Preview 2022 Rd 7 Carlton vs North Melbourne Sat 30th April 7.25PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Update Post #956

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
reckon our mids have become a bit too mesmerized by the Charlie-Harry combo and ignore the other 4 forwards!
The whole "Aim for the big guys even if the little guys are in the clear" thing. Hopefully the coaches will have been working to clean that up.

Hello there

My point about Newnes is sound: he doesn't hit elite speed often enough, hence the statement 'the right speed/endurance mix'. Also, who wants an attacking wing that can't actually make many elite F50 entries to thread basic zones? He has all the attributes to be an elite kick, and to be a clearance player, but he's shocking at both.

10 years ago he would have caused problems through his endurance base, but these days he's highly exploitable. It can be a data-driven game at times, and the game knowledge that's arisen out of that has completely contained the easy opportunities he used to thrive on.

Back over to Carroll...

Weird how that reads exactly like Fisher. The coach review video goes on to highlight his pressure in the forward half.

If Setterfield gets fitness and form back, I think he's pressuring Fisher's spot, because he needs a pretty substantial mid/fwd split.

We have a wing tuck in after the bounce, leaving Fisher to come more into the midfield mix. Given Walsh is horrible at the centre bounce, what's the problem?

Still building form in the VFL after looking likely in the pre-season. Still yet to be used in the midfield.

They were checking Hewett pulled up ok the following day from training, makes sense.

That explains why he's missing from the VFL list.

Guess they're investigating if they need to exclude anyone else under covid protocol?
I’d have no issue with that that but that doesn’t solve the wing issue.

I am excited about today, as I see one of the pieces in the jigsaw of assembling a quality finals contending side of the future making their debut today - Jack Carroll. Still some more pieces to add (as documented elsewhere). But looking forward to today. Bounce the ball please....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plow or Kemp

In this instance, Plow.

JW has no experienced big guys to give him a hand atm.

Ed: & with the medical sub, can’t see why that player can’t be automatically activated at 3qt.

Seems ridiculous a guy has to sit on the pine all day waiting for a team mate to break his leg/get knocked out & not get on the park.

Last edited:
No doubt Norf see this as a big rivalry game. We just need to go out and do our job.

It's not even as big of a rivalry these days as Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods and Juddernaut08

Hello there

My point about Newnes is sound: he doesn't hit elite speed often enough, hence the statement 'the right speed/endurance mix'. Also, who wants an attacking wing that can't actually make many elite F50 entries to thread basic zones? He has all the attributes to be an elite kick, and to be a clearance player, but he's shocking at both.

10 years ago he would have caused problems through his endurance base, but these days he's highly exploitable. It can be a data-driven game at times, and the game knowledge that's arisen out of that has completely contained the easy opportunities he used to thrive on.

Back over to Carroll...

Weird how that reads exactly like Fisher. The coach review video goes on to highlight his pressure in the forward half.

Unlike last year, I didn't have Newnes in our best 22 this year, but his inclusion is more of an indication, of the lack of consistency and quality of others to keep him out of the side and the unwillingness to play the likes of Walsh, Cerra or even Hewett more through the wings. But to state that Newnes isn't quick or doesn't have the endurance for AFL levels is incorrect as the facts state otherwise. He doesn't stagnate ball movement either, as we all know he recorded equal game high in score assists 2 games ago. Newnes is a role player, who is more consistent and efficient to any other player we have currently used in that role this year

With Carroll coming into the side, hopefully we see the likes of Walsh and Cerra spending more time outside the contest. As stated, Carroll won't take Fisher's role and that is exactly what has unfolded. Fisher is a HHF, that can rotate around the fringes of a stoppage, Carroll is a balanced mid that can rest forward, moreso similar to Cerra

I understand you have a preference of who you want in the side, I do too, but it has to be based on consistent output, as it has played out under Voss

Is it strange that reserved seat tickets are hard to get by for tonight's game?

Perhaps they are taking the longterm view
I would have actually done a similar thing with Kemp to encourage his attacking game with the intention of probably sending him back at some point or developing him as a midfielder. So I can see where we are coming from, just I think that the time is probably now to go back to defence and that's down to our needs.

throw the ball up just won't be the same......
Yes, does not have the same ring to it ....however......It will not need to be RECALLED which is a pain in the buttocks .

Sooner it happens the better IMO.

Or as I heard BIG BOY Mc Evoy say the other day..... even if bounce goes skewiff, play on. Who woulda thought. A ruckman with nous. :p
Rub of the green , funny shape ball does funny things all the time

Plow for med sub. Want to see Kemp play down back in the VFL. Has the natural skill to play down back and all going well will be our long term interceptor back there (although because of a lack of talls in the VFL he will be forced to play 1v1, which is not a bad thing).

Otherwise Cotts as the sub.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back