Resource 2022 NMFC Membership thread - Final Tally: 50,191

Remove this Banner Ad

I would be ******* shocked if people at the gates were turned around because their perfectly valid and scannable barcode was on a piece of paper instead of on their phone. Even if it's "banned", which I honestly find hard to fathom, I doubt the scanners give half a s**t and will just do it anyway.

It's one thing to cease handing out paper tickets anymore, it's another to stop joe blow from printing the thing out himself.

Last edited:
I know people talk about you needing to be on the media team, but honestly they just need to get you down there under ANY role. Would instantly improve any department.

I'm "reliably informed" that happy days await us on this issue. GR is, and has been, a very busy boy and now the fruits of that labour are all growing up. Soon a whole posse of GR's will descend upon Arden Street and take over the entire administration of the NMFC. Happy days await us. :D

Why can't we just print tickets, rather than use the stupid phone?

Who is it hurting? Surely it can't be about ''health and safety'', because I'm the only person touching it.

Also, mobile phones aren't exactly clean. The screens are always being touched.

I just don't get it.

I took this up yesterday with the AFL representative after my 80 minutes in the queue on the phone. His answer was that it is a "hygiene" issue. They do not want a lot of paper tickets floating about because of the possibility of infection spread.

I informed him that this was a ridiculous reason. If the owner of the ticket prints, scans and retains the ticket at all times and touches none of the equipment then no-one is at risk. Where required in the past I have never had a problem with a paper ticket, including never handing it to someone else.
Long before covid-19, when the attendants at the aisles needed to check if patrons are entering the right aisle/seat, I have objected strenuously when they have tried to take the plastic card or the piece of paper out of my hands for checking purposes. I have always had the view that I have no idea what the hygiene habits of others might be so why should they touch my ticket? Some of them have got a bit upset, but I don't care. Keep your greasy mitts off my possessions.

Last edited:
I took this up yesterday with the AFL representative after my 80 minutes in the queue on the phone. His answer was that it is a "hygiene" issue. They do not want a lot of paper tickets floating about because of the possibility of infection spread.

I informed him that this was a ridiculous reason. If the owner of the ticket prints, scans and retains the ticket at all times and touches none of the equipment then no-one is at risk. Where required in the past I have never had a problem with a paper ticket, including never handing it to someone else.
Long before covid-19, when the attendants at the aisles needed to check if patrons are entering the right aisle/seat, I have objected strenuously when they have tried to take the plastic card or the piece of paper out of my hands for checking purposes. I have always had the view that I have no idea what the hygiene habits of others might be so why should they touch my ticket? Some of them have got a bit upset, but I don't care. Keep your greasy mitts of my possessions.

This is your finest ever post, Horace. And s**t, there's been many.

Unbelievable stupidity, on all fronts. I have also NEVER thrown my printed ticket out, after entering a fully ticketed match.

They could've just sent out membership cards, if they didn't want people to ''ILLLLLEGALLLLLYYYYY'' dispose, of paper tickets.

Agree with this.

If ticketmaster/ticketek website crashes prior to commencement of a game.....how do people attending get inside the venue?

By showing the screen shots taken of each digital ticket and barcode.

At the very least, I hope everyone’s done this as a backup measure.

By showing the screen shots taken of each digital ticket and barcode.

At the very least, I hope everyone’s done this as a backup measure.
That’s a good idea....I’m gonna do that right now.

But some will rely purely on the app or website. Printed tickets should be allowed.

And therein is the issue with anything involving the AFL.

The NFL in the U.S had to get a supreme court ruling against antitrust laws to negotiate things like t.v. rights.

But the teams are billion dollar entities and if the NFL pulled the Gilligan, Fat Andy or Ross the Boss crap, they would get sued or end up in a bodybag.

Railroaded into a bad stadium deal, an NFL team would sue or find any number of cities willing to use taxpayer money to build a new one.

Yeah but in the NFL, North would not exist.

So in addition to being s**t boring sport, it’s also soulless and full of litigious knobs.

I’d rather slice my testicles off than do anything the American-way.

Yeah but in the NFL, North would not exist.

So in addition to being sh*t boring sport, it’s also soulless and full of litigious knobs.

I’d rather slice my testicles off than do anything the American-way.

While I completely agree with the sentiments, I'm not sure I'd take that action ahead of doing something "the American way". And i know many here over the years have also suggested slicing them off in the past.

I know of a dairy farmer, who for reasons unknown (to me at least), once elected to apply the treatment used to castrate calves and lambs, to his appendages. He was taken to hospital in excruciating agony to have the tight little ring removed. I've often wondered what the treating medical staff must have thought at the time.

While I completely agree with the sentiments, I'm not sure I'd take that action ahead of doing something "the American way". And i know many here over the years have also suggested slicing them off in the past.

I know of a dairy farmer, who for reasons unknown (to me at least), once elected to apply the treatment used to castrate calves and lambs, to his appendages. He was taken to hospital in excruciating agony to have the tight little ring removed. I've often wondered what the treating medical staff must have thought at the time.

I have very little use for my appendages these days.

Glad I got some good use out of it in my 20’s.

Horace, did you get your tickets? Have you ensured your battery is full?

I’m worried about you mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have very little use for my appendages these days.

Glad I got some good use out of it in my 20’s.

Horace, did you get your tickets? Have you ensured your battery is full?

I’m worried about you mate.

