Preview 2022 draft prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

For shits and giggles I put together a very early crack at a first round phantom:

1. Brisbane - Will Ashcroft
2. West Coast - George Wardlaw
3. North Melbourne - Jed Busslinger
4. Essendon - Harry Sheezel
5. Adelaide - Mattaes Phillipou
6. Hawthorn - Elijah Tsatas
7. GWS - Jhye Clark
8. Port Adelaide - Adam D’Aloia
9. Gold Coast - Harry Lemmey
10. Western Bulldogs - Elijah Hewett
11. Collingwood - Isaac Keeler
12. St Kilda - Cam McKenzie
13. Sydney - Aaron Cadman
14. Richmond - Matthew Jefferson
15. Carlton - Oliver Hollands
16. Geelong - Mitch Szybkowski
17. Fremantle - Kobe Ryan
18. Sydney - Tom Scully

Sheezel over Hewett? Interesting is that a needs thing? Or where you rate them?

On limited viewing (i know i know) Hewett looks a jet to my eye and a level above what Sheezel showed today.

Also GC taking another KPF they got about 10 on the list as it is lol.
Not sure North go Busslinger that high either.

I really hope we some how get a 2nd top 18 selection.

Anyone know whats happened with Scully? Didn't get selected for this game again.

Also being hidden from senior sanfl games despite him kicking all those bags early rounds. Typically would of seen him get a debut.

Nothing suss.

Sheezel over Hewett? Interesting is that a needs thing? Or where you rate them?

On limited viewing (i know i know) Hewett looks a jet to my eye and a level above what Sheezel showed today.

Also GC taking another KPF they got about 10 on the list as it is lol.
Not sure North go Busslinger that high either.

I really hope we some how get a 2nd top 18 selection.

Busslinger is fairly easily the best key position player in the draft this year IMO. Plus North in particular need another defensive pillar, especially an intercept marking one, to pair with McKay.

It’s a fairly natural fit in terms of player. But given they are now clear last on the ladder might be a tad too early given it would mean overlooking Wardlaw. They’d love to split pick one for two top 10 picks, but I really can’t see any team even interested in doing that this year.

Sure purely based on todays showing in isolation it’s logical to assume Hewett should be ranked higher. But Sheezel has fairly easily out performed him the rest of the year.

I’d love either. But our priorities lie elsewhere IMO.

Last edited:
IMO CFC won't be in a position to draft Jefferson unless they drop out of the top eight...

Busslinger is fairly easily the best key position player in the draft this year IMO. Plus North in particular need another defensive pillar, especially an intercept marking one, to pair with McKay.

It’s a fairly natural fit in terms of player. But given they are now clear last on the ladder might be a tad too early given it would mean overlooking Wardlaw. They’d love to split pick one for two top 10 picks, but I really can’t see any team even interested in doing that this year.

Sure purely based on todays showing in isolation it’s logical to assume Hewett should be ranked higher. But Sheezel has fairly easily out performed him the rest of the year.

I’d love either. But our priorities lie elsewhere IMO.
What about the key forward Matthew Jefferson with his 7 goal display for VIctorian Metro on Saturday against Western Australia. Certainly his stocks must have risen significantly. Any comments? I certainly would not mind if he we drafted him later this year. Goodnight & good luck.

What about the key forward Matthew Jefferson with his 7 goal display for VIctorian Metro on Saturday against Western Australia. Certainly his stocks must have risen significantly. Any comments? I certainly would not mind if he we drafted him later this year. Goodnight & good luck.
PS: I JUST CHECKED HIS STATS & MATTHEW JEFFERSON IS 194 CM TALL & ONLY WEIGHS 76 KGS. HOWEVER I AM SURE THAT WITH A COUPLE OF SOLID PRE-SEASONS UNDER HIS BELT HE WOULD BULK UP. HOWEVER ARE WE LOOKING FOR A MORE PHYSICALLY IMPOSING PRESENCE AS A KEY FORWARD ASAP? BYE.

PS: I JUST CHECKED HIS STATS & MATTHEW JEFFERSON IS 194 CM TALL & ONLY WEIGHS 76 KGS. HOWEVER I AM SURE THAT WITH A COUPLE OF SOLID PRE-SEASONS UNDER HIS BELT HE WOULD BULK UP. HOWEVER ARE WE LOOKING FOR A MORE PHYSICALLY IMPOSING PRESENCE AS A KEY FORWARD ASAP? BYE.
That would be the theory behind McStay - gives the young key forward in draft time to develop in VFL

WHY ARE YOU YELLING?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cadman with. 2.3

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He should have kicked a more but his kicking was off. Which is ironic given he is generally a much better kick for goal than Jefferson, who couldn’t miss.

I’m starting to see the Charlie Curnow comparison from PMBangers though. I reckon it’s a good one.

At least in his movement, athleticism, competitiveness and general physical build.

Good chance for him to say who first came up with the comparison 😉
Yeah I gotta admit it wasn't me, you should be thanking RookieMe Central's Michael Alvaro for this one Rusty Beam, but he doesn't have BigFooty =(

One great game and everyone is jumping on my Jefferson pick :).

October 28 2021 ;)
FIRST ROUND:
Lemmey = Big yes but unlikely we have the pick for him
Busslinger = May slide but again unlikely to have the pick for him
Jefferson = I'm a fan. Suits our game style
Scully = I'm not sold on. One style of lead and mark. Not convinced on second/third efforts and once the ball is on the ground
SECOND ROUND:
Cadman = I need to watch more of before I have an opinion. Was a defender last year?
Oliver Northam = 195cm KPF. Also a fan but Jefferson is higher
Isaac Keeler = 197cm KPF/RUC. Bit of Jared Brennan about him IMO.
Will Elliott = 200cm RUC/FWD.
OTTHER:
Nicholas McLarty = 199cm KPD. Brother of Sam
Harry Barnett = 200cm RUC/FWD.
True it is a weakness in his game.
Aaron Cadman has similar issues from the little I have watched.

However these guys are the most likely KPF to be available at our first pick with Lemmey gone top 5 the only other option would be Tom Scully who I have voiced my concerns over.

With Jefferson and Cadman IMO they have shown the can take contested marks, lead multiple times, follow up on the ground and lay defensive tackles. I would rather these types even with their accuracy issues.
I'll be your opposite.
Keeler to go mid to late 20's in the draft.
Jefferson and Cadman my favourites to go mid to late first round.

Lets see how we go and they go at the champs.

For what it's worth I still think:

Lemmey = Top 5 (I am concerned about his current form or has he been instructed to slow down to slide down the order?)
Busslinger = 3 - 10 Range
Jefferson = 8 - 18 Range
Cadman = 8 - 18 Range
Keeler = 15 - 25 Range (Others have a higher view on him)
Scully = 20 - 30 Range

I am hopeing one of Jefferson or Cadman is available at our first pick.

“My name Jeff” – Metro forward hits seventh heaven​

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPSJuly 2, 2022
Matthew-Jefferson-VM-2022-AFL-U18s.jpg

