List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

With Sam Marshall, Tom Gillett and Ryan Gilder(I really like the footage I have seen of Gilder, very minimal viewing though)all being from the academy, I am pretty sure you can only match 1 academy prospect in the top 20 if you finish top 4.... however unlikely they all get bid on in the top 20.

With Sam Marshall, Tom Gillett and Ryan Gilder(I really like the footage I have seen of Gilder, very minimal viewing though)all being from the academy, I am pretty sure you can only match 1 academy prospect in the top 20 if you finish top 4.... however unlikely they all get bid on in the top 20.
So do we do what Suns have done and throw the season we’re already 0-2 to get all Four Academy Farther/son draftees

So do we do what Suns have done and throw the season we’re already 0-2 to get all Four Academy Farther/son draftees
No we get Levi anyway being a father/son and at least 1 of the academy boys depending on where we finish.

As I said unlikely Gilder and Gillett get bid on in top 20, Marshall maybe... at this stage anyway, 1 or 2 or all 3 could have really good years and shoot up the rankings.

#lionsdonottank

Is Knightmare still around ;)
No Worries Wow GIF by Bounce

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1710924683153.png

Tinfoil Hat GIF by The Tick

The Lions have a number of strong top age draft prospects this year, I would think none of them are first rounders - but there is some great talent there.

Personally I don't see it with Marshall, he is a bit overrated and can't kick. Elite gut runner though and can find the footy. But if I had to rank the Lions prospects.

1. Gillet - 200+cm athlete, clean skills, good engine, good ruck craft. Weakness would be he has no mongrel and doesn't hold his grabs when there is contact. Also runs around like a 4th mid, instead of getting to the spots you want your ruckman to be.
2. Gallop - massive framed key forward, could explode this year. Not sure on height but 195cm+ and just a big bullocking forward. Reckon he is a draft bolter and could go high.
3. Gilder - 190+cm athletic defender/hybrid mid. One of the most athletic players in this crop nationally, but is not a great kick. Has every other AFL attribute there is.
4. Marshall - my comments on him are above.

I think all 4 of these guys will be on an AFL list next year, all of them 2nd/3rd round bids.

There is an elite small forward called Jake Fazeldeen, but think he is probably too small and doesn't have any obvious weapons to overcome his size. Hope I am wrong. Also a classy skinny defender (think Bob Murphy frame) called Munro who oozes class, but not sure he is ready for the next step. (Lions don't have rights to him either,. was in Suns academy before)

the 2025 crop is exciting for you though. Annable will be a 1st round pick midfielder. Then there are Geesu and Bridge, both of them super classy who need some finish work - but only 16 year olds.

The Lions have a number of strong top age draft prospects this year, I would think none of them are first rounders - but there is some great talent there.

Personally I don't see it with Marshall, he is a bit overrated and can't kick. Elite gut runner though and can find the footy. But if I had to rank the Lions prospects.

1. Gillet - 200+cm athlete, clean skills, good engine, good ruck craft. Weakness would be he has no mongrel and doesn't hold his grabs when there is contact. Also runs around like a 4th mid, instead of getting to the spots you want your ruckman to be.
2. Gallop - massive framed key forward, could explode this year. Not sure on height but 195cm+ and just a big bullocking forward. Reckon he is a draft bolter and could go high.
3. Gilder - 190+cm athletic defender/hybrid mid. One of the most athletic players in this crop nationally, but is not a great kick. Has every other AFL attribute there is.
4. Marshall - my comments on him are above.

I think all 4 of these guys will be on an AFL list next year, all of them 2nd/3rd round bids.

There is an elite small forward called Jake Fazeldeen, but think he is probably too small and doesn't have any obvious weapons to overcome his size. Hope I am wrong. Also a classy skinny defender (think Bob Murphy frame) called Munro who oozes class, but not sure he is ready for the next step. (Lions don't have rights to him either,. was in Suns academy before)

the 2025 crop is exciting for you though. Annable will be a 1st round pick midfielder. Then there are Geesu and Bridge, both of them super classy who need some finish work - but only 16 year olds.
I saw some limited vision of Gilder online and gee he looked a talent to my uneducated eye.

Not sure we want a ruck who is shy in the contest and has no mongrel, I think hunger for a contest is innate and hard to force/train.