That is very pleasing to read. I'm happy for you mate.

As to tickets and batteries, yes I did and I will ensure my "not very smart" phone will be charged before I head off on Sunday. I'll just have to remember when I arrive, not to leave it in the car in my haste to walk to Marvel.

And in fact I managed to get two lots of tickets, one set which I passed on to another North supporter.

It was not by any means easy and it took me 50 minutes and three failed attempts to secure the first lot, which I then promptly lost. I then rang the AFL and spent 80 minutes in a queue to find out what happened to them.

I purchased the second lot on the computer and that went much more smoothly, because I can actually see the computer screen, but not so much a mobile screen. Of course having purchased them I had no idea how to get them onto my "not very smart" phone, but young Horace quickly sorted that out.

Whether they will work on Sunday, is of course another matter. This first round game will not be a game to arrive late at I believe. We may get a forerunner to this tonight. There may be some spectacular problems in gaining entry. I sort of hope that is the case tonight, because 50000 angry Tiger supporters will not go silently into the night and might well issue an overdue wake up call to the powers that be.

I remain very disappointed with the AFL/the clubs/TICKETMASTER, that they have foisted this system on us, in a year arguably more important to football than we have ever seen. TICKETMASTER surely operate one of the least customer friendly systems in the world, or in my opinion they do anyway. They cannot expect us to be wasting valuable daylight working hours as so many people have this week.

That is very pleasing to read. I'm happy for you mate.

As to tickets and batteries, yes I did and I will ensure my "not very smart" phone will be charged before I head off on Sunday. I'll just have to remember when I arrive, not to leave it in the car in my haste to walk to Marvel.

And in fact I managed to get two lots of tickets, one set which I passed on to another North supporter.

It was not by any means easy and it took me 50 minutes and three failed attempts to secure the first lot, which I then promptly lost. I then rang the AFL and spent 80 minutes in a queue to find out what happened to them.

I purchased the second lot on the computer and that went much more smoothly, because I can actually see the computer screen, but not so much a mobile screen. Of course having purchased them I had no idea how to get them onto my "not very smart" phone, but young Horace quickly sorted that out.

Whether they will work on Sunday, is of course another matter. This first round game will not be a game to arrive late at I believe. We may get a forerunner to this tonight. There may be some spectacular problems in gaining entry. I sort of hope that is the case tonight, because 50000 angry Tiger supporters will not go silently into the night and might well issue an overdue wake up call to the powers that be.

I remain very disappointed with the AFL/the clubs/TICKETMASTER, that they have foisted this system on us, in a year arguably more important to football than we have ever seen. TICKETMASTER surely operate one of the least customer friendly systems in the world, or in my opinion they do anyway. They cannot expect us to be wasting valuable daylight working hours as so many people have this week.

Hear hear.

Incredible summation Horace.

I’m positive this sentiment is echoed throughout the faithful.

Good luck with it all and Go North, I think getting there by 1215, is the go. 2-3 cracks and enough time to get a paper ticket from the Membership Marquee if required.

Not only is is it expensive and time consuming, it’s also at the point where it’s so difficult that people will give up.

So how will the AFL be selling pies, sandwiches, doughnuts etc without wrapping? The AFL record will no longer be allowed inside the ground, ditto newspapers or any sort of magazines?

So how will the AFL be selling pies, sandwiches, doughnuts etc without wrapping? The AFL record will no longer be allowed inside the ground, ditto newspapers or any sort of magazines?

Under a just announced rule you will be able to purchase digital pies, sandwiches, doughnuts, etc, by logging into your Ticketmaster account, purchasing them there and then downloading them into your Apple Wallet or Google Pay on your mobile device.

Said to be very delicious and most importantly for those watching their waists (because they have long since lost sight of their toes), the digital version is a winner from a weight loss perspective.

36,004 heafing into round 1 .

Not a bad figure considering we are blooding a lot of youth .

Is anyone else concerned the Brisbane Lions who surpassed 31,000 members yesterday , will surpass us in members in years to come.

That would like very bad IMO.

36,004 heafing into round 1 .

Not a bad figure considering we are blooding a lot of youth .

Is anyone else concerned the Brisbane Lions who surpassed 31,000 members yesterday , will surpass us in members in years to come.

That would like very bad IMO.
They are at their peak right now whilst we are flat out bottoming out. If they don't do it in the next year or two it won't happen in our lifetimes

Horry in fine form

Horace can you contact my Librarian from Year 8 and tell her I never borrowed that Book? I don’t know if she is still alive but that was 38 years ago and I am still pissed off

giphy.gif

Were you expecting our biggest home crowd ever against Port Adelaide for this game? Biggest ever (excluding finals) is 24,000

I would have been hopeful that given we saw no footy in person last year that our members/supporters would actually come to our fist game of the season and support our young team. I think it’s disappointing but regrettably not surprising.

I would have been hopeful that given we saw no footy in person last year that our members/supporters would actually come to our fist game of the season and support our young team. I think it’s disappointing but regrettably not surprising.
Yep, that's a pretty fair point to make. However, Sunday games at 1.10 are normally pretty poor crowd-wise, especially a likely loss against an interstate team like Port that doesn't bring many supporters along. Plus the new digital only ticketing and accompanying stuffups may have put a few off, especially some of the older folk. Hopefully people get used to the new ticketing arrangements and come along regularly again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back