Rookie Me Central
SEVEN goals to Oakleigh Chargers tall Matthew Jefferson has helped Vic Metro to a comfortable 27-point win over Western Australia at Ikon Park today. Metro kicked four goals to one in the opening term, then weathered a comeback from the Sandgropers in the second term to pile on six goals to one in the third quarter. Five of those went to Jefferson, as Metro built enough of a lead to ensure Western Australia had little chance of the comeback. Despite cutting the deficit back to 21 points at one stage, the Sandgropers fell short and Metro recorded a 16.5 (101) to 10.14 (74) win.
It was a scrappy start to the game as both sides felt each other out and the ball pinged from end-to-end. The Metro defence was holding up with good pressure, thanks to the likes of Josh Weddle and Lewis Hayes. Through the middle, Will Ashcroft was getting his hands on the ball, and Sandringham Dragons teammate Harry Sheezel was marking everything. It was no surprise that it was Sheezel who would get Metro off to the perfect start with a long-range beauty.
The West Australian midfield was wary of Ashcroft’s ability around stoppages and gave away a high free kick allowing the Dragons to slot the major and make it two straight goals. Wanting to make a stand, Darcy Jones won a brilliant clean clearance, bursting away and having a fly on goal but it just bounced to the right of the goals for the Sandgropers’ first score. But the Dragons duo was continually involved as a perfect pass from Sheezel to lower the eyes and hit up the leading Matthew Jefferson who made it three and the lead was out to 17 points.
Western Australia was doing well out of the stoppage, with Conrad Williams finding his own space and putting it inside 50 to Koltyn Tholstrup who had a flying shot on goal but also missed to the right for a second West Australian behind. The visitors may well have had a couple on the board if it was not for the work of Hayes who was doing all the defensive things right, including a big spoil across the pack to knock it over the line. Eventually the weight of inside 50s and worked for the Sandgropers with Reuben Ginbey standing up in the tackle and getting it to Griffith Julian who slammed home the West Australian’s first major.
Both sides had their chances in the second half of the term, with Kai Windsor just touched on the line, and then both Koltyn Tholstrup and Tyrell Dewar missing for the visitors. The class of Elijah Hewett came to the fore, but the ability for Metro to take their chances was the key, as Jefferson pulled down a massive contested mark late in the term. The Oakleigh Chargers tall shanked the kick rushing to get off, but when a West Australian defender approached from behind, Jefferson received the 50m penalty and slotted his second from a much easier set shot to hand Vic Metro a 15-point lead at quarter time.
Western Australia owned the second term and realistically should have taken a big lead into half-time. They slammed home four goals to one – including the first three majors as Harry Cole took control. The tall forward slotted 2.3 from the quarter as he was the dominant forward in the term, looking unstoppable in the air. He even took a huge hanger over Hayes to announce himself. The Sandrgropers really got on top in the term, but the misses – from Cole and Hewett – stopped them from going further ahead.
One could hardly fault the talented Hewett though, who had nine inside 50s to half-time and was creative in the forward half. Against the flow, Olli Hotton kicked an important goal, but that was soon countered by a nice Hewett response and the visitors headed into half-time with a nine-point lead. Hewett was dominant with 17 disposals, five marks and six tackles to the break. Ashcroft had 14 disposals to the main brea, while the likes of Nathan Philactides was also racking up teh ball. Jed Hagan and Sam Gilbey were both among the best for the leaders, whilst the defensive pressure of both Alwyn Davey and Riley Hardeman for their respective sides were good.
Determined to make the most of the breeze, Sandringham Dragons forward Charlie Clarke dribbled towards goal but it just bounced upright and hit the post. He would later kick a goal in the term as part of a six-goal straight effort from the home team. The other five went to rampaging Jefferson show who kicked a mind-boggling five goals in the quarter. He slammed home four in the first 11 and a half minutes and capped off another one to blow the lead out to seven goals.
Luckily for the visitors, Jack Cleaver gave his side the slimmest of chances late, and the Sandgropers headed into the final term facing a 35-point deficit. One benefit for them was the fact they had the scoring end, with 16 of the 19 goals kicked down that end. It was looking good early with Chase Bourne nailing a set shot, followed by a ripping Hewett set shot from the tightest of angles on the boundary line. The margin was back to 22 points with 16 minutes left in the match.
Remarkably, Corey Tregenza-Cashell had a chance off a dubious paid mark coming off teammate Bevan’s hands, but the forward missed the 20m set shot, letting Metro off the hook. Running it down the other end, the home side made the Sandgropers pay, with Windsor paid a free kick and the Eastern Ranges talent slotting it to put it back out to a 27-point lead heading into the last 14 minutes. One more goal would most certainly ice the game, and when Western Jets’ Jaelen Pavlidis found Clarke alone inside 50, it looked to be the moment, but his next set shot flew to the far right.
Just as it looked to be going the other way, Western Australia took full toll up in an end-to-end play for Jones to produce a perfect set shot from 40m out to keep the game alive. The Sandgropers kept attacking and having chances, as the Metro defence looked to hold up strong. Then, Essendon father-son Davey was given an inch and he took a mile, putting it on the outside of his boot and slammed home a goal to ice the game. Davey would kick a second with five minutes on the clock and put the margin back out to 34 points again. Koltyn Tholstrup kicked a late consolation goal after a good mark in the goalsquare.

VIC METRO 4.1 | 5.1 | 13.4 | 16.5 (101)
WESTERN AUSTRALIA 1.4 | 5.10 | 6.11 | 10.14 (74)
GOALS:
VM:
M. Jefferson 7, H. Sheezel 2, A. Davey 2, W. Ashcroft, O. Hotton, C. Clarke, C. McKenzie, K. Windsor
WA: H. Cole 2, D. Jones 2, E. Hewett 2, G. Julian, J. Cleaver, C. Bourne, K. Tholstrup
RMC BEST:
VM:
M. Jefferson, C. Mackenzie, W. Ashcroft, A. Davey, L. Hayes, J. Weddle
WA: E. Hewett, D. Jones, R. Ginbey, J. Cleaver, H. Cole, R. Hardeman

One great game and everyone is jumping on my Jefferson pick :).

For what it's worth I still think:

Lemmey = Top 5 (I am concerned about his current form or has he been instructed to slow down to slide down the order?)
Busslinger = 3 - 10 Range
Jefferson = 8 - 18 Range
Cadman = 8 - 18 Range
Keeler = 15 - 25 Range (Others have a higher view on him)
Scully = 20 - 30 Range

I am hopeing one of Jefferson or Cadman is available at our first pick.
They will both be there at our first pick, I can't see Jefferson going in the first round, he's too lean and would need 2 or 3 pre seasons just to get up to good playing weight. Cadman I would just about take with our first pick as he is all class. Keeler would play seniors next year, he's big and strong and quick, the only problem with Keeler is his application

That is not how I interpret my use of capitalisation. Rather it is to EMPHASISE a point if not more. Bye.

It’s the general view of capitalism that it refers to yelling.
May not be what you intend to mean but it’s how everyone sees it.

KPP summary:
#6 Busslinger
#9 Cadman
#10 Jefferson
#15 Keeler
#16 Broadbent
#17 Hustwaite
#20 Lemmey
#21 Barnett

Scully, Northam, Hayes, Van Es, Etc. outside the 25 listed

My guess is this is probably the highest level opposition Jefferson has played against baring the VFL (Collingwood) game a month ago. Jefferson played well against CFC that day and is backing that performance up with a solid National champs so far. I'm not expecting him to be available with a selection in the teens...Time will tell!

Top 75 AFL draft prospects revealed and rated

Chris Cavanagh and Kevin Sheehan
2 min read
July 6, 2022 - 6:00AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Will Ashcroft
Club: Sandringham Dragons/Old Brighton VAFA
Height: 183cm
Weight: 79kg
DOB: 08/04/04
A medium midfielder who is an elite ball winner with clean hands, Ashcroft is just as good whether playing inside or outside. He’s a fine emerging leader who handles pressure well. Ashcroft has been the dominant player at underage level over the past two years and has carried that form into some stunning football at VFL level for the Brisbane Lions this year. He also captained the Australian under-18 team in its match against Collingwood’s VFL side in May and logged 24 disposals. Ashcroft’s 36 disposals (20 contested) in the opening match for Vic Metro in the under 18 national championships confirmed his dominance of underage football this year, backed up by 25 disposals in Vic Metro's second match. He is eligible as a father-son to the Lions, where his father Marcus played over 300 games.

Aaron Cadman
Club: GWV Rebels/Darley FC/Emmanuel College
Height: 194cm
Weight: 88kg
DOB: 03/03/04
A left-footed tall forward with a vice-like grip overhead, Cadman is also incredibly clean below the knees for a big man. He presents well as a target forward with his repeat leading and an aggressive approach to the ball is a feature of his game. Cadman has progressed in his development after showing potential in representing Victoria Country at Under 17s level. He was a late call up to the Australian Under 18 team after a promising start to the NAB League season with the Rebels, which has seen him average 14.4 disposals, five marks and 2.6 goals across seven matches.

