Preview 2022 Rd 11 Carlton vs Collingwood Sunday May 29 3:20PM AEST @MCG - Final Team Post #1018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I
I remember going to Vic Park in '78 as a youngster with my aunty and getting spat on.
Getting verbally abused as we walked out of the ground. Hopped on one of the old red
rattlers, and at Richmond station I put my scarf across the window, and a filth supporter
came from nowhere, nearly putting his fist through the window.
Grand final day '79 I was standing on beer cans to see the game, at the end of the game and
while I was singing the club song, a filth supporter kicked the cans out from under me.
Ended up in the sick bay at the G with a split forehead and a huge shiner.

Dislike can grow on you, sometimes, it is thrust upon you.
But I can tell you I still have my "I hate Collingwood" and "Umpires Barrack for Collingwood" Badges
that I used to pin on my duffle coat. It's time to dust them off and wear them while watching the game this week me thinks👍
I think we might be of a similar vintage. Never quite got spat on but it was certainly very hostile and aggressive at Vic Park. Train rides on the Epping line had to be endured. We lived close to Merri Station in the late 70s, so it was mercifully short. I seem to recall the Blue Harris trains on that line at the time.
During big games at the G, fights in the crowd routinely erupted. It was genuinely menacing for a small kid to witness.
No love for the pies.
Smash them baggers!

I'd be interested to see Pitto in and TDK more as a permanent forward, but that's not happening anytime soon. It's a difficult one to assess (H in vs H out), but I don't think any player should be allowed to get away without giving their best effort every week and it's pretty obvious that H, to this point, doesn't give us that - eg, loves playing for a free in a stationary contest against strong opponents instead of fighting for the win, which is very different to a JSOS, TDK, Charlie who hate being beaten in any contest. I have acknowledged that H has made steps this year - esp after the Hawks game. I thought it was a turning point, and a coming of age season, but it hasn't played out that way. In saying that, I think we are our best shot with him in the team bc he is a point of difference, though I'm not certain. The thing is, he has the potential to be THE point of difference but that's not what we're getting out of him yet. At the same time, I'd say we've had our most consistent performances the last two weeks - how much of that is to do with H in vs H out, I'm not sure.

Thinking of H reminds me of the old 'a champion team will beat a team of champions'. He seems like a genuinely good dude, and I am keen to see him on the really big stage - sometimes that's what it takes to get the best out of certain players.
You've gone way too strong on this but I share some of your concerns.

Don't have the stats but H seems to be either mark it or be out marked. Charlie either marks it or brings the ball to ground, allowing the smalls to go to work.

I have been critical of Harry staying in the contest if he doesn't mark the footy. Certainly we're keeping the ball better inside 50 in the last fortnight but it's hard to know if that's attributable to an increased intensity and confidence, Motlop into the side or Harry out of it.

I thought I would make an Adam Saad appreciation post. He has got to be one of the most underrated players in the league. He is never talked about as an AA chance in the media but is a deadset gun.

Never loses a 1v1, never loses his feet and is class with ball in hand and decision making. Another added bonus is his ability to always be fit to play. Rarely ever gets injured. Show the man some love!

Anyway let’s smash these Black and White feathered f***s!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He's been phenomenonal this season. Stepped up in a huge way and refuses to lose a 1v1, even if he's way out of position.

Should be in the equation along with Doc for an AA at half back.

I thought I would make an Adam Saad appreciation post. He has got to be one of the most underrated players in the league. He is never talked about as an AA chance in the media but is a deadset gun.

Never loses a 1v1, never loses his feet and is class with ball in hand and decision making. Another added bonus is his ability to always be fit to play. Rarely ever gets injured. Show the man some love!

Anyway let’s smash these Black and White feathered f***s!

Not seeing many Essendon fans talking about how Hind is better anyway and that Saad doesn't want to defend or else he has a sook anymore....

Don't have the stats but H seems to be either mark it or be out marked. Charlie either marks it or brings the ball to ground, allowing the smalls to go to work.

I have been critical of Harry staying in the contest if he doesn't mark the footy. Certainly we're keeping the ball better inside 50 in the last fortnight but it's hard to know if that's attributable to an increased intensity and confidence, Motlop into the side or Harry out of it.
What's crazy his I don't think H has been fit for most of last year and this year, yet has still been this effective.

From basically mid year last year he was nursing shoulder injuries and early this year got a knock to his knee and has been taped up all year and has now had surgery on it.

It's worth noting that before the knee knock he had 2 massive chasedown tackles. I don't think he's that much of a liability.

He's been phenomenonal this season. Stepped up in a huge way and refuses to lose a 1v1, even if he's way out of position.

Should be in the equation along with Doc for an AA at half back.

I consider Saad a top 5 player at Carlton. He is genuinely that great. There is no one else like him in the competition.

Martin was originally 1-2 weeks meaning there was a possibility he was available last week, he should have had enough time off, he comes in for mine, was in great form before injury. You just make sure the Sub is someone who could replace him if there is doubt. Newnes or Carroll as sub for example.

Watching Collingwood play Fremantle, I wouldn't say they have a lot of individual stars but they have enough quality there. Their biggest quality in that game was their sustained effort. They competed at a high intensity for 4 quarters. You would not want to drop off against them if they do this against us. Freo playing like they expected to win, Collingwood playing hard footy. We need to be up for the fight in this. They are a smaller side, a lot of youth some old wise heads, speed and agility could bother us a little. It will be size and strength V Speed and agility.

