NFL 2022 - Coaching and GM Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Colts LBs Dave Borgonzi coach could follow new Bears coach Matt Eberflus to Chicago.​

The Colts' LBs coach since 2018, it sounds like Borgonzi could be the favorite to serve as Eberflus' defensive coordinator. Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports Colts safeties coach Alan Williams could replace Eberflus in Indy, though Breer did not report the same for Borgonzi. It could still be an option of course. Borgonzi began his coaching career with Syracuse in 2006 and has been in the NFL since 2011.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Jan 27, 2022, 1:44 PM ET

Analytics taking over sport, eating away at team managers and coaches

What makes American football so great is that its a game of the world's greatest athletes playing chess on a 500 square yard board.

Analytics can not and will not ever account for the human factor of exceptional feats or bone headed plays.

It aims to take the human factor and by extension the unpredictability out of the contest.

I've always said if you don't have raw talent or hard earned experience you at best have analytics.

And if that's all you got what do I need you for? I can read a spreadsheet just fine.

Kwesi Adofo-Mensah: Analytics are about asking why in order to make better decisions

Posted by Josh Alper on January 27, 2022, 10:47 AM EST

Vikings General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah has a different background than many people who get hired for that position in the NFL.

Adofo-Mensah worked in the finance world after graduating from Princeton and eventually moved into football with the 49ers in football research and development. That area is often tied to analytics and Adofo-Mensah took on a fuller role involving scouting when he moved to the Browns as their vice president of football operations two years ago.

Analytics still came up often during Thursday’s introductory press conference and Adofo-Mensah said he knows his background is a unique one for a G.M. while adding that he sees analytics as a tool to make the best decisions. He said it is about “being thoughtful and intentional” and “asking why” things are the way that they are in order to make those decisions.

Adofo-Mensah said that process involves both “quantitative research” and “talking to people” in order to make sure that there are no “blind spots” in the decision-making process. He credited time spent studying Bill Walsh’s approach with the 49ers in helping shape his approach to putting together a football team and said he kept a picture of Walsh in his office to remind him that he hadn’t “figured out the world.”

Walsh’s approach worked wonders for the 49ers. The Vikings will be hoping for something similar with Adofo-Mensah at the helm.
Load O’ crap

Good get by Bears with Eberflus. Has done a great job everywhere he’s been.

As for analytics there’s a place for it but as an aid not the main tool. Most teams have had it for years now not new.

Agree with AC …it’s had a detrimental effect on baseball but don’t think it’ll have same level of negative impact on football

As for analytics there’s a place for it but as an aid not the main tool. Most teams have had it for years now not new.

Agree with AC …it’s had a detrimental effect on baseball but don’t think it’ll have same level of negative impact on football

And the legacy is that baseball just gets slower and slower.

And slower and more boring.

And the legacy is that baseball just gets slower and slower.

And slower and more boring.
Yeah it certainly is. Average game time increased yet again this past season to all time high to 3hrs 10m.

And it’s not like higher scores were the reason as that went down as well.

40 years ago average game time was 2:33! No wonder crowds are down

Yeah it certainly is. Average game time increased yet again this past season to all time high to 3hrs 10m.

40 years ago average game time was 2:33! No wonder crowds are down

I watched the 30 for 30 show on the 1986 Mets and one thing I noticed were how many games had starting pitchers that pitched or came close to throwing complete games.

Now we have managers looking at spreadsheets for every batter after the 4th innings to pull some one from the bullpen.

And managers will use this stat to justify their analytics (and slow down of game speed).

One way to look at it is...if the game as it is played today was its form when it was invented would it have ever taken off? 3.5 hours to get out 54 hitters (or nearly 4 minutes per batter....I used analytics for that state BTW)...not on your life.

I watched the 30 for 30 show on the 1986 Mets and one thing I noticed were how many games had starting pitchers that pitched or came close to throwing complete games.

Now we have managers looking at spreadsheets for every batter after the 4th innings to pull some one from the bullpen.
This is an example of how stupid they are (sorry off topic but a cautionary lesson for football). This past season they implemented a rule where relievers had to face at least the three batters before they were replaced so reduce amount of relief pitching. But they also increased squad size from 25 to 28. So guess what? Teams could carry more relief pitchers and there was no change in number of pitcher changes from previous year. Crazy!!