Never heard of Gallop but a developing tall forward is exactly what we need so fingers crossed on him.

1. Gillet - 200+cm athlete, clean skills, good engine, good ruck craft. Weakness would be he has no mongrel and doesn't hold his grabs when there is contact. Also runs around like a 4th mid, instead of getting to the spots you want your ruckman to be
Well I guess we just offloaded Fullarton.

There’s the kid from Tassie, an ex-basketballer now chasing his football dream, and a blue-chip prospect with the genes to match.

The Age will follow prospective AFL draftees Nathaniel Sulzberger, Noah Mraz and Levi Ashcroft throughout the season as they bid to join the big time in November.

Levi Ashcroft
The surname grabs people’s attention first, but Levi Ashcroft’s talent and intangibles – from his leadership to how professional he already is – are why he could be this year’s No. 1 pick.

The son of triple premiership-winning ex-Lion Marcus and the brother of Will, the second selection in the 2022 draft, was one of only three bottom-age players, along with Finn O’Sullivan and Sid Draper, to make last year’s under-18 All-Australian team.

Ashcroft, who turned 17 on December 18, is a do-it-all midfielder who idolises Gary Ablett jnr and averaged 27 disposals and more than a goal a game for Coates Talent League premiers Sandringham Dragons last season.

The teenage star will try to complete the rare feat of playing in three straight flags for the Dragons in 2024, something his father achieved with the Brisbane Lions in the AFL (2001-03), after which he retired with a chronic hip problem to end an esteemed 318-game career.

Ashcroft is Sandringham’s co-captain with Brodie Findlay after winning the club’s best-and-fairest award last year.

“I want to be the best player in the draft. If that’s pick one, it’s pick one,” Ashcroft said.
“You’re always striving to be the best, whether it’s in your team, in the country, wherever. I feel like the best I can be, can be the best in the country, so that’s the goal.

“I’ve been inspired to keep performing, to be that, by my brother and people like [North Melbourne’s] Harry Sheezel and [Western Bulldog] Ryley Sanders, who I’ve played with at Sandy. Those guys have always been up there, and I’ve learned so much off them, and from what they’ve done.

“I feel like I can do the same and hopefully get into the AFL and make an impact like what they’re making.”

The obvious question for Ashcroft is whether he intends to follow in Will’s footsteps and be a Brisbane Lions father-son selection, or throw himself into an open draft where he could land anywhere.

For now, there is no decision. Will made his call in August of his draft year. The younger Ashcroft just wants to play football, starting with Calder Cannons at RSEA Park on Saturday.

The siblings share many similarities and are naturally competitive with one another, from the years they spent on the Gold Coast, where they would mark out a mini-football field with white spray paint in their front yard.
Sister Lucy, 14 and on track to be an AFLW player after representing Victoria at underage level, would team up with Levi against Will.
“Will had to kick it above his head for it to count as a mark. My sister and I would obviously kick it to each other – and we loved it,” Ashcroft said. “We’d play after school, before school, during holidays, on weekends, whenever we could.”
They tended to play more golf – Ashcroft has a handicap of seven – and cricket in the backyard as their football became more serious, before Will graduated to AFL ranks and moved back to Queensland, after the family relocated to Melbourne in 2019.

Like his older brother, Ashcroft has never had even a sip of alcohol and typically shuns going out, beyond something football-related.
“I have no interest [in alcohol]. I never saw what the point was in doing that. Neither has my brother,” he said. “I’m not obsessive, but I’m diligent and professional. I do extras and everything I can to be the best I can. But you’ve still got to have other things outside of footy, like golf – and I’m really into [watching] American sports. Doing other things, I think, is really important to your growth as a person.”

Thought you guys would be interested in this. U18 Suns v U18 Lions at 3pm.

Thanks, BTW what sort of a name for a bank is People First... so cringeworthy, if any bank is going to be honest the name should be Profits and Shareholders First bank.

Customers- Here is your key card now leave us the F... alone.

Thanks, BTW what sort of a name for a bank is People First... so cringeworthy, if any bank is going to be honest the name should be Profits and Shareholders First bank.

Customers- Here is your key card now leave us the F... alone.
Yeah, not a fan of the new name. Hopefully a better named sponsor comes along when the current contract expires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back