Jhye Clark
Club: Geelong Falcons/Queenscliff FC
Height: 180cm
Weight: 77kg
DOB: 23/07/04
Clark is a small midfielder who attacks the ball aggressively and distributes it neatly by both hand and foot on either side of his body. He is an aggressive tackler who runs hard both ways and has performed consistently at a high level. In May, he played in the Australian under 18 team against Collingwood’s VFL side and was one of his country’s best as he gathered 19 possessions. He has been ultra consistent for the Falcons, averaging 24 disposals (12 contested) across six matches. Clark was outstanding in Victoria Country’s two-point win over South Australia in the first match of the under 18 national championships as he had 24 disposals at 79% efficiency in a best on ground performance. He backed up that match with 27 disposals and a goal in Vic Country's second match of the championships against the Allies.

Alwyn Davey jnr
Club: Oakleigh Chargers/Palmerston Magpies FC/Xavier College
Height: 181cm
Weight: 74 kg
DOB: 26/02/04
A small forward or midfielder, Davey was a late inclusion into the Australian under 18s team in May after some promising early season NAB League form with the Chargers. He then really shone for Vic Metro in a trial match in June, recording 25 disposals and five clearances. Davey possesses one-touch hands, is crafty around goals and has great pace and elusiveness. He is the son of former Essendon forward Alwyn Davey Snr and, alongside his twin brother Jayden, who is recovering from an ACL injury and is equally talented, are eligible as father-son selections for Essendon this year. Davey logged 19 disposals and kicked two goals in Vic Metro's second match of the under 18 national championships.

Jacob Konstanty
Club: Gippsland Power/Drouin FNC/Lowanna College
Height: 176cm
Weight: 70kg
DOB: 09/11/04
A small forward who was first spotted playing for Drouin Reserves early last year, Konstanty switched codes from soccer which he had played for the four years prior. He has since made rapid progress through the talent pathway, representing Vic Country at Under 17s level and kicking three goals and laying four tackles in a match against Vic Metro in Bendigo. Konstanty has great pace and evasiveness and his pressure game is a real weapon. He has continued to develop this year and produced an eye-catching performance for Vic Country in an under 18s trial match against Vic Metro in June, booting four goals from 19 disposals. Konstanty missed the opening under 18 national championships match due to health and safety protocols, but booted three goals in Vic Country's second outing against the Allies.

Oliver Hollands
Club: Murray Bushrangers/Wodonga FC/Geelong Grammar
Weight: 73kg
DOB: 16/01/04
A medium midfielder, Hollands uses his elite aerobic running ability to win the ball both on the inside and outside. He is a prolific ball winner who impressed in two games at Under 17s level for Vic Country last year. Hollands is composed with the ball in hand and makes good decisions. A boarder at Geelong Grammar, he is the brother to Gold Coast Suns’ Elijah, who was Drafted at pick 7 in 2020. Hollands is a member of the NAB AFL Academy and was prominent for Vic Country in the opening match of the national championships, having 19 disposals.

Henry Hustwaite
Club: Dandenong Stingrays/ Rosebud FC
Weight: 84kg
DOB: 20/07/04
A left-footed tall defender or midfielder who is extremely composed with the ball in hand, Hustwaite is an efficient ball user by hand and foot. He has good vision and footy nous and was one of four players who were added to the Australian under 18 team that faced Collingwood’s VFL side in May, on the back of some strong early-season form. Hustwaite performed soundly in that match and has been a consistent ball-winner for the Stingrays in the NAB League, averaging 22 disposals across his first eight matches this year. Hustwaite had 28 disposals and six clearances in Vic Country's second match of the under 18 national championships against the Allies.

Matthew Jefferson
Club: Oakleigh Chargers/Ashburton FC/Wesley College
Height: 195cm
Weight: 78kg
DOB: 08/03/04
A tall forward whose marking both on the lead and in a contested situation is his weapon, Jefferson is quick off the mark and presents exceptionally well as a target up forward. He has a strong basketball background and won a Victorian Championship at under 16 level but has dedicated himself to football over the past two years. Jefferson is a member of the NAB AFL Academy under Tarkyn Lockyer and has averaged 7.5 marks and 1.5 goals per game with the Chargers and proved a strong marking target for Victoria Metro in the opening game of the championships. He kicked seven goals in Vic Metro's second match against Western Australia, including five in a quarter.

Harry Sheezel
Club: Sandringham Dragons/Ajax FC
Weight: 74kg
DOB: 13/10/04
A medium forward, Sheezel has a special ability to make something out of nothing around the goals. He has the ability to read the cues ahead of others with his footy smarts, often crumbing and goaling in the one action. A strong one-on-one mark, he has averaged 23.7 disposals and 2.4 goals across seven NAB League matches for the Dragons this year. Sheezel has continued to progress this season being a shining light for Vic Metro with his 4 goals against the Allies superb.

Blake Drury
Club: Oakleigh Chargers/ Vermont FC/Caulfield Grammar
Height: 178cm
DOB: 11/01/04
Prolific ball winning small midfielder with that wonderful combination of speed and endurance which together with his game sense and composure has him in the centre of the action at all times. A star for Victoria Metro at Under 17s level last year has continued that level of performance into Under 18s level this year having 26 disposals including 8 inside 50s in its match against the Allies.

Mitch Szybkowski
Club: Dandenong Stingrays/Beaconsfield FC
Height: 186cm
Weight: 84kg
DOB: 09/01/04
A medium midfielder with a sharp competitive edge, Szybkowski attacks the ball aggressively and lays strong tackles on the opposition. A good ball-winner with clean hands and great vision, he creates for his team with smart ball use. Szybkowski averaged 25 disposals in his first four NAB League games for the Stingrays and is also a member of the NAB AFL Academy in 2022.Opened championships in excellent form having 25 disposals and 4 clearances to be among his team’s best in the tough win over South Australia.

Luke Teal
Club: Oakleigh Chargers/Glen Iris FC/Trinity Gr
Height: 191cm
Weight: 81kg
DOB: 25/05/04
An athletic defender who runs and creates off half back, Teal can also play on the wing. He is strong overhead and a good player in one-on-one battles. Teal missed the early part of the year after having a bout of appendicitis but returned to represent Australia’s under 18s in a match against Collingwood’s VFL side in May. However, he has since gone on to injure his collarbone in a school football match for Trinity, which is expected to sideline the Vic Metro squad member for the majority of the under-18 national championships.

Elijah Tsatas
Club: Oakleigh Chargers/Surrey Hills FC/Wesley College
Height: 188cm
Weight: 80kg
DOB: 18/11/04
A medium midfielder with elite ball winning ability and line-breaking speed, Tsatas started the NAB League season on fire as he averaged 32 disposals across the opening four rounds for the Chargers. However, a persistent foot injury required rehabilitation after the Australian under 18s match in May and it will sideline the Vic Metro member until after the under-18 national championships matches in July. Tsatas was, however, a standout player for Vic Metro at under-17s level last year.

George Wardlaw
Club: Oakleigh Chargers/St Peters FC/ St Kevin’s College
Height: 182cm
Weight: 82kg
DOB: 18/07/04
A medium midfielder who is a real competitive beast, Wardlaw is a point of difference with his attack on the ball in dispute, whether it be in the air or at ground level. He made a strong start to the NAB League season with the Chargers, averaging 20.7 disposals and 5.7 tackles from his first three games. Wardlaw was then outstanding for the Australia’s under 18s in May, being crowned his side’s best player against Collingwood’s VFL team. He recorded 18 disposals in that match, with his overhead marking and bursts from stoppages features of his game on the day. Wardlaw missed the first two games of the under 18 national championships due to injury.

Finn Emile-Brennan
Club: Dandenong Stingrays/Mt Eliza FC
Height: 181cm
Weight: 72kg
DOB: 07/05/04
A small defender who is lightly framed but very composed in defence, Emile-Brennan uses the ball very efficiently by hand and foot. He is a prolific ball winner with good speed who has averaged 23.6 disposals across his first eight games for the Stingrays in the NAB League. Emile-Brennan is part of Melbourne’s Next Generation Academy, with his mother coming from Mauritius.

Brayden George
Club: Murray Bushrangers/Wangaratta Rovers FC
Height: 185cm
Weight: 87kg
DOB: 13/01/04
A medium forward, George is a powerful player who creates and kicks goals in a similar fashion to Essendon’s Jake Stringer. He has speed to burn and has kicked multiple bags for the Bushrangers this season, including six majors against the Rebels and five against Gippsland Power. Across his first six matches for the Bushrangers, George kicked a total of 17 goals but is set to miss the championships due to injury.

