Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

80K? If we are that much trouble cap wise (we aren't, nor are we flushed with cash as some would have you believe) then we have bigger problems
It’s not a huge amount, but it’s still saved money.
And there is the flexibility issue, not only on the 1 year contract vs 2. If we wanted to take that 3rd pick in the ND instead of the RD, we would have kept Cottrell on the Rookie List, there was no other reason to elevate him.
Now we have more flexibility for balancing our list at the end of next year.

on schoenmaker, there was some very unpleasant stuff rumoured about him on the draft board, well beyond the getting caught drinking that lead to a 10 week ban, publicised pre-draft.

I suspect that that information, plus the drinking and potentially his interviews lead to him dropping well below his talent level.

if any is true saints are welcome to him and good luck to them
SOS didn't sound that excited about him when interviewed. Suggested he's got some work to do despite his great traits. They obviously rated him enough to take him but didn't get the sense they thought they got a bargain.

I think the biggest issue with Schonmaker is that his attributes don't really suit his position. Great kick but he is to big and slow to be a wing or running half back at AFL level. So he needs to be a KPD or 3rd tall but his defensive work and even his intercepting isn't great. So he needs to work massively on that to make it. Saints can't pick him in the 22 just to take kick outs.

And there is the flexibility issue, not only on the 1 year contract vs 2. If we wanted to take that 3rd pick in the ND instead of the RD, we would have kept Cottrell on the Rookie List, there was no other reason to elevate him.

It's important. Cook won't let them over spend if not needed

They have done a great job bringing the SC back under control. Every dollar counts

Live from 2.55PM:-

2023 Rookie Draft Order

Round one

1) West Coast Eagles
2) North Melbourne
3) Hawthorn
4) Gold Coast Suns
5) Fremantle
6) Richmond
7) Geelong Cats
8) Essendon
9) Adelaide
10) Western Bulldogs
11) Sydney Swans
12) St Kilda
13) Melbourne
14) Port Adelaide
15) GWS Giants
16) Carlton
17) Collingwood

Round two
18) North Melbourne
19) Hawthorn
20) Gold Coast
21) Fremantle
22) Adelaide
23) Western Bulldogs
24) Melbourne
25) Collingwood

Round three
26) Gold Coast
27) Western Bulldogs
28) Melbourne
29) Collingwood

Round four
30) Gold Coast

Round five
31) Gold Coast

https://www.afl.com.au/draft?utm_source=aflcomau&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=articlewidget

Agreed. Surely the two years is the key driver

Absolutely it is.

We're going to be struggling to find players to cut in the next 12 to 24 months. Look at our out of contract players next year, almost every single one you'd expect us to want to re-sign.

We'll take a flyer today on a massive upside player and if they show something then they'll be retained as a rookie. But there's no room in our list for potential list cloggers otherwise we'd end up cutting loose a year early

I think it's a smart decision.

Just listening to Austin interview.

Adamant that Wilson has been picked as a midfielder with speed and a point of difference

With the way the game has transformed positionally even if he plays half back he's more of a midfielder than a genuine defender. They may see him as that line breaking quarterbsck in the future. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Absolutely it is.

We're going to be struggling to find players to cut in the next 12 to 24 months. Look at our out of contract players next year, almost every single one you'd expect us to want to re-sign.

We'll take a flyer today on a massive upsize player and if they show something then they'll be retained as a rookie. But there's no room in our list for potential list cloggers otherwise we'd end up cutting loose a year early

I think it's a smart decision.

Seems fairly simple

If the club believes we can get the player we want, as a rookie, then why draft them in the ND? Shorter contract and saved money. Seems logical to me

Live from 2.55PM:-

2023 Rookie Draft Order

Round one
1) West Coast Eagles
2) North Melbourne
3) Hawthorn
4) Gold Coast Suns
5) Fremantle
6) Richmond
7) Geelong Cats
8) Essendon
9) Adelaide
10) Western Bulldogs
11) Sydney Swans
12) St Kilda
13) Melbourne
14) Port Adelaide
15) GWS Giants
16) Carlton
17) Collingwood

Round two
18) North Melbourne
19) Hawthorn
20) Gold Coast
21) Fremantle
22) Adelaide
23) Western Bulldogs
24) Melbourne
25) Collingwood

Round three
26) Gold Coast
27) Western Bulldogs
28) Melbourne
29) Collingwood

Round four
30) Gold Coast

Round five
31) Gold Coast

AFL Draft - AFL.com.au

Pick 16 as a 'live pick' will come in a fair way after some clubs re-draft senior listed players, and others pass.

Seems fairly simple

If the club believes we can get the player we want as a rookie then why draft them? Shorter contract and saved money. Seems logical to me
Think it has much more to do with list management than that. We got the two kids we really wanted and as has been said everywhere - can throw a blanket over the draft field. There's probably a dozen kids we "like" and if we can get any of them a one year deal will give us a closer look without impacting future list decisions.

Cats are stuffed. Lost Ratugolea and had zero trade targets let alone acquisitions. One midfielder of note is on his last legs. FF hitting 36. Go to the draft and try to show how smart they are drafting 4 mature aged players.

