Discussion 2023 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one could dispute that jumping to block an opponent's kick is a totally acceptable football action. The issue for Maynard is that he wasn't stationary when he jumped, but had forward momentum. A collision with Brayshaw therefore became inevitable. So does that change the incident from accidental to careless (duty of care)?

Head high contact and severity of impact don't matter if it's graded accidental as there will be no case to answer. But it does if it's graded as careless.

I reckon the Pies would win it on appeal in either event.

Only an hour away from kick off and the game has no bearing on us at all yet somehow I find myself getting nervous awaiting the Blues vs Swans.
Maybe because it’s getting closer to our elimination game.
I don’t no. Anyway go Swans.

No one could dispute that jumping to block an opponent's kick is a totally acceptable football action. The issue for Maynard is that he wasn't stationary when he jumped, but had forward momentum. A collision with Brayshaw therefore became inevitable. So does that change the incident from accidental to careless (duty of care)?

Head high contact and severity of impact don't matter if it's graded accidental as there will be no case to answer. But it does if it's graded as careless.

I reckon the Pies would win it on appeal in either event.
I wouldn’t want a Saints player to miss for that

The thing with Maynard is that he had the ability to make a decision shift his body and brace for the impact which means he could have made another decision that could have had a different outcome.

I find it hard to accept the defence that he was protecting himself when he engaged the action in the first place, if you run and jump at another player, then I think you have a duty of care - knocking out the other guy to protect yourself from your own actions doesn't feel right. It'd be like picking a fight with someone at a pub, hitting them and then claiming self,defence because you thought they were going to hit you... when you've started it, yeah, nah.

Also, and I know it doesn't come into it but Bradshaw's out for next week and with his historymofmconcusion could be out for the season, so Melbourne's down a star through no fault of their own, that also doesn't seem that fair to me either.

Blues tears are gonna taste so good when they lose tonight. Swans in a close one…

Did you read their banner? A strong united club...

Friggen lol. BRING OUT YOUR KNIVES!

Owens almost had his head caved in by his team mate against the Giants.
How often does that happen.
Footballing accidents can be rare.
Knees in marking contests are a reasonably common occurrence. Haven't seen a player knocking someone out by "protecting themselves" from leaping and trying to smother

I wouldn’t want a Saints player to miss for that

I wouldn't like it but that's the way the game has headed recently. Can't see him getting off. His best hope is it gets downgraded to 2 weeks or something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that your “handsome Dougal looking at the sky” avatar picture?

There was one of those Facebook feeds with the Caesars of Rome and one looked identical to Dougal. I think it was Augustus. Handsome Dougal looks more brit pop.

It's time to be a Swans supporter, it would be awesome to see them knock off Carlton tonight but I expect Carlton to win.

No doubt the umpires will be favouring Carlton, the AFL will want another sell out crowd at the G next week with Carlton playing Melbourne.

There was one of those Facebook feeds with the Caesars of Rome and one looked identical to Dougal. I think it was Augustus. Handsome Dougal looks more brit pop.
Obama Roma GIF by Colosseum

Then they dig his face up and he's got a Greek nose as it is massive.

I wouldn't like it but that's the way the game has headed recently. Can't see him getting off. His best hope is it gets downgraded to 2 weeks or something.
I thought McCartin the other week should of missed 2

I’m not sure what Maynard did wrong

Not try to smother the ball ? Just let Gus kick into the 50

I thought McCartin the other week should of missed 2

I’m not sure what Maynard did wrong

Not try to smother the ball ? Just let Gus kick into the 50

I thought he braced to protect himself. It's the outcome over the action these days....unless you're Hunter Clark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back