Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

The crowds fine really, probably just hits the park mark and shows that Richmond have grown their supporter base since winning the flag compared to their pre flag numbers.

It's just *ing annoying cos I know if my club along with North, St.kilda and WB got a number like that (or close to) we'd get asbolute roasted by the media and every other fan even though our fan bases are significantly smaller than the big 4 clubs
30k would be a pretty good number for us vs an interstate side especially for us Marvel teams, the point lies in the fact that the equivalent percentage of our membership with Richmond’s turnout would be like 15-18k. I haven’t been to a Bulldogs game in a long time that has dropped below 20, even on Mothers Day and Easter.

I think it does highlight though how many 3 game/less than 9 game home memberships account for a large percentage of the bigger clubs membership numbers, not that we didn’t know that already.

If it were Melbourne, st kilda or the dogs and it was 25k we’d all be getting slaughtered.

25 isn't 30. But why would you get slaughtered, now if it were sub 20K no doubt. You would if you're top 4/top 8 as we would or any team for that matter. If you are losing and down the bottom 30K of your own supporters on Sunday at 4pm on grand prix day is definitely a pass mark.

If Melbourne or Dogs are bottom 4 and they get 25K V Port or V Freo no one should begrudge that.

Last edited:
25 isn't 30. But why would you get slaughtered, now if it were sub 20K no doubt. You would if you're top 4 as we would or any team. If you are losing and down the bottom 30K of your own supporters on Sunday at 4pm on grand prix day is definitely a pass mark
We just do cop it no matter what the crowd is. Hell St.kilda got 25k against Port which was a record at Marvel, and they copped it.
We got 42k against the Swans last year on GP day and still copped it. It was just insane to me.

I think Melbourne Fans (and doggies, Stkilda, North fans) are just getting really sick of it and the hypocrisy is crazy. I really do think it was an ok crowd, but hardly anyone is criticising the tigers fans when they would be criticising the smaller clubs if they got a similar number

Last edited:
We just do cop it no matter what the crowd is. Hell St.kilda got 25k against Port which was a record at Marvel, and they copped it.
We got 42k against the Swans last year on GP day and still copped it. It was just insane to me.

I think Melbourne Fans (and doggies, Stkilda, North fans) are just getting really sick of it and the hypocrisy is crazy. I really do think it was an ok crowd, but no one is criticising the tigers fans when they would be criticising the smaller clubs if they got a similar number

As mentioned in my post. Depends where you are on the ladder. Dees V Swans were both top 8, 42K good crowd.
Saints V Port, Friday night football, Prime slot. Saints 1st V Port 7th. 25K is not a good crowd.

Mate come on I hear where you're coming from you guys cop it unfairly at times but you're comparing games where the teams are all in the top 8, we are not comparing apples with apples. As an example here are some games where we have played swans and port whilst in the 8.

Rich 4th V Swans 16th, nearly 59K (Sat, MCG)
Rich V Swans both top 4, Thursday night 43.5K (Marvel)
Rich 5th V Port 9th almost 42K (Sat, MCG)

Last edited:
As mentioned in my post. Depends where you are on the ladder. Dees V Swans were both top 8, 42K good crowd.
Saints V Port, Friday night football, Prime slot. Saints 1st V Port 7th. 25K is not a good crowd.

Mate come on I hear where you're coming from you guys cop it unfairly at times but you're comparing games where the teams are all in the top 8, we are not comparing apples with apples. As an example here are some games where we have played swans and port whilst in the 8.

Rich 4th V Swans 16th, nearly 59K (Sat)
Rich V Swans both top 4, Thursday night 43.5K at Marvel
Rich 5th V Port 9th almost 42K (Sat)
?
I'm not comparing Richmond's crowds to Melbourne or St.Kilda or whoever at all. I'm moreseo just pointing out the bias and unfair criticism that the smaller clubs get compared to the bigger clubs

Richmond's crowds have been great in recent history, they get bigger crowds and should be getting bigger crowds becuase they're a bigger club. And I said that 30k against Port under the circumstances Is an okay/fine crowd.

Also your criticism of that 25k that St. Kilda is exactly what I'm talking about here. It was literally the record between the 2 clubs in Victoria, I dont know what more you could want, it's the best they can do becuase they just don't have a big supporter base.

I'm not comparing Richmond's crowds to Melbourne or St.Kilda or whoever at all. I'm moreseo just pointing out the bias and unfair criticism that the smaller clubs get compared to the bigger clubs

Richmond's crowds have been great in recent history, they get bigger crowds and should be getting bigger crowds becuase they're a bigger club. And I said that 30k against Port under the circumstances Is an okay/fine crowd.

Also your criticism of that 25k that St. Kilda is exactly what I'm talking about here. It was literally the record between the 2 clubs in Victoria, I dont know what more you could want, it's the best they can do becuase they just don't have a big supporter base.

I beg to differ did you happen to see saints crowds around 2009-2011 at marvel they were damn impressive, rarely under 30K against most teams. Even got 54K+ against the cats.

I think you're under selling the saints to a degree, When they are up and about they do get good crowds and last week V pies yes it was at the G but saints home game they were well represented in the stands. They were loud.

I articulated myself quite clear in that my 25K comment was based on 1st v 7th that's a fair statement and I didn't think i said anything untoward. I reiterate saints when they are up and about do pull good crowds but that wasn't one of them no biggy.

Last edited:
I beg to differ did you happen to see saints crowds around 2009-2011 at marvel they were damn impressive, rarely under 30K against most teams. Even got 54K+ against the cats.

