List Mgmt. 2022 AFL Draft & Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we even casting the net? I haven’t seen anything anywhere. I would have thought there would be someone out there that’s worth a shot. Thoughts?

I'm sure we're looking, but it's not something that is generally talked about in the media until it's either happened or is close to happening.

I’m loving that whether some of our draftees make it or not, we are building a culture of hard workers. We keep hearing about lifting our standards. Being good at running in the midfield won’t cut it for Voss (unless you are Cripps whose other strengths make up for it); he wants elite runners who will bust a gut, on the track and during games. Was stocker not up to it, effort wise, on the track, as has been suggested? You don’t just fluke being a really good endurance runner, it obviously requires you to work your butt off!

Walsh, LOB, E Curnow, C Curnow, Cottrell, Hollands, Binns are all endurance beasts.

For these lengthy kids it comes when they start believing they’re the most dominant force on the ground. As soon as Harry realised no one could stop him if he held his ground and jumped at the ball with his hands extended he became a star. The talent was there from day one.

Of course putting on size and strength helps with this belief and it is easier with pre seasons under the belt.

Lemmey is bigger than McKay at the same age with far better endurance so may be ready earlier. The bonus with Lemmey is we don’t need him to come on quickly like we did with the 2015 crop.
Yep, Lemmey is virtually a year older then Harry when he got to the club so physically he could easily be ready earlier

Been watching some whole U/18 games in between parenting duties and work.

Boy some of these kids were raw this year.

And the highlight guys haven't been picking the best moments, Binns 3rd quarter long bomb to set up Konstanty's goal in the Metro Country game was excellent.

Hollands stealing the ball in traffic, giving it off, running to receive and then driving it long to Cadman's advantage didn't get a look in either

Then there was the Blues, who had been linked to Oliver Hollands ahead of the draft and selected the hard-running midfielder at No.11. Melbourne had also explored interest in that pick and was able to throw up pick 13 and other picks going in and out, but Carlton wasn't going to risk shifting back. If Hollands had been unavailable at that point, the Blues might have looked to split the selection, with Ed Allan, Lachie Cowan and Jacob Konstanty others in their mix deeper in the group.

Stockers endurance does not suit the modern game.

That's my gut feel anyhow.

I think there may be some truth to some off field stuff regarding him being a different cat etc.

Shame, he's a good kid.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stockers endurance does not suit the modern game.

That's my gut feel anyhow.

I think there may be some truth to some off field stuff regarding him being a different cat etc.

Shame, he's a good kid.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Stockers endurance has always been a problem. It was known at the time of drafting. I spoke to an ex recruiter who couldn’t understand Carlton’s strong interest in him. Basically said ‘he couldn’t run’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Stockers endurance has always been a problem. It was known at the time of drafting. I spoke to an ex recruiter who couldn’t understand Carlton’s strong interest in him. Basically said ‘he couldn’t run’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I can see the ideology behind the selection. We wanted a hard nut on the inside who would protect Cripps and do a lot of the mug work that many mids refuse to do. From that perspective Stocker had the tools. But the tools that he was missing- which are glaringly obvious now and may have been back then to high performance scouts -:have until this time (at least) prevented him from maximizing those skills in any meaningful manner.

In baseball language it's like drafting a 3 tool talent with the misguided belief you can develop the other 2 tools to a sufficient level.

I can see the ideology behind the selection. We wanted a hard nut on the inside who would protect Cripps and do a lot of the mug work that many mids refuse to do. From that perspective Stocker had the tools. But the tools that he was missing- which are glaringly obvious now and may have been back then to high performance scouts -:have until this time (at least) prevented him from maximizing those skills in any meaningful manner.

In baseball language it's like drafting a 3 tool talent with the misguided belief you can develop the other 2 tools to a sufficient level.

I don't think Stocker ever had the tools, to be honest.

He's a 183cm midfielder who isn't quick and can't run on the outside. To be successful with that profile in a league of big-bodied inside midfielders you need to either be a phenomenal ballwinner, or be able to play another role.