Olivier Northam
Club: Geelong Falcons/St Joseph’s FC
Height: 195cm
Weight: 86kg
DOB: 28/07/04
A tall forward or ruckman, Northam possesses an impressive natural leap which allows him to compete at centre bounces against tall opponents. Mobile and agile, he follows up extremely well when the ball hits the ground and has clean hands below his knees. Northam is strong overhead around the ground and as a target up forward. He has been a consistent performer for the Falcons in the NAB League, averaging 15 disposals, 23 hit outs and a goal a game across eight matches this year. He has some similar traits to Melbourne’s 2021 Rising Star winner Luke Jackson.

Cameron Mackenzie
Club: Sandringham Dragons/Beaumaris FC/Brighton Grammar
Height: 187cm
DOB: 21/01/04
A medium midfielder or defender who has started the season in terrific form for the Dragons, Mackenzie has averaged 24.4 disposals, 3.8 marks and 3.6 tackles across five matches in the NAB League while also playing some good school football. He is part of St Kilda’s Next Generation Academy and has great speed and composure, while also being a neat disposer of the ball. Mackenzie was one of the top performers in Vic Metro’s opening match against the Allies in the under-18 national championships, having 28 disposals (12 contested). He had a further 28 disposals and five clearances in Vic Metro's second match against Western Australia.

Hugh Bond
Club: GWV Rebels/North Ballarat FC
Height: 184cm
DOB: 25/09/04
A medium midfielder who is a prolific ball winner and is as strong as an ox, Bond is a stoppage star who wins his own ball and finds space when there is little. He has an elite endurance base which helps him get from contest-to-contest and averaged 20 disposals (12 contested), 5.1 clearances and 11.1 tackles across his first seven matches for the Rebels in the NAB League this year.

Charlie Clarke
Club: Sandringham Dragons/Port Melbourne Colts FC
Weight: 75kg
DOB: 04/01/04
A medium forward, Clarke shot to prominence in the NAB League when he kicked seven goals against the Tasmania Devils in just his fourth game in the competition earlier this year. He also logged 23 disposals in a best-on-ground performance that day. Clarke continues to win plenty of the ball and has averaged 20.4 disposals across his eight matches for the Dragons. He is also a strong pressure player and is averaging 4.1 tackles a game.

Cooper Harvey
Club: Northern Knights/North Heidelberg FC/Assumption College
DOB: 12/07/04
A small forward or midfielder with a real competitive streak, Harvey has good pace and great goal sense. The son of North Melbourne champion Brent Harvey, he is eligible to join the Kangaroos as a father-son selection this year. Harvey started the NAB League season full of promise with 25 disposals against the Chargers and 24 disposals against the Bushrangers before an injury curtailed his development. However, he is expected back on the field shortly. A student at Assumption College, he will mix his football for the rest of the year between that famous breeding ground for talent and the Knights in the NAB League.

Caleb Mitchell
Club: Murray Bushrangers/Yarrawonga FC/ Yarrawonga College
DOB: 10/08/04
Left footed wingman who has burst onto the scene this year with some outstanding performances for the Bushies having 31 disposals and kicking 2 goals against ladder leader Gippsland Power in round 8 and has averaged 19 disposals for the year. Grabbed his chance when included in the Victoria Country Under 18s team having 24 disposals in their thrilling victory over South Australia in the championships with his ball use impressive.

Darcy Edmends
Club: Northern Knights/Heidelberg FC/Marcellin College
DOB: 28/05/04
A medium midfielder who is a really smooth mover on the wing, Edmends covers the ground particularly well and has a smart step through traffic. He is a creative player with his neat disposal by hand and foot, but an injury setback early in the season has hampered his progress. Edmends had averaged 18.2 disposals in four matches before injury struck and was impressive for Vic Metro in its under 17s matches last year.

Jaxon Binns
Club: Dandenong Stingrays/Berwick FC/Caulfield Grammar
DOB: 29/10/04
A medium midfielder or forward, Binns is a running machine but also has excellent vision and awareness using the ball efficiently by hand and foot. A dangerous player around goals, he impressed at under 17 level for Vic Country last year in a two-match series against Vic Metro due to a Covid-modified championship schedule. Across four matches for the Stingrays this year, Binns has averaged 21 disposals. He also had a game-high 39 disposals and 14 inside-50s in Vic Country's under 18 national championships match against the Allies.

Jonti Schuback
Club: Gippsland Power/Maffra FNC
Weight: 75kg
DOB: 18/03/04
A medium defender with a high footy IQ, Schuback shows composure, elite decision making and precise kicking to set up the play from midfield or defence for his team. He has had a consistent start to 2022, averaging 19.3 disposals across seven matches for the Power, with his speed being a feature of his play. While not father-son eligible, Schuback is the son of Jacob Schuback, who was picked by Adelaide in the 2001 super draft but played only seven senior games over two years at the Crows.

Harvey Howe
Club: Gippsland Power/Traralgon FNC/ Lavalla Catholic College
Height: 201cm
Weight: 98kg
DOB: 26/10/04
A ruckman who is combative in the contest, Howe has really began to hone his ruck craft this year after receiving some tutelage along the journey from former AFL star and Vic Country coach Leigh Brown. He is very mobile and strong overhead, has a real physical presence around the ball and creates both space and opportunities for his teammates. Howe has averaged 11 disposals and 19.3 hit outs across his first seven matches for the Power this season.

Felix Fogarty
Club: GWV Rebels/East Point FC/St Patrick’s College
Height: 198cm
DOB: 09/06/04
A tall forward or ruckman, Fogarty is starting to show real signs of developing as a marking target in attack. He has also added more second efforts and recovery to his game once the ball hits the ground, which are additional elements that are making him a genuine weapon up forward. Fogarty has averaged 12.4 disposals, three marks and 10 hit outs from seven NAB League matches for the Rebels.

Max Knobel
Club: Gippsland Power/Maffra FNC
Height: 204cm
DOB: 27/06/04
A developing young ruckman, Knobel is still learning his ruck craft but is showing real potential after a late growth spurt. A neat left-foot kick, he has worked in tandem with Harvey Howe to give the Power first use of the ball and clearance dominance, averaging 13.3 hit outs and 7.5 disposals himself with the team heading the NAB League ladder. Knobel is the son of former AFL ruckman Trent Knobel, who played with Brisbane, St Kilda and Richmond across a 75-game career and is now part of the coaching panel with the Power.

James Van Es
Club: GWV Rebels/North Ballarat FC
Height: 196cm
Weight: 97kg
DOB: 07/08/04
A tall defender who is a strong contested mark and competes well one-on-one, Van Es is capable of playing on the key marking targets of the opposition and uses his footy smarts to determine when to mark and when to spoil. He made an impressive start to the season with the Rebels, averaging 13.4 disposals and 3.9 marks across seven matches.

Cooper Vickery
Club: Gippsland Power/Bairnsdale FNC/ Neagle College
DOB: 16/12/04
A small defender with dazzling speed, Vickery is prepared to take the game on with ball in hand and is a neat user of the ball with his preferred left foot. Hailing from Orbost, Vickery has overcome the tyranny of distance to play some outstanding NAB League games for the Power this year and is averaging 17 disposals at 74% efficiency across seven matches and was a strong performer for Victoria Country in game one of the championships with 19 disposals.

Bailey Humphrey
Club: Gippsland Power/ Moe NFC/ Lowanna College
DOB: 11/09/04
An inside midfielder who is powerful in his attack on the ball and his exit from stoppages, Humphrey is a neat kick on both feet and a very crafty player around goal when playing forward. He averaged 20 disposals and kicked 11 goals in his first six NAB League matches, starring for the Power. However, Humphrey injured his knee after that and looks set to miss the remainder of the season. AFL clubs are certain to closely monitor his recovery.

Jakob Ryan
Club: Glenelg/Brighton FC/Sacred Heart College
Height: 189cm
DOB: 20/09/04
A super versatile player capable of playing wing, back or forward, Ryan uses his athletic ability, aerial strength, and footy nous to rack up possessions. An effective user of the ball, he has averaged 27.8 disposals across five matches at Under 18s level this year, mixing his club footy with school football. A strong performer at half back for his state in the opening two Under 18s national championships match, Ryan is averaging 22 disposals and 4.5 marks.