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports it is "widely believed" the Saints will promote DC Dennis Allen to replace Sean Payton.​

Rapsheet is just reiterating a report he first issued on Tuesday. Perhaps he is doing Allen's agent a favor, though it certainly makes sense. Allen has earned outside head-coaching interest, and was Payton's right-hand man for closing in on a decade. He is a widely-respected defensive mind. That's all good and well, but the Saints' biggest immediate problems are on offense. Allen could be looking at bridge coach/rebuilding duties if he gets his second shot to lead an NFL team.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Jan 27, 2022, 2:55 PM ET

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Arthur of The Tennessean reports that it's "not feasible" for the Titans to move on from Ryan Tannehill's contract this offseason.​

Releasing Tannehill would trigger a $57.4 million dead cap charge, while trading him would leave a $29 million fully guaranteed base salary to his next team. We're a little surprised to see Tannehill so squarely on the hot seat after a season that had him throwing to Nick Westbrook-Ikhine and left without Derrick Henry for months, but a three-pick playoff flop will do that to you. It will be much easier for the Titans to move on from Tannehill -- if they want to -- in the 2023 offseason.

SOURCE: The Tennessean
Jan 27, 2022, 2:19 PM ET

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports Colts safeties coach Alan Williams could be promoted to replace departed DC Matt Eberflus.​

Breer also reports that Williams is a candidate to follow Eberflus to Chicago. It appears both Williams and LBs coach Dave Borgonzi could be Windy City bound. 52-year-old Williams has been an NFL assistant since 2001, and coordinated Minnesota's defense in 2012-13.

SOURCE: Albert Breer on Twitter
Jan 27, 2022, 2:18 PM ET

Yeah pretty much a mess.

Only hire i like so far was Bears head coach thou still wish they gone offensive minded coach.
Good coach, but a negative there is nepotism.

Not a lot of excitement with any of the proposed hires. Maybe some unheralded under the radar hire like Mike McDaniel to Dolphins could turn out a masterstroke. Or Kevin O'Connell to somewhere.

Firstly, I do like Eberflus, may turn out to be a good HC, but this just reeks of more McCaskey incompetence given their family ties

Unless the GM got to pick the coach this process has been a waste of time and a joke. The two have to work together. Forcing a GM and HC marriage rarely works.

Firstly, I do like Eberflus, may turn out to be a good HC, but this just reeks of more McCaskey incompetence given their family ties

Unless the GM got to pick the coach this process has been a waste of time and a joke. The two have to work together. Forcing a GM and HC marriage rarely works.
First of all I’ve read there’s no family ties, only that his sister has McClaskey name. Regardless Poles did interview Eberflus along with Quinn and Caldwell. There’s also a link in that Poles worked with Colts GM Chris Ballard for a few years in Kansas.

Eberflus seems adaptable..after all we was hired by McDaniels before McDaniels pulled out and Reich didn’t know him but they worked well together.

Huge Bullet but still strange they went for Defensive coach. Bears are going to be as good as field is.

They really need to nail their offensive coordinator now
💯 this
The obsession in Chicago with defense is alive and well.
I thought they’d build around Fields with the best OC available… but this is stuck in the mid 80s bears. Cest la vie
🐻 ⬇️

First of all I’ve read there’s no family ties, only that his sister has McClaskey name. Regardless Poles did interview Eberflus along with Quinn and Caldwell. There’s also a link in that Poles worked with Colts GM Chris Ballard for a few years in Kansas.

Eberflus seems adaptable..after all we was hired by McDaniels before McDaniels pulled out and Reich didn’t know him but they worked well together.

This is a post I read elsewhere on January 24th

"I heard yesterday that Matt Eberflus , well, his sister is married to a McCaskey, great, I just thought people might want to know this or maybe they did and don't care"

I got it wrong, GG.exe, hes not but his sister is.

Still is some family ties ragardless, if Poles got to make the choice and interview on his own however without any McCaskey influence then im fine with the hire.

You’re just pissy you didn’t get the 10/1 payout for predicting the McCaskeys would hire him 🤓

Remove this Banner Ad

Back