Stocker isn't that ballwinner and wasn't good enough as a defender. In particular, he was bad in the air and only solid defending ground balls. Ok at disposal coming out of defence, but really, he's shown himself to be a backup option as a small/running defender and that's it.

in another time and place I could have seen a team use him as a defensive midfielder/tagger. In particular, he's got a hard edge that suits that type of role, and is good enough defensively that if a Dusty/Dangerfield type takes him to full forward he can stay rather than having to switch out, which is pretty useful. However, he never quite looked quick enough off the mark around stoppages and he didn't really stick tackles the way you would hope... (albeit in only 4 interrupted years). Most teams don't play a tagger now, pretty much for that reason (if Stocker is the guy, you are better playing another ball winner yourself and trying to break even)l)

To be honest, I suspect a lot of the rumours flying around about his attitude etc reflect more on the club leaking that info as a way of covering for what was a high profile draft bust. 'Oh, we didn't screw up the pick and trade away a top 3 selection for a bust... it's (wink wink) because of other reasons...'. Probably also worth noting how horrendously we screwed up our guys while in the COVID bubble (see what happened to Dow, LOB, SPS, Kennedy, and other young midfielders who weren't necessarily first team walk-ups... all regressed heavily)

In the end, no one picked up Stocker because the market for an undersized back pocket/tagger is pretty niche and ultimately he was found to be be below the standard at AFL level (which is the case for many players, and not a knock on him personally). I find all the speculation about his personality, work ethic or whatever a bit disingenuous. I think we all loved his effort and intensity, and had he had Patrick Cripps' size and Sam Walsh's running ability then it would have worked out differently and his personality and work ethic wouldn't have mattered imo.

(edit: I've just realised this is quite a big bump... not sure why but this appeared on my front page. Oh well)

I don't think Stocker ever had the tools, to be honest.

He's a 183cm midfielder who isn't quick and can't run on the outside. To be successful with that profile in a league of big-bodied inside midfielders you need to either be a phenomenal ballwinner, or be able to play another role.

Stocker isn't that ballwinner and wasn't good enough as a defender. In particular, he was bad in the air and only solid defending ground balls. Ok at disposal coming out of defence, but really, he's shown himself to be a backup option as a small/running defender and that's it.

in another time and place I could have seen a team use him as a defensive midfielder/tagger. In particular, he's got a hard edge that suits that type of role, and is good enough defensively that if a Dusty/Dangerfield type takes him to full forward he can stay rather than having to switch out, which is pretty useful. However, he never quite looked quick enough off the mark around stoppages and he didn't really stick tackles the way you would hope... (albeit in only 4 interrupted years). Most teams don't play a tagger now, pretty much for that reason (if Stocker is the guy, you are better playing another ball winner yourself and trying to break even)l)

To be honest, I suspect a lot of the rumours flying around about his attitude etc reflect more on the club leaking that info as a way of covering for what was a high profile draft bust. 'Oh, we didn't screw up the pick and trade away a top 3 selection for a bust... it's (wink wink) because of other reasons...'. Probably also worth noting how horrendously we screwed up our guys while in the COVID bubble (see what happened to Dow, LOB, SPS, Kennedy, and other young midfielders who weren't necessarily first team walk-ups... all regressed heavily)

In the end, no one picked up Stocker because the market for an undersized back pocket/tagger is pretty niche and ultimately he was found to be be below the standard at AFL level (which is the case for many players, and not a knock on him personally). I find all the speculation about his personality, work ethic or whatever a bit disingenuous. I think we all loved his effort and intensity, and had he had Patrick Cripps' size and Sam Walsh's running ability then it would have worked out differently and his personality and work ethic wouldn't have mattered imo.

(edit: I've just realised this is quite a big bump... not sure why but this appeared on my front page. Oh well)
as long as your negativity quota isn't affected, all good 👍

This would make sense if the same rumours hadn't started since (or prior to) the very beginning of the bubble and prior to his 17-game season in 2021.

Good post though

Have a fab break ferris. Expect the jokes to be top shelf in 2023, with the time off to work on them. :p

Didn't bother coming up with any top-shelf jokes...

... I wouldn't have been able to reach them anyway...

Didn't bother coming up with any top-shelf jokes...

... I wouldn't have been able to reach them anyway...
Welcome back. Hope you had a referrising time off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back