They're on the fast track to wooden-spoonsville in the next few years. Talk of premierships or finals even just farcical.
Given Hawkins just had a 2.5 goal a game season, not sure that's a noteworthy claim. Their forward line is one of the best in the league on paper.

Midfield you do have something of a point, but they're more setup to shotgun it from one end to the other these days, and they've been drafting to replenish it.

Stevens is mature bodied, not mature age, and two of the others are 20 and 21 respectively. Mannagh aside these were picks in the 4th and 5th rounds.

After using 32 on Binns, 30 on Cowan, 27 on Motlop, 37 on Durdin and 30 on TDK it's nice to have some confidence that our recruiters actually know what they're doing with picks around this mark. They've obviously got a good criteria for what they're looking for to differentiate those mid tier players in the draft.

They've got to be given the benefit of the doubt that they see something in Billy / Ashton that the others didn't rate.

Moir looks well worth the punt to me. Got some real weapons with that kicking ability. Far from a sure thing but it's a mid range pick in a shallow draft. Obviously backing him in to be a lot better after his hip issues clear up.

And it sounds like the short time Wilson was played as a mid has really caught their attention and they're banking on the fact that the other clubs were only looking at him as a back flank. Seems like a solid pick.
Quoting this because it's outlandish how much you're locking in players who aside from TDK - a SOS/Agresta pick - haven't barely played more than 70 AFL games between the 4 of them. Motlop's got star quality, but I'm not sure it's as a small forward despite his goal kicking abilities.

We've just recruited two more forwards this off-season - arguably three - so I think it's pretty safe to say one of Motlop and Durdin are going out of the forward group despite the reasons they were originally targetted by our talent ID.

I really wanted us to call out Cooper Simpson’s name, but I admit that I have not seen him play and my liking was based on all the write ups of him on this board. I trust that Austin and Co. have a much deeper knowledge of the prospects and would have watched many game of both, especially that they both play for Dandenong. I guess the appeal of Wilson over Simpson is that he capable of playing midfield and defense as opposed to midfield only. I would love to know how they compare against each other in other aspects, eg. pace, acceleration, burst, kick penetration, disposal efficiency, endurance, etc.
Fair points, but Cooper could also happily play small or general/high-half forward.
he's got a good highlights package but looks like he'll need to thicken up through the body, legs and hips.

I don't expect to see much of him outside the VFL in 2024, at least not as a mid.
Not as an inside mid, no.
No good reason except for the salary cap and list management flexibility…
Tell me Schoenmaker isn't worth a 2 year punt... probably would have seen enough in that space of time to send S.Durdin off at the end of this year. Our KPD stocks are depressing.

Post draft coverage can make my head spin.

Harry De Mattia's a fine prospect, but Pendles like?
The original quotes are likening the way he presents himself and his leadership qualities as being similar due to them both having come out of elite national and international sporting programs (Basketball vs Cricket).
Quickly thinking about the draft.

Guys who are likely mids at the next level are pretty sparse.

McKercher, Sanders, Windsor (wing), Edwards, Wilson, Cleary, Graham(?)

Usually the first round is mostly mids
Duursma will be a mid, you've also missed Reid... I also think Caddy is mid-first despite how he's been used. First round also went down to our pick of Moir, so there were others.

Just a lot of tall talent floating about this year.
If I was betting my money would be on Matt Carroll.
I really hope we don't, just doesn't have enough about him, particularly his kicking ability on the run.

Think it has much more to do with list management than that. We got the two kids we really wanted and as has been said everywhere - can throw a blanket over the draft field. There's probably a dozen kids we "like" and if we can get any of them a one year deal will give us a closer look without impacting future list decisions.

So, what's the difference? :think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^. There’s a reason why they’re rookie level. Can’t be expecting a 💎.

There’s still a few about though who ranked early on. Smokies - I like what Wills brings, and I’ve mentioned Ben Hopkins. Tarkyn O’Leary I would seriously like. Patton as a big. Callinan, Dirty Sanchez. De La Rue. Carroll. Will Brown. Kid from NT. Few rucks left over. Philactides. You just never know OR the VFL players and there’s quite a few. The Suns mid fwd. Some KPP. And then there’s that 50yo Superules dude. Plenty.

SOS didn't sound that excited about him when interviewed. Suggested he's got some work to do despite his great traits. They obviously rated him enough to take him but didn't get the sense they thought they got a bargain.

I think the biggest issue with Schonmaker is that his attributes don't really suit his position. Great kick but he is to big and slow to be a wing or running half back at AFL level. So he needs to be a KPD or 3rd tall but his defensive work and even his intercepting isn't great. So he needs to work massively on that to make it. Saints can't pick him in the 22 just to take kick outs.
I get the feeling Ross probably told SOS to.pick Schoenmaker, from the stuff I read about him in the last 24 hours, he is not the type of person/character you want at your footy club..

1 player on an extra 80K for an extra year isn't going to hurt, especially if the difference is a player more likely to make it, over 1 that doesn't

Simple as that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back