Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated list position

1669782556976.png

And 2024 as it stands

1669783458008-png.1564958

Last edited:
Unfortunately we have seen the last of Turner .....he was the short-term Crouch replacement ......now not required, and with Hugh Bond being a younger & similar player

Pity, as Turner deserved an opportunity ....and Crouch didn't
As Big Dub and others have said.. that Turner was in right up to the Bond incident (we lost ROWE, but gained a ROWER..has someone already done that?).. and that Turner was still training with us… maybe the club has a cunning Plan B around Turner and LTI.

As Big Dub and others have said.. that Turner was in right up to the Bond incident (we lost ROWE, but gained a ROWER..has someone already done that?).. and that Turner was still training with us… maybe the club has a cunning Plan B around Turner and LTI.
He won’t go near us again

No, we’ve told him no

No, we’ve told him no
I think that's why he's a bit upset.

The plan probably WAS to put him back on the list as Seed's LTI replacement - people have been discussing that as a clear option for months.

But the outcome of the trade and draft was that we're actually really full through the midfield, and when we use the SSP replacement we would really want to look for Tall depth, not a mid/forward.

It's disappointing for Turner - but the reason we took someone on a six month deal was so we had the flexibility to make the right decisions now and not be painted into a corner.

Was Turner the right decision then, though? I don't think so, but at least we didn't double down on an error.

Last edited:
And a top 4 side gave it to him.

But it isn’t a question of Charmichael wanted 18 so that justifies giving Turner 6 months, there were more than 2 players available ;)
Carmichael was the pick of the bunch. I still think we did it to weaken Glenelg. 🤷‍♀️

Murray and Strachan sign new deals

Updated list below. I imagine Butts is the one we would be working on and obviously Doedee. McAdam will get an extension It's just going to come down to hiw many years we are prepared to give him.

Outside that the others are just about all wait and see or already gone. It's a long list.

Contracted until end of 2023
Rory Sloane
Chayce Jones
Harry Schoenberg
Andrew McPherson (R)
Josh Worrell
Shane McAdam
Jordan Butts
Fischer McAsey
Tom Doedee
Lachlan Murphy
Matthew Crouch
Paul Seedsman (R)
Jackson Hately
Zac Talyor
Luke Nankervis
Taylor Walker
James Borlase (R)
Tariek NewChurch(R)

Updated list below. I imagine Butts is the one we would be working on and obviously Doedee. McAdam will get an extension It's just going to come down to hiw many years we are prepared to give him.

Outside that the others are just about all wait and see or already gone. It's a long list.

Contracted until end of 2023
Rory Sloane
Chayce Jones
Harry Schoenberg
Andrew McPherson (R)
Josh Worrell
Shane McAdam
Jordan Butts
Fischer McAsey
Tom Doedee
Lachlan Murphy
Matthew Crouch
Paul Seedsman (R)
Jackson Hately
Zac Talyor
Luke Nankervis
Taylor Walker
James Borlase (R)
Tariek NewChurch(R)
I'd say we will sign the following during the season:
Jones
Schoenberg
Worrell
McAdam
Butts
Doedee
Taylor
Nankervis
Walker (1 year extension)

That would leave the following:

GONE:
McPherson
McAsey
Crouch
Seedsman

Likely gone:
Sloane (Retired or 1 year deal - I hope retired)
Hately
Borlase

On the fringe:
Murphy
Newchurch

Jones
Schoenberg
Worrell
McAdam
Butts
Doedee
Taylor
Nankervis

GONE:
McPherson
McAsey
Crouch
Seedsman

Likely gone:
Hately
Borlase

On the fringe:
Murphy
Newchurch
Id bet that this year is the year one or more of our guys request a trade for more opportunity, too

Could be any of Jones, Worrell, Schoenberg, Murphy or even a guy in contract

Id bet that this year is the year one or more of our guys request a trade for more opportunity, too

We are well over "due" to lose a kid back to Victoria.

