Preview 2022 Rd 11 Carlton vs Collingwood Sunday May 29 3:20PM AEST @MCG - Final Team Post #1018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad Pies won. At the end of the day, it's a game and you want to have as much fun as possible. That comes with having big games against your rivals. TBH, I don't mind the Pies at all these days. Aside from JDG, they're a very likeable team (the young guys haven't been there long enough to bother me yet!). They've got nothing on the Bombers. In saying that, you only need to overhear a couple of Pies fans speaking shite about Carlton to want to smash them into smithereens. They've got plenty of quality players. I love Crisp, Elliott, Moore, Pendles etc - great, fair players.

Anyway, I've been critical of Weiters this year, but geez he's lifted the last couple of weeks and it's made such a big difference to the team. It's quite amazing the difference his performance makes. When he goes for his marks everything is far more settled across the board. When he goes the fist when he should be going the mark, things feel far more of a shambles. He just has to keep backing himself and going for his marks.

I don't think LOB is best 22, but he's not getting dropped so no point going into that. I prefer Cotts and Newnes as our wingers. Cotts has improved, without question.

I'm critical of Harry and I find it 'interesting' to say the least that we've put in our most consistent performances (across the board) with him out of the team. When he returns, we gain something but we lose something (ie, our enormous forward pressure). Hopefully it's something that he is being spoken to about. I'm not suggesting he's not a potential weapon, he clearly is.

We're playing so much better the last two weeks than we were prior to that, imo. The team is really starting to believe and play as a team.

Without injury or COVID, I can see the team remaining unchanged. Carroll stays for mine. He isn't as great of a kick as people thought - still awesome when he hits them sweet but has a tendency to hit the outside of his boot, but he is a difference in the contest. He's going to be a real player for us.

I just love having 22 players giving 100% and we're pretty close to that atm.

Last edited:
They handled freo alright.

Saw bits and pieces, was a real surprise.
A look at the stats suggest Collingwood brought serious heat to the contest and were extremely stingy defensively, only allowing 14 scores from 46 inside 50s, and laying 89 tackles (15 of those inside 50).

Not enough love for Fisher. First three weeks was getting s**t on relentlessly despite clutch winning touches in close games and has basically exploded the last few weeks...

18 disposals and 2.1 vs Sydney
18, 2.0 vs Gws
23 and 2.2 vs Adelaide
21 and 2 goal assists vs North

All with high tog and high pressure acts, metres gained and score involvements. He's had a hell of a month.

Not enough love for Fisher. First three weeks was getting s**t on relentlessly despite clutch winning touches in close games and has basically exploded the last few weeks...

18, 2.0 vs Gws
23 and 2.2 vs Adelaide

All with high tog and high pressure acts, metres gained and score involvements. He's had a hell of a month.

Plenty from me I made a comment last year (or this) can’t remember,that if he stays fit he ‘could’ be AA.

Has X factor and finally found the right position.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d be going in un-changed. Give Martin another week off + the bye to make sure he is 100% right in 3 weeks’ time.

If Cox is out injured, this will help us in the middle of the ground which is where we can get some ascendancy on them.

I can’t see their forward line overly threatening our backline.

We should win this, however these games are always a danger game. Need to come switched on and ready to play.

Blues by 5 goals.

Their forward is lacking a key tall but is full of guys who can find the goals.

If Martin is right to go, we have to bring him in IMO. He’s another marking target which we’ll need against Moore/Howe/Roughead and he plays well in congestion (the pies game plan is based on pressure). He also matches up well against this mob. Would imagine Motlop would be the unlucky one to miss due to being the most recent inclusion and a lack of experience.

If we do turn up with the same attitude that we’ve had the last two weeks we’ll win. Although we need to be careful, the Pies list is basically at full strength bar Grundy and has plenty of experience. We should however shred their midfield which will go a long way to winning.

It’s a vital game which could set up the rest of our season. We should beat Essendon after the bye and then hopefully McKay back for the rest of the season.

