AFL RDT 2023 AFL Dream Team Pre-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven’t watched a second of the practice games…can anyone shed light on rucks this year?? Seems like a nightmare…English barely had a pre season and has a brutal start to the season…Gawn and grundy too risky…Darcy Cameron been injured this pre season…Darcy has Luke Jackson at Freo…I had Witts last season he was infuriating with how many marks he dropped. Is it worth going for someone like Lloyd meek who should average 75 or pay up for English?
I have no idea. I’ll probably just copy you, can’t go wrong

So has everyone put Gulden in their team now?

I've had him in SuperCoach for a few weeks. I don't expect to see him in my RDT team though.

I've had him in SuperCoach for a few weeks. I don't expect to see him in my RDT team though.

I’m struggling with Errol!! My two options are:

Errol and bruhn or Dylan moore/Rozee and Flanders.

Moore is going to be a great POD who will score 90-100 every week. Won’t score 130s like Rozee, but I feel Rozee will cop a lot of attention this season.

So has everyone put Gulden in their team now?

I already had Gulden in my team, but wasn't convinced. You'd think 177 would help, but I'm still unsure. But I think he'll stay.

And somehow I now have Ridley, Flanders & Callaghan as well. All of whom leave me feeling uneasy.

Last edited:
McLean is a question mark for me now. First half of the practice game he was horrible, second half looked like an 80 avg player. Have kept him F5 for now

Bray vs Oliver...have gone with Bray for now as my M1

R2 is a question mark. Have gone with Witts for now

4 premo fwds now after bringing in Gulden. Cogs F1 doesn't excite me much, I should go a POD like Moore but don't trust myself with PODs (for obvious reasons). Dunks is in my midfield now

I'm spending up for W Phillips, Sheezel and Phillopou but don't think any of them would be decent scorers. But have no choice because there are SFA all rookies

I already had Gulden in my team, but wasn't convinced. You'd think 177 would help, but I'm still unsure. But I think he'll stay.

And somehow I now have Ridley, Flanders & Callaghan as well. All of whom leave me feeling uneasy.
I have all those bar Ridley. There is a spot there for Callaghan and he was very good at U18s level, so I think he'll do well unless he gets injured.

I'm not sure on Flanders and Gulden. Hopefully they still score well when Miller and Mills return.

New team. Selecting my backline based on who will likely play midfield which leads me to my top 5 and Constable is the odd man out, but he is set to play a lucrative half back role. Midfield is just about set. Not set on Flanders but i had the cash and not many players stand out at that price point. I may downgrade him and just start with a lot of cash in the bank. Thoughts are welcome

View attachment 1621037
That structure is completely different to your past team and I love it. Probably because it is very similar mine. :)
I've got 3 premium defenders then Yeo and two rookies on field.
Similar to you I have 4 premium mids, 1 mid pricer and 3 on field rookies. Mitchell was one of my first DT players picked this year but I've gone off him as I feel Collingwood's game plan will not allow him all the +6s he used to get in his piggy days. I don't expect much more than 100-105 from him this year. Sure, that's more than he's priced at but not the increase I was originally hoping for.
I had Marshall and Lycett as my rucks but that has now changed to Marshall and Witts. I'm $20K short of going with English but I'm not overly concerned. I think his round 1 matchup of Gawn/Grundy will make for a tough start.
I have 4 premiums plus McLean and Sheezel as forwards.
So, the structures very similar but we have 8 different starters.

What influence will the new sub rule have this year?
I feel that a number of our cash cows will not grow as quickly as past years by the mere fact that many of them will be selected as the sub and consequently will likely play less than 50% game time. Those selected as the sub last year quite often didn't get on the ground at all and therefore their price wasn't hurt. Looking at someone playing 2-3 games in a row averaging 50-60 and increasing in value quite nicely will cop a belting when given the sub role and scores a 20-30. That will kill cash generation.
Makes me think that a couple more mid pricers who will not be used as a sub may be a better way to go.

I think we were hoping McLean would step into Dunkley's role, but it looks like his CBAs are being split between our big five mids instead. Makes sense, Bont, Macrae, Libba, Treloar, and Smith are a potent midfield mix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What influence will the new sub rule have this year?
I feel that a number of our cash cows will not grow as quickly as past years by the mere fact that many of them will be selected as the sub and consequently will likely play less than 50% game time. Those selected as the sub last year quite often didn't get on the ground at all and therefore their price wasn't hurt. Looking at someone playing 2-3 games in a row averaging 50-60 and increasing in value quite nicely will cop a belting when given the sub role and scores a 20-30. That will kill cash generation.
Makes me think that a couple more mid pricers who will not be used as a sub may be a better way to go.
There will be a lot of interested fantasy coaches when the team sheets are announced an hour before the start of the game :oops:

Starting piecing my team together over the past couple of days. Finding it really hard to settle on the defenders.

