Autopsy 2023 Semi Final Blues win a thriller!

Who played well for the Blues in the SF vs Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of fuss about nothing in this and other threads about who won or lost the game. Multiple things can all be true:

- We were unlucky to be missing H and Martin

- We were lucky that Melbourne failed to take the opportunities they had to close out the game

- We were good enough to take our opportunity when the moment presented

It's silly to get upset with media types for pointing out Melbourne's contribution to losing the game. It's true, it happened. No 2 minute grab is going to provide a comprehensive account of reasons for the result. By far the majority of the discussion since the final siren has been about how good we were, particularly in those last moments. I have no issue with the media rounding things out by also pointing out where Melbourne failed.
Yep. Sure as hell beats all the video review whining after we last beat them. Focus clearly on them. We can sneak off the Brissy on our next stealth mission.

Just saw Fox Sports gave Oliver an A- for his game

I must have to get a new TV because the only time I ever noticed him was when he was turning the ball over.

I saw the game on TV then watched the replay Saturday.

Only times I recall seeing him were once when he tackled Cezz and when he gave that 50 up on their goal line....

Just watched the game again.

It wasn’t just Weiters who took the game in by foot in the last quarter.

When behind in the last:

• MCG did (got intercepted by Oliver but good idea).
  • Newman did (came off)
  • hollands did after kick in (came off)
  • walsh (kind of worked)
  • hewett off the line (wasn’t risky but same approach)
  • then of course weiters and hollands again

It doesn’t all work. But it is like a chess game: continual attacking keeps them on the back foot and second guessing themselves.

Just watched the game again.

It wasn’t just Weiters who took the game in by foot in the last quarter.

When behind in the last:

• MCG did (got intercepted by Oliver but good idea).
  • Newman did (came off)
  • hollands did after kick in (came off)
  • walsh (kind of worked)
  • hewett off the line (wasn’t risky but same approach)
  • then of course weiters and hollands again

It doesn’t all work. But it is like a chess game: continual attacking keeps them on the back foot and second guessing themselves.
This is the thing about McGovern he will take a 45 kick on and make a horrendous mistake and the next time he has the chance he doesn’t hesitate and pulls the trigger. This is incredibly important because as we know if we do not take on the switch kicks we are no chance to win the big games.

Just saw the SEN footage of the Blues radio with Andy Maher, Dominator and Sellers versus the Demons radio with Tom Morris and some nuffie.

Seriously - is that the best the Demons could come up with ? That was embarrassing !!
I didn’t mind the demons call.

Sense of foreboding in their voice even before we hit the front.

And the “ah s**t” during the passage of play that lead to that goal, was perfect.

Just watched the replay.

Umpires were fine. They missed a few both ways but that’s real life.

Furthermore, their scoring shots and missed opportunities is over dramatised. Realistically they missed 2/3 genuine chances. We butchered about 6 inside 50s that would have ended in a score of some form.

Don’t listen to the crap from other fans. It was dead even that game and we just clutched it when it mattered.

Finally, some behind the goal vision of Acres' last goal.

Not much insight there, either. No mention of the fact that Melbourne's "one defender" as Docherty kicked to the top of the square, was Fritsch! Where was Melbourne's actual back six? I get that Lever kicked the ball to start the chain... where was May? Disappeared like it was his shout!

Am I the only one who thinks Acres did the right thing by playing on?

Taking 30 seconds off the clock is something you do when you're already in front.

Going back and taking that kick over the mark from 10m further out under high pressure is not a certainty. And if you miss it - you've just sealed your own fate by wasting 30 seconds that you now need.

I'd much rather actually be in front and have to defend the lead for an extra 30 seconds.
Agree with this. In the moment, with the pressure and uncertainty of time left etc., you grab the goal. And I figure he saw he was free and took it rather than kick over someone from 15 out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I'm over going to catch up with this thread, but 2 negatives from me.

1. Brian taylor calling Ollie Hollands kick "kick wasn't great to docherty". How he is considered decent by anyone is beyond me.

2. Much more important one. How on earth can they only play the song once after that game? I assume it's to do with it being Melbournes home game and them being the sorest of losers? It was great it resulted in us belting it out acapella, but ridiculous that we had to.

Not much insight there, either. No mention of the fact that Melbourne's "one defender" as Docherty kicked to the top of the square, was Fritsch! Where was Melbourne's actual back six? I get that Lever kicked the ball to start the chain... where was May? Disappeared like it was his shout!
Doc’s mark and play on, and bounce threw them into total chaos because had he marked and gone back he’d have kicked to May. He took them all out of play by taking ground and kicking long. He did the unexpected. Just like Weiters did. Can’t really plan for it. I don’t really think Melb did that much wrong. It’s all easy in hindsight. People act like Acres was alone for 10 minutes. He snuck forward for 30. It’s just not that easy with the crowd screaming and the ball going across the ground. Impossible for them to have their eyes everywhere.

They just got beaten by a brilliant play. Simple as that.

Split second before crippa does the post game interview with Abby.

Turn the volume up.
The channel 7 footage of crowd, coaches and player reactions on siren is fabulous.

Am I the only one who thinks Acres did the right thing by playing on?

Taking 30 seconds off the clock is something you do when you're already in front.

Going back and taking that kick over the mark from 10m further out under high pressure is not a certainty. And if you miss it - you've just sealed your own fate by wasting 30 seconds that you now need.

I'd much rather actually be in front and have to defend the lead for an extra 30 seconds.
Pretty sure he has said that was the reason

Bit of fuss about nothing in this and other threads about who won or lost the game. Multiple things can all be true:

- We were unlucky to be missing H and Martin

- We were lucky that Melbourne failed to take the opportunities they had to close out the game

- We were good enough to take our opportunity when the moment presented

It's silly to get upset with media types for pointing out Melbourne's contribution to losing the game. It's true, it happened. No 2 minute grab is going to provide a comprehensive account of reasons for the result. By far the majority of the discussion since the final siren has been about how good we were, particularly in those last moments. I have no issue with the media rounding things out by also pointing out where Melbourne failed.
End of the day who gives a *.

Was anyone crying for us when we should of beaten the pies R23 last year?

I reckon it's been over 20 years since I have been this proud of our football club.

Exceptional resilience by the key people to stay the course this year & not fold to media pressure when the chips were down.
Maybe parts of 2011, and us for winning the 2013 Eliminaton final (though the loss to essendon 2 weeks earlier was a travisty, and we really weren't a very good side).

But yes, first time it feels we are a legit footy team with serious grunt since 2000-01.

Just watched the replay.
Agree with NewDarkNB, the Dees' misses have been very over-blown. And they were very lucky to be up at 3/4 time.

It was a high pressure error-riddled game.
They were ill disciplined, and we took our moments better than they did.

Walsh BOG (obviously), Cripps and Weitering were ******* enormous.

Back