No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne look to be in alot of trouble.

Goodwin and the whole board, along with alot of support staff can't survive this.

The playing group will likely be decimated.

Sponsors will run to the hills.

They are gone for 2024.

Only thing that can save them if other clubs are implicated. Geez I hope we're clean although I'm nervous given what Lexie and Paige have been up to..........

Melbourne look to be in alot of trouble.

Goodwin and the whole board, along with alot of support staff can't survive this.

The playing group will likely be decimated.

Sponsors will run to the hills.

They are gone for 2024.

Only thing that can save them if other clubs are implicated. Geez I hope we're clean although I'm nervous given what Lexie and Paige have been up to..........
It just a storm in a teacup. There will be no implications as it is all covered by legal and medical jargon. Nothing to see here, move on, it's getting boring all this illicit drugs and Melbourne talk. And honestly who cares, it's so rife that as long as players turn up, are professional during working hours, not making a fool of themselves publicly, and not getting pinged on gameday then i could not give a stuff anymore.

It just a storm in a teacup. There will be no implications as it is all covered by legal and medical jargon. Nothing to see here, move on, it's getting boring all this illicit drugs and Melbourne talk. And honestly who cares, it's so rife that as long as players turn up, are professional during working hours, not making a fool of themselves publicly, and not getting pinged on gameday then i could not give a stuff anymore.

WADA may disagree as cocaine is classed as a S6 stimulant and banned for all competitions.

If they are shielding them from game day and the subsequent tests then there is a large issue.

WADA may disagree as cocaine is classed as a S6 stimulant and banned for all competitions.

If they are shielding them from game day and the subsequent tests then there is a large issue.
They're not playing so it doesn't matter. Avoiding it gets put down as private medical reasons and that's it.

It will depend on what the media, politicians and sponsors have to say........
That's the biggest issue - reputation. The source of MONEY. All the stuff about society and health etc etc etc is nothing compared to the hundred of millions of sponsor and TV dollars plus bums on seats.
The long term growth and health of the game depends on parents and kids. Drug scandals are the last thing the AFL wants.

Victim mentality. They're never going to improve when they think the world owes them.
That is the culture. From the CEO down through the fans & media... The whole state has this chip on it's shoulder actually. It's an entitlement that I've never quite understood... They constantly play victim but at the same time proclaim how much "better" they are. It's just screams insecurity to me.

They're not playing so it doesn't matter. Avoiding it gets put down as private medical reasons and that's it.

I have to disagree with that.

The organisation is trying to circumvent WADA and the players are doing the same. Bit of an issue there.

I don't really care if players use illicit drugs, to be honest; it's their choice.

Stuff like cocaine is pretty rife amongst professional athletes throughout the world, I've no doubt. I know it's a stimulant, but is it really something that gives you a competitive edge if you are only taking it on a Saturday night after a game, then nothing until your next game?

Have to draw a line somewhere and it's probably a good thing it's banned anyway. But still...

AFL has a PR nightmare on their hands here.

I don't really care if players use illicit drugs, to be honest; it's their choice.

Stuff like cocaine is pretty rife amongst professional athletes throughout the world, I've no doubt. I know it's a stimulant, but is it really something that gives you a competitive edge if you are only taking it on a Saturday night after a game, then nothing until your next game?

Have to draw a line somewhere and it's probably a good thing it's banned anyway. But still...

AFL has a PR nightmare on their hands here.

They have a big rug and a broom ready

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to disagree with that.

The organisation is trying to circumvent WADA and the players are doing the same. Bit of an issue there.
Or they are trying to stop players breaking the WADA code by not participating while on performance enhancing drugs.

If someone drives to the pub, gets shitfaced, but then leaves his keys with the publican and gets a ride home, we don’t think he’s dodging the DUI law. We think he’s doing the right thing (though might think less of him for getting shitfaced in the first place).

I profess to having no idea of the effects of cocaine, or how long these effects last. I’m happy to bow to the view of WADA that they can only be deemed to be performance enhancing if still detectable on game day. So WADA doesn’t care if athletes take cocaine when they are not in competition.

What these revelations shine a light on is the AFL’s illicit drug policy and what it is really trying to achieve. If known regular drug users are allowed to keep playing unless they are stupid enough to use recreational drugs too close to game day, it’s not achieving what I thought it was meant to be achieving of saving players from themselves. I have mixed feelings about whether they should be doing that anyway, but if they say they think they should, they should actually do it.

Brandon Jack self admitted he used Coke while he was at the club.

Wth?

The reality is . This was raised in Parliament by Wilkie.
It has political implications far beyond the usual waffle from journos.

The AFL will need to explain to Federal Parliament why this isn’t as clandestine as Andrew Wilkie made it appear.

Sports Integrity Australia only tests for illicit substances on game day… where cocaine and the like are considered performance enhancing.

This AFL system appears built to ensure no player with an illicit substance in their system takes the field, thus the integrity of the game isn’t compromised by a performance enhancing substance.

And a player isn’t left exposed to the four-year ban under the WADA code. The cup test sees to that.

Until today it looked like only the likes of Bailey Smith and Jack Ginnivan felt the consequences of the illicit drug code.

If you’re caught cold and you embarrass the brand you get a two-game ban.

But if you had an illicit substance in your system in the lead up to a game you were banned from playing. And it was called a hamstring.

The AFL will need to fully explain why this is appropriate and necessary and why it isn’t as clandestine as it was made to sound in Parliament last night.
BY GERARD WHATELEY

Last edited:
A politician making headlines with these claims from the safety of parliament privilege. Throw in a Tasmanian politician who opposes the new Tasmanian AFL stadium being built. Take what a politician says with a grain of salt at the best of times and then throw in a vested interest and this whole thing is over the top.

Or they are trying to stop players breaking the WADA code by not participating while on performance enhancing drugs.

If someone drives to the pub, gets shitfaced, but then leaves his keys with the publican and gets a ride home, we don’t think he’s dodging the DUI law. We think he’s doing the right thing (though might think less of him for getting shitfaced in the first place).

I profess to having no idea of the effects of cocaine, or how long these effects last. I’m happy to bow to the view of WADA that they can only be deemed to be performance enhancing if still detectable on game day. So WADA doesn’t care if athletes take cocaine when they are not in competition.

What these revelations shine a light on is the AFL’s illicit drug policy and what it is really trying to achieve. If known regular drug users are allowed to keep playing unless they are stupid enough to use recreational drugs too close to game day, it’s not achieving what I thought it was meant to be achieving of saving players from themselves. I have mixed feelings about whether they should be doing that anyway, but if they say they think they should, they should actually do it.

I get it but the way in which they are doing this is just off. AFL house mandated drug testing reeks to high heaven.

And on another line, who is to day it has just been coke?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back