Prediction 2022 GWS Best 22 - your opinion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys what a puzzle it is to put a GWS team out on the park!
FB: Haynes Davis Cumming
HB: Ash Taylor Whitfield
C: Kelly Ward Perryman
HF: Coniglio Hogan Greene
FF: Hill Himmelberg Daniels
FOL: Preuss Hopper Taranto
BENCH: Green, Bruhn, De Boer, Callaghan

-Ward wont offer anything more than Hopper or Green going ahead as one dimensional inside midfielders go.
-I feel your best rucks are in order: Preuss, Briggs, Flynn.
Theres a decent amount of depth and versatility in the squad though lacking in a bit of outside run and frontal pressure

-Ward wont offer anything more than Hopper or Green going ahead as one dimensional inside midfielders go.
Theres a decent amount of depth and versatility in the squad though lacking in a bit of outside run and frontal pressure
Definitely don't want Cogs anywhere near that forward line early in the year. He adds the most value and upside in the midfield where he's played his best footy.
Bruhn/Ash/Callaghan(not yet) will all be looking for a spot in the mid so I dunno what we do there.
Taranto and Green both did good work when they went forward last year, as did Perryman.

Not having Idun in the side is a criminal offence. De Boer's time has probably passed him by now, no idea about Callaghan think it's difficult to expect a first player to contribute in a good side. Would swap those 2 out for XO and Stone/Llyod/Flynn. I've been as critical of Llyod as the next guy/gal he has a tendancy to float in out of games but he still kicked 20 goals last year and this forward line needs play finishers like him so if it's between him and MDB I'd lean Llyod. We saw Cogs play on a foward flank at the end of last year but I strongly believe that's because he was undercooked coming back from injury and not in a position where he was able to have extended run in the midfield, would expect him to be on of our main centre bounce attendees like he has been in years past. We might see more midfield time for Ash in a tagging role that he played very well last year (making MDB more redundant) but think he's still going to see most of his time on the wing or off half back.

Last edited:
Not having Idun in the side is a criminal offence. De Boer's time has probably passed him by now, no idea about Callaghan think it's difficult to expect a first player to contribute in a good side. Would swap those 2 out for XO and Stone/Llyod/Flynn.
Correct!

Not having Idun in the side is a criminal offence. De Boer's time has probably passed him by now, no idea about Callaghan think it's difficult to expect a first player to contribute in a good side. Would swap those 2 out for XO and Stone/Llyod/Flynn. I've been as critical of Llyod as the next guy/gal he has a tendancy to float in out of games but he still kicked 20 goals last year and this forward line needs play finishers like him so if it's between him and MDB I'd lean Llyod. We saw Cogs play on a foward flank at the end of last year but I strongly believe that's because he was undercooked coming back from injury and not in a position where he was able to have extended run in the midfield, would expect him to be on of our main centre bounce attendees like he has been in years past. We might see more midfield time for Ash in a tagging role that he played very well last year (making MDB more redundant) but think he's still going to see most of his time on the wing or off half back.
Im 100% asleep on Idun, he looks flashy from what ive seen but what does he provide and whats his best spot going ahead?
Ward, Davis, deBoer are on their last legs but seem to be have the missing ingredient of Giants sides in the past. The selfless players who will sacrifice their own game for the team and get their hands dirty.
Callaghan will slot onto a flank somewhere I would imagine and gives much needed outside class. Barring injury he can play 15 odd games this year.

Agreed that Cogs should play on ball, but out of the midfield squeeze him and Taranto are the two most capable and dangerous forwards. (Similar to what has happened to Toby Greene)
Why waste Ash as a tagger!!! If you have the luxury of playing both Ash and Whitfield at half back you will have the best rebound in the AFL, no one will catch em!

Im 100% asleep on Idun, he looks flashy from what ive seen but what does he provide and whats his best spot going ahead?

Why waste Ash as a tagger!!! If you have the luxury of playing both Ash and Whitfield at half back you will have the best rebound in the AFL, no one will catch em!

Connor Idun 2021
B835FDFD-320E-4FB3-A6DE-36ACD73B2E1B.jpeg

Given Connor’s 1%, marks, intercepts and rebound 50s stats, I’m not sure Ash is a waste as deBoer’s replacement. You also have to remember, part of what makes deBoer a great tagger is that he didn’t just shut his opponent down, he went and got the ball himself - if Ash can do that, he can be very damaging. Meanwhile, you have Idun coming out of the back half nicely.

Ward, Davis, deBoer are on their last legs but seem to be have the missing ingredient of Giants sides in the past. The selfless players who will sacrifice their own game for the team and get their hands dirty.
Callaghan will slot onto a flank somewhere I would imagine and gives much needed outside class. Barring injury he can play 15 odd games this year.