I think you're under selling the saints to a degree, When they are up and about they do get good crowds and last week V pies yes it was at the G but saints home game they were well represented in the stands. They were loud.

I articulated myself quite clear in that my 25K comment was based on 1st v 7th that's a fair statement and I didn't think i said anything untoward. I reiterate saints when they are up and about do pull good crowds but that wasn't one of them no biggy.
I see your point on the Saints, but I still think the criticism was harsh considering it was a record between the 2 clubs in Victoria.

What I'm getting at is though, even if the Saints are up and about and start to average over 30k to their games, they will still cop unfair criticism that the big clubs don't get.
I know this because Melbourne had a good attended season last year, with only 2 home crowds under 30k (both were 29k) and we got slaughtered for it.

Ill leave it at that though, just venting my frustrations bit theres not much more for me to add.

Round 2 of the 2024 AFL Season was attended by 293,185 at an average of 36,648 per match. (55% capacity). This is down 21% on Round 2 last year.

The first three rounds of the 2024 season have been attended by 823,290 at am average of 39,204 (65% capacity). This is down 5.9% on the first three rounds of 2023.

The 21 game 2024 season average is down 7.05% on the first 21 games of 2023.

data: http://afl.com.au
capacity data: http://austadiums.com (@au_sport)

1711318614150.png

After Round 2.

Home Crowd Average:
  • Carlton = 83,881
  • Collingwood = 78,933
  • Essendon = 73,805
  • St Kilda = 69,517
  • Adelaide = 44,758
  • Melbourne = 44,100
  • Hawthorn = 43,960
  • West Coast = 42,401
  • Fremantle = 40,604
  • Geelong = 39,352
  • Sydney = 37,483
  • Brisbane Lions = 33,367
  • Port Adelaide = 33,230
  • Richmond = 30,254
  • North Melbourne = 17,589
  • Gold Coast = 16,776
  • GWS = 14,635
  • Western Bulldogs = 9,752

Home and Away Crowd Average:
  • Hawthorn = 58,883
  • Carlton = 58,624
  • Collingwood = 56,562
  • St Kilda = 54,435
  • Essendon = 54,380
  • Sydney = 51,300
  • Richmond = 45,407
  • Melbourne = 42,691
  • Geelong = 42,055
  • West Coast = 37,816
  • Brisbane Lions = 36,986
  • Port Adelaide = 31,742
  • Fremantle = 29,097
  • Adelaide = 28,112
  • Western Bulldogs = 26,926
  • GWS = 23,890
  • Gold Coast = 14,435
  • North Melbourne = 12,812

Didn't even think the 17k was that bad, despite the skewering in the media. Freo never draw in Melbourne and we are coming off 5 bottom 4 years.

Richmond pulled 23,000 to their home game vs Gold Coast last year at Marvel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't even think the 17k was that bad, despite the skewering in the media. Freo never draw in Melbourne and we are coming off 5 bottom 4 years.

Richmond pulled 23,000 to their home game vs Gold Coast last year at Marvel.
Bit of a difference though to not playing in your regular home stadium. Stuck-up reserved seat holders not bothering, because they don't want to sit in a different seat etc.

Looking ahead to next week it should be a very solid round with good crowds across the country. Mostly ~40k+ I hope. The impact of it being Easter weekend can be hard to judge so l may be overestimating some of them, but l'd predict something like:

BRI - COL, Gabba: 33k
NM - CAR, Marvel: 46k
FRE - ADE, Optus: 42k
ESS - STK, Marvel: 40k
PA - MEL, AO: 40k
WB - WC, Marvel: 21k
RIC - SYD, MCG: 36k
HAW - GEE, MCG: 60k

Looking forward to this weekend!

Carl v Norrrrf - Good Friday will be massive again and I predict 44,000 will be there.

Essendon V St Kilda (Marvel) - There should be 40,000 + considering both teams are up and about. I know we lost but bomber faithful should see we did pretty well to hang in there against probably the best team in the comp right now. I expect a big Bomber roll up for the first home game at Marvel.

Richmond V Sydney (MCG) - I am genuinely intrigued by this one. After last weekend's poor turn out vs Port, the tigers' fans will/should pile in for this one with the help of the South Melbourne roll up. 45,000 Please!

Hawthorn v Geelong (MCG) - Easter Monday, rivals, Cats firing and Hawk fans don't like to miss this game should mean a 60-65,000 crowd effort you'd think right?!

Looking ahead to next week it should be a very solid round with good crowds across the country. Mostly ~40k+ I hope. The impact of it being Easter weekend can be hard to judge so l may be overestimating some of them, but l'd predict something like:

BRI - COL, Gabba: 33k
NM - CAR, Marvel: 46k
FRE - ADE, Optus: 42k
ESS - STK, Marvel: 40k
PA - MEL, AO: 40k
WB - WC, Marvel: 21k
RIC - SYD, MCG: 36k
HAW - GEE, MCG: 60k
40K for Port Melbourne will be way overs. Easter Saturday night games typically dont draw well and since Covid Port tend to draw between 32-38. Only game that were above 40 for them last year in home and away were the Showdowns, Gather Round and Collingwood top of table clash.

40K for Port Melbourne will be way overs. Easter Saturday night games typically dont draw well and since Covid Port tend to draw between 32-38. Only game that were above 40 for them last year in home and away were the Showdowns, Gather Round and Collingwood top of table clash.
Yeah fair enough, just saw that the corresponding game last year got 38k on a Friday so was hopeful that they can squeeze a couple thousand extra in while they’re still undefeated and hopes for the year are high. Will be interesting to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back