Billy Dowling
Club: North Adelaide/St Peters
DOB: 01/07/04
A medium Midfielder, Dowling can play on the inside or outside and have an impact. A real stoppage star, he has great hands and creativity setting up his teammates with his smart decision making. He has averaged an impressive 31 disposals in seven matches at under 18s level this year and continued that form to be amongst his state's best players in their first under 18 national championships match against the Allies, having 24 disposals, five clearances and six inside-50s.

Isaac Keeler
Club: North Adelaide/South Augusta FC/ Henley High
Height: 198cm
Weight: 88kg
DOB: 23/04/04
A tall forward or ruckman who is extremely athletic, Keeler is naturally talented and has great potential which he is striving to turn into consistent performances. He has an excellent asset with his vertical leap, which he uses both in the ruck and with his role as a marking target up forward. A real eye-catcher with his three goals for South Australia in the opening game of the AFL under 18 national championships, Keeler is an indigenous talent and is eligible to be selected by Adelaide under Next Generation Academy rules.

Max Michalanney
Club: Norwood/ Glenunga FC
Height: 192cm
DOB: 26/02/04
A mobile defender capable of playing on talls or smalls, Michalanney uses his reach and speed to negate the effectiveness of his opponents. A member of the NAB AFL Academy, his ability to intercept and rebound is another feature of his play. He is very composed and effective with his disposal and was amongst his state’s best players in South Australia’s first 2 matches of the Under 18 national championships against the Allies and Victoria Country. Michalanney is the son of Norwood legend Jim Michalanney, who played 211 SANFL matches. That connection makes Max eligible to join Adelaide under father-son rules.

Nick Sadler
Club: Sturt/Unley Jets
DOB: 08/01/04
A medium Midfielder Sadler has continued to take his game to new levels this year. His outstanding form for Sturt’s under 18s, where he averaged 20 disposals (half contested) in five matches has seen him rewarded with senior opportunity in the SANFL and selection in the State Under 18s team.

Harry Barnett
Club: West Adelaide/Goodwood FC
Height: 202cm
Weight: 93kg
DOB: 22/01/04
A strong marking ruckman or tall forward, Barnett is still developing his ruck craft but already has a real physical presence around the ball. He follows up impressively at ground level - supporting his smaller teammates - and can take contested marks up forward. Barnett wins plenty of the football for a player of his size and is averaging 18.4 disposals and five marks across nine matches at under 18 level this year. Was clearly amongst his state’s best players in their 2 point loss to Victoria Country in championships having 14 disposals taking 4 marks and having 15 hit outs.

Kobe Ryan
Club: West Adelaide/ Blackwood FC
DOB: 17/02/04
A versatile prospect who was the dominate player at SANFL under 18 level last year as a bottom-ager, Ryan continued that form in his first five games this year as he averaged 29.5 disposals before being promoted to West Adelaide’s senior side. He hasn’t missed a beat with the step-up, averaging 19.5 disposals in an impressive start to his senior career. His toughness in the contest, clean hands, creativity and ability to find space are all key features of his game.

Harry Lemmey
Club: West Adelaide
Height: 199cm
Weight: 94kg
DOB: 30/01/04
A tall forward with a large frame coupled with great mobility, Lemmey is a strong overhead mark and has the ability to have a significant impact for any team he represents. He was eye-catching at underage representative level for South Australia last year in a match against Western Australia and debuted at senior level for West Adelaide. Lemmey has continued to get a taste of senior football in the SANFL this year as he further progresses his learning and development. A member of the NAB AFL Academy, he has the potential to be an exciting player to watch in the AFL under 18 national championships this year.

Tom Scully
Club: West Adelaide/Lockleys FC/Christian Bros College
Height: 202cm
Weight: 89kg
DOB: 02/11/04
A tall forward who has had a wonderful start to his season with his overhead marking and accuracy around goals, Scully booted an exceptional 37 goals in his first seven matches with West Adelaide in the SANFL under 18s. Those performances earned him a call up to the Australian Under 18 team in May, where he certainly showed glimpses of his sizable potential up forward as a marking target in the match against Collingwood’s VFL side.

Adam D’Aloia
Club: Woodville/West Torrens/Henley FC/St Michaels
DOB: 09/04/04
A medium midfielder, D’Aloia was a standout player last year first at under 17s level, then at under 19s level for South Australia in its matches against Western Australia. He is a player who is very strong in the contest, has one-touch hands and good vision which helps him excel around stoppages. He finished off last year by winning the Allan Stewart Medal as best on ground in the SANFL under 18s grand final as a bottom aged player.Has had a strong start to the championships averaging 23 disposals ( 50% contested) and amongst his side’s best against Victoria Country.

Mattaes Phillipou
Club: Woodville/West Torrens/PHOS Camden/Henley High
Height: 191cm
Weight: 83kg
DOB: 27/12/04
A tall midfielder who has been in dominant form in SANFL under 18s for the Eagles, Phillipou has averaged 28 disposals (12 contested), five tackles and 4.3 clearances and has now had a taste of football at the reserves level to further his development. He began the under 18 national championships in outstanding fashion with a dominant 24 disposals, five clearances and two goals in South Australia’s match against the Allies to be among the best afield. Phillipou’s father Sam played in the AFL with the Western Bulldogs and was a prominent player in the SANFL, so he has plenty of football knowledge and experience in the family.

Jaspa Fletcher
Club: Brisbane Lions Academy/Sherwood FC
DOB: 24/02/04
A medium midfielder who can play on both the inside and outside, Fletcher was a shining light for the Lions Academy side in its three NAB League matches at the start of the season, averaging 19 disposals and kicking five goals from the midfield. A smooth mover who has clean hands and excellent disposal skills, he showed his class and composure by being amongst the Allies’ best in their first Under 18 national championships match, logging 24 disposals against South Australia playing both inside and outside roles. He is the son of former AFL star Adrian Fletcher, who played 246 AFL games for Geelong, St Kilda, Brisbane and Fremantle. Fletcher is eligible for the Lions as an AFL Club Academy player under drafting rules. He missed the Allies' second game due to health and safety protocols, but had 19 disposals and kicked a goal in their third match against Vic Country.

Shadeau Brain
Club: Brisbane Lions Academy/Noosa FC
DOB: 13/02/04
A medium forward with a mercurial ability to win the ball both in the air and at ground level, Brain relocated to Queensland two years ago from the regional New South Wales town of Finley with family. He has had an interrupted start to this year due to injury, but a thin slice of him for the Allies in game 2 showed a touch of class and real potential to be amongst his team’s best.

Lloyd Johnston
Club: Northern Territory Thunder/Wanderers
DOB: 21/09/04
A medium defender, the exciting indigenous prospect has great aerial ability and brings serious dash from defence. Johnston backs himself in the air and his preparedness to run and carry breaks up the play for his team. His raw ability as a youngster is reminiscent of another highflyer from the Northern Territory in three-time Brisbane Lions premiership player Daryl White.

Anthony Munkara
Club: Northern Territory/ Tiwi Islands/West Adelaide/Westminster School
DOB: 03/10/04
An exciting medium forward from the Tiwi Islands Munkara really caught the attention of AFL club scouts when he booted nine goals for Westminster in a school football match against Trinity College in Adelaide early in the season. A member of the NAB AFL Academy, he showed touches of brilliance playing for the Australian Under 18 team against Collingwood’s VFL side in May, recording 11 disposals and kicking a goal. Injury restricted Munkara to playing only two under 18s matches with West Adelaide earlier in the year, with school football then becoming the priority. As current Next Generation Academy rules stand, Munkara is eligible to join Essendon should any bid come after pick 40 in the national draft later in the year.

Lachie Cowan
Club: Tasmanian Devils/North Launceston FC
DOB: 01/12/04
A strong and powerful medium defender who intercepts extremely well and provides run from defence, Cowan has great decision making and impressive skill execution. He has been in strong form for the Tasmanian Devils in the NAB League, averaging 28 disposals across six matches, while also being a member of the NAB AFL Academy. Cowan was extremely impressive in the Allies’ first match of the Under 18 national championships, showing off his speed and composure across half back and then in midfield. He had 20 disposals in that match to be among the Allies’ best players.

