Game Day 2022 Federal Election!

Remove this Banner Ad

The longer term impact will be interesting to watch if a few of them get up.

It will remove some moderates/centrists from the parliamentary LNP leaving an even greater majority of right-wingers. People like Sharma and Zimmerman for instance are not bad people at all compared to some of their parliamentary colleagues. In an ideal world you'd want people like Dutton and Frydenberg to be the ones to go.

So what would the LNP do? Lurch further to the right? Or learn the lesson and put up more moderate policies and put the dampeners on some of the more extreme elements?

If the LNP moves further right and starts putting up more right wing candidates, who is going to take the centre-ground, especially for moderate voters who can't ever see themselves voting Labor or anything to do with unions? Will there be yet another centrist party (in the past that was ground occupied by the Democrats and others)? Maybe a centre-right grouping?

To put it into one of those two-dimensional quadrant charts, the Teals are appealing to the "economically conservative" (whatever that means) and the "socially progressive" (which curiously enough seems to include climate change action according to TV pundits who I think are still struggling to fit the Teals into their old model of politics). It's this "socially progressive" aspect that will cause a lot of traditional Lib voters to jump ship.
The rise of the Teal independents is a direct result of the LNP lurching to the right.

Many of these people would've considered themselves small l Liberals not so long ago.

Their part left them. They didnt leave it.

Regardless of the result the LNP will continue its rightward trajectory.

Moving in any other direction would mean they become Labor lite and then they will run into a branding issue. This is because labor currently occupy the space as a centrist liberal lite party after the Greens occupied the left part of the political spectrum. Its seems that labor fully moved into this space after they gave up on making worthwhile structural reforms after losing the 'un-losable' federal election and decided that a small target liberal lite agenda was their best chance of winning the next time around.

Pretty accurate piece on where some of our media is heading. Only small viewership, but with how things are going with the minor right wing parties and right wing nationalism becoming more prominent in this country, Sky News and its opinion s**t spinners are a bloody dangerous bunch of hacks.

We're only ever a few years behind trends in the US.

You only need to look at the media following this election and you can just smell the desperation to get a soundbite that will go viral and set the 24hr agenda. The amount of gotcha questions hoping to trip up politicians with some obscure policy data point is just an embarrassment and its indicative of where their fractured industry and profession his headed.

Its always amusing hearing the people at DimmiesFoxNews, errrr. SkyNews whine about media bias when they work for the company that has a stranglehold over 70% of media that people digest in this country. Whats left over are the table scraps that the Perter Costello controlled NineFairfax and the neutered ABC have to fight over just to be heard. They doth protest too much, methinks.

Last poll had Labor primary vote at 34% and trending down.Lnp slightly trending up also around 34%..
LNP won with 41% in 2019.Does Labor need around 36% to win.

The rise of the Teal independents is a direct result of the LNP lurching to the right.

Many of these people would've considered themselves small l Liberals not so long ago.

Moving in any other direction would mean they become Labor lite and then they will run into a branding issue. This is because labor currently occupy the space as a centrist liberal lite party after the Greens occupied the left part of the political spectrum. Its seems that labor fully moved into this space after they gave up on making worthwhile structural reforms after losing the 'un-losable' federal election and decided that a small target liberal lite agenda was their best chance of winning the next time around.

You only need to look at the media following this election and you can just smell the desperation to get a soundbite that will go viral and set the 24hr agenda. The amount of gotcha questions hoping to trip up politicians with some obscure policy data point is just an embarrassment and its indicative of where their fractured industry and profession his headed.

Its always amusing hearing the people at DimmiesFoxNews, errrr. SkyNews whine about media bias when they work for the company that has a stranglehold over 70% of media that people digest in this country. Whats left over are the table scraps that the Perter Costello controlled NineFairfax and the neutered ABC have to fight over just to be heard. They doth protest too much, methinks.
Even more disturbing has been the press pack trying to make the news not just report it.

The constant hounding of Albanese is a sinister trend and a shameful tactic, but it's effective because he is not the consummate liar and talk-under-wet-cement escapologist that Morrison is. So they know he's going to give them what they are after if they keep on harassing him.

It would be instructive to see which journos are leading this charge ... and who they work for.

Even more disturbing has been the press pack trying to make the news not just report it.

The constant hounding of Albanese is a sinister trend and a shameful tactic, but it's effective because he is not the consummate liar and talk-under-wet-cement escapologist that Morrison is. So they know he's going to give them what they are after if they keep on harassing him.

It would be instructive to see which journos are leading this charge ... and who they work for.

Nearly all have been Sky News/News Corpse with a sprinkling of Ch9 in there.

A few older journalists and those not from the Murdoch crew called out Jonathan Lea after Wednesday’s symbolic gotcha moment, which is refreshing and needs to continue. The young wanna be hacks sprouting up through this campaign are tomorrow’s Sky News hack opinion writers.
Hopefully the calling out continues.

Its almost like corporations have a top down agenda.

Politics has become a substance free game of bullshit and bluster at this point. One where the trappings of political power is the only thing of real consequence. It isnt really a contest of ideas anymore.

No matter who wins tomorrow and its hard to believe that its an actual contest. This country is about to go back into its historic comfort zone of being in an extended state of inertia. Dozy campaigners we are.