Cashing in the 2023 draft would be the right time for us with picks should it happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones
Schoenberg
Worrell
McAdam
Butts
Doedee
Taylor
Nankervis

GONE:
McPherson
McAsey
Crouch
Seedsman

Likely gone:
Hately
Borlase

On the fringe:
Murphy
Newchurch

Not that there is a limit but I think 8 spots will be about the internal limit of changes we could make so I think you are about right.

Jones
Schoenberg
Worrell
McAdam
Butts
Doedee
Taylor
Nankervis

GONE:
McPherson
McAsey
Crouch
Seedsman

Likely gone:
Hately
Borlase

On the fringe:
Murphy
Newchurch
Agree with most of these.
  • Hately - surely has to be in the GONE category, rather than "Likely gone".
  • Murphy - probably belongs in the "will sign" category, rather than "On the fringe". The Murphy hate is a BF phenomenon, it's not an opinion shared within the club.
  • Borlase & Newchurch - will both hit the rookie list time limit of 3 years, at which time they either need to be promoted or delisted. I think Newchurch is the more likely of the two to be promoted, but the arrival of Rankine makes it far less likely. Realistically, both belong in the "Likely gone" category.
A few other things to note:
  • Looking at the GONE and Likely Gone categories, there are only 4 players listed who are on the senior list - McPherson, Seedsman, and Borlase are all rookie listed.
  • Murray will max out his rookie list time this year, and will need to be upgraded (noting that he's now contracted to 2025).
  • Borlase & Newchurch are Cat B rookies, so delisting them won't create a usable vacancy (unless we're looking at signing another Cat B player).
  • Our senior list is currently full, so we can't create any additional senior list vacancies by delisting rookies (unless we take the Seed/Moose path).
  • Even though we have 18 players coming out of contract (it was 20 prior to today's announcement), we're still going to be tight for senior list vacancies at the end of the year.

Taylor a possibility also.

Laird, Keays, Sloane, Berry, Soligo, Schoenberg are all ahead of him. Crouch and Hately too most likely.

Jones
Schoenberg
Worrell
McAdam
Butts
Doedee
Taylor
Nankervis

GONE:
McPherson
McAsey
Crouch
Seedsman

Likely gone:
Hately
Borlase

On the fringe:
Murphy
Newchurch

I would put Hately in the 'Fringe' category.

We might want him for depth after we lose Crouch and Sloane

Taylor a possibility also.

Laird, Keays, Sloane, Berry, Soligo, Schoenberg are all ahead of him. Crouch and Hately too most likely.
Crouch & Hately would require minor miracles to happen, if they are to be on our list in 2024. That somewhat reduces the competition Taylor is facing.

Agree. Hately would have to pull a rabbit from somewhere to remain on our list post 2023.
I'd think Hately's position will come down to how well he goes in 2023 and how well Taylor, Nankervis and Cook come on and to a lesser degree Dowling and Bond.

All's not lost just yet but pretty obviously he will need to lift quite a bit to be certain of another contract with us.

I'm expecting Schoenberg to lift this year but Cook's 2022 season was a real worry for me, at certain times he just didn't look switched on and looked to be playing timid to my eye

I'd think Hately's position will come down to how well he goes in 2023 and how well Taylor, Nankervis and Cook come on and to a lesser degree Dowling and Bond.

All's not lost just yet but pretty obviously he will need to lift quite a bit to be certain of another contract with us.

I'm expecting Schoenberg to lift this year but Cook's 2022 season was a real worry for me, at certain times he just didn't look switched on and looked to be playing timid to my eye
The difference is that Cook's contract doesn't expire in 2023. Hately's does.

The difference is that Cook's contract doesn't expire in 2023. Hately's does.
Where did I even intimate that Cook's contract was up, my comment was re his totally underwhelming 2022 season and him needing a genuine lift in performance.

Cook's 2022 season was a real worry for me, at certain times he just didn't look switched on and looked to be playing timid to my eye
Might be able to switch him on, but "timid" is a real worry. Despite the obvious potential "timid" is a deal breaker for me.

Might be able to switch him on, but "timid" is a real worry. Despite the obvious potential "timid" is a deal breaker for me.
For mine Cook was the biggest disappointment of the 2022 season. It was like there might be something going on away from football so underwhelming his whole approach was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back