Seth Campbell
Club: Tasmanian Devils/Burnie Dockers FC
Weight: 71kg
DOB: 29/12/04
A crafty forward who is a smart player and has good speed and agility, Campbell has precise finishing skills. He has already averaged 1.6 goals from 19.8 disposals in eight NAB League matches for the Devils to be one of the side’s most consistent performers. Given his birth date of late December, he just scrapes in on eligibility for the 2022 national draft so still has time for further development.

Cameron Owen
Club: Tasmanian Devils/Clarence FC
Height: 203cm
Weight: 89kg
DOB: 28/05/04
A ruckman or tall forward, Owen is still developing physically as well as honing his ruck craft and forward line role. However, he has the talent, size and mobility to impact games. He is a strong overhead mark and a good user of the ball by hand and foot for a player of his height.

Tom McCallum
Club: Tasmanian Devils/Clarence FC
DOB: 15/09/04
A medium defender who can also play forward, McCallum is a fine intercept mark and can break open the game with his bursts of speed from defence. He has elite running capacity and can play taller or smaller as required in a match up.Has been impressive with his one touch hands in the two Allies matches to date averaging 16 disposals and was named their best player against Victoria Metro.

Harry Rowston
Club: GWS Giants Academy/Griffith Swans FC/Assumption College
DOB: 12/08/04
A medium midfielder who has good game sense and can find the footy, Rowston is an excellent stoppage player and can be dangerous around goals when forward. One of the GWS Giants Academy’s most consistent in their four NAB League matches earlier in the year, he averaged 19.8 disposals (11.5 contested). A boarder at Assumption College, Rowston was a productive player for Allies in their first Under 18 national championships match against South Australia, recording 23 disposals and kicking three goals to continue a fine season to date.

Luke Lawrence
Club: GWS Giants Academy/Mangoplah FC
DOB: 16/03/04
A medium midfielder with explosive burst from stoppages, Lawrence regularly showcases his genuine speed. He is a prolific ball winner who in four NAB League games averaged 24.8 disposals (9.8 contested) and can be productive when resting forward. Lawrence was a solid performer for the Allies in their first game of the Under 18 national championships against South Australia, logging 20 disposals.

Nick Madden
Club: GWS Giants Academy/Osborne FC
Weight: 112kg
DOB: 17/05/04
A ruckman who literally is a giant already at 204cm and 112kg, Madden is an ultra-competitive player who is mobile, has a very good hand to foot ball drop and has impressive ruck craft for a player of his age. He has also shown he can be an imposing marking target when he pushes forward with a neat and confident kicking technique. Madden was impressive for the Giants Academy in NAB League, averaging 13.8 disposals, four marks, 24.8 hit outs and 1.2 goals across four games. Amongst the Allies best against Victoria Metro and has averaged 13 disposals , 4 marks and 14 hit outs across the two matches so far.

Jason Gillbee
Club: Bendigo Pioneers/Balranald -NSW
Weight: 77kg
DOB: 15/05/04
A rangy and versatile player who can play on the wing or off half back, Gillbee has been a prolific ball winner for the Pioneers this season. He has relocated from NSW to Bendigo and averaged 23.8 disposals across his first four NAB League matches. A strong player in one-on-one contests, he is prepared to take the game on with his dash with the ball. All these qualities were on display in an outstanding first up game for the Allies in the Under 18 national championships, where Gillbee logged 20 disposals, six marks and five rebound 50s to be one of his team’s best. Concussion in game two after being prominent in the 1st quarter.

Christian Webster
Club: Sydney Swans Academy/ Pennant Hills Demons FC
DOB: 16/07/04
A left-footed athletic defender who originally played soccer, Webster looks well suited as a rebounding defender. He makes good decisions on when to mark and spoil, and runs with the ball when the opportunity presents itself. He is an ultra-competitive type who looks very composed down back when under pressure, qualities he has already shown this year with the Swans Academy and as a member of the Allies under 18 squad.

Marlin Corbett
Club: Gold Coast Suns Academy
Weight: 76kg
DOB: 18/02/04
A medium midfielder who missed most of the 2021 season with injury and Covid shutdown, Corbett has rebounded very well and is starting to fulfil his potential. A member of the Allies under 18 squad, he has also played for the Gold Coast Suns Academy in the NAB League and averaged 20.7 disposals across three matches.

Jackson Broadbent
Club: Peel Thunder/Collie Eagles JFC
Weight: 100kg
DOB: 02/12/04
A ruckman with elite footy smarts and strong competitiveness, Broadbent also kicks the ball exceptionally well on both feet, particularly for a ruckman of his size. He played three games of senior football with Peel Thunder as a 16-year-old in 2021 and was a strong performer for the Australian Under 18 team in its match against Collingwood’s VFL side in May, recording 17 disposals and 15 hitouts to underline his potential.

Jed Hagan
Club: East Fremantle/Brigades JFC
Height: 175cm
DOB: 15/10/04
A small defender or midfielder, Hagan plays with a passion and determination that belies his physical size. He is very good in one-on-one situations, including overhead where his vertical leap, courage and clean hands are all assets. Hagan is a dual-winner of the J L Williams medal as the best and fairest player at the national under 15s championships, where he starred for Western Australia. He was a strong performer for the Australian Under 18 team in its match against Collingwood’s VFL team in May, having 20 disposals and seven tackles playing primarily in defence. He has also been a consistent ball winner at under 18s level in the WAFL, averaging 24 disposals, 5.8 clearances and nine tackles.

Elijah Hewett
Club: Swan Districts/Caversham JFC/Scotch College
DOB: 27/05/04
A highly-rated medium midfielder, Hewett uses his explosive power to break the lines or burst from stoppage. A standout performer for Western Australia at under 17s level against South Australia last year, he finished his 2021 campaign by starring in the Swans’ Grand Final win at under 18s level in the WAFL. Hewitt has progressed to play five senior matches already this year in the WAFL and was named vice-captain of the Australian Under 18s team, recognising his leadership potential. He was Western Australia's best player in their under 18 national championships match against Vic Metro, logging 29 disposals, five clearances and two goals.

Steely Green
Club: South Fremantle/ Jandakot Jets FC
Weight: 70kg
DOB: 09/01/04
A small midfielder, Green has been the surprise packet of the year with his immediate impact at senior level for the Bulldogs. He has been finding a lot of the footy and has averaged 18.2 disposals (8 contested), four tackles and 2.2 clearances in six matches. Green is a composed character with good vision and speed. He also makes excellent decisions with ball in hand.

Jedd Busslinger
Club: East Perth/Coolbinia JFC/Trinity College
Height: 190cm
Weight: 83kg
DOB: 11/03/04
A tall defender, Busslinger’s intercept marking was a feature of his game in representative matches against South Australia last year. In those two matches he averaged 23.5 disposals and 13 marks. Named as a member of the NAB AFL Academy this year, he performed soundly for the Australian Under 18 team against Collingwood’s VFL side in May, logging 12 disposals and a team-high 11 one-percenters. Busslinger has already had a taste of senior football in the WAFL after being dominant in opening four rounds of the under 18s when he averaged 24 disposals and eight marks. Busslinger impressed with 18 disposals and eight marks in Western Australia's under 18 national championships match against Vic Metro.

Sam Gilbey
Club: Claremont/Wembley Downs JFC/Hale
DOB: 14/05/04
A medium defender or midfielder, Gilbey was eye-catching at under 17s level for Western Australia last year in two matches against South Australia. In those games he showed off his speed and penetrating left-foot kick as he averaged 18.5 disposals. Selected in the NAB AFL Academy this year, Gilbey unfortunately suffered glandular fever after playing only one game at under 18 level for Claremont and consequently missed the Australian under 18 team match in May. However, he is now fully recovered and has been back playing some promising football in the state under 18s trials.

Reuben Ginbey
Club: East Perth/Wesley College
DOB: 10/09/04
A medium defender or midfielder with elite speed and endurance, Ginbey is already well developed physically which has enabled him to have played senior state league football with East Perth. He is now back playing school football but is a must-watch in the Under 18 national championships on the thin slices we have seen this year.