Agreed that Cogs should play on ball, but out of the midfield squeeze him and Taranto are the two most capable and dangerous forwards. (Similar to what has happened to Toby Greene)
Idun is elite at defending small/medium forwards many games this year he was asked to take the most difficult non key forward against a lot of teams and was extremly effective his skill set cannot be really be replaced by anyone else on the roster. Wards still a really quality player and would be in the side every week for me unless we see massive decline, Davis looked cooked at times throughout the year but most of us on this board saw him play one of his best games of the season against Geelong in the finals, think he's still got enough left in the tank for another season if he's not battling injuries. MDB had some great years but think we've moved past the need for him and even had some really good games this year, if he's going to be in the side it's probably as a pressure forward player. Ash is primary spot for me would be as a half back but still really like what he gives us as a winger, they rotate the wings and half back a fair bit, he looked a lot more comfortable as a tagger then I thought he'd be so think we'll see him get some defensive jobs throughout the season another bonus of having him in the midfield is his speed is completely different to all the other hulk and power we have in the mids. Expecting Callaghan to play 15 games barring injury seems to be setting our expectations quite high, I think he's going to be a gun but it's not likely we're going to see a first year player play that often in a team that should be really good.

Connor Idun 2021
View attachment 1318640

Given Connor’s 1%, marks, intercepts and rebound 50s stats, I’m not sure Ash is a waste as deBoer’s replacement. You also have to remember, part of what makes deBoer a great tagger is that he didn’t just shut his opponent down, he went and got the ball himself - if Ash can do that, he can be very damaging. Meanwhile, you have Idun coming out of the back half nicely.
The point im making is Ash can be an elite. Would you use Whitfield as a tagger if he goes ok at it? Sometimes you need to lock down on a player who is running hot and its a valuable skill to have but there's plenty of players on a list who can be trained specifically as a tagger/ defensive mid.

The point im making is Ash can be an elite. Would you use Whitfield as a tagger if he goes ok at it? Sometimes you need to lock down on a player who is running hot and its a valuable skill to have but there's plenty of players on a list who can be trained specifically as a tagger/ defensive mid.
Ash isn't (or at least shouldn't) be restricted to purely tagging roles next season that is clearly not fully utilising his skill set, he might get a handful of jobs throughout the year but for the most part plays off halfback and the wing. Unless there's significant development in his midfield ability over the offseason I think we'll see his usage match what it was towards the end of last year, we saw he had some great games head to head against Prestia and Parish but we also saw him play really well in space in finals where he wasn't given tagging roles. He's developed into a versatile player and I'd expect we're going to see all aspects of his game this season.

Last edited:
Whitfield is already elite...why would we make him a tagger? He's our most important attacking piece.
We have two guys who can tag. Ash and DeBoer. Ash adds another level when he's playing in the midfield and can be super damaging going the other way. He will become elite....no one is questioning that.
It'll just depend on mid time minutes whether he plays a lot off half back....or gets a lot of time in the guts.

Idun starts 100%.
Stats posted above tell the story...but if you watched our games last year you'd know he VERY rarely gets beaten in a 1on1 contest.
Back line is going to be a weapon this year.
I've said it before, I'll say it again....Connor Stone.

I agree.
I reckon the tagging last year for Ash was a learning experience so he got an idea of what the best players do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit worried about Callaghans situation. I’m not sure any draftees who started their time with us with a rather significant injury have fared too well. Hope I’m wrong.
Has there been any update on Callaghan's injury status?
191cm and pushing 90kgs. I don't think he will feel out of place when he gets into the senior team. Hopefully we can get him up and running and gets some games into him this year.
Probably gets games due to injury...or I can see him challenging XO for a spot.
Bit worried about Callaghans situation. I’m not sure any draftees who started their time with us with a rather significant injury have fared too well. Hope I’m wrong.

Wheres Stone been training guys hes a versatile type who was mainly half forward in under 18s with stints up in the middle

You guys mainly looked to him as a defender in early 2021

What position or group is he playing/training in at the moment?

Wheres Stone been training guys hes a versatile type who was mainly half forward in under 18s with stints up in the middle

You guys mainly looked to him as a defender in early 2021

What position or group is he playing/training in at the moment?
Mid/Forward....
With our midfield, I'd say mostly forward.

That's where we need weapons.
Back line is young and tough.
Mids are solidified.
I'd say you'll see him take Toby's role for the first 5 weeks....especially after his form in the Geelong final. He's a talent. He's also exactly the kind of player Leon likes in my opinion.

Mid/Forward....
With our midfield, I'd say mostly forward.

That's where we need weapons.
Back line is young and tough.
Mids are solidified.
I'd say you'll see him take Toby's role for the first 5 weeks....especially after his form in the Geelong final. He's a talent. He's also exactly the kind of player Leon likes in my opinion.
Yeh comes across as a straight shooter. Short back and sides no tatts does everything asked of him type along with being athletic and big

Thats just what i get from him... coukd be way off

Yeh comes across as a straight shooter. Short back and sides no tatts does everything asked of him type along with being athletic and big

Yeah and he's sort of a loping runner. Probably a little bigger and more agile than you'd think. He knows where the sticks are. I'd say we will at least see where they intend to play him in the praccys.
I just don't really see any other options positionally.

Interestingly I've heard Callaghan may he closer to 194cm than 190 now as well, may be able to get games playing as a tall high half forward to provide link up that we've probably struggled with outside of Toby

Pretty accurate from what I can tell.
Phil Davis described him.very similarly in a club piece last year

Round 1 Best 22

B N.Haynes S.Taylor C.Idun
HB H.Perryman P.Davis I.Cumming
C L.Ash J.Hopper L.Whitfield
HF T.Taranto J.Riccardi T.Bruhn
F H.Himmleberg J.Hogan I.Hill
FOLL: M.Flynn S.Coniglio J.Kelly
INTER: Green, XOH, Ward, Stone
Sub: Peatling