Virus Free, 9 day break, against our biggest rivals in a blockbuster infront of 80K at the G ahead of a bye! They're going to give it their all.

Can't bloody wait!

FYI, we will smash them.

Freo is a turnover rebound gamestyle team. That suits the Pies as they play better against turnover teams because their game style is manic.

Pies struggle against Clearance strong teams as we saw against Dogs.

They've been very weak in hardball and clearances in recent weeks.... as Sydney were and we showed what we can do to teams who are weak in that stat.

The challenge again is going to be how well we excute our energy conservative game style. Our defence is holding strong but need to keep working on and improving that.

Last edited:
I thought I would make an Adam Saad appreciation post. He has got to be one of the most underrated players in the league. He is never talked about as an AA chance in the media but is a deadset gun.

Never loses a 1v1, never loses his feet and is class with ball in hand and decision making. Another added bonus is his ability to always be fit to play. Rarely ever gets injured. Show the man some love!

Anyway let’s smash these Black and White feathered f***s!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I remember going to Vic Park in '78 as a youngster with my aunty and getting spat on.
Getting verbally abused as we walked out of the ground. Hopped on one of the old red
rattlers, and at Richmond station I put my scarf across the window, and a filth supporter
came from nowhere, nearly putting his fist through the window.
Grand final day '79 I was standing on beer cans to see the game, at the end of the game and
while I was singing the club song, a filth supporter kicked the cans out from under me.
Ended up in the sick bay at the G with a split forehead and a huge shiner.

Dislike can grow on you, sometimes, it is thrust upon you.
But I can tell you I still have my "I hate Collingwood" and "Umpires Barrack for Collingwood" Badges
that I used to pin on my duffle coat. It's time to dust them off and wear them while watching the game this week me thinks👍

Last edited:
I love stock. He has some campaigner about him. In a very very good way.
FYI Ha’Way the lads. Sunderland back in the championship’
Got a fine for the melee this week. We really need to pass the hat around to raise some cash to help him pay these fines. If only so he isn't shy next time round.

So glad Pies won. At the end of the day, it's a game and you want to have as much fun as possible. That comes with having big games against your rivals. TBH, I don't mind the Pies at all these days. Aside from JDG, they're a very likeable team (the young guys haven't been there long enough to bother me yet!). They've got nothing on the Bombers. In saying that, you only need to overhear a couple of Pies fans speaking shite about Carlton to want to smash them into smithereens. They've got plenty of quality players. I love Crisp, Elliott, Moore, Pendles etc - great, fair players.

Anyway, I've been critical of Weiters this year, but geez he's lifted the last couple of weeks and it's made such a big difference to the team. It's quite amazing the difference his performance makes. When he goes for his marks everything is far more settled across the board. When he goes the fist when he should be going the mark, things feel far more of a shambles. He just has to keep backing himself and going for his marks.

I don't think LOB is best 22, but he's not getting dropped so no point going into that. I prefer Cotts and Newnes as our wingers. Cotts has improved, without question.

I'm critical of Harry and I find it 'interesting' to say the least that we've put in our most consistent performances (across the board) with him out of the team. When he returns, we gain something but we lose something (ie, our enormous forward pressure). Hopefully it's something that he is being spoken to about. I'm not suggesting he's not a potential weapon.

We're playing so much better the last two weeks than we were prior to that, imo. The team is really starting to believe and play as a team.

Without injury or COVID, I can see the team remaining unchanged. Carroll stays for mine. He isn't as great of a kick that people thought - still awesome when he hits them sweet but has a tendency to hit the outside of his boot, but he is a real difference in the contest. He's going to be a real player for us.

