List Mgmt. 2022 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm really excited about this years crop. Very tall group. Lots of talent. Much deeper SA group than this year.

Not as good as 2018, but not that far off it imo.

Which fan favourite are we going to trade out to secure a better first round pick? My money is on Houston, whose contract ends at the end of 2022. Bergman, Sinn, Jones, Burton, Byrne-Jones, Bonner...something has to give.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Which fan favourite are we going to trade out to secure a better first round pick? My money is on Houston, whose contract ends at the end of 2022. Bergman, Sinn, Jones, Burton, Byrne-Jones, Bonner...something has to give.
Well The Kern got rid of Dan's mate Pistol without so much as a "thanks for your efforts and good luck in the next phase of your career", so Houston's card is probably already marked.
"P*** that troublemaker off".

Sep 24, 2008
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
La lakers. Oakland Raiders, bunny’s
I’m looking forward to watching this group this year.

My favs are Clark, a Vic country mid built strong and a great ball winner, and Harry lemmey who’s a 198cm kf with acceleration that you have to measure in Mach rather than kilometres
I’ll once again keep a close eye on South Adelaide boys, and what coming thru in the GSFL.

Really starting to like what I see from Wheaton.

I’ll once again keep a close eye on South Adelaide boys, and what coming thru in the GSFL.

Really starting to like what I see from Wheaton.
Is Will Verrall turning 18 in 2022?

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Here's one to watch for next years draft.

260842377_932605474355132_7850536530968937623_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Here's one to watch for next years draft.

View attachment 1288178

Think a quality tall defender has to be our priority next year. Must be a good decade + since we have used an early draft pick on a key defender and it’s showing. With Mckenzie and Jonas finishing up over the next few years we need to get a year or two development into some young talent while we can.

Hope our first pick is a key defender and trade back into the second round for a midfielder.

I was expecting more talls in the very early top 10. Just Lemmey and little Hayes.

Keeler and Busslinger would be in/close to top 10 at the moment. Jefferson 1st round quality as well as a couple of rucks too.

Could potentially be a very tall first round

May 31, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Sam powel would also be on notice. Not sure what draft picks we have for next year except retained first. Did we get another 4th during the draft besides using the second from next year?

Discussion about being ruthless somewhat bemuses me, imo we are dong the port way by identifying and moving on players not on our page, and at same ti/me sending clear guidelines of what is expected.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Think a quality tall defender has to be our priority next year. Must be a good decade + since we have used an early draft pick on a key defender and it’s showing. With Mckenzie and Jonas finishing up over the next few years we need to get a year or two development into some young talent while we can.

Hope our first pick is a key defender and trade back into the second round for a midfielder.
we really don’t have to reach for a key defender at all.

We do need to add and develop someone but we can be patient and pick when the right prospect comes up

If a gun key defender is there at our early pick sure, but key defenders are often available throughout the draft (bazzo went in the late 30’s this week)

With all the quality mids and key forwards in this draft I think defenders could easily slide.

I was expecting more talls in the very early top 10. Just Lemmey and little Hayes.
It’s the quality of mids pushing them back really.

It’s why I really wanted to keep a mid draft presence in this draft. There’s going to be lots of talls available outside the top 15 picks.

Joshykins

Debutant
Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sam powel would also be on notice. Not sure what draft picks we have for next year except retained first. Did we get another 4th during the draft besides using the second from next year?

Discussion about being ruthless somewhat bemuses me, imo we are dong the port way by identifying and moving on players not on our page, and at same ti/me sending clear guidelines of what is expected.

Half of bigfooty can't decide if the team are too soft and enabling, or too ruthless and industrious

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
we really don’t have to reach for a key defender at all.

We do need to add and develop someone but we can be patient and pick when the right prospect comes up

If a gun key defender is there at our early pick sure, but key defenders are often available throughout the draft (bazzo went in the late 30’s this week)

I’m not suggesting we “reach” and spend a top 15ish pick on a talent only rated 25+ just for the sake of it but if a talented key defender is available in the first round I still think it’s our priority.