The stats. They are mid table for disposals, we are first so I expect we again win a lot of the footy. They are first for tackles and we are down the bottom, but that's more about our ball winning ability, Melbourne are down the bottom for tackles as well. They are a low clearance team so we should have them there. I expect us to be first hands on the ball at the contest a lot but I expect the tackling and pressure to be good from them which has worried us in the past.

I think if we can be exposed in the midfield it's probably by defensive minded football which I saw from them this week. Quick around the contests, quick on the outside, agile, lots of tackling and desire and speed in general. IMO this is what tests us out, their ability to get to the man and ball at speed and make contests and apply pressure. We have to hope that we overwhelm them with our size, strength and ability to win the footy and with the talls we have. IMO they'll make us earn it.

McKay is always a big out for us, we have him in this week it nullifies their intercepting game. Do we use Silvagni in the ruck more to keep De Koning forward more? We could expose them with two genuine tall forwards.

If their effort is off, we win easily. If they bring the same heat they did V Freo then it's game on. Not expecting this to be an easy game at all. IMO this will be tougher than Sydney.

We need to get on top of them early. Effort based teams need to have a sniff. Problem with us is our reputation makes it hard to do this to team, even when we blow them away teams must still feel in the game. Still the way to take the wind out of their sail is on the score board.

It's a long break for us, we should be fresh so we should be up for a hard fought contest.

That's my point about it being a difficult one to assess.

And I agree he is terrible at staying in the contest as well. I reckon he'll get better as this year progresses now that finals are so likely and we're actually battling for a top 4 or possibly even a top 2 berth. The stakes are so much higher. I hope so anyway.

That's my point about it being a difficult one to assess.

And I agree he is terrible at staying in the contest as well. I reckon he'll get better as this year progresses now that finals are so likely and we're actually battling for a top 4 or possibly even a top 2 berth. The stakes are so much higher. I hope so anyway.
To counter the inside 50 pressure, when we were backs to the wall in the 3rd and 4th we missed having the down the line target - that is until TDK did it in the 4th, which was unsurprisingly where we looked defensively sound despite the Swans pressure.

Having TDK & McKay as multiple targets would be immense for the holding periods of up and down the line kicks. Arguably less inside 50 pressure for arguably more stability when holding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this talk about H being out and our increased intensity - frankly you can't say that there is a large correlation as there are multiple factors. Pitto being out has caused TDK to spend more time up the ground effectively opening up an additional small forward spot to apply pressure. I think we are also kicking the ball in deeper more consistently these last couple weeks which makes it easier to lock in, which is most likely because we want our smalls to be more effective now that we only have 1 genuine tall down there. Martin tends to drift in and out of games, so him being out it could be said that we now have more consistent pressure. Sure, H isn't as manic as some, but at the same time there have been multiple occasions where i will put on a 100m run down the wing to chase opposition. Also, I would much rather he waste his energy giving 4-5 repeat leads for his mids than chasing someone he most likely wont impact.

I consider Saad a top 5 player at Carlton. He is genuinely that great. There is no one else like him in the competition.

Huge call - he's pushing out a genuine star to get top 5. I've got him around 7th or 8th.

Also, Freo have a couple of extremely tough games. Would be fantastic to get a bit of a gap between us and them after the bye rounds. Can cement top 4 ideally.

Not really sure what to take away from the pies win. The ground was like a swamp, and for some reason Freo tried to play slick while the pies got the ball forward at every opportunity - as you do in wet weather footy.

I feel this game will go as Curnow goes; if he kicks 3-4 and gets the ball to ground for our smalls to crumb, we’ll get the points.

If Moore and Howe intercept everything and slingshot out, it will be a tough afternoon.

What an absolute s**t show trying to upgrade to reserved seats....
The barcodes we got at the start of the year only work for home games, and there are different ones for away games.
And the only way to get hold of them is to ring the club, have them generate it for you, and write it down
Somehow I feel that the old fashioned way of having a physical card to scan was just easier for everybody, but what do I know.

Huge call - he's pushing out a genuine star to get top 5. I've got him around 7th or 8th.

Also, Freo have a couple of extremely tough games. Would be fantastic to get a bit of a gap between us and them after the bye rounds. Can cement top 4 ideally.
He's around the mark. He's the best loose ball get player in the club.

What an absolute s**t show trying to upgrade to reserved seats....
The barcodes we got at the start of the year only work for home games, and there are different ones for away games.
And the only way to get hold of them is to ring the club, have them generate it for you, and write it down
Somehow I feel that the old fashioned way of having a physical card to scan was just easier for everybody, but what do I know.
what thhe

I’m actually hoping Freo wins their games against the Demons and Lions so that we can start to push for top 2 instead of merely cementing top 4. Trying to avoid a final in Brisbane would be nice. But of course we have to win a lot of games first to get that opportunity.

I’m actually hoping Freo wins their games against the Demons and Lions so that we can start to push for top 2 instead of merely cementing top 4. Trying to avoid a final in Brisbane would be nice. But of course we have to win a lot of games first to get that opportunity.

Though I get the sentiment, one thing I think I have learnt is that you can't rely on other teams winning and losing to determine a finals position.

We havent made it to the finals on our own steam since 2011 (granted 2013 is one of the best finals wins I can recall in my time given the context and the lols)

Meanwhile I'm worried a good kid will slip through the MSD and Freo will now get him before our pick. We should have delayed this surge a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back