1. Mattaes Phillipou (South Australia - Woodville-West-Torrens)

The son of Sam, Mattaes is a 192cm, dual position impact player who is damaging both as a forward and through the midfield. As a forward, Phillipou hits the scoreboard at will and is a strong overhead mark who hurts opponents both with his work on the lead and aerially. Through the midfield, he is a strong contested ball winner who combines that with a burst of speed and class with ball in hand. Phillipou's Under-18 Championships performance against the Allies, where he amassed 24 disposals, 17 contested possessions, six marks (one contested), five clearances, two goals and two score assists was arguably the most influential performance we have seen in this year's Under-18 Championships. With a December 27th birthday, Phillipou qualifies for this year's draft. With his performances on the board, mix of attributes, influence on games across multiple positions and rapid rate of improvement, Phillipou possesses arguably the highest ceiling in this draft and narrowly holds the top spot. Not viewed on club draft boards as a consensus top-5 selection at this stage, Phillipou at No. 1 is a selection unique to this draft board.
June Ranking: 1

2. Harry Sheezel (Victoria Metro - Sandringham Dragons)

Victoria's most damaging and clever general forward in this year's draft, Sheezel is both a contested marking and ground level threat inside 50m. Finding and winning a good amount of the ball for a forward, Sheezel's best play comes forward of centre with his wizardry around goal and capability to set up teammates. Over the past month, Sheezel has entered the pick No. 1 conversation following his midfield performances over this time and evidence that he is a genuine dual position difference maker. Sheezel's 37 disposals and 19 contested possessions in Round 9 against Northern were backed up in Round 10 where he split his time between playing through the midfield and up forward with 33 disposals and three goals against Western. Through the midfield, Sheezel can be relied upon to win first possession while displaying classy ball use and deceptive agility with his sudden changes of speed often catching out opponents. Sheezel's first Under-18 Championships performance was his best so far with 17 disposals, four goals and two score assists.
June Ranking: 2

3. Will Ashcroft (Victoria Metro - Sandringham Dragons)

A Brisbane father-son prospect and the son of Marcus, Will is the most complete, advanced and productive midfielder in this draft class. This was put beyond doubt when Ashcroft amassed a ridiculous 51 disposals, 27 contested possessions and 14 clearances for Sandringham against Western in Round 10. Ashcroft backed up his unbelievable play during Victoria Metro's first Under-18 Championships match with 37 disposals, 21 contested possessions and 12 clearances against the Allies. What makes Ashcroft such an impressive midfielder is his combination of first possession winning at stoppages, distribution by hand, inside/outside balance, how he is always on the move at high-speed and driving the football forward with speed. There is a real spark and energy with Ashcroft that is rare among draft prospects. While Ashcroft is one of the most extreme high production prospects to come through the junior ranks, it is the 5-10 metres on the burst at speed after winning or receiving the football before disposing that catches the eye and routinely sees Ashcroft break games open. After disposing of the football, Ashcroft continues to run in support, not giving up on the play and providing his side the outnumber on numerous forward forays. The key with Ashcroft that gives him separation from the other midfielders in this draft is not just his top of draft level production but also the frequency of moments he impacts games. The only reason Ashcroft trails Phillipou and Sheezel is that Ashcroft only influences games in one part of the field while the very best footballers historically have tended to not just be great midfielders but have also been able to change games across other part of the field as Phillipou and Sheezel have both shown.
June Ranking: 3

4. Elijah Hewett (Western Australia - Swan Districts)

Hewett is a strong ball winning midfielder who displays power when exiting stoppages and is damaging every time he secures the ball forward of centre. With good speed, agility and evasion, Hewett mixes this with damaging skills by foot whether he is locating and hitting inside 50m targets or finishing around goal himself. A big game player who routinely stars on the big stage, Hewett was arguably best afield in his first Under-18 Championships performance for Western Australia in their loss to Victoria Metro with game highs of 29 disposals, 11 inside 50s, five score assists and an equal team high of two goals.
June Ranking: 7

5. George Wardlaw (Victoria Metro - Oakleigh Chargers)

A contested beast who does his best work at stoppages, Wardlaw is a strong first possession winner who displays the strength to absorb opposition tackles, fend off opponents and burst out of stoppages. Wardlaw is an impressive distributor at stoppages who routinely finds targets on the outside by hand. Defensively, Wardlaw is this draft's most impressive with the pressure he applies, strength of his tackles and effort and desperation he plays with setting him apart. In the AFL Academy vs. Collingwood game, Wardlaw had a team high 15 contested possessions to go with eight tackles, in a game where he was the AFL Academy's standout performer in the second half. Wardlaw has been unavailable for selection in recent weeks due to a hamstring injury but is expected to be back for the latter rounds of the Under-18 Championships.
June Ranking: 5

6. Elijah Tsatas (Victoria Metro - Oakleigh Chargers)

With an established reputation for the ease with which he breaks the lines with his run, evades opponents on the move and precisely places his kicks out in front of targets to lead onto, Tsatas is one of this draft's most exciting offensive players. Tsatas has elevated his game this year to become one of the NAB League's most prolific ball winners and accumulators. Tsatas amassed a ridiculous 36 disposals and 18 contested possessions and 42 disposals and 15 contested possessions in Round 2 and 3 of the NAB League season. With the damage Tsatas does with ball in hand and with his ball winning capabilities, he is one of this year's premier midfielders and is in the conversation with Ashcroft, Wardlaw and Sheezel to be the first picked Victorian midfielder. Due to a foot injury Tsatas has been unavailable for selection in recent weeks and is expected to return for the latter rounds of the Under-18 Championships.
June Ranking: 6

7. Cameron Mackenzie (Victoria Metro - Sandringham Dragons)

A St Kilda Next-Generation Academy midfielder, the Saints will not have first access to Mackenzie if a bid comes inside the top 40. One of the most complete, balanced and damaging midfielders in this draft, Mackenzie earns his spot on this draft board on the back of his strong play in recent months and a standout display for Victoria Metro in their first two Under-18 Championships matches. The talented midfielder amassed 28 disposals, 13 contested possessions, six inside 50s and two score assists for Victoria Metro in their first game and 28 disposals, five clearances and one goal in their second. While Mackenzie is a strong ball winner, he has spent much of his year on the receiving end at stoppages of Ashcroft's distribution by hand. Mackenzie displays quickness and evasion, often receiving on the move at speed. With time and space, Mackenzie is one of the most damaging by foot of this year's top end midfielders, with his kick placement out in front of targets one of space his greatest weapons. On the outside, Mackenzie is often found linking up with teammates and reading the play and pushing behind the ball for timely intercept marks.
June Ranking: Outside top 20

8. Kobe Ryan (South Australia - West Adelaide)

One of 2022's most advanced midfielders, Ryan is a strong contested ball winner who does his best work around stoppages. While Ryan's first possession winning at stoppages is among the best in the draft, he is a lively tackler and displays good speed and agility. There is an inside/outside balance to Ryan's game and while a lot of the ball he wins is contested, he also covers a lot of ground and finds enough of the ball on the outside where he displays neat and tidy skills. After a strong start to the season, Ryan has transitioned to SANFL League level seamlessly and has averaged 19.7 disposals across his first three games.
June Ranking: 9

9. Jedd Busslinger (Western Australia - East Perth)

The leading key defender in this year's draft crop, Busslinger is an elite intercept mark with his early read of the ball in flight, attack on the ball aerially and ability to pluck the ball out of the air. With ball in hand, Busslinger is a composed and reliable ball user., while defensively he is competitive and able to curb the influence of his direct opponent. With averages of 23.8 disposals and eight marks in the WAFL Colts this year, and securing 18 disposals and eight marks in his first Under-18 Championships game, the 197cm key defender is now considered a likely top 10 choice.
June Ranking: 10

10. Isaac Keeler (South Australia - North Adelaide)

A part of Adelaide's Next-Generation Academy, the Crows will not have first access to Keeler if a bid is placed on Keeler inside the top 40. Keeler is 2022's most exciting and freakish key forward and is also suited to spending time through the ruck. He is a high leaping, smooth moving athlete at 198cm who pushes high up the field and displays impressive one-touch cleanness at ground level. After a slower than expected start to the season, Keeler found form in the weeks leading up to the Under-18 Championships, averaging 20.3 disposals over his three SANFL Under-18 games prior to the start of the Under-18 Championships. Keeler has been one of South Australia's most impressive over their first two Under-18 Championships matches with averages of 13 disposals, 7.5 contested possessions and two goals, while playing a high impact per possession game.
June Ranking: 14

