his way into the team as the season progresses.

Binns and Lemmey are likely to spend the year developing in the 2s, which will be good for them, unlike other previous draftees who were thrown into the seniors due in part to the list not being good enough.
Ed won't get a game let alone round 1

Sent from my moto e(7) using Tapatalk

In April...

The 199cm talent has drawn comparisons to St Kilda champion Nick Riewoldt for his blonde mop, contested marking ability and leading patterns, as he contends for top pick favouritism.

Adding to that...

Adding a degree of physicality to his game would go a long way in helping him successfully make the transition to AFL football.

My belief, can run, can kick, knows the game, but needs to build up strength (upper body still seems light, but he is only 18), and with good mentoring, development, and attitude, he will make it...
April was a long time ago and Nick Reiwolt is a hell of a long way away. Hope he makes it but, Jack Watts is tall, thin, has blonde hair, great skills even South Australian! How about we let Lemmey do Lemmey without the weight of expectations. Who knows, maybe that’s why he “lacks motivation”, lofty expectations too early.

My read of the mic'd up session was that:

1. Hollands was the clear choice at first pick following other team's selections - we will never know if anyone was preferred ahead of him but dint get the chance to get them - I think Club ''needs' was #1 priority here

2. Voss and Austin were really happy to land Cowen at the second pick ( I think the comment was cant believe he lasted for us) and the pick#2 swap with Collingwood was done in order to secure him and was subject (of course) to availability - definitely, a strategy that had been organised between Collingwood and Carlton prior to the night - clearly Cowen highly rated - I think best player available was in play here
1. I think Hollands meets both criteria - definitely meets the team’s need for more run, and also happens to be ranked the 11th best player (by Twomey) based on what he’s produced and projects.

2. Agree with Cowan who’s been ranked very highly - definitely the “can’t believe he lasted to our pick” selection, an excellent pickup

Pretty sure Hewett was before pick 15, the surprise for them - at least from my perspective - was going for Barnett that early, or at all.

Yes, he was seen in that 15-30 range, but he's going to necessitate a centre bounce system change if he's to ruck for them.

You mean like every different ruckmen in the league having different traits?

April was a long time ago and Nick Reiwolt is a hell of a long way away. Hope he makes it but, Jack Watts is tall, thin, has blonde hair, great skills even South Australian! How about we let Lemmey do Lemmey without the weight of expectations. Who knows, maybe that’s why he “lacks motivation”, lofty expectations too early.
Yup happy to give Lemmy 2 or 3 seasons at least, before he commands a a regular spot.
TDK took at that long if not longer, and they’re about the same physique types start of careers , both about 202 cm beanpoles.

be genuinely appreciated if we could somehow avoid the almost inevitable "back stress fractures" these wiry, flexiglass beanpoles so often cop .... gracias. ....

be genuinely appreciated if we could somehow avoid the almost inevitable "back stress fractures" these wiry, flexiglass beanpoles so often cop .... gracias. ....

frustrating - but inevitable is probably more correct than not.

He is not a forward

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Maybe not but he is a good grab, backs himself to kick goals, and spots up teammates.
He is playing better forward than half of our forwards.
Funny how often Cotts gets criticised but he keeps getting it done.
I have a lot of faith that he’ll play his role well wherever he’s put.

We genuinely wanted to draft 4 players and it seems we identified the 4 we wanted.
We knew we wouldn’t have drafted all 4 without another pick in the 2nd round.
Once Cowan and Binns were available at around 30, we knew they both wouldn’t last much longer and the Collingwood trigger was activated. The icing was Lemmey still there at our next pick.
As Austin said ‘Gold’. Let’s just now see if we made the correct calls.

1. I think Hollands meets both criteria - definitely meets the team’s need for more run, and also happens to be ranked the 11th best player (by Twomey) based on what he’s produced and projects.

2. Agree with Cowan who’s been ranked very highly - definitely the “can’t believe he lasted to our pick” selection, an excellent pickup
Surely Busslinger pips him as 'best available' when you consider the difference in output between midfielders and KPPs? I tend to think we played the draft as if we were still trading and we want/need them to play next season, with Lemmey as a belated afterthought. We also thought we needed to trade next year's second round pick to do it, which leaves us a bit skint for next year. I know about all this 'premiership window' stuff but I personally prefer a longer term strategy rather than the 'eggs in one basket' approach.

Surely Busslinger pips him as 'best available' when you consider the difference in output between midfielders and KPPs? I tend to think we played the draft as if we were still trading and we want/need them to play next season, with Lemmey as a belated afterthought. We also thought we needed to trade next year's second round pick to do it, which leaves us a bit skint for next year. I know about all this 'premiership window' stuff but I personally prefer a longer term strategy rather than the 'eggs in one basket' approach.
The Cowan pick goes against this abit too. Hollands and Busslinger is a flip of the coin, Busslinger over Hollands certainly isn’t an obvious choice on ability.

They love him, I'm told he impressed many at training on his first proper day too - explosive and endurance running 🏃🏻‍♂️
sounds good !!
Carlton group trained hard this year..Voss left no stone unturned
Our stats signify we were one of the hardest working groups in the comp in 2022...we did not get reward for effort,understanably some confidence might have been missing which as a fan can understand

with these new elite runner drafts...we wont have the issues getting them a fitness base and running out matches.....Dow has been a mule trying to figure him out [the ferrari that wont perform]..

HBF/WING/MID FIELD...are likely areas of usage going forward.......the engine room

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup happy to give Lemmy 2 or 3 seasons at least, before he commands a a regular spot.
TDK took at that long if not longer, and they’re about the same physique types start of careers , both about 202 cm beanpoles.
best he be compared to Harry who took 3 or 4 years to start producing - year 5 was the breakout.

Attachments

• 1670212958169.png
    1670212958169.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 84
Hey does anyone know if we have positions to fill in the preseason supplemental selection period?

It seems that we have more players that have retired/delisted than we have brought in via the draft / rookie selection etc?

Thanks

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree with you, and there's no rush 3 to 4 years would be more accurate, then the breakout season, although I've a gut feel that Lemmy's footy IQ & forward craft are special .

For these lengthy kids it comes when they start believing they’re the most dominant force on the ground. As soon as Harry realised no one could stop him if he held his ground and jumped at the ball with his hands extended he became a star. The talent was there from day one.

Of course putting on size and strength helps with this belief and it is easier with pre seasons under the belt.

Lemmey is bigger than McKay at the same age with far better endurance so may be ready earlier. The bonus with Lemmey is we don’t need him to come on quickly like we did with the 2015 crop.

Are we even casting the net? I haven’t seen anything anywhere. I would have thought there would be someone out there that’s worth a shot. Thoughts?
I think the last few years of covid and Footy department cuts make it a lot harder if there aren't the players in your NGA.
Not sure it's the best allocation of resources.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back