Play Nice 2022 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings/Finance/Development thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Summary of the F1 AGP:

'With a peak national audience of 886,000 viewers, 729,000 national viewers tuned in to see Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc dominate the race from start to finish and extend his championship lead.

The race was on pole position claiming victory in the key advertising demographics, under 50s, 25 to 54s and 16 to 39s, as well as total people with a commercial share of 53.3%.

In Melbourne, the race commanded 70.7% of viewers in under 50s, 71.4% in 25 to 54s and 70.8% in 16 to 39s.

The April 10th race was the #1 non-news program in Melbourne.

From Friday to Sunday, Network 10’s coverage on 10 and 10 Bold reached more than 3.19 million national viewers, while 10 Play recorded more than 360,000 live streams, up 75% on 2019.

The 2022 Formula 1 Heineken Australian Grand Prix dominated social media, with more than 48,000 Twitter impressions across the weekend and views upwards of 87,000 across Network 10’s social properties. Formula 1 related terms featured in the top 10 Twitter trends in Australia across the weekend.'

Summary of the F1 AGP:

'With a peak national audience of 886,000 viewers, 729,000 national viewers tuned in to see Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc dominate the race from start to finish and extend his championship lead.

The race was on pole position claiming victory in the key advertising demographics, under 50s, 25 to 54s and 16 to 39s, as well as total people with a commercial share of 53.3%.

In Melbourne, the race commanded 70.7% of viewers in under 50s, 71.4% in 25 to 54s and 70.8% in 16 to 39s.

The April 10th race was the #1 non-news program in Melbourne.

From Friday to Sunday, Network 10’s coverage on 10 and 10 Bold reached more than 3.19 million national viewers, while 10 Play recorded more than 360,000 live streams, up 75% on 2019.

The 2022 Formula 1 Heineken Australian Grand Prix dominated social media, with more than 48,000 Twitter impressions across the weekend and views upwards of 87,000 across Network 10’s social properties. Formula 1 related terms featured in the top 10 Twitter trends in Australia across the weekend.'

and another 611,000 on Fox/Kayo

Rugby Australia reported a loss of 4.53m for 2021 on revenue of 98.583m. Broadcast revenue rose from 25 to 40m, sponsorship from 15 to 22m. RA’s revenue for 2021 increased by $32.6m or 49% primarily due to a $14m increase in broadcast revenue, a $8mincrease in match revenue and a $7m increase in sponsorship revenue.

Broadcast

In this our first year of our new relationship, viewership across all professional areas of the game was significantly increased year on year. This was evidenced by an increase of our television audience by an average of 244% on a YoY comparison.

Super Rugby AU’s weekly average cumulative audience was 207,302 across Stan Sport and 9 GEM, with weekly viewing peaking for the Super Rugby AU final. The Super Rugby Trans-Tasman competition had an weekly average cumulative audience of 177,432 across Stan Sport and 9 GEM.

The Super Rugby AU Final saw the television audience peak nationally at 464,000 during the dramatic final stages, with the average audience up 232% from the 2020 Final, which was also played between the two sides.

The two Bledisloe Cup matches played in New Zealand recorded higher audience numbers on 9 GEM in 2021 than in 2020 with 420,000 and 452,000 tuning in respectively for the games on free to air broadcast with an equal if not greater audience also tuning in on Stan Sport.

Over the rest of The Rugby Championship series played in Australia, the average cumulative audience per Test was 736,019 on Stan Sport and 9 GEM

Participation

In 2021 junior club XVs registrations were up 13% and senior club XVs registrations were up 14%, when compared to 2020. Senior club XVs registrations are still only at 71% of 2019 registrations, however junior club XVs registrations surpassed 2019 registrations by 20%

Female registrations continued their surge with an overall increase of 28% across club XVs, underpinned by development programs, new competitions and growing media interest.

Participation in club Sevens competitions declined by 16% with uncertainty around COVID-19 related restrictions in NSW and Victoria, however many tournaments were able to take place in 2021 and total registrations in that category increased by 52% in males and 57% in females

Full Report

Rugby Australia reported a loss of 4.53m for 2021 on revenue of 98.583m. Broadcast revenue rose from 25 to 40m, sponsorship from 15 to 22m. RA’s revenue for 2021 increased by $32.6m or 49% primarily due to a $14m increase in broadcast revenue, a $8mincrease in match revenue and a $7m increase in sponsorship revenue.

Broadcast

In this our first year of our new relationship, viewership across all professional areas of the game was significantly increased year on year. This was evidenced by an increase of our television audience by an average of 244% on a YoY comparison.

Super Rugby AU’s weekly average cumulative audience was 207,302 across Stan Sport and 9 GEM, with weekly viewing peaking for the Super Rugby AU final. The Super Rugby Trans-Tasman competition had an weekly average cumulative audience of 177,432 across Stan Sport and 9 GEM.

The Super Rugby AU Final saw the television audience peak nationally at 464,000 during the dramatic final stages, with the average audience up 232% from the 2020 Final, which was also played between the two sides.

The two Bledisloe Cup matches played in New Zealand recorded higher audience numbers on 9 GEM in 2021 than in 2020 with 420,000 and 452,000 tuning in respectively for the games on free to air broadcast with an equal if not greater audience also tuning in on Stan Sport.