11. Lewis Hayes (Victoria Metro - Eastern Ranges)

The younger brother of Port Adelaide's Sam, Lewis is a key defender who involves himself regularly as a rebounding defender and demonstrates neat and tidy skills for someone his height. Standing at 197cm, Hayes is an excellent intercept mark and very mobile but will be looking to add weight to his still slender frame to improve his one-on-one craft. With a December birthday, clubs will be tracking the rate of development with Hayes closely as someone who at this stage is a project player with substantial upside for the future, given his uncommon capabilities for someone his height and age. His progress so far this season has been promising, with his involvement as a rebounder and in general play growing by the week. Hayes was outstanding over his past two NAB League matches with averages of 24.5 disposals, 7.5 marks and eight rebound 50s, while in his most recent match for Victoria Metro against Western Australia, he performed a pivotal role with 19 disposals, five marks and eight rebound 50s.
June Ranking: 18

12. Jhye Clark (Victoria Country - Geelong Falcons)

A strong ball winning midfielder, Clark is one of the most complete midfielders in this draft. The 180cm Clark plays taller than his height and is not only adept at winning the contested ball but is also a strong overhead mark. Clark plays a courageous game, routinely putting his body on the line and never taking a backwards step when the ball is there to be won. Clark displays a nice inside/outside blend with the ball winning and tackling on the inside, but then the composure, neat and tidy skills, high work rate and outside run. Clark's Round 10 performance for Geelong Falcons against Calder was his best so far with 33 disposals, 16 contested possessions and a goal. His play for Victoria Country over their first two matches has also been strong with averages of 25.5 disposals, 9.5 marks, one goal and two score assists.
June Ranking: 19

13. Mitch Szybkowski (Victoria Country - Dandenong Stingrays)

A strong ball winning midfielder, Szybkowski is one of this draft's premier inside distributors with his work by hand, vision in traffic setting up teammates and the ease with which frees his arms when tackled to deliver a handball on time and on target. A speedy midfielder, Szybkowski spreads well from stoppages, covers plenty of ground, and displays good speed and agility. A balanced midfielder, Szybkowski, while most influential at stoppages, finds a good amount of ball on the outside and also applies himself defensively. Szybkowski has been one of Victoria Country's better midfielders over their first two games with averages of 27 disposals, 10 contested possessions, seven marks and two score assists.

14. Adam D'Aloia (South Australia - Woodville-West-Torrens)

One of the most advanced and consistent ball winning midfielders of the 2022 draft class, D'Aloia is a stoppage star who does his best work in close. A prolific first possession winner, tackler, and an excellent distributor by hand, D'Aloia plays a competitive two-way game. Starring in the SANFL Under-18s and performing strongly in his one Reserves opportunity, D'Aloia's performance for South Australia against Victoria Country is his most notable recent performance with team highs of 28 disposals, 13 contested possessions, eight tackles and seven clearances, while also kicking one goal and registering two score assists.
June Ranking: 12

15. Brayden George (Victoria Country - Murray Bushrangers)

A strong bodied, powerful forward, George plays a high impact per possession game. He wins a high proportion of ball contested and does not need to find a lot of the football to provide heavy scoreboard impact, averaging 2.8 goals from 10.3 disposals in the NAB League. George is strong contested mark, wins one-on-one contests, causes problems aerially for opponents and is a one touch player who is just as dangerous overhead as he is at ground level. With ball in hand, George is one of this draft's premier ball users. He displays composure with ball in hand, makes sound decisions, and by foot is not only penetrating but also precisely places his kicks out in front of targets to lead onto. The next step for George will be showing that he can push up through the midfield and start finding more of the football because with his mix of attributes, he would be one of the first few picked if he found more of the football. Currently missing after undergoing knee surgery, George will be hoping to return to match play in August.
June Ranking: 16

16. Casey Voss (South Australia - Sturt)

The son of Michael, Casey was unlucky not to get drafted in 2021 and again this year during the Mid-Season Draft. Voss in 2021 earned a position in the SANFL Team of the Year, won Sturt's Best and Fairest, and this year won the Fos Williams Medal for best-on-ground in the annual SANFL vs. WAFL match. Still just a 21-year-old, Voss has arguably developed into the premier general defender outside the AFL and has impressed with averages of 23 disposals, nine marks and one contested mark per game so far this season in the SANFL, while securing 29 disposals and 15 marks in the SANFL vs. WAFL match. A consistent year-on-year improver, Voss possesses a ready-to-go and well-rounded game with how he intercepts behind the ball, generates drive by foot and restricts the influence of his direct opponent. Voss displays a combination of competitiveness and smarts in defence seen in only the very best by position. Voss' top 20 position on this draft board is based on the view that he would slot into any AFL club best-22.
June Ranking: 20

Casey Voss has been showing plenty of promising signs in 2022. Paul Kane/Getty Images
17. Tom Scully (South Australia - West Adelaide)

Not to be confused with the first overall selection in 2009, this Tom Scully is a 204cm South Australian key forward. Finding a new level to his play over the early rounds of the season, Scully is averaging a competition high 3.6 contested marks and 4.3 goals per game in the SANFL Under-18 games. His height, reach and marks at the highest point have caused opposition defences problems, and in more recent weeks he has led higher up the field to attract more of the football. Demonstrating a dramatic rate of improvement since last season, having a November birthday and with prospects of ruck height tending to take longer to physically mature and reach their performance peak, the upside is high for Scully. Enduring a recent form slump, Scully has averaged just 9.5 disposals and one goal per game over his past two SANFL Under-18 matches. He has yet to be selected to represent South Australia during the Under-18 Championships despite his outstanding first half to the season and representing the AFL Academy against Collingwood's VFL side. The key from here for Scully will be rounding out his game and adding additional points of difference to his arsenal so that he has multiple ways to take advantage of opposition key defenders.
June Ranking: 4

18. Alwyn Davey Junior (Victoria Metro - Oakleigh Chargers)

The son of Alwyn Davey, this year's Davey is taller than his father at 181cm and is arguably the more talented and complete footballer. An Essendon father-son eligible prospect, Davey not only has the crumbing and pressure gifts up forward of his father, but can also push up through the midfield, find the football and use it with class and precision. Davey played his best game so far for Victoria Metro against Western Australia where he secured 19 disposals, kicked two goals and provided three score assists.

19. Harry Rowston (NSW/ACT - Greater Western Sydney)

A Greater Western Sydney Academy prospect, Rowston is a strong ball winning midfielder who displays a high work rate and the versatility to provide a genuine marking target forward of centre. In each of the Allies first three Under-18 Championships matches Rowston has made a strong case for being his side's best while featuring different strengths in each game. For the Allies in the Under-18 Championships opener against South Australia, Rowston secured not only 24 disposals and eight marks, but was his side's best avenue to goal with a team high three majors. In the second Under-18 Championships match, where the Allies challenged Victoria Metro, Rowston was again productive with 22 disposals, but it was the quality of his kicks inside 50m to targets that stood out, registering three score assists in the contest. Rowston's third Under-18 Championships match, where the Allies faced Victoria Country, was his most dominant midfield display with team highs of 28 disposals, 17 contested possessions, seven clearances and eight inside 50s.

20. Henry Hustwaite (Victoria Country - Dandenong Stingrays)

A 194cm tall utility, the younger brother of Collingwood VFL co-captain Campbell, Henry has demonstrated the capability to play both as a key position player and ball winning midfielder. While Hustwaite has been competitive as a key defender, limiting the influence of his direct opponents, rebounding and taking strong contested marks, it has been the promise demonstrated as a midfielder that sees Hustwaite earn a spot on this draft board. In a breakout performance for Victoria Country in their win against the Allies, Hustwaite amassed 29 disposals and team highs of 13 contested possessions and six clearances. Hustwaite through the midfield looms not only as a strong ball winner but a reliable inside distributor who demonstrates composure in traffic. Further midfield performances of this calibre could see Hustwaite be a draft bolter over coming months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back