Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The Australian Water Polo League (AWL) kicked off on Australia Day.
It’s one of the most important competitions for top-line players and aspiring stars of water polo this year and it will be live streamed thanks to a deal between News Corp and Water Polo Australia.
News Corp is committed to live streaming 88 matches across the tournament on all of its mastheads.

Interesting development for smaller sports & imho more about the News mastheads than anything else for News.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
that 2005 socceroos game holds up well, considering population changes since then!
nothing will reach the Hewitt v Safin match...ever. (assuming TV ratings continue to fall and that we have other avenues to watch live sport, such as the streaming)

That was a crazy number of people watching.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
nothing will reach the Hewitt v Safin match...ever. (assuming TV ratings continue to fall and that we have other avenues to watch live sport, such as the streaming)

That was a crazy number of people watching.
Probably not. The population has grown by 30% since then too and we can’t get close.
I remember Blue Heelers pulling over 2mil weekly back I the 90’s too.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I love my state. I love my sport. I love "big-time" events. But I find this laughable and a complete waste of money, just to get the "bid" to a respectable level.

On quarterly sporting events/games, the Olympic Winter games are breaking all records in the worst possible ways over in the US

Winter Olympics ratings are as expected, with NBC suffering sharp viewership declines for each of the first four nights of the Beijing Games.

Sunday’s primetime coverage of the Beijing Winter Olympics averaged a 6.0 rating and 11.0 million viewers on NBC alone and 13.7 million across NBC’s various platforms, down 52%, 51% and 47% respectively from the comparable night in PyeongChang four years ago (12.4, 22.7M, 26.0M across
all platforms).
But I should add that
As should go without saying for an Olympics, NBC’s primetime windows have been the most-watched programs of each night and easily topped all of television in the key adult demographics.

I love my state. I love my sport. I love "big-time" events. But I find this laughable and a complete waste of money, just to get the "bid" to a respectable level.

On quarterly sporting events/games, the Olympic Winter games are breaking all records in the worst possible ways over in the US

But I should add that

Might be a way to justify spending the $$ for building a new stadium for the new AFL team? Maybe even with a retractable roof on it.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Might be a way to justify spending the $$ for building a new stadium for the new AFL team? Maybe even with a retractable roof on it.
I had heard that recently the Comm games commitee asked Melbourne to host the games due to lack of interest anywhere else.

More specifically on your post, is there really a need for a new stadium? Bellreive/York Park seem adequate. Perhaps there is a case for a new stand on the lawn area of Bellreive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
The NFL to play 5 regular season games outside the US in 2022. They are certainly very serious about expanding the NFL brand worldwide.
I suspect that the next NFL franchise will be in London.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The Super Bowl was a great game from start to finish except the Half time show which was sh*te, not surprised at the ratings.

The Seven Network’s live and free coverage of Super Bowl LVI reached 1.87 million people nationally on Monday, also recording its biggest television audience since 2016.
7Plus’ live stream of America’s biggest sporting event dominated the previous audience record set in 2021, up 45% year-on-year with 11.04 million minutes streamed.

The Super Bowl streamed more live minutes than any other program yesterday with 7Plus recording a 58% commercial share in live streaming on Monday.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
The Seven Network’s live and free coverage of Super Bowl LVI reached 1.87 million people nationally on Monday, also recording its biggest television audience since 2016.
7Plus’ live stream of America’s biggest sporting event dominated the previous audience record set in 2021, up 45% year-on-year with 11.04 million minutes streamed.

The Super Bowl streamed more live minutes than any other program yesterday with 7Plus recording a 58% commercial share in live streaming on Monday.

Possibly looking at a figure of around 15 million outside of the US and i would guess around 100 million in the US.
It will certainly be interesting when the figures are released.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
SevenNFLrelease.PNG
SevenNFLrelease2.PNG

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Watching the BBL* & the talk around number of teams, games played, & including depth of talent. Relevant to AFL/NRL that both face similar issues post covid ( whatever that means).

*The BBL needs fewer matches – but more teamsfewer-matches-but-more-teams/

BBL is a wholly different beast to both the AFL and NRL. I dont see the relevance at all.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
BBL is a wholly different beast to both the AFL and NRL. I dont see the relevance at all.

How to max the media rights v. what best for the future of the game/sport.

Fewer matches/more teams is ever present when discussing AFL footy, e.g play each time once in some bastardised version of the 1920s concept of H&A.
The idea that 2nd tier players are magically of AFL standard by the stroke of a pen.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
How to max the media rights v. what best for the future of the game/sport.

Fewer matches/more teams is ever present when discussing AFL footy, e.g play each time once in some bastardised version of the 1920s concept of H&A.
The idea that 2nd tier players are magically of AFL standard by the stroke of a pen.

The first is an AFLPA pipedream and the second is only ever spoken of on Bigfooty.
Neither idea is seriously canvassed at the top of the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back