We must be the only club in the comp that hasn’t spent a first rounder or even a top 25 pick on a key defender in a decade or even longer and it shows (heck I can’t even remember the last key defender we drafted inside the top 30). We are always caught out by the big forwards and struggle against good forward lines.

If we don’t draft a good one soon, which generally you have to pay up for the best, it out does all the previous good drafting with our current crop of youngsters as we will continue to be exposed.

I would say it is generally quite rare to pickup a gun key defender any later than a second round and don’t think we should be putting all our eggs in that basket and hoping we pick the 1/10 that comes off in the later range.

I don’t think we can be patient and just keep waiting. We’ve done that for 10 years and tried late picks for defenders and none have really come off. As we loose our current setup over the next 12-24 months, if we don’t have a top talent to step up, we will again be relying on those like Pasini from the rookie draft or late picks which rarely are at the level needed to centre a backline around.

Alternatively we can just hope we pick up a FA of trade one in but we would have to pay a hefty price for a quality key defender (and I don’t mean an interceptor like Aliir).

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
I’m not suggesting we “reach” and spend a top 15ish pick on a talent only rated 25+ just for the sake of it but if a talented key defender is available in the first round I still think it’s our priority.

We must be the only club in the comp that hasn’t spent a first rounder or even a top 25 pick on a key defender in a decade or even longer and it shows (heck I can’t even remember the last key defender we drafted inside the top 30). We are always caught out by the big forwards and struggle against good forward lines.

If we don’t draft a good one soon, which generally you have to pay up for the best, it out does all the previous good drafting with our current crop of youngsters as we will continue to be exposed.

I would say it is generally quite rare to pickup a gun key defender any later than a second round and don’t think we should be putting all our eggs in that basket and hoping we pick the 1/10 that comes off in the later range.

I don’t think we can be patient and just keep waiting. We’ve done that for 10 years and tried late picks for defenders and none have really come off. As we loose our current setup over the next 12-24 months, if we don’t have a top talent to step up, we will again be relying on those like Pasini from the rookie draft or late picks which rarely are at the level needed to centre a backline around.

Alternatively we can just hope we pick up a FA of trade one in but we would have to pay a hefty price for a quality key defender (and I don’t mean an interceptor like Aliir).
You shot your own argument in the foot with your last sentence. A quality key defender IS an interceptor like Aliir. If you mean a dour lockdown defender only, thats a player you get late in a draft- not up the pointy end.

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You shot your own argument in the foot with your last sentence. A quality key defender IS an interceptor like Aliir. If you mean a dour lockdown defender only, thats a player you get late in a draft- not up the pointy end.

And as we saw multiple times during the year and his time at the Swans too, Aliir is a great interceptor but always struggles one on one against bigger opponents and this is where we always get hurt. Lockdown key defenders are just as affective and worth their weight in gold.

We have never paid up for a defender in the Weitering, May, Talia category which we need. Unless we want to just keep plucking late picks who we hope one eventually pays off, we need to pay up. However history tells us it is generally a low success rate in picking them late in the draft.

Just have to look at the AA key defenders to see they generally are also high draft picks.

2010: Frawley (12), Taylor (17)
2011: Glass (11), Reid (8)
2012: McPharlin (10), Glass (11), Richards (27)
2013: Taylor (17), Thompson (37)
2014: Talia (13), Hooker (54), Rance (18)
2015: Hurley (5), Rance (18), Gibson (Rookie)
2016: Rance (18), Talia (13), McGovern (rookie)
2017: Rance (18, Hurley (5), McGovern (roookie)
2018: Rance (18), Stewart (40), McGovern (rookie)
2019: Andrews (61), Stewart (40), McGovern (rookie)
2020: Moore (9), Andrews (61)
2021: Lever (14), May (priority selection), Aliir (44), Stewart (40).

Think that’s pretty clear that generally the best key defenders in the competition are usually first round selections.Yes a couple come later but they are very few and far between and the odds for picking the right one at pick 40+ would be very low.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back