Over the rest of The Rugby Championship series played in Australia, the average cumulative audience per Test was 736,019 on Stan Sport and 9 GEM

Participation

In 2021 junior club XVs registrations were up 13% and senior club XVs registrations were up 14%, when compared to 2020. Senior club XVs registrations are still only at 71% of 2019 registrations, however junior club XVs registrations surpassed 2019 registrations by 20%

Female registrations continued their surge with an overall increase of 28% across club XVs, underpinned by development programs, new competitions and growing media interest.

Participation in club Sevens competitions declined by 16% with uncertainty around COVID-19 related restrictions in NSW and Victoria, however many tournaments were able to take place in 2021 and total registrations in that category increased by 52% in males and 57% in females

Full Report

:thumbsu:

Given the state of the game, I was drawn to this comment from the Chairman on p5.

2021 SCORECARD
Given the instability of the 2021 reporting year, this Annual Report does not include a Corporate Scorecard and the corresponding scores. Despite this, our strategic vision of ‘inspiring all Australians to enjoy our game’ remained, and I am pleased that the commentary in this report reflects our progress in achieving this. As you know, our game has a powerful heartbeat across the country, and the administration will continue to work tirelessly to grow the game.

For a league that was dead 5 or so years ago, the NBL is in a healthy place.

seems like a healthy crowd in Sydney/NSW for the 2 finals there. The JJs have had multiple sellouts. They need to increase TV ratings but the crowd aspect seems solid. Probably a league that could look to expand again in the near future.

Suprised this hasnt been post about yet. PNG putting in a serious bid to become the 18th team in the NRL. Would be a unique club in the Australian domestic scene if it happens. A team from a vastly different culture and part of the world.

It is also something I think the Australian Government would be very interested in helping, as PNG is our most important neighbour and keeping them close to us is of strategic importance.

Can see it happening in the future.

Suprised this hasnt been post about yet. PNG putting in a serious bid to become the 18th team in the NRL. Would be a unique club in the Australian domestic scene if it happens. A team from a vastly different culture and part of the world.

It is also something I think the Australian Government would be very interested in helping, as PNG is our most important neighbour and keeping them close to us is of strategic importance.

Can see it happening in the future.
Would make some sense if the PNG Hunters had dominated the Queensland Cup for a decade but they have only won one title, in 2017. There are a shitload of issues to overcome to get that proposal up I reckon. But 2030 would be the earliest they could solve them by.

Would make some sense if the PNG Hunters had dominated the Queensland Cup for a decade but they have only won one title, in 2017. There are a shitload of issues to overcome to get that proposal up I reckon. But 2030 would be the earliest they could solve them by.
It would depend who's going to bankroll them i would have thought
It is my opinion that who ever takes over from Peter V'landys could well look to put a team in PNG and another NRL club in New Zealand on the South Island. In the meantime i expect under Peter V'landys watch there will be another NRL club in Queensland after the Dolphin's.

It is my opinion that who ever takes over from Peter V'landys could well look to put a team in PNG and another NRL club in New Zealand on the South Island. In the meantime i expect under Peter V'landys watch there will be another NRL club in Queensland after the Dolphin's.
Expansion in Qld has always made sense - especially in Brisbane but News Ltd / News Corp vetoed that post Super League war when it had veto power. The fact it owns 68.8% of the Broncos was just a little conflict of interest.

Arko and Quaylie basically introduced the South Queensland Crushers to piss off Porky Morgan and his fellow shareholders and then News Ltd. helped to destroy the opposition. Not sure exactly when News Ltd became the majority shareholder of the Broncos but reckon it was before the 1997 Super League season.

The population of Qld is basically the population of Sydney so if Sydney can support 9 teams it makes sense that Qld has 5 or 6 teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are a lot of non money issues to get over, before considering the financial aspect.

Took in Sam Kerrs goals to help Chelsea 3peat the WSL. Bit surprised by the small crowd.

they play out of a small stadium

I dont know if it was only open to Chelsea members either. Chelsea can't sell tickets last time I heard.

Newcastle United women just played their first match at St James Park, the men's home ground, and got 22K for that special occasion. Barcelona is the leading light in women's football. They have gotten 2 crowds over 90K this year.

they play out of a small stadium

I dont know if it was only open to Chelsea members either. Chelsea can't sell tickets last time I heard.

Newcastle United women just played their first match at St James Park, the men's home ground, and got 22K for that special occasion. Barcelona is the leading light in women's football. They have gotten 2 crowds over 90K this year.

'Tonight, she will play at Wembley in her second straight FA Cup final in front of over 50,000 people.'

Sam Kerr has scored two goals at Wembley to win Chelsea the Women's FA Cup, repeating her success in the 2021 final when she also struck twice.

The match was watched by 49,094, a new record for a Women's FA Cup final.

Women's FA Cup final​

Chelsea 3​

(Sam Kerr 33, 99; Erin Cuthbert 63)

Manchester City 2​

(Lauren Hemp 42, Hayley Raso 89)

Wembley Stadium - Crowd 49.094

The fact that the A-league still does not have a Canberra side is a perfect illustration of its failed expansion policy. Just adding new clubs in big city doesn't work if that market is not really interested.

NBL expansion seems a lot better organised. Have no doubt that Larry will get his wish and that the new Canberra team will be another success.

The fact that the A-league still does not have a Canberra side is a perfect illustration of its failed expansion policy. Just adding new clubs in big city doesn't work if that market is not really interested.

NBL expansion seems a lot better organised. Have no doubt that Larry will get his wish and that the new Canberra team will be another success.

As the owner of the entire league, Kestlemen can do what he wants without having to worry about internal politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back