Autopsy 2022 Round 5 Heart attack Blues hold on again

Who played well for the Blues in Round 5 vs Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

But it doesn’t make sense based on games where they have played well together. Why not look to players who have never impacted to the same degree as Kennedy? Cottrell or Newnes? Both weren’t bad but both were not close to our top 7-8 players…something Kennedy has achieved.

Id drop Setterfield before Kennedy on exposed form. Kennedy has lined up on the wing before. So there is three players. I really want Setterfield to do well and despite some good defensive efforts is just in the wrong position to shine. Setterfield has done enough to hold his spot but if it’s not newnes or Cottrell then it is him based on the simple fact he hasn’t had a huge impact on any one game. Hate to do this to Setters, but his two key moments to kick a goal he fluffed. Remember he was 20 metres clear in fwd 50 and fell over trying to mark. Then his poor kick in the square.
Ok, if you genuinely think that Kennedy is a better wing option than Setterfield that's fine, and we can agree to disagree.

I think some people are confusing the impact players make in the guts compared to on the wing.

I'll also say that I haven't been set on 4 mids rather than 5, but after a 5 game sample size, 4 seems to be a better fit.

Kemp and Stockers' worst is better than Parkes, Newnes, Cottrel best. Put Kemp and Stocker back. Move Saad and Docherty to the wings
The comment about Kemp and Stockers worst is not true - both were very poor yesterday - and I’m sure if Ports equivalent to Sydney Stack had kicked 3 on Stocker and we lost in the 1s you’d be calling for his head.

The other change you are suggesting is a massive structural change which is fraught when a team is trying to build continuity not to mention the players have been trained and coached all pre season to play in certain positions.

The coaches did the right thing rewarding good 2s form so supporters will have to accept it even when it’s less popular types like Parks, Newnes and Cotts.

Of course I’m happy with 4 wins from 5 games. But 3 of those games have come with second half collapses. As in free falling without a parachute.

But I think I’ve misread what’s been going on. Apparently, it’s all ok and nothing to worry about. This is the new normal; play like gods for one half then fall asleep at the wheel. And we’re not supposed to talk about it because we got 4 points.

When will it be ok to talk about the second half collapses?
When we lose them. We will be better down the road for all experiences.

Noticed in the second half our mids were still getting first hands on the ball alot...but their pressure was far better and they were able to hassle our mids into turning it over and counter. They were onto our handball game by pressuring the receiver.

Like the Hawks second half, we started to break down across half forward as our entries were starting to become hack kicks to outnumbered forwards where they were damaging on the counter.
This is where we need to grow, the new clubs in the bag. We have instituted this contested game, we now need to be able to win the turnover game. Control the ball when we invariably lose momentum, it happens to all teams, and minimise turnovers and their cost. We also need to force more turnovers and create scoring opportunities from the. We are poor without the ball at the minute.

Ok, if you genuinely think that Kennedy is a better wing option than Setterfield that's fine, and we can agree to disagree.

I think some people are confusing the impact players make in the guts compared to on the wing.

I'll also say that I haven't been set on 4 mids rather than 5, but after a 5 game sample size, 4 seems to be a better fit.

I think our second half problems have nothing to do with Kennedy playing or not playing. The problems are elsewhere.

Kennedy is you scape goating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teague played his favourites, regardless of form, and loved to squeeze in his 'best 22' players even if they didn't suit the role he needed them to play.

You are doing the same in a different way. We have second half fade-outs. So let’s pick on Kennedy is your answer Because he is an easy target….and a very simple answer for you to earn some likes.

The answer to our fade-outs is complex and multi layered.

David King said last night that results this year are less important for Carlton than building a platform for success next year, I'd say preseason we all knew it but are losing sight of it a bit.

We probably have a 3-4 year window after this season and while we should play finals this year, it's still a work in progress
This!

I think our second half problems have nothing to do with Kennedy playing or not playing. The problems are elsewhere.

Kennedy is you scape goating.
You are doing the same in a different way. We have second half fade-outs. So let’s pick on Kennedy is your answer Because he is an easy target….and a very simple answer for you to earn some likes.

The answer to our fade-outs is complex and multi layered.
I'm not picking him as a scape goat, or looking to blame him.
If Cripps doesn't get up this week, I'd be thinking no change.
But Cripps is our best player, and we're expecting him to be fit. Someone has to go out for him, and I think I've explained pretty clearly why I think Kennedy is the one this week.

Kemp and Stockers' worst is better than Parkes, Newnes, Cottrel best. Put Kemp and Stocker back. Move Saad and Docherty to the wings

Stocker I'd agree with, although it's a small sample size of last year.

Kemp has serious talent but from what I (highlights, the practice game) see in the VFL is still pretty inconsistent.

couldn't believe the way port brought the ball down the wing and flanks 3 times in a row yesterday without us touching it..........

Maybe it’s because the players had to write
“I shall protect the corridor at all costs” 100 times each on the team blackboard after the Hawks game…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It must be a fitness thing. We stop running and overlapping completely as the game progresses. We couldn't clear the ball out of our defensive half for a long period in the last quarter yesterday, like what happened against hawthorn and the WB. And that was purely because we weren't presenting in space anymore.

There is no way Voss will admit that publicly.
Obviously the club is aware of this because there was a 10 minute period in the third where we were camped in our forward 50 unable to convert. It seemed we went hammer and tong to try break the game before fatigue kicked in but we just couldn't score.

And oh yeah, Hewett is an absolute gun.
Yes this no run from behind is what worries me also and all our mids spend a lot of time defensive half rarely see them linking and getting inside 50 for a shot on goal-- stark difference to Richmond game (yes it was a yo-yo performance ) but the handball generated forward movement and we seemed to move in lines -was hoping half way through that GS game like St against freo would make us open up to run down the total but we were in that preservation mode all game - thank god it not my job to fix it ..

Back