2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with Thursday nights is the AFL is up against some other very popular top rating shows. So I wonder if Ch 7 are still so wrapped in Thursday nights?

To give you an idea of 7's treatment of the AFL, compared to 9 and the NRL. Tonight on 9 main into Melbourne is the usually low rating storm game, whilst the high rating into Melbourne ashes has been shoved off to 9gem.

On 7 you have no sports competition, yet the grand final replay is shoved off to 7 mate in Sydney, in preference of some crap film.

To me it looks less than last week Sydney / Eagles which I think was ~31,600? If so, I reckon it’s around 29/29,500.
Slightly disappointing crowd if so. Would have expected a big roll up on a Friday night after a win like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting day today.

I assume Crows / Roos will get the usual 34-36,000 today in Adelaide?

Dogs / Dockers - A good encounter under the roof. You’d certainly hope it draws over 20,000. I think anything in the low 20’s would be a decent crowd today. It has ramifications on the finals race so an interesting matchup no doubt.

Suns / Pies - Sold out so assume it’s somewhere between 22-23,500.

Bombers / Power - Ticket sales have been pretty decent. Not too many GA bays tonight on ground level, only 5 in the Ponsford Stand. Good pre-sales on N/Q levels in Olympic / Ponsford Stands. Showers clearing this arvo, depends on EFC member show rate. No idea what crowd it gets.

That's 2/3 full which seems about right to me.
It was, not sure what he's going on about. As a regular I did the usual - bet with my sibling on crowd attendance thing we do every home game - and I had 31k by sight alone so I'm baffled by the implication it was inflated.

Expecting 50,000 tonight for Essendon v Port. One of those rare matches where you have no idea what the number will be.
That would be an unbelievable crowd if it were, no precedent previously supports a crowd of 50,000 against the Power.

I have no idea. It feels like a high 30’s type Marvel crowd, there will obviously be the additional AFL / MCC layers to this. I literally have no idea either, other than it appears public seating pre sales this week appear pretty solid. It could be anywhere between 35-50,000 and I’m guessing tbh.

The great thing about the Storm playing at Marvel is the AFL makes money out of the NRL!

I see the NRL a pinched another AFL innovation with flogging beanies for cancer research apart from Magic Round have they ever thought of anything by themselves?

The beanies were Neale Daniher and his daughters idea, not the AFL. And I think the AFL would kill to have something similar to State Of Origin.

The beanies were Neale Daniher and his daughters idea, not the AFL. And I think the AFL would kill to have something similar to State Of Origin.
I think that ship has sailed unfortunately. As soon as the competition transcended from being a state league to a genuine national comp, however much we would like it, it negated the need for a state of origin with all states already being represented. State of Origin only works so well in the NRL because there’s only 2 states that avidly follow the code, with its support in other states being basically non existent. Makes it easier to schedule, ensures the best of the best play, and it becomes the marquee draw card of their code.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back