I just love having 22 players giving 100% and we're pretty close to that atm.
I agree with a lot of what you said but the bolded is just rubbish. Our forward pressure hasn’t changed markedly with A COLEMAN MEDALLIST who can play up the ground and clunk marks, since he has missed. Potential weapon? He is a Coleman medalist!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm critical of Harry and I find it 'interesting' to say the least that we've put in our most consistent performances (across the board) with him out of the team. When he returns, we gain something but we lose something (ie, our enormous forward pressure). Hopefully it's something that he is being spoken to about. I'm not suggesting he's not a potential weapon.
again please?

P Dow, VFL reserves, 0 tackles...
Needs to lift in this department Rev, there’s chasing down pressure and then there’s chasing down pressure..
I’m one of his greatest believers, but he hasn’t responded in the way I’ve hoped in actually chasing and running down opposition players, he’s not ******* hunting down at all it’s disappointing…

The Collingwood game is going to be crucial to our season physically and mentally allowing us to freshen up fir the second half
be great for me mentally.

pies matchup well against us with no mckay.

howe n moore need to be kept accountable or will eat up the long entries.

if we can somehow still find short targets or bring ball to ground they have no answer for our small fleet though.

Really tenpted to rotate 8 forwards through there when mckay is fit

Charlie Harry
JSOS Martin
Fisher Durdin Owies Motlop

maybe leaves us short on midfield rotations haha

Your analysis about the Coleman medallist a 204cm mobile goal kicking sensation....& a Once in a generation player...IS JUST POOR LOGIC!.... To win a Grand Final you've need serious weapons and a point of difference.... Carlton's two Twin Towers.... Plus TDK if you become second Ruck and resting forward once Pittonet is back... Is going to be a serious point-of-difference and match winning advantage for us that opposition are going to be on find impossible to counter
You can still have pressure.... But you need to win the game with serious weapons against the very best teams.... Given that we will have to beat three of the top teams to win a Grand Final..... I reckon it could only be a pessimistic carlton-supported that could be critical of Harry McKay.... Who has never played better than this year.... And note that the last two weeks he did play injured & still persisted with a sore knee.... Before deciding to correct it surgically

Last edited:

18, 2.0 vs Gws
23 and 2.2 vs Adelaide

playing one of the hardest positions to perform consistently, very consistently

Your analysis about the Coleman medallist a 204cm mobile goal kicking sensation....& a Once in a generation player...IS JUST POOR LOGIC!.... To win a Grand Final you've need serious weapons and a point of difference.... Carlton's two Twin Towers.... Plus TDK if you become second Ruck and resting forward once Pittonet is back... Is going to be a serious point-of-difference and match winning advantage for us that opposition are going to be on find impossible to counter
You can still have pressure.... But you need to win the game with serious weapons against the very best teams.... Given that we will have to beat three of the top teams to win a Grand Final..... I reckon it could only be a pessimistic carlton-supported that could be critical of Harry McKay.... Who has never played better than this year.... And note that the last two weeks he did play injured is there a persistent with a sore knee.... Before deciding to correct it surgically

I'd be interested to see Pitto in and TDK more as a permanent forward, but that's not happening anytime soon. It's a difficult one to assess (H in vs H out), but I don't think any player should be allowed to get away without giving their best effort every week and it's pretty obvious that H, to this point, doesn't give us that - eg, loves playing for a free in a stationary contest against strong opponents instead of fighting for the win, which is very different to a JSOS, TDK, Charlie who hate being beaten in any contest. I have acknowledged that H has made steps this year - esp after the Hawks game. I thought it was a turning point, and a coming of age season, but it hasn't played out that way. In saying that, I think we are our best shot with him in the team bc he is a point of difference, though I'm not certain. The thing is, he has the potential to be THE point of difference but that's not what we're getting out of him yet. At the same time, I'd say we've had our most consistent performances the last two weeks - how much of that is to do with H in vs H out, I'm not sure.

Thinking of H reminds me of the old 'a champion team will beat a team of champions'. He seems like a genuinely good dude, and I am keen to see him on the really big stage - sometimes that's what it takes to get the best out of certain players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back