Cheers. Was a part of the election process I didn’t quite understand.

Makes a bigger mockery of the whole UAP campaign then. If that’s even possible.

I have even less respect for their voters now.
Whilst true for most seats, it's not technically correct that every UAP vote ends up going to either LNP or ALP.

Following preferencing all votes for each seat end up going to the two highest vote getters, and there are a number of seats where the race isn't down to just ALP or LNP - ie for Kooyong these votes will likely end up with either the Liberal Party (Frydenburg) or the Independent (Monique Ryan), not ALP.

Whilst true for most seats, it's not technically correct that every UAP vote ends up going to either LNP or ALP.

Following preferencing all votes for each seat end up going to the two highest vote getters, and there are a number of seats where the race isn't down to just ALP or LNP - ie for Kooyong these votes will likely end up with either the Liberal Party (Frydenburg) or the Independent (Monique Ryan), not ALP.

IMO Not enough independents OR Greens will finish top 3…. It’s a shame, as I wonder how a Turquoise Alliance would go.

IMO Not enough independents OR Greens will finish top 3…. It’s a shame, as I wonder how a Turquoise Alliance would go.
According to the bookies, of the 151 up for grabs we should expect 30 seats with a top 2 finish from someone who isn't part of either the LNP or ALP, including 7 seats where the alternative is the favourite (4 seats for Independents, 1 each for Greens, Katter Australia Party and Centre Alliance).

Don’t why I put myself through it, but I‘ve been listening to 2GB the past 2 days. They are full on feral attack mode on Albo. So orchestrated.

My Asian neighbour said to me in broken english today. "Erection day tomorrow" wonder what party will be more aroused. Looks like the ALP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will remove some moderates/centrists from the parliamentary LNP leaving an even greater majority of right-wingers. People like Sharma and Zimmerman for instance are not bad people at all compared to some of their parliamentary colleagues. In an ideal world you'd want people like Dutton and Frydenberg to be the ones to go.

So what would the LNP do? Lurch further to the right? Or learn the lesson and put up more moderate policies and put the dampeners on some of the more extreme elements?

If the LNP moves further right and starts putting up more right wing candidates, who is going to take the centre-ground, especially for moderate voters who can't ever see themselves voting Labor or anything to do with unions? Will there be yet another centrist party (in the past that was ground occupied by the Democrats and others)? Maybe a centre-right grouping?

To put it into one of those two-dimensional quadrant charts, the Teals are appealing to the "economically conservative" (whatever that means) and the "socially progressive" (which curiously enough seems to include climate change action according to TV pundits who I think are still struggling to fit the Teals into their old model of politics). It's this "socially progressive" aspect that will cause a lot of traditional Lib voters to jump ship.
The teals are in no way, shape or form economically conservative.

A basic viewing of their platforms would confirm this.

Unless of course if you consider higher taxes, spending and wasteful pet projects to be economically conservative (in fairness, a close representation of the current liberal party).

The teals (and various other themed colours eg/orange for Priestly in Nicholls) appeal to me. But, I do not consider myself particularly socially progressive. I am a rural voter who supported same-sex marriage. Then again, so did the 70 yo farmer next door!
I despise corruption. So I want a retrospective ICAC. I find Barnaby Joyce, considering himself THE representative of rural people extremely embarrassing. He has visited our seat several times to tout the Nationals candidate and claims country people "don't know what icac is"!!
And real action on climate change is not a choice. It will hurt economically. But we have to suck it up and somehow adapt.

My Asian neighbour said to me in broken english today. "Erection day tomorrow" wonder what party will be more aroused. Looks like the ALP.
I was once asked by a young Asian visitor at the time of a federal election “How often do you have an erection?” Mrs dw and I struggled to contain our mirth when I replied “once every three years” … so we had to explain the joke to her as tactfully as we could.

I was once asked by a young Asian visitor at the time of a federal election “How often do you have an erection?” Mrs dw and I struggled to contain our mirth when I replied “once every three years” … so we had to explain the joke to her as tactfully as we could.
Reminder of that line from Redgum's Critique in G about Malcolm Fraser
"...got the biggest election that Tammy's ever seen"

Too late to realistically post your postal vote, now. A hellofalot have pre voted, just about all the Mitchells prepared to talk to me about it have already voted. Is it OK to approach a deserted local Primary School to claim a sausage if you've already voted ? The Government we deserve.? We'll never get that.

I can see you're all cut up about it if they do get flooded out.

Even if we all get onboard with climate change as a nation, is it actually going to do anything with China and Russia doing as they please?

Convince me.

Sorry to dredge up an old-ish post, but are you familiar with some of the research on the economic costs and benefits of action by individual countries vs. globally? There was an interesting paper in PNAS on this last year, showing that if the US were to attempt mitigation measures while the rest of the world did nothing, they would save more money in the short-term (i.e., before 2030) from reduced health costs---mainly decreased pollution-related mortality and morbidity---and increased crop yields than would be lost to mitigation measures. On the other hand, the actual climate benefits would be minimal without global action. I have no idea to what extent this sort of analysis can be generalised to Australia, but if you save money in the short term by going it alone, and potentially benefit in the long term if others get on board, I have trouble seeing much of a downside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back