There doesn’t seem to be the underprice premiums we the other lines have, that everyone likes to select. Yeo seems like an easy enough choice. Bowes I’ve got questions about, but will likely start due to a lack of alternatives. Constable just doesn’t make sense as that quarter back, seem like their injury list has hypes him up, and seems like a round 3 type of trap.

Can see myself stumbling with poor selections here, so Im starting to seriously think about locking Doch, Sinclair and Dawson in as D1-3 and run a little light in the midfield. There’s not much value there, but guaranteed premium score and not getting caught out with the Diacos, Young and McGrath type of score that fall annoyingly short of those above.

Starting piecing my team together over the past couple of days. Finding it really hard to settle on the defenders.

There doesn’t seem to be the underprice premiums we the other lines have, that everyone likes to select. Yeo seems like an easy enough choice. Bowes I’ve got questions about, but will likely start due to a lack of alternatives. Constable just doesn’t make sense as that quarter back, seem like their injury list has hypes him up, and seems like a round 3 type of trap.

Can see myself stumbling with poor selections here, so Im starting to seriously think about locking Doch, Sinclair and Dawson in as D1-3 and run a little light in the midfield. There’s not much value there, but guaranteed premium score and not getting caught out with the Diacos, Young and McGrath type of score that fall annoyingly short of those above.
Yeah its hard to get the right mix of backs. I've actually gone the opposite way to you and am only starting 1 genuine gun (Docherty) and then a few mid-pricers and i just cross my fingers and hope.

You've got Rozee as a premium but not Cogs in the fwds?

Is cogs a lock to play permanent midfield?? I feel he will spend more time forward especially to start the season. Other than Toby Greene, GWS doesn’t have great small forward depth.

Kelly, green, ward, ash, perryman, Callaghan should all play big midfield minutes…

Rozee’s end to 2022 was elite..his pre-season this year he has been permanent midfield. Port doesn’t have great midfield depth…

Do we think that Bowes will actually get a game? Who does he replace from the premiership team?

Is cogs a lock to play permanent midfield?? I feel he will spend more time forward especially to start the season. Other than Toby Greene, GWS doesn’t have great small forward depth.

Kelly, green, ward, ash, perryman, Callaghan should all play big midfield minutes…

Rozee’s end to 2022 was elite..his pre-season this year he has been permanent midfield. Port doesn’t have great midfield depth…
24 touches with just 68% game time in the practice match v GC seems a lock as a midfielder for mine.

Last year he averaged premium numbers and I feel his role should only get better personally.

No reason Rozee can't join them as premiums but Cogs is already there so I don't see him going backwards from last year myself.

Yeah its hard to get the right mix of backs. I've actually gone the opposite way to you and am only starting 1 genuine gun (Docherty) and then a few mid-pricers and i just cross my fingers and hope.
This was my initial setup, however I’m getting cold feet with it. It does give me a Midfield, Ruck and Forward line I’m happy with though.

Doch is basically a lock for me, I’m going to want him at some stage. At his likely price, it will save me burning 3+ trades to make it happen.

I’m just not confident in the other midpricers. Will Day is an option, but he has had his injury concerns.
Yeo is a lock for his price, but his past suggests you’d want adequate cover.
Bowes is an option if named.
Constable is potentially a trap, with Powell and Weller to come back soon enough, and the additional of long, Ellis in the wings also.

Ginbey looks the goods, and appears to be a good D6.
I think both McKenna and Wilmot will get a decent run at it early, but their recent scoring, ideally they’re not starting quality.
Cowen didn’t set the world on fire either.

Potentially putting a lot of eggs in one basket here. If your heavy on midprices, it limits your sideways trading option if it doesn’t go quiet to plan too.

I think a lot of people will be going with a similar strategy but there’s potential to pick up points when other are eating 40/50 from the likes of McKenna, Wilmot, Cowen, if your team is more balanced.

Do we think that Bowes will actually get a game? Who does he replace from the premiership team?

It appears Geelong got Bowes over the line by making him a priority over just the pick attached. If he’s named I will likely be starting him. My uneducated opinion is, I’m unsure who’s spot he takes but I do think there is a spot there for him.

And now I read Ross Lyon has said Tom Campbell will play..makes Marshall no longer a lock. Incredible

Remove this Banner Ad

Back